Game of Thrones: Ascension - Freeform, Sandbox GoT Group - Open to All

Started by RobHumph, November 03, 2018, 10:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobHumph

Game of Thrones - Ascension
Chapter 2

"I can no longer obey; I have tasted command, and I cannot give it up."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Old Queen Daenerys is dead. For sixty-three years the realm prospered under her rule, but this time of peace is done, for she left no heir. In accordance with tradition, a Great Council, where all the Lords of Westeros would gather to decide the succession was called.

It failed.

Now Queen Rhaela Velaryon sits upon the throne of a fractured kingdom. The Vale have crowned their own Queen. The Riverlands are in open rebellion. The Stormlands, though House Baratheon has been crushed, are a hotbed of instability, as is the Reach that tears itself apart. In the North, the reign of the new Stark in Winterfell is young yet to be proven, and in the South in Dorne, a new Martell bloodline has claimed the principality for their own. In the windswept Islands of the Ironborn, the Greyjoys are gone and their new ruler is returning to the Old Ways. Only in the Westerlands is there stability under the new Lannister of Casterly Rock, but it cannot last forever.

Once the tenuous balance of power kept peace in the kingdoms. That balance is gone. Now there is only one thing that remains.

There is only war.

An Overview

Game of Thrones - Ascension is a freeform, fluid and sandbox style group game that takes place in George R. R. Martin's Westeros.

Games of Thrones: Ascension, has been with for over a year and a half now. In that time plots, schemes, diabolical plans, romance, death, destruction and all manner of things have taken place. We're still open, and in fact always looking for new players to join our band of merry men and women.

The game is set 63 years after Daenerys Targaryen's conquest of Westeros and the following War for the Dawn. As for our canon, the primary base is Show Canon, ending with the final episode of Season 6 as we began before Season 7 was out. That means everything that happened in the TV Show Game of Thrones, has happened here. Any blanks have mostly been filled in with stuff from the books or what we as writers came up with ourselves. Naturally, the 63 years are pretty much purely guesswork and homebrew stuff.

Following the death of Daenerys of old age, the Seven Kingdoms are left without a rightful heir to the throne.  According to custom, when there is doubt and questions revolving around the line of succession, a Great Council is called in order to decide upon the next ruler of the kingdom by vote.  However, with no Targaryen left to claim the throne, it sets up a unique and difficult moment in Westrosi history, where the Targaryen line is officially extinguished, and a new dynasty begins, elected by a Great Council.

New players joining are more than welcome to create a character from any of the noble houses yet taken. Or even be of the Smallfolk, though I shall heavily warn people wishing to do so that this game is mostly based around the aristocracy of Westeros, keep in mind that a simple blacksmith or sellsword may find it difficult to have much to do in this game. All Lord Paramounts (Stark, Lannister, Tully.) are taken with the exception of the Stormlands (where the Baratheons, now deposed, once ruled) with the same for the Wardens.

Targaryen's are off the menu as well, as if one existed then this entire game would be rendered somewhat moot as they would just be the heir to the throne and this entire game is based around the kerfuffle related to no one knowing who should get the throne. Blackfyre's are under a similar restriction though I will hear any ideas for them, just don't get your hopes up. Any other restrictions will be detailed in the character creation section.

We have our own little place in the Extreme Big Game section, this is to allow us all to have creative freedom in whatever depraved Westerosi habits we choose to indulge in, though warnings are expected regardless so you'll have a chance to see if it's something you want to read before doing so.

This is primarily freeform, with the players plots, schemes and other shenanigans can and will impact the plot heavily, in fact, most of the plot derives from those. So don't feel like you shouldn't do something because it might impact another character, this is Game of Thrones, it happens. Just make sure to chat it out with them beforehand so they know it's happening and they can give their two cents.

As for the setting, until recently we were exclusively centred around the capital of King's Landing, but with the Great Council failing and the calling of the Banners, the entire continent of Westeros is now opened up. War has come, and the men and women of Westeros will not sit idly by in a single location. While we are aware of the potential issues with this, we hope to overcome them and we're already making progress.

It should also be noted that the majority of the background information of the world is based upon the show up to the end of season six, which includes spoilers of what has happened during the show, as well as guesswork at how things might play out during the seasons beyond.  This is your official spoiler warning.

Major credit to Rel Mayer and Red Lobster for inspiring this and a tremendous shoutout to GnothiSeauton for running this absolutely wonderful game for much of its runtime and giving all a chance to get involved

Rules

Most of these are pretty simple and common stuff.  But, after a few incidents in past group games that I've run, I've had to make some of these clear and put out there for everyone.

