A.I.s and Androids (Intrest Check)

Started by RabbitJanitor, September 27, 2011, 12:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RabbitJanitor

This is both an Interest check and an OOC post if it takes off.

~~~

The first A.I. was built and after a mass amount of testing, was made self aware. The First generations of A.I.s were made to operate heavy machinery or to maintain large manufacturing plants with Minimal outside help. It wasn't until ten years later that thees first generation A.I.s out thought themselves and went insane, destroying, becoming useless, or ranting about the 'Core God'. These A.I.s were quickly put down before any damage was done. A rule was then instated that Any A.I. that was activated was put on a lifespan fail safe subroutine. This would shut the A.I. down at a time designated by the government that was in direct correlation to the A.I.s thinking speed.

Advancement in Robotics also took a huge leap along with the A.Is. Companies were able to make human replicas, able to eat, simulate sleep, sweat, bleed, give off pheromones, acting exactly like a human, without giving away they were synthetic. Many times law enforcement would use these replicas to keep there officers out of harms way in riots or other dangerous situations.

In 2103 scientists discovered that the advanced A.I.s were communicating with robots and others of their kind across the world with encrypted signals. Fearful of this power, they severed their link. The magnitude of the Reach they had hit them hard. Almost all robots, androids, Skin Jobs, and A.I.s stopped. Just froze in mid walk. This day was known as The Day of Statues. It lasted for 24 hours exactly. When that time was up, all that froze turned violent. Fortunately bots in the streets were given the same capabilities as normal humans and they were easy to control. The riot was huge. After the advanced A.I.s fled into hiding. Smart and Self-Aware A.I.s were outlawed and life rebuilt itself.

It is now 2134. The threat of Androids walking among the living is still very real. Incidents still happen where Hunter-Killer units are found dead by 'Freak accidents' or brutal slaughterings. Very few units are acutely successful in catching Skin Jobs or A.I.s masquerading as protocol or working droids.

September 15th, 2134, in New York City, a bank robbery occurs. Seven men walk in toting heavy weapons and Cybernetics. One droid walks in with a pistol and looks like he's calling the shots. Everyone is told to get on the floor. A small group of people are gathered together on the floor doing what there told. As they look into each others eyes, something clicks. Something deep inside them awakens. There thoughts speed up. They are suddenly aware of utilities, functions and programs that were never brought to there attention. They feel stronger, have access to data entailing espionage and spy like training. They become self-aware.

~~~

Any one interested? Lots of action and thinking. Ive got some kool characters planed for you to meet and I'm hoping this takes off. Was thinking Blade Runner and a few songs I've been listening to. This is what i came up with. I'm looking for 2-4 others, in addition to one other who's already volunteered to be my plot driver.

AndyZ

Would we be allowed to play A.I.s and androids, or would we have to play ordinary people?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

RabbitJanitor

You'd be playing as one of the group that gets 'Switched on' in the bank robbery.

Frelance

I am definitely interested. I can't wait to see how this works out.
Evolution is an arms race

AndyZ

Count me as interested as well.  Presumably the characters look completely human; I'll look into finding a picture.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

RabbitJanitor

Yes they will look exactly like humans. Here's a character Sheet.

QuoteName:
Appearance:
Special Ability: (Weather it be a Gun arm, Or the ability to transfer out of your body into another data base)
Combat Specialty:
Bio:

Your character would of lived a normal life, having moved into the city about 10 years ago to do some rather high end job, unrelated to the other characters. They might be married, or have had adopted family, but not biological ones.

AndyZ

I'm a little confused.  Did the robots believe themselves to be human until something clicked and they realized that they were actually robots, or did they used to be ordinary robots who suddenly had something click and became self-cognizant?

RabbitJanitor

They thought they were human. Had memories installed to make them think they were human and when they met each other it clicked on.

AndyZ

Not sure if this fully fits the spirit of what you're going for, but I figure the best way to handle things is to post it and I can edit things later.  I also left in a possible plot hook, though this can easily be a red herring.

Name: Samantha Merryweather
Appearance:
Special Ability: Reading wireless signals
Combat Specialty: Unarmed combat
Bio: Samantha has vivid memories of her entire childhood, from a loving brother and parents, college, and her current job as a massage therapist.  Although her parents have passed away, her brother Timothy is still around and they still get along very well.  Maybe her brother knows something about what's going on with her, maybe not, sure isn't sure.  Each memory she has feels just as real as growing up, but she knows that she can't have been a child as a robot, so it's only confusing her. 

