Chinese Mystical Martial Arts Mayhem!! Recruiting Closed

Started by Red Offerings, January 21, 2014, 04:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Offerings

This will be a role play with revolving plots. Once one plot has been fulfilled, another will be introduced. The same will be with smaller plots and events determined by percentile dice rolls.

Revolving Plotline I:

There are two kingdoms which rule over our version of ancient China. During an age before gunpowder and technology, when the wiliest warrior could manipulate chi and borrow power from the elements to assist him or her in defeating their foes. Monks could banish demons back to the nether realm and there still were demons that plodded the soil.

The Kingdom of Xiao rules over the lusher lands of the East. Theirs was a kingdom of insight, philosophy, and fortitude. Because of Xiao's richer lands, it provides roughly 83% of the food consumed by the entire nation. This includes fish and all agricultural production. Because of this, Xiao's people are largely well fed. They are a people who appear to have an easier life and therefore their focus is not so much on physical strength. They tend to wield powerful chi magic more than elemental. Xiao has been ruled by four powerful clans who have rotated its rule between one another through marriage or birth for the last three hundred years.

The Kingdom of Song rules over the cruel, beautiful lands of the West. The rugged terrain, dry, hot climate and vast distances between water have made the kingdom one of steadfastness, stamina, and brawn. Song is no poor wasteland though, its tenacious peoples cultivate iron, copper, gemstones and spices that the eastern kingdom covets. Song's people do not starve, they carve a life from slaying creatures of the desert lands or through trade with the East. Because of the physically demanding elements of life in the Song Kingdom, their focus is primarily physical strength. They tend to wield powerful elemental magi more than chi. Song's rulers have long been a string of militant generals with armies to back their leadership up.

These two kingdoms have had a civil, but uneasy alliance. Each kingdom provides one another with comforts that the other wants and needs. There have been several instances throughout the existence of these dual realms where war has broken out between them, though the end result has always been the resumption of the alliance. There has not been outright conflict between Xiao and Song in 95 years.

This is what happened as most within the Xiao Empire know.

The four ruling clans of the Xiao Empire were Xiao, Zhou, Wu, and Lo. Ten years ago, the Xiao Clan had been ruling for 87 years consistently. Their reign had just been sealed for another generation by the birth of a son to Emperor Xiao Liu. The Emperor already had a nine year old daughter, but Xiao had not allowed an Empress to rule for one hundred and fifty years. The Houses of Zhou and Lo had grown some ambitious men, mean who enjoyed power and wanted their chance to rule the kingdom. But now with the birth of Xiao Liu's son, this would likely not happen in their lifetime.

It had to have been Lord Lo Huang that was the lasting rumor because he was said to have been the most power thirsty. But no one could know for sure. Two weeks prior, the crown princess had been sent off to visit her mother's sister, Lady Chin Ziyi. One of the Lo general's was sent down with her along with a contingent of men for her protection. But back home, one night, the two houses stormed the palace with the full force of their armies and murdered the entire royal family, including the newborn crown prince who was cast down on the stone steps leading from the palace. Citizens only had a vague idea of what was happening because they heard the pained, shrill cries of the empress, as she plead for the life of her son. In the southern lands, the general and his contingent drowned the princess and the members of her house, including the great Lady Chin Ziyi.

War between the four houses lasted nearly three years, resulting in the virtual annihilation of the four great clans. Peace did not occur even then as the smaller clans eventually began to fight over which should take over rule of the lands. It wasn't merely the clans that were impacted by the fighting, many civilians lost their lives and there was a large exodus from the grand city. Over the last few years, the Xiao kingdom has slipped further and further into disarray and lawlessness.

It has been ten years since the great houses fell and only recently has the Song Kingdom heard the first rumors of what has trespassed. The Xiao kingdom is an open door to whatever ruler is powerful enough to step up to the throne.

Profile Skeleton to be submitted to moi via PM ONLY.

