Celestian Tales (kickstarter)

Started by godfang, July 09, 2013, 07:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

godfang

Hi guys, me and my friends are making a video game for the PC. If you're interested, please check out our KS page :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ekuatorgames/celestian-tales-old-north

Inkidu

I try not to buy into things that are obviously being sold on nostalgia, I'm fairly weak to it enough as it is. While I'm a sucker for good narrative, this is basically saying to me you can't have good narrative without menu-based combat and JRPG tropes. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

godfang

Ahaha, yeah i can't deny that the Nostalgia is intentional. What i can tell you however is that in no way do we conform to JRPG tropes. If anything it's kinda closer to western fantasy in terms of writing.  What we realize is that people who played the games that we played as kids are now older and would enjoy a more mature, less cliched/predictable storylines.

But i do agree with you that there's plenty of rpgs sold on nostalgia nowadays

Chris Brady

I'm liking the art style, but...  The issue I have with Kickstarter for video games is that they've been rather unsuccessful to date.  Even DoubleFine who managed to nail 8x their initial budget, have run out of cash, are late with their product, and have managed to finish only HALF the game.  I'd rather buy a finished product.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

godfang

@Chris brady: I knooow, doublefine is horrible. We actually took a dig at them abit when we said that our stretch fund won't be used to make the game bigger. Anyways, i'll let you know when we're in steam :)

Chris Brady

And please, make the artbook a separate purchasable?  I would love to have some of that in my hands at one point.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

godfang

since many people seem to be interested in the artbook, we will try and work something out after the release. We will keep you updated once the game is out. :)

Chris Brady

And Godfang, I want to stress that I don't doubt your ability to make the product.  But DoubleFine is still a good example, among others.  Most people have a basic idea as to what they believe the demand will be, but sometimes, if you get a lot of people, suddenly the demand ramps up several hundreds of times, and although the company in question could have the infrastructure in place for a couple 10's of thousands of copies, they suddenly have to redesign their outlet chain, their manufacturing chain (if they have a physical product) and then there are the unforeseen.  Printing issues, shipping issues, artists (both in this case Video and Physical Media) unable to make it on time.  And other general delays.

It's nice if the devs (and they SHOULD) keep you apprised on any snafus or other things, but it doesn't change the fact that there's a lot that could happen that could delay, or even halt a project.  I'm not much of a gambler, I'd rather pay for a 'sure thing' than a 'good chance'.

So here's hoping you get your funds and you get your game out on time!  Good luck!

Shjade

The concept/title art makes me think Suikoden, particularly 3. I can think of worse inspirational sources.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

godfang

@Sjhade:Suikoden is a big inspiration in terms of art style and, to an extent, story style, but the gameplay will be quite different and the storyline will be much grittier :). 

On that note, Suikoden 3 is actually my favourite Suikoden (most will pick 2) because of the castle building chapter.

Inkidu

Quote from: godfang on July 10, 2013, 02:53:21 PM

@Sjhade:Suikoden is a big inspiration in terms of art style and, to an extent, story style, but the gameplay will be quite different and the storyline will be much grittier :). 

On that note, Suikoden 3 is actually my favourite Suikoden (most will pick 2) because of the castle building chapter.
I don't know about grittier, one of those screenshots looked to be a green jellybeans. :\
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kazyth

Quote from: godfang on July 10, 2013, 02:53:21 PM

Hell yeah.  Love this series to death, and 3 was my favorite as well.  I was all about castle building, turned all my focus to that for as long as I could before I had to progress with the story again.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Shjade

I've never actually played a Suikoden game. I just read the Suikoden 3 manga.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

godfang

Updated with new artwork and evolved graphics!