Curse of Strahd [D&D 5e; Closed]

Started by nomadsoul, May 13, 2018, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomadsoul

CURSE OF STRAHD

Beware.  He who dares to venture, where angels fear to tread.

Barovia, a shadowy realm of mists and dark enchantment; many a tale has been spoken of this storied land, yet few seem to know how to reach it.  Few, except perhaps the gypsy Vistani who often spread these tales, claiming it to be home.  The songs of the Vistani paint it as an idyllic valley where the stain of civilization is almost unknown, a land where beauty and secrets slumber, a place where man and woman may go to find a renewed appreciation of life once they cross the gated threshold of Barovia, watched over by twin statues of great heroes.  Over it all, the Vistani are always lavish in their stories of their tragic, yet enduring prince, who's rule has never been disturbed by rebellion or unrest that is the province of lesser men.  It is a telling that makes for a good tale, more so as the Vistani are free with their drink and food and lusty zest for life, wheeling in dance and music around roaring bonfires that may tumble into other arenas of passion.

It has proven a pleasant enough break from the dreary monotony of the road to travel with these ribald folk, and, so, when you awaken in chilly morning to find the colorful caravans gone and the fires burned out to cold ashes with only a few companions of the road in sight, it is a jarring sight.  Were the woods around you always so dark and foreboding?  What of this pervasive mist?  Why have your hosts abandoned you?  There are no answers to be had, only the low rumble of thunder from the heavy storm clouds that roil above.  In the far distance, you can see immense stone buttresses in which massive iron gates are set, flanked on either side by twin statues of heroic proportion.  Behind you, an ominous fog conceals the road back like some unnatural wall that towers from the ground into unseen heights above as though it would touch the sky.

INTRODUCTION
Hello and thanks for looking in to my first contribution to Elliquiy!  For those who haven't already deduced it, this idea is based on the D&D adventure module of the same name, which is a dark fantasy setting, though I have made a few adaptations to the story and mythology of the world.  That said, players don't need to be familiar with the setting.

Summary: In a nutshell, the PCs have been accompanying a Vistani caravan (together or individually) as group travel helps avoid bandits along a long stretch of wilderness road.  The gypsies have been warm and friendly (with the general mood of their company described above), but after going to sleep one night, everyone wakes up in the morning to find the caravan gone or vanished, and they themselves in a strange, unknown land.  The PCs need to band together to survive and figure out how to escape from this dark land.

Setting: By way of OOC information, the entirety of the adventure takes place within the confines of the shadow-cursed lands of Barovia, which is, in truth, a demi-plane of its own.  It's a broad valley (approx. 12 x 18 miles), consisting largely of hills and woodland, with three lakes and three major settlements.  A deadly fog surrounds the lands and keeps everything and everyone imprisoned within.  The population of Barovia is overwhelmingly human dominant (though ethnicities are curiously varied), though the locals are somewhat familiar with nonhumans by way of the occasional transients that come through or by gossip.  Undead of various sorts frequently plague the realm, as do aggressive packs of wolves.  Werewolves are known to exist here as well.  The castle of Ravenloft and its master, Strahd von Zarovich, dominates virtually every aspect of this dread realm.

GM Style: For myself, I consider myself a GM who focuses on storytelling and character development, rather than an adversarial style of play.  I don't intend this game to be 'combat heavy', though PCs will be fighting for their lives on a few occasions as the plot demands (rather than room-crunching through a dungeon or random encounters).  I tend to reward perceptive, intelligent, and/or creative playing styles, and going through the lore of the setting and making friends and allies will rarely go unrewarded.  That said, I'm a big believer in consequence, so being overly careless is a good way to stack the odds against PCs.  I tend to prefer realistic characters to hyper-optimized ones.  Also of note, whilst not my first time in the GM's seat, it will be my first time GMing via forum, so I can only counsel a little patience (and will gladly accept pointers) whilst I adjust.

Players: I'm looking for about 3-4 players who are there to enjoy a good story as well as the rewards of awesome camaraderie with fellow adventurers.  Players (not necessarily their characters) should be cooperative in their efforts during the game.  Stealing from, antagonizing, sabotaging, or killing other PCs is strictly forbidden.  Friendly brawls or horseplay is okay.  The game is LGBT friendly.  At the end of the day, please respect the limits and comfort zones of others.

Source Material: Players are free to use material from the Player's Handbook, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Xanathar's Guide to EverythingVolo's Guide to Monsters, and Elemental Evil Player's Companion except where mentioned below.

Sexual Activity: Smut won't be plot-central, though I'll hardly object to it's presence, however much or little.  Certainly, I will make Barovia more 'accessible' than the standard adventure module for Curse of Strahd indicates, and players can look to my O/Os to see what I'd be willing to indulge in or not.  At the end of the day, all I ask is that players not let it interfere with the progression of the game itself.  Likewise, if PCs are so engaged, I can take a hint and won't cut it short unless there's a story-critical reason why I need to interrupt.

Post Rate: I'm hoping for 2 posts per player per week (more works too), but at least once a week at a minimum.

CHARACTERS
Still interested?  Awesome!  Then it's safe to assume that we can proceed to sketching out the character at this point.  In addition to the below, just provide some history and a bit about the character's personality.  If you feel creative enough, you can feel free to come up with up to two character concepts.  This will not be a first come, first served basis, so I'll give things a couple of days (maybe a week) before making a selection.

Starting Level: 3rd.  The PC may have had a minor adventure or two in their time, but nothing remarkable.

Ability Scores: Points buy, with 32 points to spend.

Alignment: Any.  But I would like to stress cooperation.

Race: Any detailed in the PHB.  Aasimar and Firblog from Volo's Guide.  Some cosmetic changes are detailed below.

• Aasimar. These celestial descendants basically look like humanoids (the base of which could be human, elf, half-elf, etc...) until they activate their radiant consumption/soul or necrotic shroud ability, which gives them an eerie, eldritch appearance.
  • Dragonborn. These are the dragon-blooded descendants of humanoids (again, the base of which could be any humanoid as above).  They effect the appearance of their base race, but with draconic features.  Common people can rarely tell the difference between dragonborn and tieflings, and frequently lump them with the latter.  Anyone proficient in Intelligence [Arcana] can spot the subtle differences straight away.
  • Firblog. In this setting, Firblogs are primeval elves, frequently called sylvan elves.  Elven in appearance, they are taller, closer to nature, have antlers or horns almost without exception, and their men are capable of growing beards.
  • Human. Players can use either the standard or variant human as suits their preference.
  • Tieflings. Rather than the standardized devilish appearance of 5e, tieflings have a wider variety of appearance, as per their 3.5 and Pathfinder counterparts.  Like aasimars, tieflings can be born to any race, though most are from human stock.

Class & Specializations: Any from the PHB, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and Xanathar's Guide to Everything.  Clerics and religious sorts should use the Forgotten Realms pantheon, though it should be noted that in Barovia proper, religion is a simplistic affair divided between the defunct Morninglord (roughly approximating Lathander) and Mother Night (a night deity without modern analogue), though only the latter is considered active.  Magic users may occasionally find their magic fluctuating in strange ways in Barovia.

Backgrounds: All backgrounds from the PHB, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and Curse of Strahd module accepted.

Starting Equipment: Characters begin with maximum wealth available to their starting class (e.g. 80 gp for a barbarian, 200 for a bard, etc...) and buy their equipment from there rather than those gained from background and class.

If there are any questions or clarification required, feel free to voice them!  Thanks for checking this out!

ererruz

Very interested! :) Probably a divine caster of some kind (paladin/sorcerer, cleric or divine soul sorcerer).

nomadsoul

Velcome Welcome ererruz!  No complaints from me there; I'll just look forward to seeing what you come up with :-)

Totoro

I'm definitely interested.

Odd combo as I'm having my first foray into forum DM'ing at the same time, and also running Curse irl at the same time.

I'm thinking of a frontline Barbarian, probably a half orc if Goliath's not an option.

nomadsoul

Howdy Sun!  I tend to find myself doing more preparation work for this than on the table, lol.  Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out and hope it won't be a bust.

Totoro

Quote from: nomadsoul on May 13, 2018, 06:25:57 PM
Howdy Sun!  I tend to find myself doing more preparation work for this than on the table, lol.  Still, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out and hope it won't be a bust.

My game on here's homebrew so most of the world/prep's in my own brain. Worldbuilding thread's pushing 20k words though I think, so that's where the effort goes there.

If you want to chat about anything from the CoS side or DM'ing side let me know. I've had a couple of cool experiences so far running it via some interesting things you can add in. Also you can't spoiler me so there's no issues there. Hence thinking Barbarian, he's not going to be smart enough to use any knowledge I might have.

iridum248

Oooh, I'm very, very interested in this too. I'm more familiar with older editions, but I'd love to play a female Fighter or Paladin, with the appropriately Gothic-Horror-ish look.