[color=colorofchoice][b]name:[/b][/color] (character name)
[color=colorofchoice][b]age:[/b][/color]
[color=colorofchoice][b]gender:[/b][/color]
[color=colorofchoice][b]kingdom:[/b][/color]
[color=colorofchoice][b]societal rank or occupation:[/b][/color] (Are you the Militant General or a Traveling Monk?)
[color=colorofchoice][b]weaponry:[/b][/color] (list all, notate if it is mystical, if so you will need to describe what it is supposed to do)
[color=colorofchoice][b]abilities:[/b][/color] (Describe these in depth, do you use Chi or Elemental power?)
[color=colorofchoice][b]special attacks:[/b][/color] (You will need to be detailed here. You may have up to three.)
[color=colorofchoice][b]fighting style:[/b][/color] (What style of wushu do you use, if any? Are you a Master, novice, veteran? Please note that masters should be no younger than 28)
[color=colorofchoice][b]mirror, mirror on the wall:[/b][/color] (physical description here, may use picture along with description but it must be linked, not embedded)
[color=colorofchoice][b]in my heart of hearts:[/b][/color] (personality description, 2 paragraphs minimum, 4 max)
[color=colorofchoice][b]my dark past:[/b][/color] (character history, 2 paragraphs minimum, 5 max)
[color=colorofchoice][b]plot line:[/b][/color] (Is your character directly participating in the main plot? Yes or No.)
[color=colorofchoice][b]theme song!:[/b][/color] (Heavy Metal or Rock, links only please)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

Pumpkin Seeds

Red Offerings

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle.

HairyHeretic

I do enjoy my wu xia, and I know one or two others who might as well.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Red Offerings

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 21, 2014, 06:16:56 PM
I do enjoy my wu xia, and I know one or two others who might as well.

Sweet! I was hoping I'd get some interest!

MzHyde

Ironwolf85

count me in, I've designed a couple settings if you'd like to pitch them.
I loved Man with the Iron Fists, Dinasty Warriors, and Kung Fu Hussle.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Batman4560

This has Jade Empire written all over it. Count me interested.

Isengrad

Haha, This looks great. A Perfect opportunity to use The Unbreakable Jianji. I think you had me Hooked the moment I saw the image form Kung Fu hustle.

original artwork by karabiner

Red Offerings

Quote from: MzHyde on January 21, 2014, 07:56:58 PM
I'm all about RotTk.

I think I may try to work something up that is very close to that.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on January 21, 2014, 08:09:38 PM
count me in, I've designed a couple settings if you'd like to pitch them.
I loved Man with the Iron Fists, Dinasty Warriors, and Kung Fu Hussle.

PM them to me! Maybe we can integrate them all together or something.

Quote from: Batman4560 on January 21, 2014, 09:53:13 PM

Sweet!

Quote from: Isengrad on January 22, 2014, 09:55:55 AM
Haha, This looks great. A Perfect opportunity to use The Unbreakable Jianji. I think you had me Hooked the moment I saw the image form Kung Fu hustle.

Yeah, one of my favs!

Red Offerings

Romance of the Three Kingdoms seems to be the favorable choice then? But do we want the same old stuff based off of the video game and literature or should we come up with something different within that setting? I am entertaining an idea at the moment that would allow for intrigue and conflict for the kingdoms. What do you think?

Red Offerings

Okay, I have added part of a possible plot line to the bottom of the original post. I am still working on a broad/larger plot, but I haven't decided just yet. The larger plot will be the general driving force above everything else, but it will often be eclipsed by smaller sub plots between groups. Let me know what you all think of what I have so far. Keep in mind this is just an idea.

Tsunami

To boldly go where no one wants too!!!!

Red Offerings

Florence

Oh fuck me. I'm behind in an rp or two but... ugh. This appeals to my interests.

... okay, lets see, if I can sort out what I'm backed up on and get my schedule straightened out, this game has my definite interest. :I

I just finished playing Choice of Kung-Fu on my phone xD

http://www.choiceofgames.com/category/our-games/

So... yeah. I've been dreaming up a character to play in this sort of rp xD

Quote from: Batman4560 on January 21, 2014, 09:53:13 PM

Fuck yes, Jade Empire <3
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 22, 2014, 07:42:37 PM
Oh fuck me. I'm behind in an rp or two but... ugh. This appeals to my interests.

... okay, lets see, if I can sort out what I'm backed up on and get my schedule straightened out, this game has my definite interest. :I

Fuck yes, Jade Empire <3

Haha, sounds good. You've got a couple days since I'm still eking things out anyways. We might get rolling by this weekend depending how long people take to create their characters after I finish.

Florence

I'm curious about the fantasy elements btw. When you say chi magic, are we talking like... Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or straight up throwing fireballs and stuff? :o

Also, I see the mention of demons, are player characters strictly human, or would it be possible to play non-human characters like demons and spirits. Not the ghost-type spirits mind you, but more like huli jing for instance.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

kckolbe

RoTK and Jade Empire are two loves of mine.  I can't say "I'm in" since I don't have a concept, but will be eagerly following.  I like the idea of factions as well.  My standard question: will this involve a system or will each side just roll a d20?

