Warhhammer 40k?

Started by Baalborn87, September 30, 2012, 02:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baalborn87

Thinking of starting a 40k themed RP. chances are it will be 3rd person (x looked over at B/ X moved to the door etc). Will be mostly free form but I shall add important stuff (location/mission/enemies etc).

Looking for interest and ideas people want to play (bear in mind there is no such thing as a female space marine in 40k).

LordMing

Very interested, though it doesnt look promising at the moment.  I play Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader, well I used to before I had to move.  Let me know if you are still interested in trying
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

Pumpkin Seeds

Tharic

Possibly interested.. Tried it before here and seen it fall apart unfortunately, but it's always on my list.

LordMing

There is great potential, but I usually would say to steer away from the space marines and SoB as they are a bit too erm...uptight.  You can do amazing things using the stuff from Rogue Trader though.  The eponymous Rogue Trader, striving to make a proper name for himself and his erstwhile and entrepeneurial cadre of misfit ne'erdowells drawn from the dredges and heights of Imperial society.  Or you could have an arbitrator team, and have a Judge Dredd style campaign of attempting to bring The Law to a hive city.
Klytus, I'm bored. What play thing can you offer me today? ~Emperor Ming

Pumpkin Seeds

Yes the Arbites was the way I went with my game, though I also did a Deathwatch component.  I think the history and "nobility" of the Space Marines is a great thing to delve into with roleplay.  Though I am surprised that there are not more Rogue Trader games on Elliquiy.  The setting and style is pretty much perfect for the flavor of E.  Also surprised no Black Crusade.

Tharic

I would agree. A Rogue Trader or Inquisitor style (Visions of a group game ala Eisenhorn comes to mind) seems to have potential. The downside that I've run into before here on E is when the game tends to be a bit more wide open, even Rogue Trader style. So you've got someone who's basically an enhanced human perhaps with a large fortune, then you've got someone playing who's an exiled Eldar, former Sisters of Battle, etc, etc, etc.. It's just too wide of a gap to even be realistic, no matter how cool it may seem.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well, I think with Rogue Trader there definitely has to be some oversight.  There also has to be realistic consequences to certain classes that will actually, imo, hinder the party.  A player wants to be an Ork mercenary, well that blocks a lot of possibilities.  Sister of Battle in the group, then I hope you weren't wanting to be part of a radical force or use that super neat xeno tech the bad guy just dropped.  Rogue Trader would require a group that is willing to work together though because in general Rogue Trader gives itself well to Sandbox style.  A lot of communication needed between GM and players.  Probably where the players tell the GM their idea, the GM sets up the endeavors and starts giving them some kind of route to perform their action.

Pumpkin Seeds

Anyone get any ideas for this sorta thing?

Monfang

I'm always interested in 40K. Who's organizing this?

Pumpkin Seeds

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 19, 2013, 08:35:34 AM
That..is to be decided.
Well, I don't have the books on hand, so I don't know if I can organize this. But I find the lore really interesting.

Pumpkin Seeds

Currently I do have both a Dark Heresy and a Deathwatch game going.  The size of both is fairly considerable so I'm not real inclined to take on another project.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 19, 2013, 08:58:35 AM
Currently I do have both a Dark Heresy and a Deathwatch game going.  The size of both is fairly considerable so I'm not real inclined to take on another project.
Understandable. No sense on taking more than you can handle.

Pumpkin Seeds

So are people big on Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Only War, wha?

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 19, 2013, 06:46:15 PM
So are people big on Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Only War, wha?
I havne't played any of those.

HairyHeretic

My order of interest would probably run Black Crusade, Rogue Trader, Dark Heresy, Deathwatch and Only War.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Pumpkin Seeds

Black Crusade would probably be a great one for E.  Maybe I can even play a girl space marine!  :: runs before she gets stuff thrown at her::

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 20, 2013, 10:44:20 AM
Black Crusade would probably be a great one for E.  Maybe I can even play a girl space marine!  :: runs before she gets stuff thrown at her::
*STops throwing stuff after a while*

I don't know a lot about Warhammer 40K, but I know there are no female space marines. You can be a Sister of Battle.

Pumpkin Seeds

Psh, please.

Anyway, Black Crusade and Rogue Trader I do think are the most "E" style games.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 20, 2013, 11:38:14 AM
Psh, please.

Anyway, Black Crusade and Rogue Trader I do think are the most "E" style games.
What makes you say that?