Chulanowa

You've got my interest. i'll try to not let my knowledge of the adventure gaiend htrough watching the Waffle crew bleed over though  ;D

nomadsoul

Hello iridum248 and Chulanowa, thanks for looking in!  Feel free to submit your concepts and I'll give them a look-see :-)

With regards to existing knowledge, I wouldn't worry too much about it as I've made some modifications to the module so all will not be as it seems. ;)

Revelation

Of definite interest! I've been having an itch to play a Paladin or a Hexblade as of late so i'd love to give it a go here.

nomadsoul

Awesomeness!  I look forward to seeing what you up with ;D

Zaer Darkwail

I voice interest, playing either ranger, paladin or cleric of war domain perhaps.

Muse

*pounce!* 

May I play? 

I'd love to bring in either a Wizard (Bladesinger) or a Cleric of Lathander?  I could offer something else if it would help the group, though.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Roleplay Frog

But, will it be classic Curse of Strahd?

Or Senor Strahd?

Or what about

NSFW Lady Strahd?

Just saying, so many possibilities!

Revelation

Do you want sheets to go with background/character information immediately, or would you prefer to hold off on sheets until you pick the characters for the game?

Chulanowa

Kinda eyeballing the arcane casters; Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard, maybe Bard.

RedPhoenix

I'm tagging this thread for interest but I won't be able to get a character up within the next week due to RL stuff so if it goes longer than that or you need a replacement down the road I want to get noticed so consider this a post for that reason! :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

nomadsoul

Welcome all!  Everyone is free to submit characters as they please, up to a maximum of two per person as noted in the opening post.  At the end of the week or so, I'll probably make decisions from there.  I do not see an immediate need to stat out a sheet (unless you wish to do so), but possibly let everyone know your ability scores, in addition to background/personality and what other information you feel is of significance to the identity of your PC.

This version of Curse of Strahd will be familiar enough to those versed in the module, but I suspect different enough that anticipation of things won't be an easy matter.

Roleplay Frog

QuoteThis version of Curse of Strahd will be familiar enough to those versed in the module, but I suspect different enough that anticipation of things won't be an easy matter.

I like the sound of that. Not that I ever finished the whole thing.. but I had a CN character that tried to romance one of Strahds brides. Mixed success?

In my humble opinion, one gets the greatest enjoyment out of Ravenloft by playing genuine heroic heroes, with a realistic edge to them that is. I'll do some pondering, see if I come up with an adequate concept.

Zaer Darkwail

Indeed, classic heroes with edge makes most sense. My own concept shifts between these ideas;

-Doctor House inspired personality hammered into war priest/cleric (human)
-A Donald Duck personality inspired ranger (duck as is not a race so closest would be a shifter)
-A bitter half-elf prince paladin who was set on a impossible heroic quest prove himself to be worthy being a king in his homeland (all because asshole oracle had told prophecy of such in his birth while in truth said oracle abuses it's position far too much)

Roleplay Frog

I help you narrow down one of yours, you help me narrow down one of mine? ^^ I think the doctor house could be both interesting and helpful, but Can't really see the duck.. ranger?

I'm pondering on either a swording Bard, loyal servant to a beloved mercenary leader, who lost the same to evil trickery.. and then went too far in avenging. Rolls: Party face, secondary attacker.

Or a Paladin, once hopeful noble, now disillusioned at the things their own sibling did, to ensure the right to the throne.

Also, if the rebels thing one day allows me enough time, definitly ought to run a Ravenloft thing here, looking at the interest. ^^

Florence

I've been itching for 5e, so I'm absolutely down.

I've been wanting to play a monk, so yeah... I'll have something written up ASAP!
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, Donald Duck references mostly short tempered ranger who explodes into frenzy when someone disturps him in his forest. Shifter totem he presents more closely a honey badger. But overall good guy otherwise and likes simple joys of life. But indeed doctor House cleric would be interesting (and helpful as despite being war domain he does know heal skill and healing spells).

From your ideas swording bard is bit, well, vanilla on being tragic avenger. I would had aimed more to Monte Cristo routine in sense the revenge has not yet been complete (he was in goal pursuing it but Ravenloft business interupts it, unless unintentionally he wounds up facing nemesis in Ravenloft). But overall favoring more the paladin as paladin fits Ravenloft story very well (and interesting that they are redeeming themselves for things their sibling had done).

Roleplay Frog

Paladin idea it is. *hammering noises*

Oh I can give everything a twist, but the thing is, one problem you do not want in a ravenloft setting is a big reason to want to get out.. that comes all on it's own. :P

Revelation

I'm highly leaning toward a Hexblade/Pact of the blade warlock myself. I like the idea of someone who willingly made a choice to work with a power he didn't quite understand to help others. Friends or family in danger - and obviously, despite being saved he either is guided by his Patron toward Barovia, or feels that by staying home, he's inviting further danger. Someone who is a good person at heart, but with the ambiguity of his patron, perhaps finds himself conflicted between what he wants to do and what the pact might want him to do as well. Given that the hexblade has connections to The Raven Queen - a being notoriously against undead, I could see a pilgrimage to Barovia leaving him plenty to do.

Thinking he may have either been the son of a priest/preacher, an undertaker, or perhaps his family had a history of being executioners, something like that. Just sorta spitballing thoughts.

Roleplay Frog

Concept 1 (might come about with something else later!)

Melana Lionheart
LG Human female

Paladin of Tyr, Oath of Vengeance
Desired role: Tank, secondary combattant and potential face
High stats: Str, Charisma, might go high cons if we lack in frontlining otherwise. Low stats: dex

Personality: Once upon a time, Melana was an idealist, believing in the tales of heroes of old, in mercy and justice for all. Recent events in her history have left her more down to earth and practical about many things. Yes, one should strife to do good, but not without reason. Yes, one should strife for justice, but not recklessly. If you have to lock the cities gates down while there's a few peasants outside, that's horrible.. but still better than your town being taken by the enemy.
She is not quite Jaded, still able to rally people to her cause and defend the innocent, but she wont be fooled by evil. Not anymore.

Storystuff:
Melana was a princess, the elder sister of Imira Lionheart and first to the throne of an admittedly small, yet highly valued kingdom. She wore beautiful dresses, adorned in jewelry and pampered as only a firstborn princess to once be queen could be.
Still, she felt restricted by the chains of royalty, leaving her royal life for a soldiers mission, as goodly mercenary group.
She learned a multitude of strategical approaches to all situations of war and formed The Griphons, a mercenary company and soon, they became reknown throughout the land and beyond.
They fought for Lady Melana and for her, all evil fell. They followed her to battle and they'd have followed her to hell. To each and every one of them, she was queen already and so much more still.

But then, one day, Melana recieved word of her father becoming very ill and had to decide between her Griphons and the crown. Reluctantly, and, secretly, somewhat suspicious of her often scheming younger sister, Melana returned to the Lionheart castle.
What happened next, Melana refused to speak about.. to anyone. Only her Griphons can attest to it, for it was them who checked on her, recieving no word for many months. The first they sent was one of their best. He never returned.

More of the mercenaries soon came, rallying under the Griphons scream. They found their leaders uncle and aunt banished. They found the King long dead. And what happened to Melana.. they found out soon after.

When the Griphons and those of the royal guard loyal to Imira or just oblivious clashed for the right of sucession, and freedom of their beloved leader, it was a terrible bloodshed, but, ultimately, the training Melana had imparted and their devotion served the Griphons well.

The guards surrendered and Melana emerged from the dungeon of her very own castle, the iron hood used to hide her identity removed, but leaving a permanent scarring, usually hidden by her hair. When she recounted her sisters deeds to the royal guard, hostility immediatly ended and she was swiftly reinstated as rightful queen, turning her sister scheming to be for naught.
Still, ever since that day, she emerged.. changed from the experience. A shadow of betrayal and of torture hung over her hed forevermore. She watched her sisters own execution with a hardened smile and imposed new laws for the country, that in the long term ensured it's stability and prosperity, trying to rebuild and undo the chaos her mercenaries fighting against her sisters royal guard had inflicted upon the land, growing more distant from her old friends, the Griphons, as loyal as they may be, for the things they had done to her loyal guards, even with great need.
Just as she was now more distant from some of her people, for what they had allowed to happen to her.
She became by no means a cruel ruler, but a certain cheerful, human element seemed to often lack from her interactions

Dread Possibility for the character:

Melana's distance to her Griphons and changed personality is not at all due to torture, but, finding the tide of battle fading, the cruel younger sister took her name and place. They both looked similiar enough after all, and those scars of hers are not at all from capture and torture.. they are the result of a hasted surgery to look exactly like Melana. After all, the execution was witnessed by few people and one of those witnesses just.. disappeared soon after.

Melana had, after all, more than once told her Griphons of her sisters scheming ways and hunger for the throne.
Furthermore, whatever she knows of the Griphons, Imira could have learned by torturing the information out of her sister.
Imira, under Melana's name is actually not a Paladin of Justice for Tyr, but an Oathbreaker Paladin of Gargauth, who delights in her sucessful scheming as much as Tyr once did in Imira's sisters heroic displays.