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 22, 2014, 07:42:37 PM

Fuck yes, Jade Empire <3

This made me laugh, Finn, and I know this feeling well.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Carlissa

I'm a little backed up on my RPs as well, but I'll throw my interest in as well. Although I have little idea what most of these franchises you guys keep talking about are...

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 22, 2014, 07:42:37 PMhttp://www.choiceofgames.com/category/our-games/

Hey, I remember this site. I used to go here when the only story available was the dragon one. Seemed they've added quite a few more stories since I last visited. Too bad you need to pay for the Kung fu one...
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Ironwolf85

I had the image of other creatures from Chinese/japanese myth too.
I'll try and compile a list of interesting creatures
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Florence

Quote from: Carlissa on January 22, 2014, 11:19:41 PM
I'm a little backed up on my RPs as well, but I'll throw my interest in as well. Although I have little idea what most of these franchises you guys keep talking about are...

Hey, I remember this site. I used to go here when the only story available was the dragon one. Seemed they've added quite a few more stories since I last visited. Too bad you need to pay for the Kung fu one...

Aye, but on the bright side, they're really cheap. They're about $3-4. I've bought Heroes Rise and Choice of Kung Fu so far xD

And it is clear they put a lot of effort into these, so its not like they don't deserve the money.

But I digress, this topic is about an awesome rp idea :3

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 22, 2014, 08:32:40 PM
I'm curious about the fantasy elements btw. When you say chi magic, are we talking like... Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, or straight up throwing fireballs and stuff? :o

Also, I see the mention of demons, are player characters strictly human, or would it be possible to play non-human characters like demons and spirits. Not the ghost-type spirits mind you, but more like huli jing for instance.

Chi is more like the use of life energy. Think of it for this instance kind of like the Force in Star Wars. Chi users can use their chi, depending on how powerful they are to make force attacks, shock waves, and other manipulations. Fireballs and the like would be considered more into elemental magic. The movie The Sorcerer and the White Snake is a great example of chi magic.

Depending how much interest this cultivates, I may allow people to play nonhuman characters, though initially I would want to focus on getting some members of these two kingdoms.

Isengrad

What about body manipulation, like brass body in man with the iron fists, is that still more elemental then chi based?

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Isengrad on January 23, 2014, 07:29:01 AM
What about body manipulation, like brass body in man with the iron fists, is that still more elemental then chi based?
Traditionally, Chin-Na/Atemi (Grasping Arts) is more of an internal style, using the oppoenent's chi instead of your own.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Isengrad on January 23, 2014, 07:29:01 AM

Quote from: Mnemaxa on January 23, 2014, 07:40:31 AM
Traditionally, Chin-Na/Atemi (Grasping Arts) is more of an internal style, using the oppoenent's chi instead of your own.

For the context that you're referring to in that movie, where he can literally harden his skin? I'm going to go with elemental.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Red Offerings on January 23, 2014, 09:23:20 AM

For the context that you're referring to in that movie, where he can literally harden his skin? I'm going to go with elemental.

That is to say if you are making his skin literally like metal. However if he is simply hardening his skin and not becoming metal-like then it is chi.

Vercile

Ironwolf85

I'm thinking of a court advisor to one side or the other.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Frozen Star on January 23, 2014, 09:29:59 AM
Is it too late to put my interest in?

No. At this point I will accept however many are interested.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on January 23, 2014, 10:23:59 AM
I'm thinking of a court advisor to one side or the other.

Hold that thought. I will have more too add to this story tonight.

Pumpkin Seeds

Florence

I have a few ideas in my mind...

Also, I'm curious, how authentic are we going in terms of gender roles?

How common or uncommon are women warriors, and how likely are they to get scoffed at by society?

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 23, 2014, 05:21:10 PM
I have a few ideas in my mind...

Also, I'm curious, how authentic are we going in terms of gender roles?

How common or uncommon are women warriors, and how likely are they to get scoffed at by society?

Good question. Somewhere in between. We're probably going to settle in a later period, before Confucious' thoughts really took root but where their influence is starting to spread bit by bit.

Florence

Sounds reasonable. I'm guessing from the setup that we're going more for a fictional China, rather than shooting for historical authenticity, so I don't suppose we have to worry about it being TOO authentic.

I'm perfectly fine working with a fictionalized China, or even a China-inspired setting, like Jade Empire or Avatar: The Last Airbender. (Although the latter was more an amalgam of several different Asian cultures, including China, Japan and India, as well as a little of what seems like Inuit culture in the Water Tribes.)

