Valar Morghulis (ASoIaF) - Interest check

Started by The Dark Raven, May 18, 2015, 06:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dark Raven

Quote from: RedEve on May 30, 2015, 03:18:40 AM
Wildlings were around and known of long before Jon Snow.
Brothers of the Nights Watch frequently encountered groups of them on rangings beyond the Wall.
Some of them would even occasionally scale the wall and travel around the North for a bit.
e.g. Mance Rayder.

That being said, Dothraki and wildlings are not the subject of this intended storyline.  There are simply too many possibilities in the noble families of Westeros (and no known Dothraki or wildlings attended the events set for this roleplay) that I feel it would detract from the story rather than enhance it.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

GnothiSeauton

Obviously not the GM here (and please don't bother to bitch slap me if I'm out of line, DR), but I think it would be much easier and advantageous for characters to be at least nobility, or at least something above a commoner or the like.

From a story standpoint, it's the largest Tourney in quite some time, with lords and knights and ladies from all over the Realm coming to participate and witness it.  Even the King is going to be there (or not...  Can never tell with that crazy son of a bitch).  With most people taking lord and ladies characters, bastards and legitimate, I think that it makes more sense to do a character that would be more likely to be around them, than say a commoner.  Can't have the peasants mingling with the King and Prince and their posse. 

Wildlings...  Dothraki...  Commoners...  From my own perspective, it seems like it could be so difficult to get them involved and interacting with characters that are most likely (and realistically) be separated from them.  Unless you're doing like a thrall to an Iron Islander, or a paramour to a Lord (or Lady), or a servant, I think it might be a bit difficult to get involved.

Just my two cents...
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

The Dark Raven

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on May 31, 2015, 12:57:45 AM
Obviously not the GM here (and please don't bother to bitch slap me if I'm out of line, DR), but I think it would be much easier and advantageous for characters to be at least nobility, or at least something above a commoner or the like.

From a story standpoint, it's the largest Tourney in quite some time, with lords and knights and ladies from all over the Realm coming to participate and witness it.  Even the King is going to be there (or not...  Can never tell with that crazy son of a bitch).  With most people taking lord and ladies characters, bastards and legitimate, I think that it makes more sense to do a character that would be more likely to be around them, than say a commoner.  Can't have the peasants mingling with the King and Prince and their posse. 

Wildlings...  Dothraki...  Commoners...  From my own perspective, it seems like it could be so difficult to get them involved and interacting with characters that are most likely (and realistically) be separated from them.  Unless you're doing like a thrall to an Iron Islander, or a paramour to a Lord (or Lady), or a servant, I think it might be a bit difficult to get involved.

Just my two cents...

H/T to my resident lore guru.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: The Dark Raven on May 31, 2015, 09:18:20 AM
H/T to my resident lore guru.  Couldn't have said it better myself.

*inserts Maester's Chain Link on ASoIaF Lore joke here*
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

The Dark Raven

Aiden

Let's imagine E inspired Maester's chain links!

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Aiden on May 31, 2015, 11:18:43 AM
Let's imagine E inspired Maester's chain links!

That could both interesting and frightening.

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

Some potentially bad ass ideas for those who might be interested, but having trouble coming up with something...  (Unofficial of course, and please don't hesitate to slap me, Raven, if I'm out of line...)

• A Member of the Night's Watch:  This is supposedly when Benjen Stark decided he would join the Watch, and did after the Rebellion.
  • A Merchant Prince/Princess from Essos:  Could be a Banker from the Iron Bank of Braavos, could be a rich and powerful merchant looking to see what they could get out of supporting Rhaegar...
  • Kingsguard:  Some of the best knights in all the Realm...  Speaking of which...
  • Ser Arthur Dayne:  The Sword of the fuckin' Morning.  Arguably one of the best knights in all the Realm, a legend with a legendary sword.
  • A Faceless Man:  The largest gathering of all the richest and powerful lords and ladies in all the realm might be a perfect chance for a Faceless Man or two.