Florence

I was originally thinking of going Way of the Open Hand, but as I've started working on her, a fairly different character sort of evolved, and I'm really digging it.

I'll get something more detailed put up later, probably including a character sheet, because I find it's easier to work out the details of a system character WHILE I'm building them.

But right now, the general idea is that she's an urchin from the ghetto of some big human city, did what she had to in order to get by, pickpocketing, burglary, etc. Somehow or another, she caught the attention of an order of ninja/shadowdancers, possibly the old "she tried picketing a master's pocket" trope. Regardless, she received formal training in stealth and martial arts.

I've got her name down right now as "Eirlys", though I'm still mulling it over. I'm thinking, being a street urchin, she probably doesn't have a surname. Her family couldn't afford one.

She's got a low charisma and intelligence, since she's not really 'refined' or 'elegant' by any stretch, and she damn sure never really received proper book learnin. Her strength is decent, but given her monk training she relies more on dexterity to get stuff done. She's also got a high wisdom thanks both to her training, and her growing up in pretty much the D&D version of the hood. Constitution is likewise pretty good, thanks to her training.

In regards to her personality, I'm still ironing it out, but the general concept is like... she's got a pretty good heart. I've got her down as Chaotic Good (ha, suck it old-school monk alignment restrictions!), and that's kind of reflective of her overall desire to help others and work for a greater good. But she's also really not good with authority. She views authority as inherently oppressive and so she has a degree of mistrust towards anyone she views as wielding too much power over others.

Also, she's a decent cook. Growing up on the streets she had to find ways stale bread and whatever she could steal into something palatable.

Combat role wise, she's all about stealth and damage dealing.

I may or may not be joking when I say her themesong is "Mama Said Knock You Out" by LL Cool J.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Roleplay Frog

Concept 2
Alexander Gravenholme
TN Human Male
(Monsterhunter?) Fighter
Desired Role: Primary combattant with a hint of skills.(Gravedigger)
High stats: Str, Cons. Low stats: Prolly wis.
Random theme musics or this?

Personality:
Alexander is sombre, talkative, and average. For his profession and by his claims, anyway. To the average person he more likely comes over as a rather serious man with a more than healthy amount of dark humor, a side-effect of his trade. He is certainly not a bad man that would inflict pain on others without great need, nor is he a saint that would give away his belongings to the needy.
He was, for the longest time not an adventurer either and he has simple dreams of having a well kept business, perhaps with a wife that looks good in black to help him out, nothing too fancy.
However. He very much dislikes undead and even worse, those practicing necromancy. The rest of his clients are after all, very much reliant on him and his good name is on the line when ensuring such creatures eternal rest. He is not cowardly, but if he finds a few crossbow-bolts aimed at him he is more likely to surrender than fight on without need for some grand cause. On the other hand, when confronted by the undead, he just sighs, or even begins to humm a chipper tune and gets to work, even if the odds seem dangerous. He tries to always be dressed proper and presentably, as would be expected of a man of his profession.

Backstory
Alexander is a fourth-Generation Funeral home owner. From a young age, he knew he wanted to take on his fathers job. He enjoyed the peace and quiet.. and giving it to other people was something respectable. He sucessfully took over his fathers obligations after an untimely but natural death and was about to woo the perfect young maiden to aid him in his duties, but tragedy struck.

A necromancer raised an army of his and his fathers past clients to march against a nearby adventuring party that had opposed him, caring little for the townspeople, which just ment more soldiers for the undead army. For Alexander, who had the luck of sleeping behind a locked door, it ment losing who he thought the love of his young life.
When the necromancer was finally destroyed, Alexander was left with the thankless task of trying to bury a mass of old bones. He had to figure out out which bone belonged where.. and worse, much worse, bury many of the zombified versions of townsfolk he had known.. including her. There was little he could do but give her the most beautiful coffin he owned, one ment for a noble, and get to his grisly work. When he was done, it felt as if the young man had grown many years older and although he swallowed down his despair and sorrow, much of his serious and graven tone was no longer just an act for any relatives.

But that was not the end of his woes. Thanks to the Necromancers overly generous and desperate spellcasting, Alexanders little graveyard had become soaked in enough negative energy to cause corpses to spontaneously rise, occasionally, even years after the necromancer had been gone.
This was, of course, poison to his business and the man decided.. he would not let this stand.
He would bury all undead that still walked the earth and make sure they stayed where they belonged. His shovel had served him well enough against the average zombie after all.

And so he did and he headed out. Overall, no one complained about paying his 'burial fees' for undead, after all, he was a lot cheaper than most adventurers and more than one commoner could appreciate his sombre, respectful tone and dark but elegant outfit.
He vastly prefers fighting corporeal undead, putting them back into their resting place, but he somewhat afraid facing incorporeal undead and beasts of the land. His shovel is by now sharpened and rebuild to be more of a greataxe than a spade.
Over time he became actually quite good at his craft, and the varied application thereof, to at least handle the more common and simple types of undead.
He has heard of, and would be fascinated-scared trying to challenge something like a vampire or lich. For starters, he wondered, would they have to pay heir own burrial fees upfront? Unlike the unthinking dead, they had a choice of funeral home, of course. Then again, considering their kinds tendency to disturb the rest of others, they could not be allowed to continue as they pleased.
It is still his conviction that all undead simply require.. and desire, a proper bit of rest. He has even prepared a pamphlet extolling the virtues of Gravenholme-Family burrials, trying to make light of an otherwise dire situation.

Wherever the by now somewhat experienced undeadhunter went, he found more of his quarry to properly put into their graves, but not always someone to pay for the service, as it was hard to find the next-of-kin for a skeleton, still, where there was no pay, his conviction drove him on.
The thing he does not realize is that, after slaying a multitude of the undead and lacking a cleric or paladins precautions he himself has become soaked in excess necrotic energies, not harming him but oftentimes beckoning the undead to him, enticing them, like if he was a strange fishers lure. The world is not as filled with the living dead as he thinks it.

Zaer Darkwail

Jack 'blade' Steel

CN Human Male
Cleric (War Domain)
Desired Role: Combat support, healer
High stats: Str and Wis. Low; Cha.

Personality:
Jack is self-driven, mercenary minded and do nothing unless it entertains him or he is paid for it. He for personal reasons do not form deep bonds or attachments (avoids), but at times he grows attached but hardly admits it. He does enough good to be tolerable nor he would go shallow end of moral pool but he tips his toes there time to time. Usually stuff which harms no one (like robbing the dead belongings or break into abandoned house to steal stuff). But he does respect debts, oaths and contracts. They are absolute and he follows the letter usually than spirit of the contract.

Backstory

Jack was born to farm with parents who were born and raised in same village as their grandparents were. However early on his life he faced tragedy as bandits came and raided the village, killing his parents and butcher lifestock and burn the fields. Emotionally numb he joined the bandits where rest of village starved to death; he survived thanks his cold decision. But years later he betrayed the gang to local law forces as revenge for years ago done cruelty to him and thanks his cooperation he was set free.

Early on life as bandit he came to sort realization to brutality of violence and became entirely disconnected to ideals of nation, honor codes and such; violence was violence as was life was life and death was death. He embraced that simple philosophy and this then manifested in sudden 'miracles' he could perform when he willed it enough. He prays no gods, does not acknowledge any even popular war gods which all have agenda, he follows path of pure war. Unmasked, in all it's ugly glory it has.

So far only true blessing and meaningful benefit of violence; were spoils of battle and war. Coin, treasures, women and hookers. So he embraced it as well and became mercenary. Preach no god, carry miracles one hand and sturdy heavy blade in other as he carves and lives on life on his own indulgences. He finds joys in simple violence, but also practicing and creating brilliant stratagems and outsmarting foes which are stronger in size, might or numbers. Thus prove his superior finesse to arts of war which are largely self-taught to himself.

iridum248

So, I'm going with a classic Paladin, after the Wuthering Heights / House of Mystery archetype. She'd probably feel right at home...

Concept 1

Lady Arisa Ortensia
LG Human Female

Paladin of the Radiant One, Oath of Devotion
Desired role: Party Face, Tank
High Stats: Strength, Charisma.
Low Stats: Int, Wis

Personality:

Soft-spoken, a little wry, slightly fatalistic. Has a sense of humor, but prefers to play the noble - She had a classical education, after all. It's hard not to be *slightly* aloof...Though she's working on having a 'common touch'. Tends to be a little philosophical, but an optimist despite it all...What doesn't kill you, after all, makes you stronger. Generally reliable, with no major quirks...But tends to be overconfident, believing that she's invulnerable until she finds her destiny.

Actually kind of morbid - She's unfazed by grisly sights, given her training and the lore she's studied. She has a really poor beside manner, however...She's just not reassuring at all!