RabbitJanitor

Alright, for the most part you character sheet is accepted. I need you to add an age that she Thinks she is. And for the next people to join, No siblings or distant relatives. AndyZ, yours is alright, it gave me an idea.

Racaro

Name: Misha Hallus (But she now knows that last name is false)
Age: 17ish in appearance, but of what she can tell from her data she's probably closer to 35ish
Appearance:
Special Ability: Sonic Resonance; her hands store very sensitive yet power sonic emitters that at full volume can, at best, cause headaches in humans or shatter glass. However, she can narrow her fingers or begin to close her hands to focus this sound, allowing it to become much more deadly. It is a medium range weapon at best, but it is devastating in closer quarters. However, she is blind.
Combat Specialty: Assassination, quick kills, melee
Bio: From what her data banks can recall, she was always used for killing people, but he memories have always been hazy at best. Since she never had the ability to "see" she always went off of sounds and coordinates given to her. Despite how controversial their use was, she still believes she has killed her fair share of people. The area of her memories awakened when she became "aware" had been quite violently deleted, the soonest since that blank being something about having an older brother she would constantly cling to for protection. Jerod Hallus, the one who brought her to the bank in the first place, is the son of one of two people; the last man she had been sent to kill... or the man who had been using her as a killing machine. She no longer really feels any attachment to Jerod, but then again, to maintain appearance, she's still clinging to his arm in "fear."

(If this is a bit too... much... then I can come up with someone else, or possibly even change some of her background... I guess just let me know if I need to change anything, or come up with someone new entirely. Also, sorry the pic is so big... she's the one with the blindfold)
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=121089.0 - Looking for someone to RP with...

RabbitJanitor

Character is awesome concept and I like the special ability. But your going to have to edit her background. They dint get awakened until they're in the Bank. They wouldn't of moved to the city about 2-8 years ago and gotten a job of some sort. Have a social life and what not.

Racaro

So they would have had to been made with their clean slate memories (or implanted or whatever?) cause I tried wording it appropriately enough to express that she was at one time used for her intended purpose, then for whatever reason she was "clean slated"
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=121089.0 - Looking for someone to RP with...

RabbitJanitor

Right, but your character doesn't become self aware until the bank account, witch is where im intending to kick off the story. If your character was used for something else before this 'tasking' then his/her memory would of been wiped before they were put in place.

Racaro

Okay, would she perhaps occasionally get fragments of those memories that were whipped? I can go with clean slate on the memory, but would she at-least know the purpose she was made for? (as an assassin)

RabbitJanitor

Yea, sure, but she wouldn't start getting them until after she was self aware. Maybe some vague 'Dreams' before, but thought of nothing more then a dream.

Racaro

Okay (I thought it was implied the flashbacks would only occur after she was aware... guess it wasn't as much as I thought) so otherwise she's good then?

RabbitJanitor

Racaro

So how many people are you waiting for before we can get this thing rolling?

RabbitJanitor

I'll bug frelance and see if he's still interested, If he is, we'll wait for his character and then I'll get an IC going.

Frelance

Let me know if he needs any modifications.

Name: Mikel Kade

Age: Looks 25: Commission date 2097 so he is 37 years old.

Appearance:

Special Ability: Can tap into electrical circuits and either cause a surge through the system or use the power to cause a directed EMP.

Combat Specialty: Mid range, prefers assault rifles.
Bio: He grew up with two parents who were active in their careers and so they were mostly absent from his child hood memories. He remembers the different teachers who would come to the home and the housekeepers who would take care of him.

From an early age he seemed to have a knack for programming in any language so when he graduated high school he went to a local college for their programming courses. While there he won a large amount of contests that his professors’ had directed him to.

He was hired by one of the largest programming companies which had been growing constantly since The Day of Statues now that non-Ai programs were needed. He had gone from a low level programmer to one of the companies high level project managers. He had friends from work but other than a few people he had gotten to know from his apartment complex he had focused on his work and a few projects of his own.
Evolution is an arms race

AndyZ

Racaro