Pumpkin Seeds

One they are more open to women which is a mark over Deathwatch.  Yes, there are Sisters of Battle but Sisters can't participate in the Cohesion rule system which is a cornerstone of Deathwatch play.  Granted playing a male Space Marine isn't really like playing a "guy" character but it does deter women from playing.  Only War is a possibilty but while having access to the book I haven't gotten a chance to read through the pages.  My brother decided to run an Only War game at his work so I don't get to see the book and I'm not spending 60 whatever dollars on it.

Dark Heresy is cool but seems pretty strict.  I love all the conspiracy theories and stuff but it does lack that bravado.  Rogue Trader has bravado in spades.  Rogue Trader also has a lot of kinky stuff possible in the mix such as slave trades, access to brothels, exotic alien races, etc.  There's also the swashbuckling lifestyle.  Black Crusade is pretty much all about the naughty naughty and baddies of the universe.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 20, 2013, 11:50:09 AM
One they are more open to women which is a mark over Deathwatch.  Yes, there are Sisters of Battle but Sisters can't participate in the Cohesion rule system which is a cornerstone of Deathwatch play.  Granted playing a male Space Marine isn't really like playing a "guy" character but it does deter women from playing.  Only War is a possibilty but while having access to the book I haven't gotten a chance to read through the pages.  My brother decided to run an Only War game at his work so I don't get to see the book and I'm not spending 60 whatever dollars on it.

Dark Heresy is cool but seems pretty strict.  I love all the conspiracy theories and stuff but it does lack that bravado.  Rogue Trader has bravado in spades.  Rogue Trader also has a lot of kinky stuff possible in the mix such as slave trades, access to brothels, exotic alien races, etc.  There's also the swashbuckling lifestyle.  Black Crusade is pretty much all about the naughty naughty and baddies of the universe.
I always thought that Rogue Trader would have the broadest selection of allies. Eldar, former space marines, Imperial Guard, Tau, ect.

Pumpkin Seeds

Rogue Trader does.  There are rules for Dark Eldar even and orks.  Plus through Rogue Trader you actually can branch off into almost every other game.

Monfang

Sounds like it'd be best then. You should open up a new thread for this.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well, there needs to be a willing Game Master and players attracted.  Better here where more people can see the interest of the community in such a game.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 20, 2013, 12:32:23 PM
Well, there needs to be a willing Game Master and players attracted.  Better here where more people can see the interest of the community in such a game.
Works for me.

HairyHeretic

40k system games have a habit of dying pretty quickly, unfortunately. I've tried running Dark Heresy, Black Crusade and I think Rogue Trader in the past. Played in Dark Heresy, Black Crusade and Deathwatch games as well. I'd really like an opportunity to play a Night Lord, since they included actual rules for them in the Khornate BC book.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Monfang

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 20, 2013, 07:44:45 PM
40k system games have a habit of dying pretty quickly, unfortunately. I've tried running Dark Heresy, Black Crusade and I think Rogue Trader in the past. Played in Dark Heresy, Black Crusade and Deathwatch games as well. I'd really like an opportunity to play a Night Lord, since they included actual rules for them in the Khornate BC book.
Wouldn't it be hard to make a Night Lord ally with others?

Pumpkin Seeds

In Black Crusade you basically roleplay as Chaos.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Monfang on February 20, 2013, 07:54:18 PM
Wouldn't it be hard to make a Night Lord ally with others?

In Black Crusade, although you are all playing Chaos, and will have the same general agenda, each player will likely have their own particular goals within that, some of which may be contradictory to what other players might want .. especially if you have players who are aligning towards opposed factions (Khorne/Slaanesh or Nurgle/Tzeentch).

For example, the players aim might be to corrupt a particular hive world. The Nurgle player would think plagues a wonderful way to do this, the survivors being led to Grandfather Nurgle. The Slaaneshi player would obviously rather corrupt the hive nobility, leading their decadent excesses into the worship of Slaanesh. Both ways could satisfy the overall goal, corrupt the world, but they're likely to be mutually exclusive.

That being said, the Slaaneshi player could concentrate on the nobles while the Nurgle one starts with the lowest ranking underhivers, and maybe they both get a bit of what they want.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

I think a lot of the mechanics of Black Crusade are geared toward infighting of the party aren't they?

HairyHeretic

Infighting is maybe a bit strong. Each of the PCs can have their own individual goals. How much they compliment or contrast each others will be down to the makeup of the group. No sense screwing the other guy over if it means the overall mission fails.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

owen84

Its chaos They fight dose not mean they don't love one another. I love the facts that people are so against the female space Marine idea lol. But hay with chaos Especially slaanesh Male/Female what's the difference right?
Why is it that only in death do we truly learn about life.