Like any Devotion Paladin, her word's her bond. It's just natural for her.

Background:

The youngest daughter of a minor noble house (distinguished by it's role in the knighthood!), Arisa's actually really unfortunate. Bad luck seems to follow her, like a shroud - Though it tends to target those around her, to their detriment. Her father died in a poorly-timed crusade, and her brother took over her education...Until her fiancee-to-be (a childhood friend) was killed in a carriage accident. Her sister alone escaped this fate by marrying out, and moving to a distant province.

Her brother took her to the only trade he knew: the knighthood. He used his contacts with the Order of Illumination to enrol her in training...Before he went off and got himself maimed in a border skirmish, one of the brushfire wars that happen now and again. To her own surprise, Arisa took to the training well - She's earned the title of Knight-Errant, and she's ventured forth to do good, as is her wont.

So far, she's only fought bandits, wolves and the occasional stray undead. But Arisa feels that bigger things are around the corner for her...One way or another. After all, she must have some great destiny in store, right?

Interestingly enough, Arisa's never had a lover. Some instinct has made her shy away from a serious commitment, and that's probably a good thing - It's spared some young nobleman a grisly fate. She's likely to be the last of her house, unless her brother makes a miraculous recovery. (He won't.)

(Note: Like any true gothic horror heroine, Lady Arisa has the title to her family's decaying estates, now neglected and falling to ruin. It's very likely that someday, it'll go up in a big fire, and she'll be in the middle of the inferno when it happens. She's throwing herself into her work, as a way to avoid going home.)

Revelation

Still looking for art, but...

Anton Petrovna

NG Human Male
Warlock (Pact of the Blade, Hexblade Patron)
Desired role: Gish, with face skills.
High stats: Cha, Con. Low stats: Lowest stat will probably be strength at around 10.

Personality: One might initially see Anton as a solitary individual, with little in the way of friends or comrades. While it is true he has been traveling alone, he is a man who gets deeply invested when working with others and seeks to help out friends when possible. However, despite being a compassionate man, Anton is somewhat haunted as well - knowing he serves a mysterious patron with vague motives, he's sometimes caught in the reflection of wondering whether he's merely a pawn in some greater game, or if it was free will that brought about his 'gifts' and he accepted the bargain willingly.

History: Born in one of countless, nameless farming villages, Anton was the son of the town Priest, an ardent follower of The Morninglord. Despite the god of dawn seemingly abandoning its people, he was able to keep faith strong in the village, their faith and desire for safety keeping the village hearty and hale. Expected to follow in his fathers footsteps and take on the reigns of the church when he was of age, Anton was a well liked child growing up, and even as a young adult aging into maturity, most looked to the kind young man with respect. While he lacked the zeal his father possessed, he was a good man who sought to help others and knew a hard days worth of work.

Much of this changed when Anton was out in the fields one day, helping an elderly couple with their farmwork. As the sun cast streaks of orange and violet across the sky as it fell, there was a sound no one had heard in years - the toll of a warning bell, quickly followed by the loud gongs and crashing noise of the church bell. The town was under attack, and it was a call for others to find shelter or hide. Bandits had decided that the town was ripe for the picking: Old walls, little in the way of guard, and plenty of food to take for themselves. What little militia there was was being overwhelmed by the time that he had ran back to the town proper, and not knowing how to fight himself, Anton simply did the best he could, seeking to get others to the safety of the parish.

Though, as he arrived at the church, he felt something strange - an immediate, stabbing pain in his mind. The needling was intense as his vision blurred, but was enough to tell him something. The town would fall, and he would die unless he did something. Whatever was causing the pain, was also seeking to give him aid. Seeing people he had known through the years fighting for their lives, Anton quickly accepted whatever this thing was - and before he knew it, something had changed. Where his hand was empty, it now held a blade, and where he had no gifts, he felt magic in him, calling out to be used! Fighting with the blade like he had been trained to since he could hold one, he was able to help turn the tide with blade and magic... Though the sudden gifts did not go unnoticed. As the bandits decided to cut their losses and try elsewhere, the townspeople had a new thing to fear: The priests son who suddenly new magic of a darker nature. With a heavy though firm heart, it was decided by his father that Anton was to leave the town as an exile, rather than face the noose for witchcraft, or another terrible fate.

It's been a few years since then. Anton has found himself called from place to place in dreams - usually to quell undead harassing other towns, or perhaps to just keep him on the road. Whatever gave him his gifts let him keep them, and more importantly, it seems to have a purpose for him of one sort or another...

Standard warlock stuff - though with a slightly religious bent to the backstory, and Anton himself still probably has some religious nature to his being, though rather than be a shining paladin, he's instead swinging his blade with a more ambiguous force behind his force of will!

Lyku

I am assuming that this is already full.  If there is an opening, I would be interested in either a Human Wizard (War Magic) or Half Elf Bard (College of Swords).
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Lyku on May 15, 2018, 02:29:39 PM
I am assuming that this is already full.  If there is an opening, I would be interested in either a Human Wizard (War Magic) or Half Elf Bard (College of Swords).

DM is not going by first hugs the poodle principle, but by interestingness.. and meshing of characters.

... and I'm still tempted to do a curse of Strahd myself, looking at the interest boom. ^^

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on May 15, 2018, 02:32:23 PM
... and I'm still tempted to do a curse of Strahd myself, looking at the interest boom. ^^

Would be nice, if lots folks get here and do char concepts but do not get in, you got ready recruit pool take folks in to your game :). I would willing join if your using 'lady' version of Strahd (that could be quite a twist on the tale).

Lyku

At the same time my interest is based on what is the pace that's to be expected from players. I know some people run games where they expect one or two posts a week while others expect more rapid responses.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on May 15, 2018, 02:56:21 PM
Would be nice, if lots folks get here and do char concepts but do not get in, you got ready recruit pool take folks in to your game :). I would willing join if your using 'lady' version of Strahd (that could be quite a twist on the tale).

Female Strahd -really- tempts me. though not sure if she'd be looking for groom-Ire.. Irenus? Irelius? hrmn.. .. you know what, shouting up before I spoiler anything unwittingly.. ^^

I agree with the DM here that 2 posts a week should be going towards a minimum requirement.. ofc, there's wiggle room with rl troubles, we all understand that, anyway.

iridum248

Ha, I'm not really keen on a female Strahd. I think that'd change the dynamic of things way too much.

Florence

Still need to find art for her, but I've gotten the rest worked out I think:

Name: Eliane

CG Human Female
Monk (Path of Shadow)
Desired role: Stealth, Melee Damage
High Stats: DEX, WIS
Low Stats: INT, CHA

Concept: A streetwise and free-spirited shadowdancer. An idealist to a fault. A stealthy brawler who can quickly maneuver around the battlefield to deliver the hurt where it's needed.

Personality: Eliane has a strong sense of right and wrong that doesn't always coincide with the law. In fact, it frequently runs contrary to it. She has a strong sympathy for others that grew up in the lowly conditions like she did, and is highly suspicious and critical of authority figures. She has a tendency to say what she means, and doesn't try to hide her beliefs. Despite her strongly held beliefs, she is not a humorless person. In fact, she is equally adamant in her belief that life should be enjoyed to its fullest, so long as one doesn't harm others in doing so. Growing up dirt poor has taught her never to take simple pleasures for granted, like a hot meal, a strong drink, and beautiful women.

She has been trained in both mundane and mystical stealth techniques, and she is inclined to pursue strategies that take advantage of those skills; but when guile has failed and violence is needed, she is more than willing to bring her martial training into play. In fact, she quite enjoys a good brawl from time to time, especially after a few drinks. Perhaps unsurprisingly, she's made her share of dwarven friends, and eventually even became fluent in their language. She's also particularly fond of dwarven cuisine, and especially their ales.

Backstory: Growing up on the streets of Athkatla, she was born as less than nothing in the eyes of the powerful. She was a speck of dirt in a muck covered slum. Hunger, loss and injustice were her constant friends during her formative years. She soon took to pickpocketing and the occasional burglary to keep her stomach full. As she got better, she grew more bold, and after the despair of losing her parents to illness, she grew utterly reckless. She didn't imagine she'd live very long anyway, so she figured she may as well enjoy what she could and spite the rich doing it.

Her reckless, but gifted, thievery thankfully caught the attention of the local Shadowdancers before it caught the attention of the guards, and she was given the opportunity to join their order, and seeing little else to do with her life, she hesitantly accepted. She found she took well to their training, enjoyed it even. She studied how to operate more effectively in the shadows, and her body was forged into a weapon. She even learned to channel her ki into shadow magic. One master in particular took her under her wing personally, and constantly pushed her to limits.

When it came to start going out on missions, she took to it well, at first. She especially loved when she was hired out to take the rich and powerful down a peg. However, the order held no such allegiances, and she would find herself working occasionally for the very people she despised. She chafed against the strict traditions and rules of her station, and she despised not having more opportunity to put her talents to use for more worthy causes. Bringing these up to her master only ever got her chastised, told to be patient, to work her way up the ranks until she had more influence to decide what jobs were and weren't taken.

