Strange Aeons (Pathfinder, LGBT+ friendly)

Started by TheKhan, October 21, 2018, 12:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheKhan

That which is not dead may forever lie/And with strange aeons even death may die.
- The Necronomicon

You… you don’t know where you are. Hell, you don’t know who you are either. Your life is a distant blur, a mess of confusion that you can’t seem to fully recall. All you know is that a sense of dread grows within your mind, eating away at your soul.

Dark secrets lie within...

My Promise
Strange Aeons is a unique Adventure Path and because of that it requires a promise from me before we start. I am not here to fuck with you for me fun and amusement. This AP does mess with your heads a bit, but the goal is not to be a killer GM. I’m not here to arbitrarily kill off your characters (and sometimes it will look like I am because of the way the story is framed), but I’m here to have fun… and for you to have fun. My goal is to terrify and unnerve, but in doing so to also excite and delight. My aim is never to frustrate. In order game so inspired by the Mythos, you need to know that up front. This is still Pathfinder, not Call of Cthulhu, even if it is taking inspiration from CoC.

The Expectations

Regular Posting: I’m not going to set a specific rate, since shit happens, but please post regularly. An issue I’ve found with Pathfinder PbP is when people just want to post in combat, then don’t interact with other players outside of combat.

Please don’t do that.

This is a Pathfinder AP, so there will be plenty of combat, but the story of Strange Aeons is outright fascinating. I want to play this campaign to see how you will react to the strange and impossible. That roleplaying is a big draw for me, so I am perfectly fine with going extended periods without combat. Please make sure you are okay with that too.

Cooperative Play: Basically, don’t be a dick. Don’t troll other people or start fights. We are all here to have fun. Me having to play peacekeeper is anti-fun.

Open Mindedness: This game is open to all orientations and genders. I’m a cis-het male, so I can’t promise I’ll get everything right, but I’m always open to talking and learning more. I just ask everyone bring that open mindedness.

Communication: Talk to me (and each other). Let me know what you’d like to see/experience. If there is something you’d like to see or is killing your buzz, let me know. If something uncomfortable comes up and you need the scene to end, please tell me.

Playing an Adventure Path: APs, by their very nature, are hard to play in PbP. People lose focus or interest, they forget what goals are, or they don’t get constant stimulation, even when they have the best of intentions. I’m going to try some things mitigate these problems, but please be sure you can deal with the long-haul. Also, while I and the AP will give you flexibility with how to deal with problems, recognize there are some expectations of story beats that need to occur. Please make sure you are okay with this and willing to work within the confines of the story as presented.

Read the Player’s Guide: Find it here. You certainly don’t need to memorize the thing, but it's not long and sets some important expectations for this campaign. Also, it has some really good advice for character building.

The Rating
This is a game that goes full throttle on Cosmic Horror, so I am saying Extreme, but that is more for violence, gore, and mind screw rather than sexual content. Fighting Great Old Ones is an intense business. I want to give people fair warning of that and the rating is the easiest way to do so. With that said, non-con and relations with anyone under 19 (or appearing to be under, or under racial equivalent) are totally off limits for me under any circumstances. They will not be appearing in this game.

The Lore
Alignment: Any non-evil. Pathfinder is a game of heroes, and  With that said, Everyone in the group need to be able to get along. Preachy good, lawful templar, and chaotic jerk characters should be avoided.

Background: You can have pretty much any character you want… but everyone has lost significant portions of their memories. Your childhood is more or less clear, but more recent years are completely missing. You will get to discover why eventually and fill in the gaps, but don’t worry about that too much now. You may, however, want to think about how your background relates to your campaign trait.

Also worth noting, while it may be tempting to play a Mythos cultist for this adventure, that would not be an appropriate background. If you want to go that route, consider playing an ex-cultist who lost their memory and would be horrified by this revelation now. I am open to neutral cultists of other, non-Mythos dark gods, but they have to be able to cooperate and work with the other heroes. If you are interested in playing an ex-Mythos cultist or a non-Mythos cultist, message me and we can further discuss how to make that work.

