Avatar D20 Interest Check: The Avatar is an Evil Overlord

Started by ShadowFox89, April 02, 2012, 12:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Sixty years ago, the Avatar was found to be an airbender. A battle ensued and the Avatar was killed, taking out the temple with him. Twenty years after that, the new Avatar was found, a young waterbender girl of the Southern tribe. She too, was killed by the Fire Nation, seeking to conquer the world. They hunted for her for four years, before finally killing her on the night of a lunar eclipse.
Sixteen years later, it was revealed that the next Avatar was an earth bender. A powerful warrior, he led the Earth Kingdom to victory over the Fire Nation. But he did not stop there. Declaring that there must be peace for all nations, lest they turn towards war, he began to conquer all who opposed his rule. The Avatar declared himself emperor, protector of the world.
Now, he makes his capital in the great city of Ba Sing Se. The Dai Li, his secret police, ensure that no one opposes him inside the city. His armies ensure none oppose him outside, regularly putting down rebellions that arise on the massive continent. That hasn't stopped a small rebellion from forming in the city, intent on fighting back against the Avatar.

What system?: Avatar D20 fanmade supplement, using DnD 3.5 as a base with a number of house rules.
http://theanteheroes.com/Avatar%20d20/BendingChapter.pdf
Level? 6th
Starting Gold: Standard for 6th (I'll check later and update this)
Houserules you should know:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#maximumRanksLimitedChoices
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm

Races Allowed: Human only
Classes Allowed: Barbarian, Fighter, Monk, Paladin (noncasting variant), Ranger (noncasting variant), Ninja, Rogue, all four bending classes, Crusader, Swordsage, Warblade, Swashbuckler, Knight, Scout.
Character Generation Info: Max HP per level, 40 point abilities.

Players: Taking up to five players. One slot is already filled, another is a possible, leaving three empty slots.

I'd like basic character information to start. Name, age, class, how you got to Ba Sing Se, and why would would want to fight against the Avatar.

edit: For equipment, no magical equipment. Instead, use this: https://sites.google.com/site/avatard20/equipment%26machinery

Current Cast List:
Meifeng - Airbender
Kaminari - Firebender
Jefepato? - Warblade?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

Name:  Meifeng
Class:  Air Bender
Growing up peacefully in the Northern Air Temple, Mei Feng was seized by an earth bending captain in the armies of the Avatar, who meant to take her as a concubine.  Before he could consummate her new status, she escaped and fled into the capitol.  A year later, she has changed her appearance with a full head of hair and change her monk's robes for humble brown attire.  Still a wide eyed beauty, she seeks to join up with others who wish to see the avatar overthrown and his soul freed to a more worthy incarnation. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ShadowFox89

Looks good Muse. Hopefully, we can get some more players.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Jefepato

Hm.  I'll consider this if I can wrap my head around the system.

ShadowFox89

I'm always around to help with people learning the system. If you know DnD 3.5 or Pathfinder, it shouldn't be too hard. If you don't.... I can try to help, but I'm not the best teacher around.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Mysterica

I will totally check it out once I wake up tomorrow.  I just had a killer kung fu lesson and I'm too tired to look at it right now, but still color me interested.

Roleplay Frog

System looks a lot like a reworked psionic system that, as often with psions, borrows from warlocks for flavour. .. it says a lot about me that I'm more interested in the system then the mythology or? .. aanyway, just reading through the system, not super eager to play here srys!:P

Mysterica

Well, after looking things over, I'm either going to go fire bender or a pseudo fire bender by going sword sage and specializing in the desert wind school.  I'll most likely be a fire bender though.

Mysterica

Name: Kaminari
Class: Firebender
Kaminari grew up on one of the smaller islands on the outskirts of the Fire Nation away from the hustle and bustle of the capitol.  She was allowed to visit the capitol once a year on one of the festival days, but over the last few years all it did was depress her as all around she couldn't help but notice the Avatar's servants there to make sure that there were no 'problems' going on.  Unfortunately the 'problems' were the things that used to make the fire nation what it was, public duels to settle disputes of course ranking first on the list.

Hating what she was seeing, upon reaching the age where she would normally have likely joined the military were it not all but disbanded, she set off for Ba Sing Se where she would make a temporary life as a dancer while she scouted out the city looking for any weaknesses in the Avatar's palace, and any others to help her form a strike force to bring him down.