Seeking New Stories

The Dark Raven

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on June 03, 2015, 03:49:27 PM
Some potentially bad ass ideas for those who might be interested, but having trouble coming up with something...  (Unofficial of course, and please don't hesitate to slap me, Raven, if I'm out of line...)

• A Member of the Night's Watch:  This is supposedly when Benjen Stark decided he would join the Watch, and did after the Rebellion.
  • A Merchant Prince/Princess from Essos:  Could be a Banker from the Iron Bank of Braavos, could be a rich and powerful merchant looking to see what they could get out of supporting Rhaegar...
  • Kingsguard:  Some of the best knights in all the Realm...  Speaking of which...
  • Ser Arthur Dayne:  The Sword of the fuckin' Morning.  Arguably one of the best knights in all the Realm, a legend with a legendary sword.
  • A Faceless Man:  The largest gathering of all the richest and powerful lords and ladies in all the realm might be a perfect chance for a Faceless Man or two.

Adding:  Ser Barristan Selmy

Heartsink

>Elia Martell
>Brandon Stark
>Walter Whent (host of the tourney)
>Jon Arryn
>Jon Connington
>Howland Reed

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Heartsink on June 03, 2015, 06:35:28 PM
>Elia Martell
>Brandon Stark
>Jon Arryn
>Jon Connington
>Howland Reed

Elia Martell is claimed by Emjay, just waiting on a sheet. :)

Heartsink

Quote from: The Dark Raven on June 03, 2015, 06:38:37 PM
Elia Martell is claimed by Emjay, just waiting on a sheet. :)

Ah that's great :D

ererruz

I'm thinking of joining as Jon Connington as, I think, he is the only confirmed homosexual character at the tourney. Although, the question is, do we have any M/M writers here?

The Dark Raven

Quote from: ererruz on June 04, 2015, 02:23:26 AM
I'm thinking of joining as Jon Connington as, I think, he is the only confirmed homosexual character at the tourney. Although, the question is, do we have any M/M writers here?

As Jon Connington is the only confirmed homosexual in this timeline, you might have trouble finding a M/M writer.  There is Oberyn Martell, though he is bi.  You would need to check with Heartsink.

Heartsink

Quote from: The Dark Raven on June 04, 2015, 10:09:08 AM
As Jon Connington is the only confirmed homosexual in this timeline, you might have trouble finding a M/M writer.  There is Oberyn Martell, though he is bi.  You would need to check with Heartsink.

I can do M/M :-) But Jon's probable love for Rhaegar also includes his disdain for Elia. Oberyn doesn't treat nicely those who dislike or mistreat his sister, though. Would be interesting nevertheless ;)

cabalxxvi

Hello, and I am really interested in this game, and just have a question while I read, which may be answered here. I am staking a claim on Jon Snow if he hasn't been taken already.
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

cabalxxvi

Scratch that, nevermind. Found the answer I was looking for.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: cabalxxvi on June 04, 2015, 04:38:21 PM
Scratch that, nevermind. Found the answer I was looking for.

If you need help thinking of an alternative, I'd be more than happy to help.

Seeking New Stories

cabalxxvi

I am a game of thrones Fanatic and will find me someone from the age soon, but I would take suggestions for sure. :D

Heartsink

Quote from: Heartsink on June 03, 2015, 06:35:28 PM
>Elia Martell
>Brandon Stark
>Jon Arryn
>Jon Connington
>Howland Reed

cabalxxvi ;)

GnothiSeauton

Some random ideas.  Mostly noncanon ideas except for a few.

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on June 03, 2015, 03:49:27 PM

Seeking New Stories

The Dark Raven

cabalxxvi

Alright, then claim on Benjen Stark, and I'll get to work on the character sheet now.

cabalxxvi

Scratch that again. I am still reading a few characters, and their history. Sorry.

cabalxxvi

Okay for real this time, Brandon Stark is more my style of play. So I will take him, and should have my sheet up within the weekend. I won't change my mind again. This time is it for reel.  :o