HairyHeretic

I think I'd like to bring out my Fangshi (wandering exorcist), for dealing with all those love lorn ghosts and hopping vampires.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 23, 2014, 06:47:18 PM
Sounds reasonable. I'm guessing from the setup that we're going more for a fictional China, rather than shooting for historical authenticity, so I don't suppose we have to worry about it being TOO authentic.

I'm perfectly fine working with a fictionalized China, or even a China-inspired setting, like Jade Empire or Avatar: The Last Airbender. (Although the latter was more an amalgam of several different Asian cultures, including China, Japan and India, as well as a little of what seems like Inuit culture in the Water Tribes.)

You're right, this is a much less historical China. I hesitated with placing us in boring constraints.

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 23, 2014, 06:57:33 PM
I think I'd like to bring out my Fangshi (wandering exorcist), for dealing with all those love lorn ghosts and hopping vampires.

Since we have so many people that would be fun.

Red Offerings

Okay, I have added the "large plot" for the story. It's in italics at the bottom of the first post. This should help people with developing their characters.

Important points:

Because of our number, not all characters have to follow the main plot. All will be impacted by it, but to varying degrees.

There is virtually no one left from the large clans of the Xiao Kingdom. That includes soldiers. I might accept one person,  but anyone else will need to play someone from a smaller clan or something like that. PM me for details for that.

Only powerful individuals will be able to rule Xiao. So, anyone who wants to have their character travel along the line of the main plot will want to create their character accordingly. But of course, don't go crazy!

I will be creating a character profile skeleton tomorrow evening. Be prepared to pick out your character's heavy metal/rock theme song! (Why? Why not.)

Red Offerings

I also want to say that this is the plot line I've come up with. If anyone wants to add something or take something out, that's cool. PM me. Additionally, this is just the "main backdrop" there are opportunities for smaller plots, so if you are inspired by something and want to try it out, let me know!

Florence

I was thinking of perhaps playing a martial arts master, a woman who lives in a more rural area, and is heavily respected by the locals for both her mastery of the martial arts, as well as her strong conviction to justice, and the fact that she teaches some of the local villagers the art of the spear in order to defend themselves from bandits. I see her getting roped into larger matters more through necessity than anything else. Perhaps she's sought out by someone higher up, or perhaps the current affairs threaten the villages she's taken to watching over.

As for her style of fighting, as mentioned above, I think she'd primarily fight with a qiang (spear), and probably have an unarmed fighting style similar to bajiquan. I believe bajiquan has its roots in spear fighting, so it would make sense for her to have that combination of fighting styles.

Batman4560

Pumpkin Seeds

Sort of leaning toward a traveling bard/flute player, perhaps using the flute as a weapon as well.  I do like the play on words that she would be from the Kingdom of Song, plus with their culture she would be quite the survivalist anyway.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 23, 2014, 08:37:54 PM
I was thinking of perhaps playing a martial arts master, a woman who lives in a more rural area, and is heavily respected by the locals for both her mastery of the martial arts, as well as her strong conviction to justice, and the fact that she teaches some of the local villagers the art of the spear in order to defend themselves from bandits. I see her getting roped into larger matters more through necessity than anything else. Perhaps she's sought out by someone higher up, or perhaps the current affairs threaten the villages she's taken to watching over.

As for her style of fighting, as mentioned above, I think she'd primarily fight with a qiang (spear), and probably have an unarmed fighting style similar to bajiquan. I believe bajiquan has its roots in spear fighting, so it would make sense for her to have that combination of fighting styles.

That would work just fine. So probably from the kingdom of Xiao?

Quote from: Batman4560 on January 23, 2014, 08:57:42 PM
Is it possible to be from the kingdom of Song?

Yep. Just follow along the line of their trait description in the original post.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 24, 2014, 05:49:59 AM
Sort of leaning toward a traveling bard/flute player, perhaps using the flute as a weapon as well.  I do like the play on words that she would be from the Kingdom of Song, plus with their culture she would be quite the survivalist anyway.

That sounds good!

Florence

kckolbe

I was thinking Xiao as well.  Since we can't be from the major tribes, do we just make up a tribe?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 24, 2014, 08:15:44 AM
I was thinking Xiao as well.  Since we can't be from the major tribes, do we just make up a tribe?

I may allow one or two people to play someone from one of the four clans. Otherwise, yes you can just make up a minor clan, remembering that a lot of them are having a hard time because of all of the fighting.

