Roaring 20ies/Speakeasy/Gangster & Crime Stories [Open to all]

Started by Nico, April 29, 2015, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nico

A story about crime, gangsters, mob wars and more...

Current year IC: 1921

Why the NC Board?

Given the very nature of this group (with crime and violence involvement), there is the chance of things like kidnapping, being locked up somewhere, etc. to happen. This alone warrants the threads to be located in the NC Board.

Anything that is considered NC will only happen with writer consent, of course!

How do I join?

- Say hello in this thread.
- Make sure to read over our rules (the moment you send in a sheet for approval - we will assume that you read them. We will not listen to a 'But I didn't read them'.)
- Work on a sheet
- Send it in for approval
- Have fun! ;D

Character types we are not accepting anymore

- Prostitutes/sex workers
- Wealthy characters

Follow the link below for our rules, please:

What we are:

A plot and story driven freeform/sandbox game, more than likely with GM events sprinkled here and there. Focused on character development, relationship (not exclusively the romantic kind) building. Story and plot development, writers bringing their own ideas to the table;

What we are not :

A smutfest. A 'dating game' or too much preformed relationships/love interests. (such things are better developed IC, no?)

Is this Group GBLTQA and cross-gender writer friendly?

Why yes, of course!

Just - this would be set in the 1920ties. It should be kept in mind that being openly gay/lesbian/everything that was considered 'not normal' was pretty much out of the question, often heavily frowned upon and -in certain circles- even lethal. That doesn't mean that nobody was homosexual/bisexual/whatever back then, just good with hiding it. ;)

Some general info/inspiration
Timeframe: US Prohibition era (as in early 1920ies to 1933 or so)
Plot locations: Speakeasy, streets, hotels, ballrooms, shady, secret gambling rooms, other places;

Possible Character types: [all characters will be human] Bartenders, dancers, entertainers, prostitutes, corrupt politicians, gangsters, mobsters, cops, pimps, business owners, reporters, artists, private detectives;
Possible themes: Crime syndicates, Mafia, blackmail, action, drama, illegal activities (gambling, prostitution, alcohol, etc.), social class differences, romance (as long as it doesn't take over the plot), violence, murder, conflicts between characters, love/hate, passion, forbidden relationships/friendships/connections, racism, homophobia, tragedy, .... and probably a ton more.

Inspirations: Boardwalk Empire, Good Fellas (just the overall theme, not the timeframe), The Untouchables, Scarface, Once upon a time in America, The Great Gatsby, Miller's Crossing, Bonnie and Clyde (of course!), Last Man Standing, Bullets over Broadway, Road to Perdition, Casablanca (again, the setting, not the timeframe);

Current Threads
Click a button to be taken to it's corresponding thread.

OOC

RP

Manhattan NYC

Manhattan - Little Italy

Harlem & Hell's Kitchen

Brooklyn

Boardwalk

Misc

Just Outside City Limits

Signature link:

[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=228306.0][img]https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/b/be/SigLink.jpg[/img][/url]

Nico

Quote from: Blinkin on April 29, 2015, 09:39:27 AM
Standard question #1. Will you have a problem with males playing female characters?

If the answer is no... can I play a speakeasy owner? ;)
I mentioned above that it will be a cross gender writer friendly group. ;)

We're not there, yet. But I know that my future Co-GM (if this goes live) will own the Speakeasy. But - hands down, there are tons of other options.

la dame en noir

Yesss! THANK YOU FOR THIS NICHOLAS!

I'm very interested. Will this have a setting? Like New York or something? I want a make a Jazz Singer that has a history of dealing with thugs and such.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Nico

Quote from: la dame en noir on April 29, 2015, 09:53:16 AM
Yesss! THANK YOU FOR THIS NICHOLAS!

I'm very interested. Will this have a setting? Like New York or something? I want a make a Jazz Singer that has a history of dealing with thugs and such.
Of course it will have a setting. This is just to see if there would be enough interest to invest the time and effort to create settings, layouts, etc.

la dame en noir

Awesome! I was just wondering so I could create a character that fit that particular place. I'm excited and hope this gains lots of interest.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Aiden

I just saw this video from Social D and was thinking I would love a setting in this time era. So you have my interest.

I so want to make a hired muscle/bank robber.

Nico

Quote from: la dame en noir on April 29, 2015, 09:56:48 AM
Awesome! I was just wondering so I could create a character that fit that particular place. I'm excited and hope this gains lots of interest.
Perfectly understandable. :-)

Personally, I tend to NYC, simply because I know this City way better than Chicago. But, we'll see.

Quote from: Aiden on April 29, 2015, 10:01:27 AM
I so want to make a hired muscle/bank robber.
That is an option, no question.

MaverickKane

My character image Emilie Hirsch from Bonnie and clyde 2014 movie. I'll work on more once we figure out a cs to use. -winks to nick-

Nico

Quote from: MaverickKane on April 29, 2015, 10:11:34 AM
My character image Emilie Hirsch from Bonnie and clyde 2014 movie. I'll work on more once we figure out a cs to use. -winks to nick-
You know that I love you. ~laughs~

If this gets going....

....I'll take him, no doubt. Rawr.

MaverickKane

Quote from: Blinkin on April 29, 2015, 09:39:27 AM
Standard question #1. Will you have a problem with males playing female characters?

If the answer is no... can I play a speakeasy owner? ;)

What about the manager of said speakeasy?

