The Election Thread

Started by Stattick, September 26, 2012, 01:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Brady

Man, American Politics are VICIOUS!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 06, 2012, 11:40:37 PM

Actually it's fairly civil compared to some I've seen.

elone

Is that a picture of Trump's golf course/resort in Scotland where he totally trampled on people's land rights and destroyed the natural ecology of the area. Yeah, he's a gem.

Congrats Obama, waiting for his speech and Romney's concession. May be a long wait for Romney's speech.

Just heard Virginia got called for Obama, there is hope for my state yet. Also, Kaine beat Allen, a major Senate triumph.

Maryland just approved same sex marriage and Colorado legalized pot. Yea to all.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Stattick

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 06, 2012, 11:40:37 PM

Nah... We don't have congressmen beating the shit out of each other on the Congressional floor with canes, or presidential candidates dueling to the death... not anymore, that is.
O/O   A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Stattick on November 06, 2012, 11:43:19 PM
Nah... We don't have congressmen beating the shit out of each other on the Congressional floor, or presidential candidates dueling to the death... not anymore, that is.

Why.. the last time that happened was.. what.. before the civil war?

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 06, 2012, 11:41:38 PM
Actually it's fairly civil compared to some I've seen.

Absolutely. We are still constrained by libel and slander laws that are nonexistent in other countries.

And this campaign was a cupcake party compared to say, the election of 1800.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Chris Brady

Quote from: Stattick on November 06, 2012, 11:43:19 PM
Nah... We don't have congressmen beating the shit out of each other on the Congressional floor with canes, or presidential candidates dueling to the death... not anymore, that is.
:o
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

gaggedLouise

Just got hold of Romney's top secret script for the concession speech. It runs as follows:

"I'm not giving in. I've got the solutions, I demand /louder/ a recount! And /still louder, clenches fist and looks south/ U R FIRED!!"

::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Marikir

Listening to Rove is...a little odd.  I don't agree with what he says that Obama did and does as president, but I have to admit that, frankly, he's probably spot on regarding that the Latino community probably should be in the Republican camp. 

I think if the Republican mainstream party tries to embrace them though, they would have a revolt from their far-right constituents. 

Catch-22...

I wonder what the story regarding Super-PACs will be now.  There was a LOT of money spent to keep Obama from a second term...and it seems to have not worked.  Very interesting.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Marikir on November 06, 2012, 11:49:21 PM
I wonder what the story regarding Super-PACs will be now.  There was a LOT of money spent to keep Obama from a second term...and it seems to have not worked.  Very interesting.

Hopefully, from now on, Super PACs will be considered a failed experiment in the neverending quest for Republicans to bypass the one great flaw in the voting process...

What do you mean everyone gets to vote?!

...and quickly discarded.

elone

Romney is speaking, congratulating Obama and hoping he is successful guiding our nation. The first bit of class he has shown.

Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Callie Del Noire

Listening to Rove is...a little odd.  I don't agree with what he says that Obama did and does as president, but I have to admit that, frankly, he's probably spot on regarding that the Latino community probably should be in the Republican camp. 

I think if the Republican mainstream party tries to embrace them though, they would have a revolt from their far-right constituents. 

Catch-22...

Ironically that could pay off in the end.. the Latino community is the biggest growing minority out there BUT the GOP CONSISTENTLY craps on them. My niece and her mother's family literally faces having to prove citizenship when they walk down the street. You expect folks to forget crap like that?

Torch

He's exactly spot on. This will be a wake up call for the RNC. They can no longer be the party of rich pale males. It's a hard lesson learned, but they've got to deal with it.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Skynet

The GOP will have to adapt in the next 10 or 20 years or perish.  They can't tolerate the racist, sexist, and homophobic elements of their party (who predominate now) if they hope to stay within the mainstream.

Who knows, maybe a 3rd Party will rise to ascendancy.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: elone on November 06, 2012, 11:56:27 PM
Romney is speaking, congratulating Obama and hoping he is successful guiding our nation. The first bit of class he has shown.

He's also calling for politicians to put aside partisanship and make the people the priority of their job, and for bipartisan efforts to reach out to the other party.

...and yet, I get this nagging feeling that unless the Dems take the House and keep the Senate, it's going to be more years of the past 2 years.

Skynet

The Republican-dominated House will keep blocking all of Obama's policies like old times.

But I'm happy that Obama won.  A Romney victory would have sent my country down a dark road of right-wing extremism.  Or he would've become moderate like an Etch-A-Sketch, and his own party will turn on him as a "traitor" and get all his policies blocked.

elone

Unfortunately, we may be in for more gridlock, people's will be damned. Politicians are about getting reelected, and not doing what is best for the nation. We will see what happens when we hit the fiscal cliff.

Poetry
O/O's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on November 07, 2012, 12:01:09 AM
He's also calling for politicians to put aside partisanship and make the people the priority of their job, and for bipartisan efforts to reach out to the other party.

...and yet, I get this nagging feeling that unless the Dems take the House and keep the Senate, it's going to be more years of the past 2 years.

won't happen.. too many of the tea part will be returning to their seats in the house and no one in the command chain has been replaced. It's going to be 4 more years of obstructionism to make the NEXT Democrat look as useless as possible.

ReijiTabibito

Yeah, I figured...speeches these days get treated as words, not actual ideas and suggestions for people to do.

Lincoln was right.  If we're going to be destroyed, it's going to be at our own hands, imploding in the final moments of the nation.

Marikir

Now I'm interested to see the results for the equality initiatives, the pot ones, and also the races that concern Allen West and Michelle Bachmann.

One can hope...

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Marikir on November 07, 2012, 12:19:54 AM
Now I'm interested to see the results for the equality initiatives, the pot ones, and also the races that concern Allen West and Michelle Bachmann.

One can hope...

Colorado and Washington passed their marijuana laws, it did not pass in Oregon.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Marikir

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on November 07, 2012, 12:24:33 AM
Colorado and Washington passed their marijuana laws, it did not pass in Oregon.

And it appears that a couple of the marriage equality initiatives have reversed the trend of always losing and have actually passed popular votes. 

Hmm...what is this feeling?  Could it be that thing I've heard of before... Optimism?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Marikir on November 07, 2012, 12:34:25 AM
And it appears that a couple of the marriage equality initiatives have reversed the trend of always losing and have actually passed popular votes. 

Hmm...what is this feeling?  Could it be that thing I've heard of before... Optimism?

It's the people speaking up. Not the loud mouths who are being pandered to by the parties.. but the actual people

Stattick

Well, every 4 years, the voting power of the White Male goes down about ~3%. At the same time, white women are waking up to the fact that the Republican Party is poison for them. Between that, and the forty year long embrace by the GOP of bigotry, I don't think there's any chance that Hispanics, women, or any other group is suddenly going to switch to voting for the GOP. The Republicans are facing a disease of attrition, where people are leaving the party, and no one new is coming in. Add to that the fact that most of the GOP's voters are over the age of 45, and the baby boomers are starting to reach the age where age related dementia starts to take hold, I don't think they've got much longer to be a viable force in US politics, unless they undergo massive changes to be inclusive of others. The only real question, is how fast will this disease of attrition have a profound result? Will it be four years, or twenty? Probably somewhere in between, but it's coming. It's almost Darwinian. You could call it Social Darwinism in action.
O/O   A/A

Stattick

Quote from: Marikir on November 07, 2012, 12:34:25 AM

It's called, Hope.
O/O   A/A