Scion / Deadlands Crossover game idea

Started by HairyHeretic, May 18, 2009, 06:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Phaia on May 24, 2009, 01:45:55 PM
btw how much game system will this be...i tend to perfer freeform and have never really did a game system thread.

System games tend to slow down a little in combat, but aside from that, they're much like freeform. The stats also come in useful for me being able to tell you what the 'orrible tentacled thing bearing down on you is .. if you have a decent occult skill :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Phaia

EEEEKKK 'orrible tentacled thingy....oh wait that might be fun in a weird strange anime like way

Phaia

Phaia

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Character_Generation_in_Scion:_Hero

I was reading this as a guide not sure how effective it is for you and honestly not sure what some it means...though I can make good guesses

Phaia

HairyHeretic

I'll have a glance at it and see. Yep, thats seems fairly solid.

What do you need explained from it?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Phaia

so what works best for a scion for alice...bastet looked good and from what I have read she explores and could easy have scions all over the place...I dont have much on the Loa but it would be fun to play a Voodon mistress **wink**...**sticks a needle into the butt of a monkeygirl voodoo doll**

Could even add in she is a fortune teller as well as card shark

hmm Blonde gypsy type perhaps...from new orleans

as you can see I am open to the scion aspect, since I am not famailar with it

Phaia

Phaia

Phaia

Looks like Legba could work...panda helpled me find a copy of the core rulls to dwonlaod...thanks panda...

Looking at legba in the Loa...not sure if alice fits for him though...i gathered he would tend toward males not females...

I do like combining larceny with intergrity, makes an interesting contract and aspect

Phaia

MadPanda

In all candor, I'm not sure Bast wouldn't work.  She's probably one of the few members of her Pantheon who would deliberately and with mischief aforethought go this far afield.   :-)  But that's really up to Hairy.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

I don't have a problem with Bast, if thats who you want to take Phaia.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanoder

Scion? Wild West? I'm so interested!

Looking through the submissions so far, you seem to be lacking a melee character, so i'll try and work something up. Hermes is a particular draw in that respect. Will you be allowing the Illusion purview from Ragnarok to be assosciated with him in that case?

Phaia

I think Bast fits well with the concept, as i said i can alter it to fit how you need hairy, Legba could work as well and has some interesting aspects, just not sure how they would fit ...suggestions are welcome here

Heck I can alter the idea completely, I do have an idea for an Indian Princess/shaman, as well as one for the Tuatha Dé Dannan

My idea was a sensual, sexy cat buglar, relic theif, rogue with a strength of purpose and character. How that fits in can be changed and altered as needed.

What works for your idea of this?

Phaia

HairyHeretic

Well, I've over 20 years behind the GMs screen, so frankly I can work with just about anything. Whatever the players want to put together in terms of characters, I can handle. Bear in mind the nature of the setting means that you are likely to see a reasonable ammount of combat, possibly with unnatural things, so I'd recommend some combat ability on each character.

The Illusion purview is fine. I have all the books, and the only thing I'm initially saying no to is the WW2 Pantheons, as they're a bit silly. Anything home made, as I long as I get a chance to look it over I'll say yes or no on a case by case basis.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Galanoder

Ok, i'll get to work on a character lickety split. I don't actually have the Companion, so i don't know what might be located in there, but the core books + Ragnarok should give me plenty to work with...

Are you capping starting legend at any particular level? I usually boost it up to 3 to start (and i really want to with this character), but i've heard some STs have players stick it at 2.

Phaia

have to also realize you are adding in Deadlands. Ghost rock is an importnat aspect of that, was wondering how you will fit that in. Bones of some long dead titan? god? I can see how the reckoners could fit into a scion settings, some sort of anicent titan or maybe just a disguise.

Is there still a USA and CSA? the blasted west coast? and the monsters and horror of deadlands?

I can work in melee and combat, after all Alice may not like guns but that does not mean she cant use them. I tend to see Alice as more of a shadow scout type hitting combat from the rear and sides, or trying to lure the enemy into that cavalry unit over at the fort, or into the guns of the posse.
When pushed and backed into a corner though she would fight and be nasty at it.

let me do some more research, I have an idea i created for the deadlands setting i may be able to translate, its has very adult aspects to it. I am also thinking that using Coyote might be interesting...

