Interest Check: Shadowrun - The Awakening (D20 Modern)

Started by Ravenhawk, October 31, 2013, 01:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravenhawk

I've been reading Shadowrun novels off and on for nearly as long as the game has been published, and now we are approaching the 2nd anniversary of the event that was supposed to be the birth of the 6th age. Well, it hasn't happened... but what if it had?

This is an interest check to see if anyone would be interested in a D20 game occurring now, at the dawn of the Awakening. The preconditions needed for Shadowrun haven't quite arrived yet, but glimmers exist that indicate we're almost there techwise. True cybernetics/biotech does not exist yet, except possibly in the blackest of black clinics. Magic is just beginning to be understood, but rumors of ancient religions/cults suddenly having power abound. Riggers don't plug into their machines yet, and hackers still use monitors and keyboards, maybe VR gear to  do their magic, but systems are not designed with imersive interfaces in mind. And the world is still coming to grip with the births of elves and dwarves, as well as the goblinization of teens and adults into orcs and trolls. The international laws enabling the birth of the mega-corps have not been written yet, but many corporations are working towards that goal.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... DRAGONS ARE OUT THERE!!!

Who would be interested in such a setting?

Orange Marmalade

I am a big fan of Shadowrun.

So you'd be running it with the D20 system? Is that more for character creation or would you also be running skills and everything else as system based?

Ravenhawk

Running it as D20, mainly because I'm more familiar with it than I am with SR's system. Also because we are NOT at the point of time where most of the Shadowrun engine can be used (after all, 1st edition is still 37 years away). D20 already has an engine set up for this, with only the GM needing to post limits as to source books. Whereas with SR, we'd have to rewrite a bunch of stuff. The setting is basically low magic except for what the dragons and other critters that had been in hibernation brought with them.

Another reason is the base rules are free. Anyone can use the online D20 Modern SRD. I don't think Shadowrun is available like that.

Jr

I wouldn't mind taking part in this. Have you considered starting level? I prefer to start low.

Ravenhawk

I'm thinking 4th, that way everyone can have a level of an advanced class if they want it.

Kuje

I could get into this, it's been awhile since I've read the Shadowrun novels, years actually or even looked at my 2nd or 3rd edition Shadowrun stuff. Still, I'd love to make up a runner and get involved. :)

MasterOfMyFate

I am interested, but the only things I know about D20 system and Shadowrun are what Internet Critic Spoonyone has enlighten me on. If anyone is willing to help me understand and learn, then you got another player.
"Arrows through your heart."
Master ON/OFF

Ixy

I know very little about Shadowrun, which I hope wouldn't be too much of a hindrance... especially if you're starting this early in the setting's development.  I like everything I've read/heard about it, and depending on the group and mechanics of the game, I may ask to be considered for the game.  I think it'd be a good premise for a game.

Ravenhawk

Quote from: Kuje on November 01, 2013, 09:48:17 PM
I could get into this, it's been awhile since I've read the Shadowrun novels, years actually or even looked at my 2nd or 3rd edition Shadowrun stuff. Still, I'd love to make up a runner and get involved. :)

I'm not even sure they would be called "Runners" yet. Not sure when in the setting the term came to be used, but I had the feeling it came about shortly after the formation of the first megacorps.

I posted a link to the html version of the core SRD for D20 Modern in an earlier post, and you can find the complete SRD on WOTC's website for download as RTF's. 

What I'm thinking of is something like a cross between A-Team and Leverage, with magic and supernatural creatures starting to appear. Elf and dwarf chars would not be allowed due to they just started appearing in the past couple of years as newborns, but trolls and orcs are possible since they were adolescents or older who changed. Magic is still very much an unknown, but physical adepts may be possible due to the inborn nature of their magic. I'll have to look into that. Both will be low level though.

We have four who've expressed interest now. Are you indeed interested?

Kuje

Quote from: Ravenhawk on November 06, 2013, 06:15:15 AM
I'm not even sure they would be called "Runners" yet. Not sure when in the setting the term came to be used, but I had the feeling it came about shortly after the formation of the first megacorps.

I posted a link to the html version of the core SRD for D20 Modern in an earlier post, and you can find the complete SRD on WOTC's website for download as RTF's. 

What I'm thinking of is something like a cross between A-Team and Leverage, with magic and supernatural creatures starting to appear. Elf and dwarf chars would not be allowed due to they just started appearing in the past couple of years as newborns, but trolls and orcs are possible since they were adolescents or older who changed. Magic is still very much an unknown, but physical adepts may be possible due to the inborn nature of their magic. I'll have to look into that. Both will be low level though.

We have four who've expressed interest now. Are you indeed interested?

Oh, I was only using runner as a general term. :) I realize that in game it wouldn't probably be used yet.

If you do have the room, I would be interested. I looked over the Modern rules, and I think I have a copy of the core book when it first was published, somewhere. Even so, you posted the link so that works.

Jr

So, is this still happening? I haven't seen any posts in a while.