Personality: As I said above, your character needs to be trusting enough to work with others without trying to screw them over (… screw them on the other hand…). Keep a game cohesive on the boards is hard enough with characters getting sarcastic with one another.

Appearance: As you please, although a picture is required so that I can use it on maps, although it doesn’t have to be a perfect representation of your character.

Aspirations: Please include three aspirations for your character, two short-term and one long term. Note that these are your aspirations for the character, so they don’t have to be things the character wants to happen to themself. Also, these aspirations should be story focused, but don’t have to connect to a larger metaplot. They are just useful barometers for me to try and keep everyone engaged.

Sexuality: The big focus on this game for is to play the game. For sex, I'm more interested in seeing realistic (or realistic as possible) relationships develop, rather than "everyone gets laid." It can and will come up, but it won't just be with a random NPC unless you specifically go looking for that. Of course, you are also free to imitate with each other if that is your desire.

The Crunch
Books: All Paizo. I'm sticking with that so I don't have to do any major restructuring of the AP to account for 3rd Party content.
Starting Level: 1st
Classes: Any from the above sources.
Races: Any race of up to 15 RP is okay.
Ability scores: Standard 15 point buy. A common question I’ve gotten from PbP is if I will up it to 20 point buy. Often I cave in, but I won't be this time since the AP is calibrated for 15 points.
Hit Points: Full at first level.
Equipment: Average starting wealth by class (find it here, under 8) Getting Equipped) If you are using a lot of non-standard equipment, please give a brief description of the item’s unique properties.
Traits: Two traits at character creation, no more by any means. One of the traits needs to be a campaign trait from the Player’s Guide.
Experience: When I feel it is an appropriate time for you to level up, I will tell you to level up.

The Application
Players: 4
What You Need: A character sheet that’s at least 90% done, including picture, aspirations, and background. The latter does not need to be super extensive, however.
When you need it by: November 3rd. If that doesn’t work though, talk to me and we may be able to work something out. I'd like to aim to have the final group chosen by November 4th or 5th.

Chulanowa

Vergil1989

I know next to nothing about Pathfinder.  I'd like to change that if at all possible.  I'm trying to branch out from D&D and broaden my system knowledge a bit, but I don't want to drag anyone down either.  Would a near complete noob be alright to join this?  Because if so, I'll do my best to at least get something started here soon.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

TheKhan

Quote from: Vergil1989 on October 21, 2018, 02:06:42 PM
I know next to nothing about Pathfinder.  I'd like to change that if at all possible.  I'm trying to branch out from D&D and broaden my system knowledge a bit, but I don't want to drag anyone down either.  Would a near complete noob be alright to join this?  Because if so, I'll do my best to at least get something started here soon.

I'd be okay with it. As long as your willing to work with the other players and take advice from them, I expect it would be okay. Fair warning though, this is a very different campaign than most of Pathfinder's fare.

Vergil1989

I have read and seen a couple campaigns, so I kinda got that impression lol.  But yeah, I'm happy to try and talk to everyone as needed either here or Discord or whatever.  I can't get to my computer at this exact moment, but as soon as I'm able I'll happily start coordinating where I need to.  I assume Mythweavers for character sheets then?  I'm just clarifying is all, but I'm easy to get along with, so no worries on this end Khan.  God that feels so weird to say, seeing as I watch too much Star Trek at times lol.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread

TheKhan

Grizzly

Count me in.  I'll knock together a character in a few days.  (I'm on the road at the moment)
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Vergil1989

And I just now noticed but your picture looks like a black and white pencil drawing of Vivi from Final Fantasy 9.  So many awesome memories if that's the case.  ;D  Lol but alright, I'll do my best, but starting a Discord might not be a bad idea honestly.  Just a suggestion is all.  :D

I think I have everything taken care of Khan, but feel free to correct me if there's anything missing or whatever.  I might be missing some equipment, starting items, whatever, but I believe everything else is filled in appropriately.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1731312

That's what I have so far though.  Hopefully it's a good start for ya Khan.  :D

Ixy

I love the sound of this... the idea of it being horror-focused, of being "messed with" but with you, as DM, being completely upfront that the focus is for a higher goal for the story... that there will be mysteries we may never solve... and yes, I adore violence, writing gore is SO much fun, and this is the best season for a good, dark story.