HairyHeretic

The difference is respect for the established game canon. Female Space Marines do not exist. Doesn't matter how much you want them, they're not there.

Slaaneshi marines may be mutated, but they were still created from males. That's how the geneseed and organs were designed.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Monfang

I'm perfectly fine with female Imperial Guard and Sister's of Battle. You don't need geneseed and connected power armor to be a badass.

Exhibit A

http://spacemarine.wikia.com/wiki/2nd_Lieutenant_Mira (Warning, spoilers)

When the entire command squad was killed during the early point of the battle, she took up sole command of all Imperial Guard protecting the factories. It is thanks to her that so many survived in time for the Space Marines to arrive.

Spoilers!
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
And at the end, when the Inquisition is about to take Captain Titus in on suspicion of Heresy, she is willing to stand against all of the Imperioum to protect him.

Exhibit B

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Saint_Celestine

She first appeared as a  Sister Repentia, a Sister of Battle who fell short of their Codes and now charges into battle armed with only simple clothing and a massive two-handed chainsword expected to die before her sins are forgiven. Which she did after slaying over one hundred foes. However, when her body was claimed, they found it still carried the spark of life and in her eyes shone with the light of one touched by the Emperor. When they cleaned her body, they found it without a scratch. The next day, she stood at the front-lines as a Sister of Battle and claimed the most kills in the entire campaign.

There are more, but her peek comes when after her supposed death at a Warmaster's dishonorable detonation of an atomic pile under his fortress. She still appears saving Sister and Space Marine alike in their darkest hours, coming in a flash of light and slaying their enemies before vanishing again, leaving only dead behind.

Pumpkin Seeds

Monfang, it's not an argument you are going to win.  The rational will always be that they are not there.  No matter how great a storyline is made to justify their existence, no matter how plausible a story or background is made to fit a female Space Marine chapter into existence people will say they do not exist.  Games Workshop crafted a storyline that has no true canon...except Space Marines can't be girls.  In my particular game I had to accept.  If ever someone runs a female Space Marine game, then they will automatically be running the risk of losing player interest and recruitment.  But that is the way of the fantasy universe.

To me its simply the reaction people have to the notion of female Space Marines.  There is a visceral feeling of nerd rage that comes across which seems...very much out of proportion to the subject matter.

owen84

Sorry think some misunderstand. I 100% agree there was no female primarch, the gen seed is male and all marines are and should be male. Just think its funny how some times people get worked up over it.
On that topic why is there no female imperial guard models? we know they serve in some forces so why not?
Lets start a movement 1 in 10 imperial guards should be women.

Monfang

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on March 09, 2013, 02:16:12 PM
Monfang, it's not an argument you are going to win.  The rational will always be that they are not there.  No matter how great a storyline is made to justify their existence, no matter how plausible a story or background is made to fit a female Space Marine chapter into existence people will say they do not exist.  Games Workshop crafted a storyline that has no true canon...except Space Marines can't be girls.  In my particular game I had to accept.  If ever someone runs a female Space Marine game, then they will automatically be running the risk of losing player interest and recruitment.  But that is the way of the fantasy universe.

To me its simply the reaction people have to the notion of female Space Marines.  There is a visceral feeling of nerd rage that comes across which seems...very much out of proportion to the subject matter.
No no, you misunderstand. I was saying it isn't needed because you can be just as awesome in the other fields.

owen84

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on March 09, 2013, 02:16:12 PM

Thats the one Nerd rage its funny.

Pumpkin Seeds

The problem from a roleplaying perspective is that a female character, say a Sister of Battle or assassin, cannot participate in the cohesion system which is integral to the game mechanics of Deathwatch.  What is supposed to be at the core of Deathwatch this both a mechanical and roleplaying story of coming together, unifying and overcoming the foes of humanity.  A Sisters of Battle focused game on the other hand could have male characters exhibit traits such as faith because Dark Heresy allows for men to gain faith through alternative classes or through purchase of the talent.  So yes a man cannot be a Sister of Battle, but can be real damn close.  A female cannot be a Space Marine and cannot make anything comparatively close or even able to mechanically play alongside Deathwatch character.