Red Offerings

Glad we are getting some Xiao players too. :) My character will be Xiao as well.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Carlissa on January 22, 2014, 11:19:41 PM

I realize I missed your post completely. I'll be posting a character profile skeleton for you guys tonight. You've got some time to decide.

Red Offerings

Okay, so I've entertained the whole free form or dice battling thing. Being that I'm nt a big fan of dice, but also noting the likely complexity of the characters abilities, I am going to create a cheat sheet for the dice system we will be using for fighting. I will also be using percentile dice to roll for random events, weather, etc. just wanted to give you all a heads up.

Random events can be small plots for certain groups or players to something crazy random like....a ley line storm.

Pumpkin Seeds

Might want to check out Fate for this style of Kung Fu.  The whole aspect thing would lend itself well to this style of fighting I think.

Florence

I'm definitely more of a fan of freeform, but I guess its not a deal breaker or anything. I just don't like to think the outcome of our character actions are left up to random chance, regardless of the thought that goes into them.

Carlissa

Freeform or dice role is good with me. I'm not a fan of using a system since I'm too stupid to understand most of them. D:
"Damn kids doing work. Back in my day we worked 18 hours a day and still had time for 12 hours of fun before a solid 8 hours of sleep in 24 hours".

Florence

See, I prefer systems over simple dice rolls because they tend to be a little more inclusive of variables. Typically, I either like to have the outcome dictated by the narrative, or by a detailed system. A simple dice roll just leaves too much up to pure chance for me.

HairyHeretic

I can do freeform, rules lite or proper system game.

I've run a Mythic China game here a while ago, using the Qin RPG, which I think captures the wu xia flavour very well.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Red Offerings

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 24, 2014, 12:11:49 PM
Might want to check out Fate for this style of Kung Fu.  The whole aspect thing would lend itself well to this style of fighting I think.
Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 24, 2014, 12:27:47 PM
I'm definitely more of a fan of freeform, but I guess its not a deal breaker or anything. I just don't like to think the outcome of our character actions are left up to random chance, regardless of the thought that goes into them.
Quote from: Carlissa on January 24, 2014, 01:01:40 PM
Freeform or dice role is good with me. I'm not a fan of using a system since I'm too stupid to understand most of them. D:
Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 24, 2014, 01:13:38 PM
See, I prefer systems over simple dice rolls because they tend to be a little more inclusive of variables. Typically, I either like to have the outcome dictated by the narrative, or by a detailed system. A simple dice roll just leaves too much up to pure chance for me.
Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 24, 2014, 01:44:16 PM
I can do freeform, rules lite or proper system game.

I've run a Mythic China game here a while ago, using the Qin RPG, which I think captures the wu xia flavour very well.

My only concern is with the special abilities, that things might become a little too complicated. For instance, what about someone who can harden their skin? What's to determine what damages him and what doesn't, or if someone can legitimately dodge an attack or not. I much more prefer freedom myself, so if everyone is saying they really feel like they could do that, then we can give it a swing. Because you're right, with dice, sometimes your special abilities might not work. Or they might work differently on one move than another.

So then, do we want to try this bad boy in free form?

Red Offerings

I don't want to get into systems. Personally, I avoid role plays that have them. So if we DO want dice, I think I can create something clean and to the point enough to not gross people out with in depth details.

Red Offerings

I have added the profile skeleton. Please submit the profiles via PM only.

Florence

Between those choices, my preference is with freeform for the reasons I've stated above.

Also... does the theme song have to be rock? I love rock as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure it fits my character xD

Pumpkin Seeds

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 24, 2014, 08:08:03 PM
Between those choices, my preference is with freeform for the reasons I've stated above.

Also... does the theme song have to be rock? I love rock as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure it fits my character xD

Rock or Metal! It's absolutely necessary! And that's the idea, it's not supposed to fit exactly. Okay and I admit it, it's entirely for my amusement.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 24, 2014, 08:08:28 PM
I'm up for freeform as well.

Alright then, we will give freeform a whirl. Maybe I'll just do a simple rule system then.

Florence

I think my character might be a remnant of one of the old clans. I wasn't originally planning that, but as I started fleshing out her backstory in my head, it just sort of fits.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 24, 2014, 09:44:49 PM
I think my character might be a remnant of one of the old clans. I wasn't originally planning that, but as I started fleshing out her backstory in my head, it just sort of fits.

All right, that will be fine.