Would you find it more beneficial to have a bard, who is uncertain why she is gets a terrified chill when she hears chains rattle, but can't turn away when she thinks that something new is about to rear its head-- no matter how vile and strange it is?

Or would you rather have a dedicated, hard-nosed fighter/barbarian/ranger or whatnot, who cares only about pulling her compatriots from the maw of danger, and who has nightmares about losing them despite only having just met them?

If either works out, I'll work up the sheet-- and if neither works, or my app just falls short-- that's okay too.  Thank you for the opportunity :)

Vergil1989

I'm actually working on a bard Ixy, but I'm alright if you want to do one as well.  I just thought I'd warn you before you got too far ahead though.   :-[

Ixy

Quote from: Vergil1989 on October 21, 2018, 09:09:34 PM
I'm actually working on a bard Ixy, but I'm alright if you want to do one as well.  I just thought I'd warn you before you got too far ahead though.   :-[

Not a problem-- that helps me narrow it down to avoid stepping on toes.  Now, just... er... Bloodrager, Barbarian, Ranger, Fighter, fuuuuuu.... definitely a meathead....

TheKhan

Quote from: Ixy on October 21, 2018, 09:01:46 PM
I love the sound of this... the idea of it being horror-focused, of being "messed with" but with you, as DM, being completely upfront that the focus is for a higher goal for the story... that there will be mysteries we may never solve... and yes, I adore violence, writing gore is SO much fun, and this is the best season for a good, dark story.

This is defintely the game for you then!

Ixy

Word ;)  Here's the first draft, sans background-- basically as I described.  She is strongly impulsive, attached to her partners, has terrifying visions of something terrible happening to them, despite barely knowing them... all hints of who she may be despite not having any clear recollections. 

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1731623

Rhynarion

I am working on a Dhampir Sorcerer who worships Ragadahn!

Sanyebon emphasizes his role as a scholar and explorer of the unknown, and as the patron of sailors and dragons, rather than his more destructive and bloodthirsty aspects; especially as a scholar and explorer.

Vergil1989

I can't get into anything specific since, as I've said before, I know next to nothing about this world.  Still, I do know Lyanna Amell is a half elf bard with a noble background who currently has a lot of guilt which drives her forward.  She of course can't remember it, whatever she's done, but my thought is that she was Charmed by someone she trusted to kill someone in her own family.  Whatever the case, waking up in this nightmarish scenario is almost a reprieve.  ;D

Other than hoping all of her various stats, equipment, feats, traits, etc are alright, I think she's good to go.  I won't be able to fix her sheet until tomorrow at some point though, but feel free to check her over whenever someone gets a chance.  Thanks and thanks for having me!

TheKhan

@Vergil: I've only skimmed your character sheet, but it looks like it should be good. Don't worry about not knowing the world for the background, if you create something fairly generic, I (or other players) can help you tie it into Golarion more directly. Don't forget about personality and aspirations either!

@Ixy: Bloodrager! Did you pick out traits yet? I couldn't find them on your sheet.

Ixy

I will add traits and a little bit more gear today, and update when all clear for your final review. TY!

Chulanowa

I'm feeling like doing an Occult class, or perhaps a wizard / witch. Gotta go image shopping to decide  :-)

Roleplay Frog

This one I feel much more easily inspired by and.. like the dark and mysterious anyway. So.... donzo!

Joane D'artagan
Lvl 1 Chaotic Good Human Vampire Hunter

Random Piratey Theme.
Joane distinctively remembers.. rather little, but among these little things is singing pirate shanties and hunting a merchant ship. Adding to that her attire, she concludes she has been serving as, or even was, a mighty pirate captain. With little other choice, she fully embraces this role, even if some of the ... less heroic aspects of piracy leave a bad taste in her mouth. See rather believe herself to have been a noble buccaneer, taking from the rich and giving to the poor, than a seafaring robber.

She also believes herself cursed, due to a hint of supernatural abilities in her arsenal, which she can not otherwise explain away. And stories of cursed pirate-captains are abound, aren't they?