She, however, knew that she could never work from within such an organization to achieve the goals she wanted to fight for. So, one day, she cut and ran, taking what supplies she could with her for the road, and hitting the road out of town before they could even realize she was gone. She didn't know how they'd take her leaving. She wondered if they'd send people after her. Even if that were the case, she had to do what she believed was right. Her conscience would let her do nothing else. So she took to the life of an adventurer, choosing her own jobs and her own battles.

nomadsoul

Thanks for all the interest so far!  Characters are looking neat and interesting :-)

As I noted in the opening post, and again by Roleplay Frog, anyone is free to submit characters until this coming Sunday, at which point I'll look over all applicants and which ones I feel confident of providing a game for.

As for female Strahd... well, all I'll confirm for this one is that Strahd will be male.  If it's of importance, all players should assume their PCs originated from Faerun in the Forgotten Realms.  If you're not altogether familiar with the setting, a generic write up of their background works as well and there is no penalty for not being familiar with the Forgotten Realms since everything is more or less focused in Barovia.

Florence

Oh, ya know, I hadn't put much thought into it, since I wasn't entirely sure if that was the case. But if the characters ARE from Faerun, then I think I'll edit Eirlys' sheet later and clarify that she's from Athkatla.

I'd do it now, but my brain is barely holding onto consciousness right now, lol, so I think I need a nap.

tobisquestion

I'm relatively new to D&D but I'm super keen and will try to throw up a character by the deadline.
Character images inspiration: Female - Male

nomadsoul

No worries tobi; 5e is among the easier versions of D&D out there!  Will look forward to seeing what you come up with :-)

Sye

Is this game friendly towards people who haven't played 5th Ed or do you prefer those who know the system?

nomadsoul

I certainly have no real objection.  If help is needed, anyone can feel free to drop me a line and I'd be happy to help!  Judging from what I've seen so far, I'm sure other would too.

Sye

Quote from: nomadsoul on May 16, 2018, 05:43:46 PM
I certainly have no real objection.  If help is needed, anyone can feel free to drop me a line and I'd be happy to help!  Judging from what I've seen so far, I'm sure other would too.

Oh I see that you already have people with finished characters and you wished for only 3 or 4. That's what I get for not looking at the next page lol

nomadsoul

Lol!  I'll just quote this again
Quote from: nomadsoul on May 16, 2018, 11:56:44 AM
As I noted in the opening post, and again by Roleplay Frog, anyone is free to submit characters until this coming Sunday, at which point I'll look over all applicants and which ones I feel confident of providing a game for.
As noted in the opening, PCs won't be chosen on a first come first serve basis.

Sye

Quote from: nomadsoul on May 16, 2018, 05:48:45 PM
Lol!  I'll just quote this againAs noted in the opening, PCs won't be chosen on a first come first serve basis.

Well I will face palm myself XD

nomadsoul

No worries ;D

Also, now that I think about it, everyone is free to revise their character concepts or details made.  The final one I'll be looking over is what it looks like on Sunday when I close up.

Revelation

I'd be happy to help any newbies with the system as well as far as character creation or advice goes.

Sye

Quote from: Changingsaint on May 16, 2018, 06:02:43 PM
I'd be happy to help any newbies with the system as well as far as character creation or advice goes.

I looked over what everyones concepts were and deciding if I should try something different.

Revelation

It definitely won't hurt to diversify, we have a something of a lack of real ranged, so an archer based fighter, rogue, possibly ranger, or an evocationist/blatser style wizard or sorcerer would be a strong choice.

nomadsoul

Quote from: Saika on May 16, 2018, 06:09:33 PM
I looked over what everyones concepts were and deciding if I should try something different.
Different as in concept or class?  I suspect concept is easy enough, so with regards to class, I'll say that there shouldn't be any monopolies on that aspect.

Sye

Wouldn't mind attempting a ranger or a ranged character actually. Bows are always handy, especially when you can sneak attack with it XD

RedPhoenix

Is there any particular format you want concepts pitched in? Is what people are posting so far what you are looking for? I keep thinking of cool ideas but argh this week is so busy. :)

nomadsoul

Hello RedPhoenix!  So far, I'm content with how the characters have been pitched.  Now that I think about it, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to know what the player's hopes for the game is and what they'd like to get out of it - it would certainly help me figure out if I can actually provide for those expectations!

Kathyan

Quote from: Saika on May 16, 2018, 05:47:01 PM
Oh I see that you already have people with finished characters and you wished for only 3 or 4.
Yeah I noticed this too.

Um, maybe it is too much to ask but perhaps you'd be willing to run two groups? ^^

nomadsoul

Quote from: Kathyan on May 16, 2018, 06:33:48 PM
Yeah I noticed this too.

Um, maybe it is too much to ask but perhaps you'd be willing to run two groups? ^^
Hiya Kathyan!  In theory, I may be able to, but to be honest, I want to make sure I can handle the initial one first.  Whilst I'm not new to GMing games, this will be my first time doing one on the forums and I'm finding the prep work piling a little, lol.

For now, at least, I will probably keep it down to one game, but if things seem relatively smooth, I might consider a second.

Kathyan

Ok, fair enough. :)

I'll still see what can I come up with to bring to the table.

Florence

For what it's worth, Roleplay Frog suggested that they might do a game of this too, based on all the interest it got here.

Sye

I haven't really played 5th ed so I have no idea who Strahd is. Looks like I got some googling to do.

nomadsoul

Not necessarily.  Ideally, it comes with the story ;)

Florence

Edited my post. I added a picture, changed the name (once I found the picture, the name just didn't seem to fit anymore), and slightly edited the sheet to 1) fix a typo and 2) explicitly name Athkatla as her city of origin.

RedPhoenix

I'm going to try to use the format the others have used, sorry if I screw up!

Acantha de Rollo Obsidia Daemonblest Wei
LN Half-Elf Warlock/Cleric
Support/Control
High Stats: WIS definitely, probably INT, decent CHA

Personality: Acantha is nervous almost to the point of jittery at times, constantly paranoid of her surroundings, suspicious of anything resembling authority or an institution of light or goodness, and very prone to flattery and charm. She is very well read and it comes across when she speaks, and has both a deep horror of and irresistible compulsion towards forbidden knowledge and secrets. She will not partake in anything that might affect the sanctity of her mind, unless it is for some mystic purpose. She very much enjoys the finer things in life, although she does not expect them and can easily do without. She loves good books and quickly becomes a fangirl of her favorite characters or series.

History Sketch: Acantha was born to a well to do libertine and heavy partying family in Waterdeep. She grew up with much in the way of wealth and education, but was not spoiled so much as always forgotten with all the constant happenings at her family estate. She ended up losing herself in old books far too often for her parents's taste. She grew very interested in all forms of magic and was accepted as a student at a temple devoted to Mystara - the goddess of magic and mysteries.

She made a pact with a few other 'edgy' students who started to wear all black and obsess with hidden knowledge. They began to experiment with odd rituals, most of which were useless, although a few turned out to have minor benefits. After one such ritual however, Acantha began to hear whispers from a being of great power in a far off realm. She tried to shut them out, but the offers of rewards were too much to ignore and she began to do the bidding of the unholy creature. This required her to travel throughout the area, getting into all sorts of shenanigans that a noble daughter should not be getting into, and no she'd rather not talk about it. As a result she was kicked out of the Temple once they discovered what she had gotten up to with the knowledge they had so graciously let her learn.

Eventually she was able to shake the influence of the beast for long enough to realize she had gone far too deep. Unfortunately this was just as the tentacles were about to - you know I said she didn't want to talk about it. In any case the resulting fiasco got her kicked out of her cult. But at least angering her unholy patron would not come with any consequences such as being tossed into the demiplane of dread or anything like that.

She now lives a somewhat precarious life, praying to Mystara to grant her the knowledge she desires just enough so that her wicked patron won't notice or withdraw the little favors it gave her, and attempting to placate it through ways that won't offend Mystara too badly. She spends a lot of time sure that she is about to be arrested and hung as a witch, or murdered by her former cult. But she still wears all black. Because that's awesome!

Having hitched a ride with a group of gypsies back to Waterdeep, she is hoping that she will be able to connive her way back into the Temple, and maybe now be interesting enough that she can get some attention at her parents's parties!

Concept: So I'm hoping that the idea of a sort of recovering darkness addict might fit in well with the idea of terror and horror in a land ruled by a vampire. I only really know 2e Ravenloft so I'm not sure how much 5e changed it but I have to imagine the concept is the same? She's one who will be very afraid of the dark because she knows what goes bump in it, but actually more familiar with it and perhaps not so freaked out when the boogieman finally jumps out. Juggling her attempts to go the straight and narrow as a knowledge cleric (or maybe arcana) while attempting to avoid the manipulations of her patron (i'm thinking if we can twist an Undying Patron into the plot that would be awesome, but if not probably Great Old One) could be a fun little storyline for her that shouldn't interfere with the main story too much and hopefully complement it.