It would be a Great trick to use a white yellow haired female to correct the problems started by the spirit dancers and the reckoners.

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=The_Anasazi_%28Fan%29  the trickster...

HairyHeretic

Legend 3 is fine.

I will be using the Deadlands background pretty much as is, except it is a titan rather than the reckoners behind things. The big spell was designed to let loose a titan, but it didn't work properly. The titan is still bound, but dreaming, and close to waking. His dreams are what is twisting the world, releasing monsters and so on.

He can communicate with his spawn through the dreams, though not in terms of detailed instructions.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

Companion adds a few new powers, new boons, and new pantheons. I can have a look through it and see if there's anything particularly useful to a melee character after I go take my soak.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 24, 2009, 03:09:33 PM
Well, I've over 20 years behind the GMs screen, so frankly I can work with just about anything. Whatever the players want to put together in terms of characters, I can handle. Bear in mind the nature of the setting means that you are likely to see a reasonable ammount of combat, possibly with unnatural things, so I'd recommend some combat ability on each character.

The Illusion purview is fine. I have all the books, and the only thing I'm initially saying no to is the WW2 Pantheons, as they're a bit silly. Anything home made, as I long as I get a chance to look it over I'll say yes or no on a case by case basis.

I've got an internet source for the Gregori and nephihim and Angels. Can that be used? I think that might fit better than my SCION of Hachiman.

HairyHeretic

Throw me the link and I'll have a look at it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 24, 2009, 04:48:38 PM
Throw me the link and I'll have a look at it.

I don't know if I have the Link but I did save it to my PC in Word. Will dropping it in a PM work?

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Paladin

Ok Hairy Its sent. I sent everything I had. Hope you like some of it. Let me know what you like and don't like.

Muse

Daniel Bruce, Scion of Hephistus. 

Raised in Florida by a hard assed village blacksmith who took discipline and toughening him up a tad bit too far and an abusive mother, the pain of his childhood made him by some miracle all the more caring for the pain of others, and in particular a lover and protector of women. 

He was also known even before awakening for muscles honed at the forge and fists hardened on stone and steel. 

At age seventeen, after defeating his father in a rite of passage fight, Daniel went North to apprentice at a Sears and Robards steam car factory.  He started working the manufacturing floor 13 hours a day, then followed the beautiful rear end of a magnificent blond into Dr. Ferigno's lab, and wound up participating in a discusion on handling with Dr. Ferigno and his brilliant, beautiful assistant, the busty, blue eyed, barely haired beauty Sandra Cinders.  In a paradise of car talk and blond companionship, Daniel passed the night, and found himself with a part time job as Dr. Ferigno's assistant.  Over the next 3 seasons he worked 8 hours a day on the factory floor, and then 4 for Dr. Ferigno.  On the factory floor, he suffered rage issues stemming from his violent childhood that he tried to turn on steel and brick rather than his co-workers, but ultimately a fool who'd already tried to goad him thrice and been divered by the foreman caught him without external athority and stepped up with an insulting snear on his lips. 

Not a single word escaped his lips, before Daniel's fist hit them and a moment later, a pace or so back, he hit the ground.  The fool's face would never be so pretty, or so smug, again.  Daniel washed the blood of his knuckled and went back to work. 

The next day the plant manager called him up for a game of pool, after which he was congratulated on a damned mean right cross, offered a drink, formaly fired, and left with a strong suggestion that he go see doctor Ferigno. 

The good doctor was chuckling from under an engine, though his assistant was rather distraught from where she was working on her plans.  "Ah, Mr. Daniels, good, good.  Took us long enough to get you off of that factory floor.  Your contract is on the table.  12 hours a day at aprentice sallary.  Even without a university education I'm sure at the rate you've been learning I'll be wiring Mr. Hellstrom about getting you a journeyman salary in a few years.   Now get me a ratchet wrench and a 7 ounce chunk of ghostrock." 