• Real Life comes first.  Don't let anyone pressure you into thinking you have to post when life is going on.  Writing can always wait.
  • Don't feel pressured to write.  Writing should be fun and relaxing, not a chore.  There is no set pace here for the group, and is really intended to be relaxed and enjoyable, with a sandbox atmosphere.
  • Be respectful, courteous, and so on in the OOC.  Pretty self explanatory.  If you have a disagreement, or something negative to say, keep it to yourself, or in PMs.
  • Don't take IC Drama and remarks seriously.  It's just a game, with characters that are not representations of the writer.
  • If you can't get along with someone in the group, ignore them.  I'm not your babysitter or referee.  I don't think it's asking a lot for people to act like grown-ups and have a bit of maturity.
  • Be respectful of other writers IC.  No godmodding.  No forcing of sexual scenes without prior discussion.  Keep an eye on whether a scene is open or close.  Don't kill characters without discussing it with other writers.  Watch out for the content warning in the header.  Common sense stuff.
  • Don't be afraid to speak up if you have ideas or thoughts.  I welcome discussion and input, from anyone.
  • If you're going to leave, whether for good or a few weeks with real life stuff, let me know.  This is so that I have an idea of the number of characters and who is still in and whatnot.  Plus it makes things easier for everyone when there's a general knowledge of who is in and who is out.
  • Use the header for IC posts, and be mindful of the rating tag.  Header is there for to make things simple and organized.  Additionally, not everyone is into extreme stuff, and I ask that, should there be any extreme elements in your post, to mark it appropriately in the header.
  • Returning from the dead is purely on the GMs discretion  May seem a tad obvious. But it's worth mentioning that when characters die, it's a serious moment. Coming back from that is next to impossible and purely up to the GM.

The character creation guide can be found here:
Character Creation

And here is the code for the character sheets

Please PM your final character sheet submissions to me.

[center][size=15pt][font=georgia][b]Character Name[/b][/font][/size][/center]

[float=right][img height=300 padding=10]IMG URL Here.  Feel free to adjust height and padding to your preference.[/img][/float]

[b]Character:[/b]  Your character's name.  Titles are welcome.

[b]Alias:[/b]  Does your character have a nickname?  Something that they would be known as?  For example, Petyr Baelish is also known as Little Finger.  This is optional.

[b]Age:[/b]  Your character's age.

[b]Position:[/b]  What is your character's position in the story?  Commoner?  Peer of the Realm?  Member of the Small Council or Queensguard?

[b]Allegiance:[/b]  To what house, if you're lower nobility, does your house pledge allegiance to?  For example, House Mormont is sworn to House Stark.  If your character is of an order, such as the Faith of the Seven, the Citadel, or the Night's Watch, simply name that order.

[b]Appearance:[/b]  Just a brief description of your character's appearance.  How they carry and present themselves in public.  The type of clothes they usually wear in public and private.  Tattoos, piercings, birthmarks, etc.

[b]Face Claim:[/b]  The name of the person or link to the artwork of the character you're using for your character's image.

[b]Personality:[/b]  A brief overview of your character's personality.

[b]Motivations:[/b]  Your character's motivations in the story.  What are their drives and desires for themselves?

[b]History:[/b]  A brief overview of your character's personal history.  By no means does it have to be long or biographic.  Just a few sentences here and there that show some of your character's history.  One paragraph minimum.  Bullet Points will also be accepted (four bullet point minimum).

[b]Sexual Identity:[/b]  Your character's sexual identity.  Heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, etc. etc.

[b]Rumors and Gossip:[/b]  What are some of the rumors and gossip about your character?  Rumors and gossip are a part of every day court life.  This is completely optional if your character is a servant or commoner, but is required if your character is a member of court, a peer of the realm, member of the Small Council, or a Queensguard.  You're more than welcome to clarify the rumor or gossip with the truth.

[b]Strengths and Key Skills:[/b]  What are some strengths and key skills about your character?

[b]Flaws and Weaknesses:[/b]  Everyone has a few flaws or personal weaknesses.  List them here.  Only a few is fine.

[b]Character Likes and On's:[/b]  What does your character like in an out of the bedroom?  A link to your personal thread would suffice.

[b]Character Dislikes and Off's:[/b]  What does your character dislike in and out of the bedroom?  Again, a link to your personal thread would suffice.

[b]Connections:[/b]  Your character's connections and relationships to other characters.  This can be left blank, and can be edited over time.