Hopes and Expectations: I enjoy rollplaying in 5e, I love the streamlined nature of the system and how easy it all is. I also enjoy roleplaying but I like it to be grounded in the rules in a system game. I enjoy social interactions as well as combat encounters. I'm not so huge on puzzles and such as I find they are usually awkward on forums. Posting twice a week should be easy enough, this week is one of the most brutal of the year for me so I should normally be a lot better. As far as sexy times goes, Acantha is deliberately a character that could do well with them but can also do just fine without it, which sort of summarizes how I feel too. I like them when they're appropriate for the game and the plot (i.e. seduction or distraction or even blowing off steam after a victory), I get hesitant to stick around when it just sort of happens for no reason.

Sye

I just caved under pressure >< I think I will just watch this forum game come to light and when you start another group I will join that.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Florence on May 16, 2018, 06:48:45 PM
For what it's worth, Roleplay Frog suggested that they might do a game of this too, based on all the interest it got here.

But not today, and not tomorrow. Only if I do find the time and mood and more important than that, the right feeling.
DO NOT take this as me being willing to take anyone myself, but if this campaign has a lot of interesting character backrounds, so much so that wasting them would be a shame, I might be motivated.

Also, playing with the thought of giving things a different lore spin, there is an interesting alternate version using MTG lore too..

QuoteHello RedPhoenix!  So far, I'm content with how the characters have been pitched.  Now that I think about it, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to know what the player's hopes for the game is and what they'd like to get out of it - it would certainly help me figure out if I can actually provide for those expectations!

Everyone copied the frogs base layout! Copytoads, I tell you! All Copytoads.

I hope to see a more serious basic game that tests and helps develope my character, but is not afraid to intermingle that seriousness with a slightly lewder tone and accomondating opportunities. I'd be disappointed, seeing Stahd show any hint of mercy or goodness, beyond a superficial act or politics, but nothing speaks against making him and by extension his creatures and the land more depraved and frustrated with a lack of spoilers here booty.

In my ideal campaign, you'd be happy if you win because it allows your character to thrive, not that unhappy if you lost, because lewds are likely to happen.

Finally, I'd hope for a DM that rubs their hands with glee when reading a fitting backstory, looking forward to use the characters pasts against and for them at the same time, allowing the characters to face and overcome dark challenges(and seductions!) custom-tailored to their specific personality. The beauty of gothic settings is that they give monsters more personality than 'Evil xp bag that tries to motivate your hp towards zero', but monsters can be far more characterized, tortured.. and after the pcs in a way that both lends itself to erotic rp AND to an increase in the hauntedly horror themes I associate with Ravenloft.

I also hope for longevity and frequency in the campaign.. both IC and OOC, Curse of Strahd is not an adventure you finish in a week or two, and while the mists can easily re-recruit characters, I hope that for active players there's other options than dying on a nat-1 slipup happening.. even if those options are darker paths (tm). Oh, also, quality over quantity, I'd rather see a tight-knit group working through this than things falling apart, even if that means myself not joining.

Tl/DR: Charbuilding and vampire bewbs plz? :P

Revelation

For what I like in a game, i'm not terribly picky. Some good action, some fun encounters and climactic scenes, and maybe some lewd here and there. I'd like to think this is a bit gothic horror, but with heroes who can and do fight back against the darkness even if it's not easy. I'm a pretty go with the flow sorta person, and am usually happy for most things. Just as long as it's not like - lady characters get all the action while guys are off on the sidelines or something, i'll be happy as far as adult stuff goes.

tobisquestion

I will flesh these out a bit more later (need to head to work right now!!), but here's what I've got for a start. I don't know if the same applies for everyone, but I'm only looking to play one of these two characters ideally.

Detlef Slatesworn
LG Human Halberdier Fighter with acolyte background
Defensive combat
High Stats: Strength and constitution, low intelligence

Personality:  Optimistic and driven, Detlef believes in the inherent goodness of humans specifically and other sentient races generally. He would sooner die than let harm come to any person of faith (even faiths other than his own) and he sees goodness more in the actions of ordinary people than in those of the priesthood.

History Sketch: Detlef was born into a fairly well-to-do family, who had hoped that their eldest son would do them proud by entering the priesthood. Unfortunately, Detlef proved himself 'unreceptive' to the words of god, despite his best efforts and intentions. For years he carried out mundane liturgical duties, such as altar service and ushering at the temple.

During a time of trouble, Detlef was one of those selected to guard the temple from looters and hostile elements. In this, to everyone's surprise, he excelled. Detlef was encouraged to develop this particular aspect of his 'ministry', and trained hard, eventually being placed in the caravan guard of an important cleric during a long southbound journey.

His priest insisted that this new vocation was god's will, and sent Detlef on many more escort missions for friends of the faith. Unknown to Detlef, the priest was making considerable coin off the back of his talents. When Detlef found out about this, he was disillusioned with the pastorship of the priest, but not with the faith. He left the temple to pursue his new 'vocation' alone, putting an emphasis on defending the ordinary people of fervent belief, especially those who take up arms against evil and oppressors.

Tabitha Fallowfield
CN Lightfoot Halfling Warlock hermit
Utility/stealth
High Stats: Charisma & Constitution, low strength

Personality: Quiet, unflappable and frankly a little odd, Tabitha conforms to almost none of the halfling stereotypes...except perhaps in terms of her curiosity. She almost never expresses fear or anything much in the way of emotion, her thoughts always being angled towards her patron in the outer realms. When the need for action comes, however, she is calm and calculated and utterly pragmatic. She makes extensive use of her Unseen Servant while at rest, and overcomes her foes with Dissonant Whispers and Poison Spray.

History Sketch: At the age of six, Tabitha and a group of friends were exploring some rocky outcrops when they discovered a cave. Inside that cave were some old parchments. The writing had long faded on them, but Tabitha became fascinated. Her bored friends left her to pore over the documents.

In the following days and weeks, Tabitha returned to the cave to try to solve the mystery of the old parchments. Her parents tried to forbid her, so she began sneaking off. One time, when she failed to return, a search party was sent but no sign of the cave was found.

Tabitha spent the next eighteen years in solitude, pondering the cave, the scroll and meditating on their meaning. She detected that they originated with an ancient being, and she practiced reaching out with her mind's ear to what she believed was a being of great power somewhere in the Far Realm. Tabitha does not believe the being speaks to her, cares for her or even knows she exists. But she does believe that she can reach out, expanding her awareness and growing the power which comes with this awareness.

Recently, she ended her time of seclusion, believe the moment had come for her to find other relics such as the cave which has been her home since childhood.

Bibliophilia

Kinsey Mallowsweet

CG Tiefling Bard (Glamour) Entertainer/Charlatan
Support and Morale Boost
High Stats: Charisma, Dexterity & Intelligence
Sheet: Mythweavers

Personality:  Kinsey finds endless wonder in the world around her and the people and creatures that inhabit it, and she has no shame in expressing that wonder without artifice.  This is not to say she is incapable of artifice, of course, as she has a mischievous nature and loves to play tricks on people, finding her puckish pranks to be wildly amusing, even if her target doesn't always agree.  Still, it's rare when someone is able to remain angry with her, as her tricks are never deliberately harmful and she has a winsome charm capable of softening even the hardest of hearts.  Her affectionate, warm nature leaves her with little concern for such things as 'personal space' and unless asked, she tends to be very touchy-feely, holding hands, hugging and cuddling with anyone who will allow it.  Often impetuous, vain, flighty and too eager for her own good, she certainly makes any adventure more exciting and unpredictable.

History:  Kinsey was born from the pairing of a Tiefling and a human, a happy couple who lived deep in a wild wood to avoid the prejudices their union often brought about in people.  Her mother and father were both skilled artisans, and every so often her father would take the beautiful crafts that they made to the nearest city to sell and trade for whatever goods they could not provide for themselves.  Her mother, a raven-haired, statuesque Tiefling made delicate, colorful glasswork trinkets and her father, a blond, bearded human of short, squat stature was a master woodworker and carpenter.

Kinsey had a happy childhood, showing a proficiency for music at a young age, which her parents encouraged by creating instruments for her.  Her father carved her first lyre from a rosewood tree and her mother taught her to dance, but neither of her parents could teach her as much as the fey creatures that shared their wood.  The small child's spirit and love of music made her welcome among the satyr, dryad and nymphs - as well as even odder fey beings - that lived and frolicked in the wood.  It was from them, as she grew older, that she began to learn magic, despite her parents misgivings.

And, as they'd feared, when she was seventeen, she expressed her desire to leave the wood that she called home and travel out into the world to explore and meet others.  Her parents argued, cajoled, warned and even tried to forbid her from leaving, but it was all to no avail.  Not long after her eighteenth birthday, Kinsey hugged them goodbye, packed the new lyre her father had carved for her birthday into her pack and set out on a grand and glorious adventure.