Monfang

I was always under the assumption that Sisters of Battle were pretty much Space Marines minus the gene seed and with more fire. But I can see where the problem arises.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: owen84 on March 09, 2013, 02:20:41 PM
On that topic why is there no female imperial guard models? we know they serve in some forces so why not?

There are. Or at least, there were.

Back in the RT era, when the Imperial Guard was the Imperial Army, there were a number of female models. There was also a female Commissar, though I think that was a limited edition figure.

I know of one group who moulded female heads and torsos to fit the standard Cadian plastics. Not sure if any of the current conversion bits moulders are doing female parts, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

owen84

I just think it is a bit of a shame that GW have not got any thing. Saying that my wife has a chaos slaanesh army. So if you want it that much you can find away around it.  She has the champions as female by using dark eldar parts.

HairyHeretic

It's easy enough to do. Dark eldar are probably the best source of female GW parts at present. There are a lot of people producing compatable conversion parts ... puppetswar, maxmini, kromlech, pig iron productions, anvil industry and probably lots more I can't remember the names of. In addition, with the increasing availability of 3d printing, there's no reason why more female parts couldn't be produced.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

CupidCatt

Is this still active? Any room for an Eldar Harlequin  ;D

Monfang

As we are minus one GM, I don't really think we can call this active. Mostly it has broken down into discussion while we see if one were to show up.

CupidCatt

Drat. We await the One who will unite us.

owen84

I would but never done a 40k rpg so would prefer  to play first. I like the idea of former guardsman.

Pumpkin Seeds

already running two...I have a couple spots potentially open but not for eldar.

CupidCatt

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on March 10, 2013, 06:16:26 PM
already running two...I have a couple spots potentially open but not for eldar.

How 'bout Chaos corrupted worshiper of Slaanesh? That's my second choice.

Pumpkin Seeds

One is a Deathwatch game so  your  character  would  be  short  lived.   second  is  dark  heresy... So  even  shorter?

CupidCatt

Worth a shot. I just really love the 40k setting, stories and scifi-medieval mindset.

HairyHeretic

I'd like to get a Black Crusade game going myself, but the ones I start never seem to last that long unfortunately. :/

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

I  would  be  willing  to  help.  I  have  the  main  book.

HairyHeretic

I wonder if trying to play it as a system game is part of the problem though. I wonder if it might do any better freeform.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Pumpkin Seeds

Honestly, the worst part of system is people trying to decide what to roll and what they cannot do with their character sheets.  I find it better to just roll things for them.  The best part of system though is the random nature and the structured advancement.  Feels great when you can buy those new abilities with xp and see them work. 

I am still toying with the idea of structured character creation and from there figuring out what can be done.

owen84

Like I said never played it so freeform is good for me.but I agree with cupidcatt just love the setting. So more interested in the role playing over the rules.

CupidCatt

Quote from: owen84 on March 11, 2013, 02:35:32 AM
Like I said never played it so freeform is good for me.but I agree with cupidcatt just love the setting. So more interested in the role playing over the rules.
+1

HairyHeretic

System games seriously slow down with combat though. I think personally that's their major issue in a forum enviroment. Most other skill tests and what have you are a single dice roll. Combat is a lot more following, and the back and forth nature, coupled with peoples timezones is what makes it cripplingly slow.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

I suppose we could try a short freeform game and see how it goes? Maybe use the Black Crusade intro adventure?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

CupidCatt

ears perk up... slender Eldar ears ;D

owen84

lol could be fun.

I am all for that.

I'm very easy to so what ever goes goes.

HairyHeretic

Given it would be a Chaos orientated game, eldar might be a bit out of place. Dark Eldar maybe, as I'm reasonably sure there aren't any Crone world eldar left. Not living ones at least.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

CupidCatt

If it's Chaos oriented, I'll be a devotee of Slaanesh. There's an Eldar connection there, so I'm good.  ;)

owen84

Same slannesh cult sounds good

CupidCatt

HairyHeretic

You think humans or Chaos Space Marines? I'd probably take my Night Lord, use him as an NPC.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

owen84

She looks S*%T hot.

I'am thinking more of some one with leather and chains. He will have half a gimp mask and cuffs around his wrists broken leather straps all over his chest and legs. Carry a whip that connect to one of his cuffs with barbs sticking out.... and a Autopistol.

HairyHeretic

So, human then. Maybe something like a cult leader demagogue or a psycher?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Red Offerings

I have an old backdrop for a WH40K thread I ran on a different role play website. It's a quick read:

The Astronomican has once again intercepted a message of the utmost priority. Abaddon the Despoiler, warmaster of the Chaos Space Marines Black Legion has uncovered the general whereabouts of an ancient chaos relic.

