Reprocussions of Ignoring?

Started by Star Safyre, October 12, 2010, 05:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Safyre

I've got two questions:

I was curious if the staff consider whether or not a user is being Ignored in any of their decisions.

And second, I wanted to make sure: there's currently no way of blocking or hiding a certain user's posts, is there?
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Caeli

Quote from: Star Sapphire on October 12, 2010, 05:08:00 AMI was curious if the staff consider whether or not a user is being Ignored in any of their decisions.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at, here? What are you referring to?

QuoteAnd second, I wanted to make sure: there's currently no way of blocking or hiding a certain user's posts, is there?

I have nobody on my ignore list myself, so I can't confirm that this will happen, but ignoring someone not only blocks their private messages to you, it also hides the user's forum posts from view, though posts can be individually recovered.

You will see the following: "You are ignoring this user.  Show me the post."  This last sentence will be a link which you can click to restore this individual post.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Caeli

Having just tested out the ignore list, that is indeed what happens. The person's forum presence (avatars, taglines, etc.) is completely blocked, and there will be a link where there post should be stating that you are currently ignoring that user. A link giving you the option of viewing the post is available if you wish to read it.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Star Safyre

By my first question, I meant does the staff consider whether the user is being ignored when they make decisions about pending approvals (for the unapproved, NING, or staff positions).  Does someone being ignored play a factor in their decision to approve changes in member group?

As for the second, I am still able to see the posts of those I have ignored.  I don't mind ignoring them the old fashioned way, but I'd rather it be automated.  I've added to the ignore list, but I can still read the posts.  Am I doing it wrong somehow?

Caeli

Quote from: Star Sapphire on October 12, 2010, 05:26:10 AMBy my first question, I meant does the staff consider whether the user is being ignored when they make decisions about pending approvals (for the unapproved, NING, or staff positions).  Does someone being ignored play a factor in their decision to approve changes in member group?

Regarding approval: considering how many general members and mentors are active in the introductions forum, I have a difficult time believing that any applicant would feel anywhere close to "ignored" during the application process. The mentors, amazing folks that they are, have a very well-run system to ensure that nobody is kept wanting for company in their introduction threads. Every effort is made to interact with new members.

Regarding staff positions: people are only human. I can't answer your question one way or the other, because I don't think it's that big of a consideration. There are many more important factors when someone is being considered as a potential, future staff member.

QuoteAs for the second, I am still able to see the posts of those I have ignored.  I don't mind ignoring them the old fashioned way, but I'd rather it be automated.  I've added to the ignore list, but I can still read the posts.  Am I doing it wrong somehow?

I tested it out on the Elliquiy dummy account, and it worked fine, so I'm not sure what's going on here. Can you PM me with some screenshots, please?

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Trieste

I think there might be a difficulty here with communication; let me see if I can answer your questions as I've interpreted them.

Quote from: Star Sapphire on October 12, 2010, 05:26:10 AM
By my first question, I meant does the staff consider whether the user is being ignored when they make decisions about pending approvals (for the unapproved, NING, or staff positions).  Does someone being ignored play a factor in their decision to approve changes in member group?

Not unless someone specifically tells us there is a problem with the member, and then we look at it case by case. We're not mind-readers, and code doesn't allow us to check "Hey, is this person already on an ignore list?" - usually it's not needed. Members are welcomed to PM staff and/or Mentors if they have input on a new applicant.

Similarly, this isn't taken into account with NING members unless it's brought to our attention. You'd have to report it the old-fashioned way.

Quote from: Star Sapphire on October 12, 2010, 05:26:10 AM
As for the second, I am still able to see the posts of those I have ignored.  I don't mind ignoring them the old fashioned way, but I'd rather it be automated.  I've added to the ignore list, but I can still read the posts.  Am I doing it wrong somehow?

You currently have your settings such that people whom you've ignored can still PM you, and it's possible that the forum's code allows you to see the posts as well. If you go into your profile and go to personal message options, it will say something like "Who can PM me" followed by a dropdown. Right now, you have that dropdown set to "all users". Change it to "everyone except those on my ignore list" and see if that fixes things.

If not, you'll have to post or send screenshots, so we can help you better.

Star Safyre

Thanks, Trieste.  That's exactly what I wanted to know!  I'll try that method and let you all know if it works for me.  If not, I'll PM you.

Thanks!

Star Safyre

Bah!   :-\

I can still see the posts of the ignored.

Trieste, you can expect that PM with screenshots as soon as I tag my threads tomorrow after work, though I can't help but feel I'm making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Trieste

Well, when I put someone on my ignored list, it hides their posts automatically. So it's clearly some setting that I have in place, but you don't. It's not a big deal, just a question of figuring out what that is. :)

Star Safyre

Problem solved!

In my profile, I went to Look and Layout.  The third option from the bottom of the check boxes says, "Hide messages posted by members on my ignore list."  The default choice is unchecked.  Once checked, all the ignored posts go bye-bye.

*sigh*  I feel like it just got a lot nicer around here.   8-)

Thanks for your help, all!