Twin Peaks: Return to the Black Lodge (Interest Check)

Started by Zillah, June 23, 2014, 09:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zillah

To be honest, I'm not sure if there would be much interest in a mystery-themed RP based on a cult TV show that's well over 20 years old ... I guess that's why they call this an "interest check"! ::)

Anyway, I'm thinking of running a group RP loosely based on the events of the show "Twin Peaks". Twenty-two years after the murder of Laura Palmer and the disappearance of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper, two young girls are found dead under mysterious circumstances in Twin Peaks, Washington. With the words "FIRE WALK WITH ME" carved into the arm of one of the girls, it looks like a long-ago killer may be back on the prowl.

This would be a freeform mystery RP, with supernatural elements. I'm really looking for players who are familiar with the original Twin Peaks series, and who have at least seen some episodes of the show. If I get some interest in this, I'll put up a more fleshed-out outline for this group game and begin asking for character concepts.

Strangefate

This could be garmonbozia interesting.   ;) 

Several years ago, I was actually involved in a (non-erotic) RP very loosely inspired by Twin Peaks.  Quite a bit of fun, actually.  My only concern is how the mystery and supernatural element of it will be handled, I guess.  Will it be GM controlled?  Or purely freeform?  Things can get kind of messy with the later in my experience.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Zillah

Yes, it would definitely be GM controlled (with myself as the GM). By freeform, I meant that this RP wouldn't be using a structured rules system. But this wouldn't be a sandbox environment - each character would have reasons to figure out the (new) weird things happening in Twin Peaks, and have some incentives to work together. I wouldn't be running a true player character in this - just setting up the scenarios and scenes and running some NPCs, and trying to keep things pointed towards an eventual conclusion to the story.

There would be opportunities for smut in this - some of the action would take place in the renovated One-Eyed Jack's, now run by Audrey Horne - but this would basically be a mystery at heart.

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

AmberStarfire

Interesting. I loved that show. I'm keeping an eye on this too.

Madriv

Ye gods, how did I miss this?

I'm uncontrollably interested.

Zillah

Thanks, Madmartigan. Glad to see you here (and everyone else who's posted here and expressed interest as well!).

If I get two or three more interested players, I'll post a more detailed story background and outline, as well as a character sheet template.

Chreestafer

Sounds interesting however I've never seen the show. So im going to look it up and watch it.  How long of a series was it? One series, 8 series?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

AmberStarfire

I think there's just 2 seasons as well as the movie, Fire Walk with Me. There may have been another movie but I'm not sure.

Zillah

Yes, two seasons and a movie.

For purposes of this RP, the two seasons of the show would be most relevant; the movie much less so.

Cosmo_ac

You have perked my curiosity with this.  Are you thinking perhaps this time a small group of FBI agents are sent, or perhaps something else?

I've seen all of Twin Peaks, and incidentally if you are a fan, I would highly recommend playing "Deadly Premonition" for the Xbox360/PS3, as the game was highly influenced by the series.

nailcrosser

Diehard fan of the show, though I drifted off the wagon towards the latter half of the second season. I know of Agent Cooper's fate, however, and would love for this roleplay fill in some of the blanks about the show and create many more.

AmberStarfire

I've also read the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (they published it) and played the board game. :D

Cosmo_ac

QuoteI've also read the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer (they published it) and played the board game. :D

If AmberStarfire plays sexy female FBI agents, I call dibs on her as a partner :p

nailcrosser

Had no clue there was a board game, though I'm not surprised. Most anything popular in the 90s became a board game eventually *stares at his boxes of Simpsons Clue and Rugrats Backyard Toy Hunt* god why do I have these?

mia h

Quote from: AmberStarfire on July 05, 2014, 10:04:59 PM
I've also read the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer....
BOB's name is a warning : Beware Of Bob.

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Cosmo_ac on July 05, 2014, 10:23:36 PM
If AmberStarfire plays sexy female FBI agents, I call dibs on her as a partner :p

I would love to!

Quote from: mia h on July 06, 2014, 02:31:35 AM
BOB's name is a warning : Beware Of Bob.

That sounds familiar.

mia h

Quote from: AmberStarfire on July 06, 2014, 08:05:58 AM
That sounds familiar.
It's the only line from the Secret Diary that I can remember  ;D

Kadigan

Always liked the show, thought I would throw my hat in as interested...I'm up for most any character really..maybe a Deputy or some such, once the plot gets more hashed out..

Cosmo_ac

Well, here is my char's pic.

And the Not Safe for Work Pic

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Madriv

Did anybody else see the "Dual Spires" episode of Psych that was a Twin Peaks tribute? Sherilyn Fenn is still gorgeous.

Zillah

Quote from: Madmartigan on July 06, 2014, 04:14:33 PM
Did anybody else see the "Dual Spires" episode of Psych that was a Twin Peaks tribute? Sherilyn Fenn is still gorgeous.

Oh yes. And definitely yes.

I'll try to have the overview for this RP up in the next few days. This has already gotten more interest than I expected, so color me genuinely pleased.

Bloodied Porcelain

Tentatively interested. I remember watching a few episodes a loooong time ago and really liking them, so I'll have to look them up and rewatch both seasons, but that should be something I can do over the course of next weekend because I have no life am incredibly dedicated to ideas that catch my interest. Plus, the game has Mad, so that's a bonus in and of itself. >.>
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Cosmo_ac

Zillah

RL reared its ugly head. I haven't had time to put this together just yet.

Will do so when I get a chance.