SlipperySue

Interested in any female role, but drawn to gangster's moll/dancer/singer/prostitute or combination of them.

NubianLegend

I'm contemplating my interest. What would a period game set in the reckless 20's be without a doctor or two?

Nico

Quote from: NubianLegend on April 29, 2015, 10:47:56 AM

I'm contemplating my interest. What would a period game set in the reckless 20's be without a doctor or two?
~thumbs up~ He'd probably have a lot to do, with all those bad guys.  XD

Juggtacular

Would a massive black guy who has proved he's a good criminal, has got a keen mind on top of being intimidating as all hell and having a right hook that has let's just say...how should I put it, has killed people have a place here? Like Head of Security for the Speakeasy? Who might have to prove why he has the job now and then because of his skin tone?

Bloodied Porcelain

DEFINITELY interested, though I don't have a character idea just yet.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Nico

Quote from: Juggtacular on April 29, 2015, 11:23:48 AM
Would a massive black guy who has proved he's a good criminal, has got a keen mind on top of being intimidating as all hell and having a right hook that has let's just say...how should I put it, has killed people have a place here? Like Head of Security for the Speakeasy? Who might have to prove why he has the job now and then because of his skin tone?
Yep, the Speakeasy would need security, no doubt. Sounds good, as long as it isn't 'over the top'. Characters should be real, with flaws, weaknesses, etc. No perfect 'jacks of all trades' so to speak.

I like the idea about a black character a lot. The era wasn't too kind to black people, after all, but it's very interesting.

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on April 29, 2015, 11:28:20 AM
DEFINITELY interested, though I don't have a character idea just yet.
There's no rush, honey.  :-* You'll have enough time to ponder and think something up. We're not going to rush it.

Juggtacular

Quote from: Nicholas on April 29, 2015, 11:33:33 AM
Yep, the Speakeasy would need security, no doubt. Sounds good, as long as it isn't 'over the top'. Characters should be real, with flaws, weaknesses, etc. No perfect 'jacks of all trades' so to speak.

I like the idea about a black character a lot. The era wasn't too kind to black people, after all, but it's very interesting.

No no, he wouldn't be over the top. Just a big guy who surprises people because not only is he big and black(in that era a guy his size and color would about 90% of the time be assumed to be a big lumbering oaf) but he's intelligent. I think it'd throw people off to see a 6'6 monster who likes to read for example. And he'll definitely have his flaws and vices and such. Now that the concept is okay'd I can start thinking on stuff.

Nico

Quote from: Juggtacular on April 29, 2015, 11:38:10 AM
No no, he wouldn't be over the top. Just a big guy who surprises people because not only is he big and black(in that era a guy his size and color would about 90% of the time be assumed to be a big lumbering oaf) but he's intelligent. I think it'd throw people off to see a 6'6 monster who likes to read for example. And he'll definitely have his flaws and vices and such. Now that the concept is okay'd I can start thinking on stuff.
Sounds good to me! And yeah, I can see people thinking he's dumb, probably because out of prejudice because of his ethnicity. ~nodnod~

Bloodied Porcelain

I might already have a character in mind. Didn't take long. xD 

I'm debating a daughter of an Irish mob boss. The Irish Mob was around in the US before the Italians, and had groups in pretty much every major American city. They played a pretty big role in the prohibition era as well, and were known to occasionally have truces/partnerships with the Italians when it suited them. Debating this lovely for a face claim, though I'm not sure yet:

I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

Nico

Quote from: Bloodied Porcelain on April 29, 2015, 11:49:37 AM
I might already have a character in mind. Didn't take long. xD 

I'm debating a daughter of an Irish mob boss. The Irish Mob was around in the US before the Italians, and had groups in pretty much every major American city. They played a pretty big role in the prohibition era as well, and were known to occasionally have truces/partnerships with the Italians when it suited them. Debating this lovely for a face claim, though I'm not sure yet:

Downton Abbey! ;D She's lovely! ~thumbs up~

Was hoping someone would bring the Irish Mob into the mix. They played an important role in that era. ~nodnod~

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Nicholas on April 29, 2015, 11:52:32 AM
Downton Abbey! ;D She's lovely! ~thumbs up~

Was hoping someone would bring the Irish Mob into the mix. They played an important role in that era. ~nodnod~

I might be praying someone uses Cillian Murphy in Peaky Blinders for a character. >.> He'd make a lovely edition to the Irish Mob side of things. ^.^

ALSO... if anyone needs ideas of movies/shows to look for face claims, style references, etc from, Wikipedia has a list of films and movies set in the 1920s here. :) There are some newer things missing, I've noticed, but it's still a nice list.

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Juggtacular

Found my faceclaim already, Michael Jai White; AKA one of the most badass black guys on film, lol. I'm thinking he might have made a name for himself and his small, but talented crew in pulling off jobs here and there; enough that it got him noticed and the Speakeasy folks made him an offer. Or he came to them and offered his services. It's still an idea in the works.

Nico

I already have a vague concept in mind for my guy. He's going to be a bartender at the Speakeasy. ~nodnod~ Not mob related....yet. ~snerks~

Nico

Quote from: Blinkin on April 29, 2015, 12:06:51 PM
Ok, since the owner is out and someone's asking already about the manager... idea stealer... ;)

How about a flapper/prostitute? no idea at all on a representation as I haven't seen a movie iin years, I'm getting ideas on the details.
The Manager offer was for you ;)