Muse

Smiles.  Rebel dancing girls seems like a fun theme. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ShadowFox89

I'll put up an OOC on Saturday and we can hopefully start the game around Monday. If we don't get a full cast by then, I'll start it with whoever we have an add in the rest as they join.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Mysterica

Sounds good.  I'll probably work on the character skeleton at work later.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

ShadowFox89

First post has been updated with relevant character creation information. Starting wealth is 3600gp.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Muse

Name:  Meifeng
Class:  Air Bender
Growing up peacefully in the Northern Air Temple, Mei Feng was seized by an earth bending captain in the armies of the Avatar, who meant to take her as a concubine.  Before he could consummate her new status, she escaped and fled into the capitol.  A year later, she has changed her appearance with a full head of hair and change her monk's robes for humble brown attire.  Still a wide eyed beauty, she seeks to join up with others who wish to see the avatar overthrown and his soul freed to a more worthy incarnation. 
Strength   12 +1
Dexterity   14 +2
Constitution   13 +1
Intelligence   14 +2
Wisdom   18 +4
Charisma   14 +2

HP      36

AC   22   (Class Bonus +10   Dexterity +2)

Saving Throws: 
Fortitude   2 +1   =d20+3
Reflex      5 +2   =d20+7
Will      5 +4   =d20+9

Attacks: 
Balanced Airbender’s Staff of Renown
--TAB +10 (+10 +10)
--Damage d6+1 (d6+1, d6)
--Critical 20X2

Unarmed: 
--TAB: +8
--Damage d3+1
--Critical 20X2

Class Features:
AC Bonus
Advanced Bending +2
Air Blast 1d6
Deflect Attack -8
Evasion
Improved Unarmed Strike
Kinetic Grace (Move)
Wind Dancer: (5ft, 1/Encounter)

Feats: 
Intuitive Attack
Skill Knowledge
Two Weapon Fighting
Versatile Performer: Dance, Percussion, Winds

Forms: 
Air Blast (Fundamental Seed)
Difficulty Class: 5
Components: Somatic
Bending Time: Ranged attack.
Range: 60 ft.
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
The first offensive ability you learn as an airbender.  Whenever you would be granted a ranged attack, you may use an Air Blast instead, including as part of a full attack action, or feats like Shot on the Run. This attack deals 1d6 damage, increasing by an additional 1d6 damage for every six Bender Levels that you have. This damage may either be non-lethal bludgeoning damage, or lethal sonic damage, at your option. 
Augment:
- By using five points of your augment pool, you can perform this form as part of a standard melee attack on the same target.
- By using five points of your augment pool, you can initiate bull rush attacks with successful Air Blast strikes.  Anyone struck by the attack (or who fails their save, if this ability is made to require a save instead) is subject to a bull rush attempt by the attack, using your scores and modifiers (although not limited by your movement). You gain a bonus to this bull rush check equal to half your Bender Level. If you fail the attempt, you are not subject to any reactive rolls or effects.- For every five points you use from your augment pool, you gain a +2 bonus to your bull rush attempt. 

Hand of Wind (Fundamental Seed)
Difficulty Class: 5
Components: Somatic, Meditation
Bending Time: Standard action
Maintenance Action: Standard action
Target: Object or creature up to 5 lbs per Bender Level.
Duration: Concentration
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (see text)
You move a single object as long as it is within the weight limit. You can take a maintenance action to suspend an object in mid-air between rounds. You move the targeted object up to 30 ft in a round. Subjects can be hurled outside of the range of the form, due to momentum, though you lose control over them.
A number of small objects within the same square can be moved as one, provided they fit in the weight category.  They deal damage as a single large object.  When hurled, you must succeed on a single attack roll to hit the target with the weight, using your base attack bonus + your Wisdom modifier. When thrusting, you do not have specific control over the way an object is thrown, so its inherent lethality doesn't come into play. Hard, dense objects deal 1d6 points of damage per 10 lbs. Other objects may deal as little as 1 point per 10 lbs. 
Creatures who fall within the weight capacity of the form can be hurled, but they are allowed Fortitude saves to negate the effect, as are those whose held possessions are targeted by the form. A hurled creature takes damage and deals damage to its target; an unarmored human may deal and take only 1d3 damage per 10 lbs. One in spiked armor may deal and take up to 1d6 damage per 10 lbs. 
You may not target yourself with this form.
Augment:
- For every two points you use from your augment pool, you can move an additional 5 pounds of weight.
- For every two points you use from your augment pool, you can move objects 5 feet farther.

Control Winds (Seed)
Difficulty Class: See Text
Components: Meditation
Bending Time: One round
Maintenance Action: Full-round action
Area: Cone-shaped spread of wind
Duration: Concentration + one round
You begin to change the wind speed in a 60-ft. cone in front of you. (See Table: Wind Effects in the Dungeon Master's Guide.) You may choose to make these winds as strong - or as gentle - as you are capable of controlling. If the winds already present in the area are stronger than you can control, this form fails.
Wind Strength Base DC
Light 0
Moderate 5
Strong 10
Severe 20
Windstorm 35
Hurricane 55
Tornado 80
One round after you cease to focus on the winds, they begin returning to their natural state.
Augment:
- By using ten points of your augment pool, you can change this form's area to a 20-ft radius centered on you.

Flowing Air Strike (Seed)
Difficulty Class: 10
Bending Time: Swift action
Maintenance Action: Swift action
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: Concentration
You improve your combat rhythm and timing, allowing you to strike harder and faster. For the duration of this form, you gain a +1 bonus to your melee attacks and damage with light or one-handed weapons for every three Bender Levels you possess.
Augment:
- For every five points you use from your augment pool, your melee attacks with light or one-handed weapons ignore 10% miss chance due to concealment or other effects.

Heavenly Stride (Seed)
Difficulty Class: 20
Bending Time: Varies; see text.
Maintenance Action: Swift action (Windrunner)
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: Instantaneous (Cloudwalker); Concentration (Windrunner)
This stance initiates two different forms:
Cloudwalker: As a full-round action, make a Jump check.  Add your Bending check to the result. You are always considered to be running for this jump. The distance you jump in a round is not limited by your movement.
Windrunner: When you use the charge, run or double move action, you gain a +10 circumstance bonus to your land and air movement speed. For every consecutive run or double move thereafter, you gain an additional +5 bonus, to a maximum of +20.
Augment:
- For every point you exceed the base difficulty maximum speed increases by 5 feet.

Wind Burst (Seed)
Difficulty Class: 15
Bending Time: Standard action
Range: 5 ft.
Area: 5-ft radius burst centered on you
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
The air around you explodes in a circular burst. Creatures within the area must make a Reflex save or take 1d4 bludgeoning damage. Subjects that fail their save are subject to a bull rush attempt by the attack, using your scores and modifiers (although not limited by your movement). Use your Wisdom score in place of your Strength score for this attempt. If you fail the attempt, you are not subject to any reactive rolls or effects.
Augment:
- For every two points you use from your augment pool, you deal an additional 1d4 damage.
- For every four points you use from your augment pool, the radius increases by 5 feet.
- For every two points that you exceed the base difficulty class, you gain a +1 bonus to your Bull Rush attempt with this form.

Skills: 
Balance      9 +2 +2 +0   =d20+13
Bending      9 +4 +2 +0   =d20+15
Bluff         9 +2 +0 +0   =d20+11
Concentration      9 +1 +0 +0   =d20+10
Diplomacy      9 +2 +4 +0   =d20+15
Escape Artist      9 +2 +0 +0   =d20+11
Jump         9 +1 +2 +0   =d20+12
Perform: Versatile   9 +2 +0 +2   =d20+13
Tumble      9 +2 +2 +0   =d20+11

Gear: 
Bodice Purse: 9 Platinum
Dancer’s Costume, Masterwork
Explorer’s Outfit

Belt Pouch
Candle X3
Chalk X3
Flint and Steel
Smoke Bomb
Whistle

Backpack
Bedroll and Winter Blanket
Masterwork Flute
Shovel
Silk Rope 50’
--Grapple
Smoke Bomb X4

Purse: 
Gold 10
Silver 3
Copper 6

Tydorei

Been wanting to play an avatar game on any site for a while now. Who would of thought it would be Elliquiy. heh heh.

ShadowFox89

Starting this game stems from my want to play an Avatar game but my dislike of most other sites.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Jefepato

I'm thinking I'd go warblade, but I need to mull a little more on a decent concept before posting one properly, I have a family thing to run out to in five.

DRoux

My interest is officially piqued.

Though out of curiosity, are there more than one bender of each style allowed?
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Apologies to all whom I play YIM games with, but my account seems to have locked me out. I'll try to fix that as soon as I can.

ShadowFox89

More than one bender of each element is allowed, yes.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

DRoux

Oh, how fun. I'll start work right now on a firebender.

EDIT: Second thought, can we use the martial/skill classes the supplement mentions?
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Apologies to all whom I play YIM games with, but my account seems to have locked me out. I'll try to fix that as soon as I can.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

DRoux

Kiyo

A former member of the Fire Nation's army, Kiyo was dishonorably discharged from the military as a result of disobeying a direct order, and sustained a close miss of a fireball thrown by her commanding officer that didn't kill her, but left her face burned and scarred. As a result of her injuries, she keeps her mask up at almost all times. After being spat out by the military system, Kiyohime largely worked as a hunter (or poacher) in rural villages, as a smuggler in coastal towns, or as just plain hired muscle in larger cities.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=388586

Frank Reshman

Very interested.  Is it still too late to join or are you guys full?  I just very recently started playing D&D, so I'm only familiar with 4e, and I'm not sure what's changed and what hasn't.  So...I'm just going to read up quick and get stuff figured out.  If I can still join, I'd like to round off the party by being an Earth-Bender.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A