Full backstory

Joane is both vampire and pirate-hunter, perhaps the only of her kind. Her young soon to be husband seduced and drained by a creature of the night with a dark ship making port at her home-town.
She even managed to track down and slay the creature that had taken her beloved.. only to realize that she too had been a victim of another undead.

She dedicated her life at first to revenge and then, when the shock and sorrow faded, to protect others from the fate she had experienced. She's been in disguise, traveling, hunting wicked pirates and lesser undead alike for months, if not years, she lost track.

In her dedication he learned to use some of the lesser abilities of his quarry, albeit never falling to their dark depravity. Still, her predicaments have left her with a grim determination that has not entirely faded with a loss of memories.

Aspirations:
- Become a well renowed (Feared, respected) Pirate captain
- Get booty. One or the other kind. You know.
- Find out why she has this strange penchant for eating garlic.

Ability Scores(+Modifiers)
Str 14 +2
Dex 16 +3
Con 12 +1
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 12 +1

HP: 10 (1d8 +2) Armor Class: 17 (+4 armor, +3 Dex) Initiative Bonus: +3 Speed:d 30 ft land CMD: 16 Saving Throws: Fort: +1  Ref: +5 Will: +2
Class/Racial Feats
Human: +2 dex, Bonus feat, Military Tradition (Bastard Sword, Duelling Dagger)
Vampire Hunter: Detect Undead, Track, Vampiric focus (Vampiric Might), Technique Feat (Two Weapon fighting)

Chosen Feats(2 total): Possessed Hand, Hands Autonomy

Traits: Cautious Warrior(Combat), Ships Crew(campaign)

Skills:
Intimidate: +5
Sense Motive: +4
Perception: +4
Profession: (Sailor) +4
Acrobatics: +8
Knowledge: Religion +3

Equipment and items: 175 gold
Crossbow, Light x1 (35 gold)
Crossbow bolt x20 (2 gold)
Armored Coat (50 gold)
Dagger, Duelling (12 gold)
Bastard sword x2 (70 gold)
- > 1 gold for food rations.
10 gold left

Attacks: -2 If Dual-wielding
+4 Bastard Sword 1d10 +3 (19-20 x2).

TheKhan

Just to make sure everyone's clear (since I realized I may have done a poor job of communicating it in my original post) I'm going to leave this thread open until the 3rd, then pick the players out of those who have expressed interest. As you can see, there has been quite a bit. So don't feel you need to rush working on character sheets!

Looking good so far and I'm stoked to see what else I out there!

ChaoticSky

I am also interested, probably a Brawler? Will work on it this weekend i think.

Callie Del Noire

I think it could be fun to try out something out of one of the Lovecraft stories.. like the character at the end of Dweller on the Thresholod

I would ask that you reconsider the BP range.. 15 BP is hideous considering what we'll be encountering (Anything in Mythos settings are going to eat us alive)

Noel

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

(Elliquiy)  Noel
Changeling unchained rogue 1 (Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Coven 7, Pathfinder Player Companion: Melee Tactics Toolbox 15, Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 4 29, Pathfinder Unchained 20)
NG Medium humanoid (changeling)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +5
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 12, touch 12, flat-footed 10 (+2 Dex)
hp 10 (1d8+2)
Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +1; +2 racial bonus vs gaze attacks
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Special Attacks sneak attack (unchained) +1d6
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 1st; concentration +1)
   1/day—dancing lights, detect magic, disguise self, pass without trace
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 11
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 13
Feats Point-Blank Shot, Throw Anything, Weapon Finesse
Traits formerly mind-swapped, surprise weapon
Skills Acrobatics +6, Climb +5, Diplomacy +4, Disable Device +6, Disguise +4, Knowledge (local) +6, Perception +5, Stealth +6, Swim +5, Use Magic Device +4
Languages Common
SQ improvised weapons
Other Gear 150 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Improvised Weapons (Ex) Gain Catch Off-Guard and Throw Anything as bonus feats.
Point-Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Sneak Attack (Unchained) +1d6 Attacks deal extra dam if flank foe or if foe is flat-footed.
Throw Anything Proficient with improvised ranged weapons. +1 to hit with thrown splash weapons..

