News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Last Airbender sucked

Started by Dunnuck, July 01, 2010, 01:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunnuck

Wolfy

Hmm..I'm curious as to how you know, as it's not out yet.

Brandon

Sometimes movie theatres do private screenngs with the staff and their family. I know the manager of one so at times, I get to see them before theyre officially released. I saw District 9, Splice, and Shutter island in private screenings  ;D

That aside, Im more interested to know why you think it sucked
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Starlequin

You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Dunnuck

Um...its out today. 12am release...ya know. And I will put here what I put on facebook.

The Last Airbender: 4/10 TLA suffers from a terrible script and extreme pacing issues. With the makings of an epic, like amazing sets and good score, the delivery causes it to suck dramatically. The movie is too short for the content, and the characters are hollow. While most scenes would work good with build up, the lack there of makes it comedic. Scenes are too short and explinations are few. There are few redeeming qualities, and even moving into the fiom with optimism, no amount can overpower the points in which the film falls short. It is more of a quick live action over view of the series than anything. ... See MoreDont get me wrong, it couod of been amazing. Artisticly stunning sets, ok actors, solid atmosphere and epic music are all present. Just script and pacing. Sent the movie spiraling down, the film never really picking up. It also suffers from misplaced scenes taken from the show, some that are supposed to be in season THREE. Not ONE. Positive things to say: Uncle Iroh's character is amazing and on spot. Sets are mimd boggling. Bending is excellent.

More Negative: Romance goes far too quick, as bad as the original twilight film. Sozin's Comet is NEVER mentioned and the reason the Fire Nation fears the Avatar is a completely different reason than in the original plot. The movie could of been SO MUCH MORE. Negative: The moves for bending are inconsistent and over exaggerated. Simple moves require an entire interperative dance while something far more dangerous, big, and eoic can be done in one movement. They also needed COOLER bending.

Dunnuck

Allow me to also mention that, while the SFX were good, they were not INTEGRATED well.

HairyHeretic

So they tried to compress, what, three seasons of show into a single movie?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Brandon

Sounds like it Hairy, remember they tried doing that with the second mortal kombat movie as well and look how badly that fell (espcially with the wonderful first part that was spot on and IMO the first good video game movie).

Well it sounds like you have your reasons which at first glance seem like a solid opinion. Ive never been a big avatar fan and only seen the first season so maybe thats what gets in the way of enjoying it. *shrugs* Ill reserve judgement for later this week, although Ill probably be paying more attention to the girl Im taking then the movie :P
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Cherry Bloodrayne

I already saw this coming. I personally have had no interest in the animated series either. I will watch it before giving my comments though for sure.

Jag

M. Night Shyamalan screw up a movie? Real shocker...:P

Even working from set material, he still can't do it? *sighs*
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Dunnuck

No, he doesnt try to compress three seasons. He tries to compress the first. Into an hour and a half. And even looking from the viewpoint of someone who is NOT a fan, it is obviously bad. Its just put together bad

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 01, 2010, 02:46:46 AM
So they tried to compress, what, three seasons of show into a single movie?
I thought Avatar: The Last Airbender was far more than three seasons?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LIAR

Only three.

Going to go watch it anyway.

Aiden

I saw it, I did not think it was to bad. The acting was kinda "meh" but the effects were awesome.

Dunnuck

The effects cant make up for the abysmal script and terrible pace of the movie. The movie had a story of a hazy dream...which is a bad thing.

Aiden

I think you are being over critical, the pace was a little rushed but you can't blame a movie for "skipping" ahead as it did. The obvious solution was to break chapter 1 into more movies but then that would also have people's interest wane.

Original Content

Even though I haven't seen it yet, Thank the Gods, if this is only of the first season then you wouldn't hear about the Comet anyway. Now why they fear the Avatar, I guess I'll find out in due time.
User Discretion advised: F-list Profiles

Will

Quote from: Michi No Sora on July 01, 2010, 09:13:24 AM
M. Night Shyamalan screw up a movie? Real shocker...:P

Even working from set material, he still can't do it? *sighs*

You said it before I could. >.<
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Brandon

In his defense he is a good script writer, but I think he lacks the experience and vision to be a good director at this time. That said, everyone needs to get their experience from somewhere

Will

The only good movie he ever made was The Sixth Sense, and that was only good because I wasn't already numb to his gimmick.  He is not a good script writer in the slightest.  The pacing problems are also far too believable with him in charge.  Have you seen the Village?  I hope not, for your sake.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on July 01, 2010, 06:22:05 PM
I thought Avatar: The Last Airbender was far more than three seasons?

First season he learns water-bending from a man in the Northern Water tribe who happens to be Katara's grandmother's first love.  Second season, he learns earth-bending from a blind girl named Toph.  Third season, he learns fire-bending from Zuko (who has been trying to capture him through seasons one and two).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dunnuck

"A bit rushed"? There was literally no build up to any events in the movie. There was no sense of shock when Aang found out Zuko was the Blue Spirit. Specifically because you didn't get that sense of a feud between the two. It was just bad. Zuko wasn't nearly obsessive enough over Aang (which is an important part of his character). Aang hardly ever enjoyed himself or played around. There was no connection between Appa and Aang. Sokka had hardly any funny lines. He had no sarcasm. Firelord was an idiot. Everything was shallow and shitty. Except the sets.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

It was a movie that deserved at least 2 hours.. it was hard to put an whole season in 90 minutes. LOTS of things could have been expanded on. You don't get much of Ang's childish joy of life, and at the end when he steps up to his role as the Avatar it felt.. tragic, he was seeing the life he wanted fading.

Curious to see how the 2nd comes through but not sure I'd recommend this one.

Jag

Quote from: Will on July 01, 2010, 11:36:32 PM
You said it before I could. >.<

Well, it needed to be said.

He's proven that he screws up the movies he writes out of his own imagination, you'd think he could do a little better with a movie that practically has a script already (the damn show!).

Quote from: Brandon on July 01, 2010, 11:40:07 PM
In his defense he is a good script writer, but I think he lacks the experience and vision to be a good director at this time. That said, everyone needs to get their experience from somewhere

He's been writing and directing movies for over 10 years, I think he should have enough experience by now...or even a little experience. The Happening, Lady in the Water, Signs (which could of been decent), and The Village were terrible movies. The pacing was awful and the acting generally was too. Shyamalan's little 'twists' aren't that fun. I agree with Will, the only decent movie he's made is 'The Sixth Sense' and even that was only decent to me because it was different from the other movies out at that time.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment