WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revelation

Quote from: Andol on October 26, 2023, 10:20:10 PMI could not disagree more completely. If you go by rule of cool on how it looks especially at the start, then you find out that Warhammer is not for you or a faction is not for you then at least you have a model you think is cool as a display piece. If you are just going for playstyle... then what they look like doesn't matter... and it defeats the entire purpose of the part of the hobby that is assembling and painting cool models. Unless you plan on getting someone else to do that for you which you can do.
I'll definitely agree with this as I feel you'll spend a lot of time (Possibly more time than pushing them across a table!) assembling, prepping, and painting/gussisng your models up. 40k is as much a hobby as it is a game. I feel if you don't enjoy one side the other side will suffer.

TotesRider

Oh damn just found out about Kill Team. Definitely seems more my speed and a bit more cost friendly. I'll need to look into it more and see if there's a peeps to play with around me

Revelation

Kill team seems fun, but I haven't gotten into it. The game does play very differently from 40k though, but would definitely be friendlier as far as initial buyins go.

TotesRider

Quote from: Revelation on November 09, 2023, 12:32:06 PMKill team seems fun, but I haven't gotten into it. The game does play very differently from 40k though, but would definitely be friendlier as far as initial buyins go.
Ayup seems like it. Think that's how I'll go. Though now they made choosing my first army a bit harder.
At first I was angling towards either Gellerpox Infected or Grey Knights. But just yesterday they announced Night Lords are getting their own kill team and they look gnarly as fuck

Ollumhammersong

Anyone else playing 'Realms of Ruin' The new age of sigmar rts?
Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.

AlizsahTheBard

I always preferred Warhammer Fantasy, since The Empire while far from perfect is still million times better than Imperium of Man. That and there is no reason we should not get femme space marines at least Soritotas exist I suppose, but yeah another reason for me. Is there not enough femme icons I can enjoy and even though it started as satire, 40K feels less like satire nowadays.
A Tiefling Most Private (Naughty Thot) Thoughts - AlizsahTheBard Search Thread
"And so we go, on with our lives. We know the truth but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss. Why go against tradition when we can?
Admit defeat, live in decline! Be the victim of our own design...
The status quo, built on suspect. Why would anyone stick out their neck?"
The Decline NOFX

Andol

I can give you plenty of Female Icons spread throughout the lore of 40k if you are interested in reading about them. My personal favorite two is Celestine the Living Saint and Ephreal Stern. Then there is Lotara Sarrian... the captain of the Conquer who was basically able to tell Angron to go fuck up and not end up dead. Plus there is many interesting characters spread among the Sisters of Silence or the Calludus assassins. 

I would take a few sisters of battle over a space marine any day. They where the same armor, the only difference is one is powered by modifications. The other by a WAGGHH level faith in the Emperor that has the exact same effect of just making things happen on sheer faith like a bunch of badasses. Yes they where my first army and exactly why I got into 40k so I am a little basis.    

Ollumhammersong

Then there are all the eldar and dark eldar female characters throughout a plethora of books, the video games, etc. Severina Raine is a new commissar character that is reasonably popular. Numerous imperial guard characters, a handful of imperial knights, various tech priests, one or two named genecult magi and of course Tau Commander Shadowsun.

And of course, the sisters of silence who are pretty badass.

It's really just the space marines/chaos space marines/custodes that are strictly male only.

Gw's actually been bending over backward since the release of 8th edition to include more female characters in every other faction it can squeeze them into. Maybe it's not as represented in the models, but the characters are definitely there in the lore, books and games.
Hi i'm a polymorphic alien who has taken the form of this signiature to have sex with your pupils, and by the smile on your face I can tell your enjoying it.

Andol

Quote from: Ollumhammersong on November 21, 2023, 10:23:32 PMThen there are all the eldar and dark eldar female characters throughout a plethora of books, the video games, etc. Severina Raine is a new commissar character that is reasonably popular. Numerous imperial guard characters, a handful of imperial knights, various tech priests, one or two named genecult magi and of course Tau Commander Shadowsun.

And of course, the sisters of silence who are pretty badass.

It's really just the space marines/chaos space marines/custodes that are strictly male only.

Gw's actually been bending over backward since the release of 8th edition to include more female characters in every other faction it can squeeze them into. Maybe it's not as represented in the models, but the characters are definitely there in the lore, books and games.
Oh yeah I forgot about Shadowsun I really like her as well. A good example of the guard, is Creed's daugther Ursula Creed who is the current leader of the surviving Cadian Shock Troops. Among the Eldar you have Jain Zar, the Phoenix Lord of the Howling Banshees which is all female Aspect Warrior group...

greenknight

QuoteIt's really just the space marines/chaos space marines/custodes that are strictly male only.