Red Offerings

Alright, I've made a profile page and posted my character's profile. You all can take a look if you want. Once I give your profile the thumbs up, you can post it on that thread and then you'll be able to edit whenever you feel the need. I will be making an OOC thread too today which will contain those "rules" and also any other tidbits I deem necessary.

Profiles

Red Offerings

Now the OOC thread is open. But still under construction. OOC here.

Florence

Balls, I had some of my app written up, forgot to save and when I woke up my monitor wouldn't wake up so I had to reboot ._.;

Oh well, I remember most of what I had written down.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 25, 2014, 08:56:51 PM
Balls, I had some of my app written up, forgot to save and when I woke up my monitor wouldn't wake up so I had to reboot ._.;

Oh well, I remember most of what I had written down.

Oh man, that sucks. Don't worry, you've got time. Only one other person has submitted a profile anyways.

Pumpkin Seeds

Red Offerings

Isengrad

Trying to find a style that represents my character concept well. I know the two internal arts i want, Iron Shirt and Iron fist.. really just conditioning the body to take impact.  trying to decide on a Chinese martial art that fits with that.. Might end up going free form.

Nevermind, Found a style !!

Red Offerings

Quote from: Isengrad on January 25, 2014, 10:28:25 PM
Trying to find a style that represents my character concept well. I know the two internal arts i want, Iron Shirt and Iron fist.. really just conditioning the body to take impact.  trying to decide on a Chinese martial art that fits with that.. Might end up going free form.

Nevermind, Found a style !!

You could always just make a family style. Lots of clans and families would make their own practice of wushu. It would usually be called (Insert Family name) Gar.

Florence

Quote from: Red Offerings on January 26, 2014, 08:12:02 AM
You could always just make a family style. Lots of clans and families would make their own practice of wushu. It would usually be called (Insert Family name) Gar.

My character practices a style I made up, mostly based on bajiquan, called the Exploding Fist style :3

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 08:38:52 AM
My character practices a style I made up, mostly based on bajiquan, called the Exploding Fist style :3

That can work too!

kckolbe

My concept is that of a administrator from a small clan, only a novice at fighting and chi, but quite respectable as a warlord.  Having trouble writing up a full sheet, though, with nothing else to really work from.

Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 08:41:19 AM
My concept is that of a administrator from a small clan, only a novice at fighting and chi, but quite respectable as a warlord.  Having trouble writing up a full sheet, though, with nothing else to really work from.

Is he a warlord by accident?

kckolbe

Sorry, meant warlord in the RoTK sense, high intellect and political ability. 

Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 08:51:01 AM
Sorry, meant warlord in the RoTK sense, high intellect and political ability.

Ooh okay. That'll work then.

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 08:41:19 AM

Do you need help then? Resources?

Florence

By the way, do you have anything set in stone concerning the Wu clan? I just want to be sure my character sheet doesn't conflict with anything you already have decided for them.

kckolbe

You touched on it a little bit about not knowing much about the main clans, which would be important since my character's choices would be based on them. 

Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 09:00:18 AM
By the way, do you have anything set in stone concerning the Wu clan? I just want to be sure my character sheet doesn't conflict with anything you already have decided for them.

No, the only clans that I have anything specific for would be Zhou and Lo. Wu was not present when the plot went down, so they kind of got dragged in by surprise, which sucked for them because when they got to the palace, they didn't know what had happened and the Xiao palace guards assumed since Zhou and Lo were involved, that by then Wu was too. Then Zhou and Lo hit them just because they weren't going to risk assuming Wu would take their side or try to avenge Xiao. All Wu saw when they arrived was the murdered infant heir on the steps leading to the inner palace.

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 09:05:31 AM
You touched on it a little bit about not knowing much about the main clans, which would be important since my character's choices would be based on them.

Are you Xiao or Song?

kckolbe

Xiao.  I was considering playing a big fish in a little pond by not being from any of the major families there.

Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 09:12:00 AM
Xiao.  I was considering playing a big fish in a little pond by not being from any of the major families there.

That's fine. With that then, you can kind of just make your own clan if you'd like. The little clans have only been fighting purely because they're all trying to posture for the throne. So they've all been fighting amongst each other.

Florence

Aaaaaalmost done, just working out the physical appearance.

Red Offerings

Red Offerings

Question: For the role playing threads, should I make a Song thread and a Xiao thread respectively?

Florence

Well I was under the impression that the story would focus primarily on Xiao. I think its important that we have some focus like that, to make sure the characters are interacting the story is moving along, rather than everyone just waiting about to run into each other.