Since then, she has discovered just how ill-prepared she was for the wide world, having grown up isolated from others and largely unaware of the bigotry and suspicion her kind face.  Still, she found that, even that could often be overcome by her relentlessly positive and caring nature, or, barring that, a rousing song or engrossing tale.  As a result, many doors that were barred for other Tiefling were open to her, and - she hoped - by meeting and accepting her, that the hearts and opinions of those who were otherwise closed to her race would be altered...if only slightly.

When she was twenty, she met and fell madly in love with a human named Harlan.  He was dashing, clever and wildly handsome - which served him well in his profession as a con-artist and thief.  The pair were inseparable for nearly eight months, when Kinsey discovered she was pregnant.  She was thrilled and fully expected Harlan to be just as excited over the matter, explaining that the two of them could return to her parent's home in the woods, so that he could meet them before they were wed.  She was bursting with plans for them to build another cottage near her parents and raise their child as she had been raised, but Harlan was not nearly as pleased by the news as she was.  In fact, she woke the morning after telling him to find he had left in the night and taken all of their gold with him.

Distraught, all Kinsey could bring herself to do was make her way home and take whatever comfort she could find in her parent's love.  After she gave birth, she found herself unable to bring herself to so much as hold her child, too broken-hearted by the loss of Harlan.  For weeks she languished, tormented by the child's cries and her parent's admonishments to behave as a proper mother, to open her heart to her baby boy.  Finally, unable to endure it any longer, in an act of selfishness, she packed her things in secret and fled her childhood home in the middle of the night, pausing only briefly to clip a bit of the baby's hair to take with her.

Since then, she has been traveling, caught between her desire to return home and see her child, and her shame over the manner in which she ran away from her responsibilities.  So, she does what she can to make the world a brighter, kinder, better place and waits for the day when she will feel worthy enough to return home and face the consequences of her childish actions.

Concept:  Kinsey is a free spirit, loving and kind, with an impish nature and a secret that she keeps very close to her heart.  I think having someone more light-hearted and of a sunny disposition will provide an interesting contrast to the story's themes.  It will also be interesting to play someone like her having to deal with the sort of things that might come up in a darker storyline.

Hopes & Expectations:  I'd love a game that goes for a good while, and gives us a chance to really explore our characters, the setting and the story.  Aside from that, I don't really need much.

nomadsoul

Awesomeness!  Thank you for your contribution Bibliophilia!

Quote from: Saika on May 16, 2018, 11:21:20 PM
I just caved under pressure >< I think I will just watch this forum game come to light and when you start another group I will join that.
No need to feel pressured though; certainly, there's time until Sunday ;D

Bibliophilia

Kinsey is complete, aside from her spells!

tobisquestion

Let me know if there's any important omissions from my character sheet. I see other people have used a certain template but I wasn't sure if that was mandatory! I can embellish mine if needed.

Lyku

Name: Raffias Lorde
Race: Human
Class: Wizard (War Magic)
Alignment: Questionable (Lawful Neutral)
Background: Noble

Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1587701

Kathyan

Came up with a couple of ideas myself too ^^

Hakira Rethscale
CG Dragonborn female
Charlatan Bard, College of Swords
False Identity: Nhimsi Darkrit
Tiefling female fighter

Desired role: Melee combatant, face, stealth, support
High stats: Str, Cha. Low stats: Int?

Personality: As a young adventurer Hakira has still lots to live and see, and she wants to see it all. Quite lively and naive as well never will she allow anyone to tell her where to go or what to do although she does a soft spot for pretty faces which is what usually moves in one or another direction. Still it is more likely that she ends up taking advantage of them but she will usually do something in return as she holds a desire to make of the world a better place. Of course she has some dark thoughts in her mind as well but she can't let those go out, or can she?... Well that would be how Nhimsi would behave not Hakira.

Backstory: With no clear destination but decided to make something out of herself by her own she abandoned the nest, as she affectionately called home, leaving behind a couple of parents who knew they could stop her but who were proud of who she was already. Daughter of a human merchant and half dragon warrior she grew up hearing her father haggle with a wide array of people but also listening to the stories in the marketplace which was what encouraged her to become an adventurer, traveling wizards, pious clerics, powerful warriors, towering half orcs and short gnomes, everyone had an interesting tale for her and everyone had a lesson to share as well and so it was like that that Hakira had many more teacher than one could ever count.

But that would not be enough to her scaled mother who decided to give Hakira some proper training with the sword, not that she would listen to her so knowing her passion for stories she wrote every lesson she wanted to give to Hakira in heroic tales she would read and learn from even if she wasn't by her side, something she had foreseen and made no mistake about.

Wandering now the lands she tries to make hers an heroic tale too, although there is always some time to spare on a tavern for Hakira to wave her hips to the tune of a cheery song, or for Nhimsi to share a few drinks with jolly fellows. And by the end of night it is very likely that she will end up with more gold than she came with, or either with more troubles or in some sort of compromising situation but nothing she can not manage on her or at least it has been so far.

Cherise 'Cherry' Wulfur
TN Human female
Bounty Hunter Ranger, Beast Master
Animal companion: Wolf; Magic Initiate feat, find familiar: Bat
Desired roles: stealth, sniper, tracker
High stats: Dex, Wis. Low stats: Str

Personality: Cold, scary and distant at first one will get a big surprise when coming closer to the scanty clad wild human as she is in fact quite the opposite, warm, friendly and a little too forward in her approach for some people Cherise is someone would definitively get to cherish. Unless you are her target of course for she takes her profession as a bounty hunter rather seriously and will go any length to get her quarry.

Backstory: Being born in the middle of spring when cherries were starting to blossom the cute blonde baby that was born in the middle of the forest was named after the red fruit, but that would be as cute as thing would get. Cherise comes from a small nomad tribe that lives in the woods and tame wolves, as such she never had any good manners or delicacy in her ways behaving roughly since she was young as she played around and rolled over with wolf cubs.

When she grew up she learned how to survive on her own in the woods how to avoid natural hazards and how to hunt and not only for survival but for a living too and soon for revenge as well. It would be when on her trial test to be considered a woman that she left the safety of the camp in the look for a wild wolf she could defeat without either of the being killed, she was to tame the beast before being able to return or never to return. It was something that took her more than a single day but at the end she succeeded thanks to her training, but she wasn't prepared for what followed.

As she was making her way back she noticed a foreign trail and rushing to the camp she found nothing but death and destruction, every single person and animal had been killed and it had been done days ago. Howling in anger and sorrow she swore she would get her revenge.

Traveling into the nearest town she discovered that fearing the great amount of wolves her tribe had the mayor had organized a group or armed soldiers to end this supposed menace. Fire boiled inside of her that very instant and she began her revenge by tracked and hunted down the mayor that very same night, taking her time then to go after each and every one of the soldiers that had participated in the massacre over the span of the next months. Her revenge was finally complete but she had nowhere to return now so she began wonder the lands doing any job that was offered to her.

Roleplay Frog

Cherise 'Cherry' Wulfur

*pulls out microphone*  So, cherry, what's your opinion on wolfes?

Lyku

Since Mordekainen's came out today for those who preordered, is the material in there permitted?

Chulanowa

In order of preference...

#1 concept:
Jhessail Amblecrown
CG Female Protector Aasimar Swashbuckler (Tymora)
High stats: Pretty well-rounded; Not the best in Strength.
Roles: Snappy comebacks, steamy kisses, derring-do, skillmonkey, and absurd damage output.
Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1589591

Personality: Jhessail ("Jessa") likes to present herself as a typical cocky bravo, hard all the way through. She scoffs, rolls her eyes, and enjoys sarcasm. This is a veneer; on the inside, and not very far below the surface at that, she's a woman with  strong sense of right and wrong.This is an ethics thing and not a legal thing though; she's happily punch a baker in the nose and steal his muffins to feed a hungry orphan, if it came up. She is a bravo though, and does enjoy fighting, if only for the chance to show herself off. She (currently) has no idea about her celestial heritage - "What, you mean you can't see in the dark? Weird!"

Background: Jessa hails from Neverwinter, where she grew up hopping from boat to barge to dinghy as part of her family's "empire' - a small fleet of crab boats owned by her father, a shipping barge owned by her uncle, and mother's curious side-business of providing romantic gondola rides along the Neverwinter river. it was only natural that she should join the family business on the water, and learned to sail, fish, tie ropes, and make herself scarce. Along the way she picked up a number of tricks and tips from the other dock rats, including a bit of swordplay. Needless to say her parents didn't approve of her shooting dice with the dockworkers (especially the boys) and did everything they could to encourage her to take a more professional course. when her brother Tomar bought his way to the head of a wagon trail plying the High Road, it was the perfect opportunity!