[b]Special Notes:[/b]  This is the sort of catch-all for anything else that you want to make known about your character.  Anything that you think is important and the like.  You can also list what sort of connections and characters that you're looking for with your character here.

[b]Additional Pictures:[/b]  Optional.  A place where you can place additional pictures of your character.  Please spoiler any NSFW images.

Luciferia

If you meet god, tell him to leave me alone

Caela

Flower

Deamonbane

*puts out some coffee and assorted drinks for luring purposes as well*
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

RobHumph

Amelita

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Caela

EvieFrye

I'm really tempted. I have a few questions, can a character be from one of the main families, or be a bastard from one (Like a Snow or Flower), and can they be from any part of the world, like if they trained with the faceless?

Caela

Characters can be from main families but if someone is already playing that family you would want to coordinate closely with them even if you're writing a bastard, unless you want the bastard to not be known for some reason. I will say that an unknown bastard would be harder to get involved though just because we're pretty aristocracy focused.

The last question would probably require a pitch to Rob, our GM. Foreign characters (like small folk or unacknowledged bastards) would be more difficult to get involved for pretty much the same reason.

RobHumph

As Caela said, you can be from any noble family in Westeros (barring Targaryen, Blackfyre. Though if you want to be of a house already played by somebody else, I would suggest asking them first) or any place from Essos. But yes, being a member of the smallfolk or a simple wandering knight or sellsword will likely mean you have rather little to do in a game of grand politics. Same goes for Essosi characters though if they're highly ranked from their own cities, I can see it working easily.

As for being trained by the faceless men. It could work, though I would prefer to see the reasoning behind it before I give the go ahead.

But really glad you're interested!

Rel Mayer

Heya, interested in this! Don't want to put a definite foot down (due to muse being finicky), but trying to see if I can find a way to insert myself to a plot line or working with an already established character.

Is anyone looking for any pairings right now? Or a character for someone to play to flesh out your plot a bit more?

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Aiden

Quote from: Rel Mayer on November 04, 2018, 08:58:35 AM
Heya, interested in this! Don't want to put a definite foot down (due to muse being finicky), but trying to see if I can find a way to insert myself to a plot line or working with an already established character.

Is anyone looking for any pairings right now? Or a character for someone to play to flesh out your plot a bit more?

I have a criminal organization that needs more high rank holders that can step in and out as muse demands.

RobHumph

There's also a merc company and several lower ranked chars that haven't had much to do. Valyra Flowers and Reynik Snow spring instantly to mind there.

Flower

sweets

we have a great crew and everyoneone is nice. So do not be intimidated by the size of our game, come visit us!

Aiden

Bump, looking for Lords and Ladies!

Lots of plot stuff is coming up along with a time skip which will be good for new players to enter!

Flower

Perfect opportunity to join! We're moving onto the next stage of the game. Don't be intimidated! We're friendly folk (ooc). xD

CyrodilicBrandy

I'd love to join; just not sure who I would rather play. It's one of the reasons I've never joined a GoT RP before. I think the amount of wonderful world building George R. R. Martin has done intimidates me. Even though I've read the books, I still feel overwhelmed whenever I consider it.

RobHumph

I prefer Nord Mead myself :)

We'd be happy to have you. And don't feel you don't know enough. We're always more than happy to help out with lore bits and bobs you might need help with. I also did some general overviews of the various regions down the bottom of the world and story info, so if you need anything, I recommend that as the place to start.

CyrodilicBrandy

Cyrodilic Brandy is superior, excuse you. 

There's SO MUCH STUFF.

Caela

There is a lot of stuff, but it's really not as intimidating as it looks at first glance! Some of us (me) haven't read any of the books at all (I refuse until Martin finishes or dies lol...he takes too long between books!) but we manage just fine. Those that have done extensive reading are more than willing to answer questions and help those of us without the background to keep up and the rest of us are more than willing to help with general plottings and character development.

I will say, unless you have a specific hook and connections, you're best bet is to look at making a member of the aristocracy over a commoner. The game really focuses on the politics of the world so a lot of commoner characters have a hard time sliding in unless they were designed for a specific purpose and come with ready connections.

RobHumph

Yeah it's generally best and easier to create a member of one of the noble houses, and I'd strongly suggest you make the head of the house rather than a lower member, gives your char more to do.

And a slight thing. The game started off as mostly show based but has steadily incorporated a lot more book only stuff, has a little more to it than the tv show and all.

Again. Hope you do end up joining us! Can always use one more corpse for the pi-... I mean merry lad or lass to join our silly mission to bring smiles and laughs to the commonfolk of Westeros!