Dated back from the dark period of the Horus Heresy, this relic had been abandoned on a planet that bore no fruit of life. Located to the Galactic East, in a cluster of planets named the Chronus Rift, this icon of chaos had originally belonged to the primarch of the World Eaters Space Marine Legion, Primarch Angron, and is said to possess a vast amount of power that Abaddon covets. He dispatches of splinter fleet to go forth, towards the Eye of Terror, where this system of planets is located, to find this relic. What the Astronomican recieves is simply the location of the drop zone for these splinter troops, not the location of the relic itself. Planet GS00983

The Imperium must act quickly, it passes on the information to the Ordo Malleus, who in turn proceeds to dispatch a number of Inquisitors along with the Sisters of Battle. Taking absolutely no chances, a sect of the Space Marines, along with various elements of the Imperial Guard are also sent; there is no mistaking that this relic of chaos must be destroyed before it falls into Abaddon's hands.

As with any time a sect is dispatched, there will be splinters of those who will arrive earlier than others. Their mission will be to conduct reconnaissance and set up a secured area of operations in order to prepare for the main arrival of those dispatched from the Ordo Malleus.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Silverfang

If there will be a Warhammer40K Roleplay I would love to join it *_*

Probably as Space Marine from the Ultramarines :) ... looking approximatly like that...

Some little painting Work made by me

It's not my best painted miniature, the seal with the oath looks pretty bad   :-[  but well it wasn't made during the best time ;)

I hope it could fit in.. and of course I would prepare a char-sheet later ;)

RecklessRapscallion

I own All of the books, Rogue Trader as a setting is Amazing the issue is the Mechanics do not match up to the scope. I have read Only War, it is pretty awesome depending on your regiment you can have both genders. Typically the Munitorium keeps Regiments as one gender to ease complications but the expanded universe tells stories of mixed gender regiments as well. The mechanics are sound and if you want to tell a story similar to Saving Private Ryan, or a longterm game where you are shuffling from battlefield to battlefield than that is the game for you. I think what helps hold it together and promote an excellent environment is the Regiment Creation rules which if we are to run a game via forum will help with group cohesion.

As far as power level is concerned the Players begin slightly above Dark Heresy level except for the fact that everyone is well equipped, hell if you are a siege team you can start with a rocket launcher. My only suggestion is to have each player create multiple characters so if their character get's fragged they have a backup character that can jump right into the action.

If people have interest I would not mind running a campaign of only War.

~ RR
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash Williams
O/O's - Under Construction

HairyHeretic

I never bothered picking up the Only War book. Playing a Guardsman doesn't really interest me, as it seems your choice of stories are going to be narrowed down, at least in relation to some of the other systems. Plus with no one interested in playing any of the 40k games I already did have, I doubted I'd have any better luck with this one.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Landshark

Even though i havent been approved to the site as of yet im definetely interested in a 40K RP.  If your not going to use a system style then any setting will work well. Crusade can easily be done but a strong Lord character would need to be NPCed so as to keep the players from killing each other openly and to give some kind of direction. Rogue Trader (my personal fav) would also work best with an NPC captain but not necessary. Only war would need to be set up as a special ops style group so that a wierd mix of players makes sense. Dark Heresy would be easiest on the GM due to its low powered characters. Deathwatch would be the hardest IMHO. Ive run one in RL and everyone wants to play a different chapter or one they made up themselves. Also if you get over 10 players it wouldnt make sense.
Just my 2cents there. Hope to get approved soon and that this idea sees light.

RedPhoenix

Black Crusade is an awesome setting that I'd love to be a part of, but I do very badly with group games. :/
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

HairyHeretic

I'm looking for new heretics for my Black Crusade game at the moment, if you're interested :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

RedPhoenix

Appropriately that is very evilly tempting....

HairyHeretic

I am both evil and tempting, yes :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

RedPhoenix

Well I read through it all. Unfortunately I don't think I can ad anything to that group. Sorry. :(

HairyHeretic

Less than half the group are still active, hence my looking for new players.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

RedPhoenix

Quote from: HairyHeretic on August 03, 2013, 08:35:37 PM
Less than half the group are still active, hence my looking for new players.

Oh. Okay which ones are still active?

HairyHeretic

Sister of Battle and Heretek Dark Mechanicus. Not sure about the Noble and Guardswoman. The rest, no.

Cattle die, kinsmen die