Daniel froze for a moment, sure his ears, damaged by years at the forge and on the line, where lying to him, then he met Miss Cinder's happy smile in a face pale with recently shed tears, grinded wildly, and replied, "Sure thing, boss," as he tied back his hair. 

It was a half year of happily discovering exactly what his back country brain were truly capable of that he discovered the dark side of the factory, the deepest basemet where the shambling corpses worked the foundries, and why the normally cheery and affectionate within the boundries of propriety Miss Cinder would burst into quite, unexpected tears every few months, her brothers corpse enslaved in the foundry. 

"It's the stupidest thing, isn't it, Mr. Bruce," she whispered in his arms one evening when Daniel had carried her into a back office and held her through a crying fit.  "That bastard Hellstrom tortured my parents to death when they wouldn't work for him, and then held my brother hostage down in his foundry so just to squeeze a bit of work out of me.  Two years later i discover he's been dead along, just a dead man walking, and I still can't leave here while he's down there." 

Daniel dreamed for the next thirteen days of having the courage to be the one man army that would cut through that nightmare cavern of a foundry to steal a walking corpse and dash away with it and the girl.  Every night, he dreamed of the sword he would do it with. 

On the fourteenth day, tears poured from Sandra's blue eyes again, and Daniel new what he was going to do.  He took her back and held her while she cried, but this time, after he kissed her tears away, he didn't kiss her forehead, he kissed her lips with strength and passion, until the older woman's breath caught in her throat and her heart hammered in her breast.  First she froze, then she struggled, but he held her close.  She beat his breast, then she stopped, going limp in his arms as her lips responded to his.  For a moment, she moaned weakly as her lips responded tenatvly.  All at once the blond gasped and squeezed his waist and joined her lips to Bruce's deserpatly. 

A few joyful moments later Bruce unlocked her arms and broke the kiss.  He spoke huskily, "Never cry again, Miss Cinders, I'm going to take care of you."  He left her then and went to work in his shop.  For three weeks he worked in his part time, late into the night, 'til everything was ready, everything but the sword. 

The sword he'd dreamed off and seen so clearly 'til the moment he kissed Miss Cinder, Bruce could no longer remember but a fuzzy steel blurr with a silver heart.  What was its name again? 

The swords he tried were failures, in the end he took with his guns and tricks a few knives and a sledgehammer. 

Slipping in after hours, he slipped, then fought his way down to the bottom, then fought his way through the the hungry undead.  Their guards came out with their gun hands and their axes.  At first they could not slow the armored colusus, but when he spotted the zombie he came for at the back of the crowd and tried to fight to it, the undead pulled him down, teeth and claws ripping and tearing through his armor to feed. 

Struggling desperately to get up, he heard a voice, familiar and not.  "Get up, son.  I'm here with you, and I brought your sword, I brought Silver Heart.  Since I've been at my forge working it for you since you dreamed the ore." 

"What, father, your...  Your not...  You're..." 

"Get up, son!" 

Bruce growled, that was not his father's voice, but it was a challange he'd rissen too before, and his blood was on fire with strength and power.  Arms thicker than most men's legs flexed and zombies flew in all directions, over and over, and then the newly awakened Scion was on his feet with the awakening ichor still a fire greater than any liquor and many women still burning in his viens. 

The great bare of a man with the twisted legs supported by clockwork cyclopes bellowed in glee, "That's my boy," and he tossed to Bruce a great hand and a half bastard sword, which he drew and cleaved into the dead with strength indescribable, 'til he reached the one zombie he'd come here for and hesitated for a crucial moment trying to find how to incipacitate it without defiling it too badly for the funeral.  In that moment the zombie of Jeffry Cinder threw itself on his sword, piercin him to the heart while other walking dead closed in all around. 