Either way, I wouldn't think of splitting anything until there are more approved character sheets, as you don't want to risk splitting a small group into even smaller halves.

Pumpkin Seeds

Yeah, that's one reason I went with traveling musician figuring she would have an interest in pursuing such a group as they adventured and discovered new stories for her to tell and songs to play.

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 10:58:49 AM
Well I was under the impression that the story would focus primarily on Xiao. I think its important that we have some focus like that, to make sure the characters are interacting the story is moving along, rather than everyone just waiting about to run into each other.

Either way, I wouldn't think of splitting anything until there are more approved character sheets, as you don't want to risk splitting a small group into even smaller halves.

The large story is the primary focus, but people don't have to follow it, just all will be impacted by it in some form or another. You're right though, I'll have to wait to do anything for more profiles.

kckolbe

I have to admit that I am very concerned.  I was fairly confident that I didn't know what to expect, but I fear none of us really do.

Intro Thread

HairyHeretic

Giving the characters a reason to act together will be help to get things going, I would say. Otherwise you run the risk of the players going off in a dozen different directions, with or without plots of their own.

Giving links to other characters helps as well, as it gives them a reason to act together.

If anyone wants to link my PC into their own background, assuming my character draft gets approved, he's a wandering Fangshi (exorcist), dealing with restless spirits, supernatural threats and wandering monsters. He could have been hired by an authority figure to deal with a particular threat, or met other wandering characters on the road.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on January 26, 2014, 11:12:19 AM
I have to admit that I am very concerned.  I was fairly confident that I didn't know what to expect, but I fear none of us really do.

What do you mean? You're not really supposed to know exactly what is going to happen. I'll also be waiting until everyone who has wanted to submits a profile before I decide exactly how to kick things off. I have a good idea already, but I'm going to wait for you and a couple of others before I decide.

Red Offerings

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 26, 2014, 11:21:32 AM
Giving the characters a reason to act together will be help to get things going, I would say. Otherwise you run the risk of the players going off in a dozen different directions, with or without plots of their own.

Giving links to other characters helps as well, as it gives them a reason to act together.

If anyone wants to link my PC into their own background, assuming my character draft gets approved, he's a wandering Fangshi (exorcist), dealing with restless spirits, supernatural threats and wandering monsters. He could have been hired by an authority figure to deal with a particular threat, or met other wandering characters on the road.

I can already see a couple of the characters will be linked in one way or another without their knowing. I can't go into more though because that will ruin a surprise I have.  ^-^

Florence

Well, just make sure we have enough to go off of. I like surprises as much as the next guy, but just make sure that it's going to help the rp instead of hindering it. I know from experience how easy it is to get over-ambitious with stuff like that xD

ALSO. https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=195295.msg9507938#msg9507938

Yanyi is up if anyone wants to link their history with her in some way :O

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 11:34:48 AM
Well, just make sure we have enough to go off of. I like surprises as much as the next guy, but just make sure that it's going to help the rp instead of hindering it. I know from experience how easy it is to get over-ambitious with stuff like that xD

ALSO. https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=195295.msg9507938#msg9507938

Yanyi is up if anyone wants to link their history with her in some way :O

It's not something that'll impact anything for the time being.

Red Offerings

Actually for the starting point, I'll be able to help funnel everyone into one spot. I'm waiting to see how many more Song's we get, but you'll all be starting off in my character's village. The wars between the smaller clans have filtered down and out towards Song that far. If you take a second to read the last couple paragraphs of her history (but I'll be repainting it in the introduction post anyways) their village has been hugely impacted by the fighting over the last few years. It's in Xiao but only 100 miles from the Song border. So I think it will be the perfect place to begin.

You will be able to decide why your character is there. If you're from Song, that's easy, it's the closest civilization to the border.

Florence

Quote from: Red Offerings on January 26, 2014, 11:43:25 AM
Actually for the starting point, I'll be able to help funnel everyone into one spot. I'm waiting to see how many more Song's we get, but you'll all be starting off in my character's village. The wars between the smaller clans have filtered down and out towards Song that far. If you take a second to read the last couple paragraphs of her history (but I'll be repainting it in the introduction post anyways) their village has been hugely impacted by the fighting over the last few years. It's in Xiao but only 100 miles from the Song border. So I think it will be the perfect place to begin.

That works for me, it could very easily be the same area that Yanyi settled down in. If you'd like to work out some history between the characters I'm open for it :D

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 11:48:58 AM
That works for me, it could very easily be the same area that Yanyi settled down in. If you'd like to work out some history between the characters I'm open for it :D

I will PM you.