In fact away from the sight of her parents, among the mulekickers and lead-peddlers of the merchant caravans, she only became more like what her parents didn't approve of; especially after her first few scuffles with bandits that resulted in the ruffians being disarmed, bare-assed, and sent to the stocks. That was adventure! Jessa broke camp one morning with some like-minded adventurers headed to Waterdeep, and hasn't been back yet. Her family doesn't approve (and Tormar is especially mad since he was supposed to 'watch out for her") but the annoyed letters and sendings demanding she come home dropped off precipitously after she sent the first bag of gold home. She explains it as expanding the family business from shelling crabs to perforating rust monsters... but really she's in it for the thrill of the adventure!

#2 concept:
Melinor Markavio Morgendorffe, Master Mystical Manipulator of Muddale
LG Male Human Conjurer (Mystra)
High Stats: Intelligence & Wisdom; tougher than he looks.
Roles: Voice of reason, grandpappy advice, raw untamed cosmic power, supplies butterscotch candies.
Sheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1587883 (90% complete)

Personality: Melinor looks too old for this shit, but he doesn't act like it; Every day is, well, a new day, and there's something to learn. The fact is he knows he's not getting any younger and wants to make the most of what he has. He's a good-hearted man, and quite down-to-earth, as wizards go. A little eccentric. is very much a conjurer of cheap tricks, but also probably some that have some expensive components.

Background: Melinor's earliest memory was drowning; surrounded by water and debris, unable to tell up from down, then blackness. His next memory is a soft-faced old woman tending him in bed. She'd fished him out of the river and brought him back to her cottage to try to put some life back into him. Over the years he put the pieces together; a massive flood had swept his own village away as a boy, and carried him far downriver to the little bogside village of Muddale. And so, it was in Muddale that the orphan grew up, eventually becoming the apprentice of the town's shaky old wizard, Herminifus Hereford. When the creaky old man passed on (not exactly died, there's any number of things that can make a conjurer stop being where he is...) Melinor inherited the tower, the library, and the responsibilities; which mostly consisted of casting minor enchantments, tutoring the mayor's children, and providing fireworks for festivals. Muddale was proud to have its very own wizard, and so Melinor wanted for little, and found happiness in his life.

it was just over a year ago that Muddale came under attack, though; A trio of swamp giants and their lizardfolk servants stormed the town and laid seige to it. Melinor took the lead of defenses after the milita captain fell to a thrown tree, and his spells and guidance led the remainder of the town to victory; the giants were slain, the lizards driven back into the swamp. It wasn't without cost though; many in the town were dead, and Melinor's own tower had been demolished and burned. he took it as a sign. After doing what he could to help the town rebuild, he bid his farewells and struck out, overcome by a sudden urge to see more of the world before his own time came - and maybe even find his own family, if anyone is left.

Kathyan

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on May 18, 2018, 12:36:14 PM
*pulls out microphone*  So, cherry, what's your opinion on wolfes?
You ask the girl who was raised with and who rolls over with wolves? ^^
and who dances with wolves too :P

Well that's easy
Smarty wolves are sexy

Wild wolves are bad
but who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

Roleplay Frog

Quotebut who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

My gravedigger, propably. .. 's a very big wolf ok! Think of the size of the coffin you need for that one..

Kathyan

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on May 18, 2018, 06:45:34 PM
My gravedigger, propably. .. 's a very big wolf ok! Think of the size of the coffin you need for that one..
:o How come?

Revelation

Ana Field, failed paladin
CG Female Fighter
High Stats: Str, Con or Dex. Low: Cha or Wis
Roles: Laying on hurt.
Sheet: TBD

Personality: Ana seeks to do good, in her own way. A woman who loves a good fight, and loves winding down from one even more, she seeks to be a hand wielding a blade for those who cannot hold one themselves, and strives to be a good person... But between a reckless nature and an act first, think later policy that she tries to contain, one can see why she did not have the resolve to be a proper Paladin. In addition, she seems to have pangs of guilt over something she would rather not speak of, that only further her actions to aid others.

Background: Ana Field was a young girl when she first heard tales about brave knights facing down horrible monsters, and the idea stuck with her ever since. A tomboy at heart, she sought to replicate those daring heroics and chivalrous acts with a stick-sword in hand, and either batting at invisible dragons or pretending that the other kids were likewise heinous villains in need of proper punishment. While her parents were simple blacksmiths, they sought to encourage their daughter in any way they could, even forcing a proper (if dulled) blade for her to test her mettle with. And it just so happened that as she aged into a young woman, that zeal and desire to do good caught the eye of an elder paladin, one seeking to have a worthy apprentice and squire to train into a knight. Ana was a natural for such a spot, and with some initial reluctance from her family, she was soon off, learning the basics of how to properly fight, and how to take care of herself in the field of battle.

In fighting, she was an ace. She knew how to swing a sword, her strength surprised even the paladin, and what were first clumsy and over-reaching strikes became the paced dance of battle for her, skills she'd show her aptitude at time and time again. Her other training however did not go so well. Matters of faith did not entirely elude her, but she saw no reason as to follow such things so strictly. Her devotion laid more in her skill at arms with a blade, rather than her own inner zeal and drive. Such matters were not trivial, but the elder knight thought that such recklessness and lack of devotion could be hammered out and that the raw iron that was Ana could be forged into honed steel.

This was not to be the case. As the years went by, Ana seemed stymied by many tests sent before her, but it was one specific incident that sent things beyond the pale. The knight and his apprentice were sent to rescue towns people from goblins that had captured them - simple enough, yet Ana found more joy in the art of combat, carving her way through goblins and seeking vainglory through conquest than any proper heroics. When they finally arrived at the holding cells of the hostages, Ana found herself face to face with the Goblin Chieftan himself... And recklessly charged into an obvious ambush as hidden greenskins made their move to try and subdue the woman. The knight himself had to protect the civilians, and to even his horror, his aging body and fading skills were not enough. By the time a bloodied - gravely injured Ana had skewered the goblin chieftan, a number of innocents were dead.

The knight was furious, reprimanding her, chastising not just her but himself for wasting his years on such a reckless woman who clearly could never live up to expectations. It was a night that Ana remembers bitterly, but clearly. By the end of it, Ana and the elder knight had parted ways, though he was gracious enough to at least heal her wounds.

It's been a year since then, and while Ana still seeks to do good, some of her more reckless nature has been calmed... But she still finds herself acting without thinking in an attempt to show herself that even if some of her training was in vain, she was not going to let innocents be harmed again.

Using some art I had commissioned some time ago, been wanting to use it for a character in a D&D game and this one seems perfect for giving it a try.

nomadsoul

Quote from: Lyku on May 18, 2018, 05:50:02 PM
Since Mordekainen's came out today for those who preordered, is the material in there permitted?
Tome of Foes approved :-)

Florence

I've been trying to think on how to answer the question of what I'm hoping for from this campaign... I hope this is a decent answer, if a bit rambling, lol:

I guess I'm just hoping for a chance to explore the various characters. However the campaign goes (I'll admit to not being terribly familiar with Curse of Strahd), I'd like to explore how my character responds to it. To me that's sort of the fun of rp in general, creating characters and then seeing how they respond to whatever happens outside of your control. While certainly combat is fun, and I absolutely am looking forward to trying out 5e's monk class in action, I'm definitely more of a character and story based player myself. I prefer D&D as a means of using rules to structure a narrative that creates a fun, interactive story, as opposed to viewing it as a game to be 'beaten'.

Chulanowa

Alright, got both my concepts put up!

nomadsoul

Awesome Chula.  Since it doesn't seem we're likely to see new PCs at this point, I'll close up and start making deliberations.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: nomadsoul on May 20, 2018, 04:09:39 PM
Awesome Chula.  Since it doesn't seem we're likely to see new PCs at this point, I'll close up and start making deliberations.

Dart board with characters plastered on it. Nono. Name-lottery! .. write the names on a variety of treats, see which one your pet eats first.

No wait, I got it, play a round of Magic the gathering for each character, building theme-fitting decks. I demand mine incorporate both rest in peace and gravedigger and still work.

nomadsoul

Okay, so I've settled upon six (after being advised about the potential for dropouts), which leaves the victims chosen of Strahd to be:

Bibliophilia - Kinsey Mallowsweet
Changingsaint - Anton Petrovna
Chulanowa - Melinor Markavio Morgendorffe
Kathyan - Cherise 'Cherry' Wulfur
RedPhoenix - Acantha de Rollo Obsidia Daemonblest Wei
Roleplay Frog - Alexander Gravenholme

I'd like to thank everyone else for the submissions and know that it was a hard choice in several instances.  Of course, it will always be possible (in the instance of drop offs) that I might get in touch, since its fairly easy for people to find their way into the setting, given the story.  I wish you all a great day, and perhaps our paths will cross again! :-)

For the chosen, please head off to the OOC thread and post up thy characters. ;D

Zaer Darkwail

Damn, well good luck everyone and have fun :)