And not even there if you believe Rogue Trader.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

TotesRider

Quote from: Ollumhammersong on November 20, 2023, 05:53:39 AMAnyone else playing 'Realms of Ruin' The new age of sigmar rts?
I got it for cheap on cdkeys and it's pretty fun. I'm just not too familiar with alot of RTS' but I dig it.
I just wish there were some other factions. Like the Seraphon, Skaven, Soul Blight Gravelords and maybe the Gloomspite Gitz for funzies

Ollumhammersong

more factions will come if the game sells. Most warhammer games launch with 4 factions. it's kinda the standard that was set with Dow1

Norwegian One

Same with Total War: Warhammer 1 and 2, both launching with 4 races.
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

Norwegian One

Something a little different, but here is a big art dump :P Just found this artist who does 40k art in a style that I really enjoy, and they have drawn the Primarchs as women (HERESY!, I know). I've put each Primarch in spoilers so the post won't be five kilometres long.

All Primarchs + Chaos versions

Lion El'Johnson

Fulgrim

Perturabo

Jaghatai Khan

Leman Russ

Rogal Dorn

Konrad Curze

Sanguinus

Ferrus Manus

Angron

Roboute Guilliman

Mortarion

Magnus the Red

Lorgar

Vulkan

Corax

Unfortunately no Horus or Alpharius (yet). Artist is  流星R(Commissions CLOSED) (@cnmbwjx) / X (twitter.com)

Aaand I just realised I could have linked to the Twitter, instead of spending 30 minutes formatting this post. Oh well.
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

Andol

Yes the fem primarch series is one I have been keeping up with for a bit, and it inspired me to go into Night Lords in 30k and World Eaters in 40k, because Mommy Angron is a thing and so Mommy Kurze. The newest one is Purty, and hopefully they will eventually come out with Hours and Alpharius. 

Inkidu

Damn, Tomboy Girlyman is something I now need in my life...

Love seeing my favorite loyalist legions getting good rep.

(I am perhaps the only 40K fan who doesn't have a favorite chaos legion. I've never been a "villain" kind of guy.)

EDIT: Also anyone think Nurgle is way overrepresented in non-TTG 40K Media. It's like Nurgle is becoming default Chaos antagonist.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Andol

I mean to be fair a lot of the Chaos legion boys... at least their primarchs are not that bad and really got screwed over by the Emperor. I know he was protecting them from Chaos, but still. The biggest example was Angron for me, followed by Curze, and then Magnus. I think each of them if properly handled in a different way by the Emperor could have made for great loyalist... epespecially my boy Angron... what the Emperor did to him was just uncalled for. There are even hints the Nails could have been removed. As it is only Malcador who said they couldn't after they first found him, but the Emperor said there was a possibly they could be later on... 

Sorry for my World Eaters rant... kind of in the middle of bit of a painting session. 

Revelation

Angron is definitely #1 in 'Got screwed over by the Emperor' as far as primarchs go IMO. I think some primarch falls might have been inevitable, though. Though maybe Lorgar could also be considered jockeying for that position but I feel he had plenty of 'knock it offs' given to him by the Emperor before the Emperor got heavy handed.

Andol

Lorgar's problem is that the very knowlegde of chaos is corrupting. Out of all the Primarchs bar Magnus... he knew too much. I think the problem was that the Emperor didn't keep a closer eye on Lorgar given his upbringing. As he knew better than anyone how corrupting Chaos could be. There is also the problem of Eberus. If he had just been wiped from the Word Bearers... that would have helped. 

CopperLily

Quote from: Beorning on October 03, 2022, 04:20:28 PMQuestion: how much terrain do you need for a board? And what kind of terrain?

"More."

Terrain makes the game, IMO. Mostly, if you can just stand there and shoot the whole game, you don't have enough.

Beorning

Quote from: CopperLily on January 08, 2024, 01:05:49 PM"More."

Terrain makes the game, IMO. Mostly, if you can just stand there and shoot the whole game, you don't have enough.
Oooh, but what about big units like tanks? Shouldn't the board have enough space for them to maneuver?

CopperLily

Quote from: Beorning on January 08, 2024, 04:20:34 PMOooh, but what about big units like tanks? Shouldn't the board have enough space for them to maneuver?

With the new rules, IMO, tanks can handle a lot more terrain than they used to. It's probably a good idea to make sure they can move around, etc. but I think they too not only *should* be able to move around, but should have to.

Andol

Quote from: CopperLily on January 09, 2024, 03:28:03 AMWith the new rules, IMO, tanks can handle a lot more terrain than they used to. It's probably a good idea to make sure they can move around, etc. but I think they too not only *should* be able to move around, but should have to.

Yes with the new rules tanks can handle terrain better than they used to. It is a situation where you need to talk to the person you are playing with. Make sure that there is plenty of line of sight blocking terrain so one side is not getting shot off the board turn one, but don't make it so dense that the tanks can't move and are stuck on one side of the board. It is all about a balance. 

Trust me as a World Eaters player in the current shooting meta that leans more towards armor in many ways... it is kind of in my interest to make sure that there is plenty on the board. 

Inkidu

So, I learned that female adeptus custodes are now canon! As someone who definitely skews toward the non-chaos imperium (and tau because I definitely love mech suits) I see this as an absolutely okay thing to do. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

greenknight

Here's a discussion of why Space Women Marines wouldn't be thing, not because the process doesn't work but because it isn't used. Because the Imperium is the Imperium and the social commentary that entails. https://askrobouteguilliman40k.tumblr.com/post/702055429799395328/gender-and-warhammer-40000
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150