HairyHeretic

I wander where the winds blow me. I can be anywhere as easily as anywhere else :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Red Offerings

Florence

Well, I gotta say, this is shaping up to be pretty fun looking :>

Red Offerings

Yeah! I think this is going to be pretty interesting.

HairyHeretic

What else do we have in terms of character concepts so far?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Red Offerings

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 26, 2014, 02:03:37 PM
What else do we have in terms of character concepts so far?

Everyone who had submitted a character profile has been approved, they're all on the profile thread. Five total. Isengrad is playing a former palace guard.

Florence

We need more ladies. :U

I mean. Not that I'm confirming those rumors about Yanyi or anything.

Just sayin. Ya know. Ladies.

xD

Red Offerings

Florence

If it makes it any better, I'm fully capable of gay male fantasies too  O:)

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 02:21:34 PM
If it makes it any better, I'm fully capable of gay male fantasies too  O:)

-_- Lol. Wonderful.

Red Offerings

I am expecting one or two more female characters though.

Florence

Well, I'm sure this will be a fun bunch regardless, but a little more variety is always nice! :D

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 26, 2014, 02:30:25 PM
Well, I'm sure this will be a fun bunch regardless, but a little more variety is always nice! :D

True!

Florence

Any idea when this is going to start up? Not that I'm rushing or anything, I'm just curious if its a matter of plotting things out and such, or if we're waiting to see if more people submit character sheets or what. Also, are multiple characters allowed? I had a few other ideas for characters, though I'm not sure I want to play multiple characters, I figured I may as well see if its even allowed.

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the OOC, but since it involves recruitment, and potentially things an interested person may wish to know, I figured here works.

kckolbe

I have a concept, and am fleshing him out, but just not ready yet.

Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 28, 2014, 10:05:21 AM
Any idea when this is going to start up? Not that I'm rushing or anything, I'm just curious if its a matter of plotting things out and such, or if we're waiting to see if more people submit character sheets or what. Also, are multiple characters allowed? I had a few other ideas for characters, though I'm not sure I want to play multiple characters, I figured I may as well see if its even allowed.

Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the OOC, but since it involves recruitment, and potentially things an interested person may wish to know, I figured here works.

You can post wherever for now. I was looking to start up this weekend. I know Pumpkin Seeds is halfway done with her profile, kc is rolling with his, and I have another person who is nearly done with theirs as well. Just wanted to give everyone a chance to submit profiles because I will not be allowing anyone else in once this starts, through the duration of the main story.

Red Offerings

Potentially, we could start sooner if everyone gets their profiles in before then.

Florence

Will you be accepting new players if anyone drops out?

Hopefully no one will, but its always good to consider how to handle it before we start. :o

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 28, 2014, 11:38:03 AM
Will you be accepting new players if anyone drops out?

Hopefully no one will, but its always good to consider how to handle it before we start. :o

Not if just one goes. But if others do, maybe. Recruitment will open again when the next story is ready to go up.

Florence

Alright, I'm following ya. Hopefully we'll get a nice diverse group to start with, and people will stick around :>

Red Offerings

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on January 28, 2014, 12:02:31 PM
Alright, I'm following ya. Hopefully we'll get a nice diverse group to start with, and people will stick around :>
oh we're definitely going to have some diversity. Virtually no Songs though!

Pumpkin Seeds

Red Offerings

Thufir Hawat

Technically, I'm neither... ;D
My guy was modelled after a Chinese minority known for their martial skill. Well, at least he's ready, so I wouldn't slow the game down >:).
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Red Offerings

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on January 28, 2014, 06:52:38 PM
Technically, I'm neither... ;D
My guy was modelled after a Chinese minority known for their martial skill. Well, at least he's ready, so I wouldn't slow the game down >:).

Lol.

Thufir Hawat

Well, someone mentioned a diverse group. A minority that's neither Song nor Xiao makes for even more diversity... ;D
Since I'm not following the plot with the rest of the characters, I'm using "group" in the OOC sense here, of course :P.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Red Offerings

Red Offerings

Still accepting players - just through tomorrow and then recruitment for this story will be closed!

Florence

All aboard for badass kung fu action! You know you want to!

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Red Offerings

Quote from: kckolbe on February 01, 2014, 10:41:51 PM
I guess the female chars never got back to you?

Carlissa's profile is pending, so is yours. Pumpkin Seeds had to bow out.