TheKhan

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 22, 2018, 08:26:10 PM
I would ask that you reconsider the BP range.. 15 BP is hideous considering what we'll be encountering (Anything in Mythos settings are going to eat us alive)

No can do, sorry. Every time I've allowed BP 20 for an AP, it has messed with the progression. The writers have taken it into account don't worry. There are opportunities to gain permanent stat boosts, and the first two APs are a master class in showing how to run a low-level Lovecraftian adventure without throwing the heroes against insurmountable odds. It will work out in the end, trust me!

Besides, the Great Old Ones don't come until later...

(Yes, that was plural)

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: TheKhan on October 22, 2018, 09:16:04 PM
No can do, sorry. Every time I've allowed BP 20 for an AP, it has messed with the progression. The writers have taken it into account don't worry. There are opportunities to gain permanent stat boosts, and the first two APs are a master class in showing how to run a low-level Lovecraftian adventure without throwing the heroes against insurmountable odds. It will work out in the end, trust me!

Besides, the Great Old Ones don't come until later...

(Yes, that was plural)

15 is the expected standard.. and I found while considering builds that I can still hit a relatively easy 15+DC for casters or a 25 ac for melees by sacrificing other stuff, so it's really not backbreaking.

I mean, by the same logic I dun think 20 backbreaking either, Players that want to build strong will do so with 10 or 30 points, but *chuckles*

Heck. I'll bet money I can do something naughty with 0 points, all 10's, only racial modifier. :p
But that's beside the point.

Callie Del Noire

I won’t fib I don’t build high stats on 20 BP unless I’m doing a caster. I just like a little more padding for things like saves, skills and such. 4 person party makes it difficult to fill all the niches

Here is what I got so far.. something like The Thing on the Threshold’s  William Derby..with out the being in a dead body part. I’m trying to find an image of the woman on Page 7 of the Strange Aeons Players Guide. I’d try to upload it but I don’t know any free options for it

Noel A.

Backstory: None, given we start in a fugue state

Introduction (From my PC’s POV):
”They say I’m a Lady, Noel, but I know that I’d not....
   I should a gutter rat, more often cursed at than addressed by name
  I am a short petite woman with a mane of black hair...
    But I shouldn’t be, I recall being tall and lanky..
  There are memories of alien lands with red skies and needlike towers of by gone times
    Not the halls of the capital and the piers of Westcrown..
  I see alien forms and the face in the mirror with mismatched eyes, that aren’t my own..
    ‘Who am?’
   A voice replies but I can’t hear it..

Noel A.

Changeling unchained rogue 1 (Pathfinder Player Companion: Blood of the Coven 7, Pathfinder Player Companion: Melee Tactics Toolbox 15, Pathfinder RPG Bestiary 4 29, Pathfinder Unchained 20)
CG Medium humanoid (changeling)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +5
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 13, touch 12, flat-footed 11 (+2 Dex, +1 natural)
hp 10 (1d8+2)
Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +1; +2 racial bonus vs gaze attacks
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee 2 claws +2 (1d4+1)
Special Attacks sneak attack (unchained) +1d6
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 11
Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 13
Feats Catch Off-guard, Point-Blank Shot, Throw Anything, Weapon Finesse
Traits formerly mind-swapped, surprise weapon
Skills Acrobatics +6, Climb +5, Diplomacy +4, Disable Device +6, Disguise +4, Knowledge (local) +6, Perception +5, Stealth +6, Swim +5, Use Magic Device +4
Languages Aklo, Common, Hallit, Varisian
SQ improvised weapons
Other Gear 150 gp
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Catch Off-Guard Proficient with improvised melee weapons. Unarmed foe is flat-footed against your improvised weapons.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white only).
Improvised Weapons (Ex) Gain Catch Off-Guard and Throw Anything as bonus feats.
Point-Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Sneak Attack (Unchained) +1d6 Attacks deal extra dam if flank foe or if foe is flat-footed.
Throw Anything Proficient with improvised ranged weapons. +1 to hit with thrown splash weapons.