Bruce clicked a stud as he turned away, drawing with one hand a silver gladius from within the blade of the long, broad steel sword.  He turned clear around to cleave off his lady love's head.  Hephistus left his own battles with the zombies to bag the head, then Bruce reached him and he had a clockwork cyclops release him to carry it.  They dashed wildly up and out of the factory to where Bruce had packed a cycle with side car and ghost rock engine.  The god handed him a bag.  "You'll need these son.  We don't have long.  You've got to be careful when you use Ghost Rock, it's a pwoerful tool, but that screaming smoke is the souls of the damned being released to spread fear throughout the world.  The titan ______ was half released by an indian magician named Raven who thoght that old monster would drive the White Men back over the sea if he got free.  But the titans aren't like that, they only want this world to torture and ultimatly destroy, and _____ is all about fear, it's his tool, in the end it will break his chains if you and the rest of the children of the gods don't teach the mortal world some courage while we gods fight our own fight in our own world." 

"Um...  Okay, I think I've got that, as much as I can hope to...  Um...  Dad.  You're hephistus, right?  And i really am your son?" 

"Flesh of my flesh, blood of my blood, by a mortal woman as beautiful as she was intelegent, and that burning in your blood right now is my blood awakening within you, the strength you feel now will never leave you, only grow." 

"Then why not her, why the man you left me with and, em..." 

Hephistus shook his head.  "Sorry, Bruce.  I know the woman I left you for a mother was a bitch to make Hera's proud on her worst days and look in a mirror with disgust on her best, it was the foster father I chose them for.  I didn't have the time to raise you myself, and I knew you were going to need some skills.  More importantly, I knew you needed to be strong in every sense of the word.  I have some personal experience with how the right kind of tough old bastard can make the right kind of son strong in all the right ways.  I apologise for what you had to go through to become the man you are today, but for what it's worth I'm very proud of the man you are.  Now go find the girl you did all this insanity for and make her scream in eccstacy.  There's still a few hours 'til sunrise, take your time, if I find out you had any satsifaction before sunrise, or that she hasn't screamed in eccstacy at least a baker's dozen times by sunset, I'll sick Aphrodyte on you, I swear it!" 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Phaia

great post Muse and great encouragement... so here goes my updated and changed character:

Alexandra Catherina Moorland
Scion of Bastet
Magic and relic hunter
Virtue of Vengeance and conviction
Nature: Rogue

Lord Richard Moorland was the youngest son, and N’er-do-well, of an English baron. Lord Richard traveled the world having adventures and gambling, meeting all sorts of ‘folks’ and building contacts from Bombay to New York. It was while in Egypt that he had what would become his biggest adventure and gamble.
Playing in a high stakes card game Richard became aware of the ancient relics being offered to cover the bets. Though most thought that he had no idea of honor, Richard in fact had a very strong sense of conviction and used his card skills to claim as many of the relics as he could. Leaving the Russian lord and his servants in disarray he fled the city carrying the items deep into the desert in hopes of returning them somehow.
Alone and near death one night a woman walked out of dunes to stand over him, cat headed and beautiful. Richard, who knew things, realized he was in the present of Bastet. Thinking he was dead he offered the items and just requested his family be told of his efforts.
A week later Richard awoke in Cairo dazed, half remembered nights of passion and healing in his head.
Some months past as Richard rebuilt his stake and was about to leave the lands of the pharaohs, when at dawn Bastet again appeared to him. Handing him a new born baby girl, wrapped in cotton, golden hair and pale skin, “this is your Daughter, raise her well, teach her your skills and values, she can walk places the children of the pharaohs cannot, one day I will come for her and teach her what her bloodline can do… till then, my knight, watch over her and love her as I do.”
With that the Queen of the cats, goddess Bastet vanished, leaving behind the stunned gentleman and the now awake baby girl in his arms.

So began the life of Alexandra, “ally” or “kitten” to her father, “Alex” to most others. Traveling the world she learned at her father’s elbow, cards and other games, how to read a person by his ticks and quirks. How honor and conviction were as important as the bluff.
As they travelled Lord Richard became well known among those that were true poker players. Building contacts from Bombay to New York, winning, lossing ... living Life.

Alex learned many things while traveling, she spoke and read several languages, learned all about the fences and con men that traveled in the same circles her father did and how to tell the good from the bad. On one trip she learned to fight in a strange style part dance part art, taught to her by an aged black servant that claimed to owe her mother, capoeira helped her train her body as well as her mind and lift with dance. She learned her father took a dim view on cheaters, even though he could have shown them all up, it was after all skill and luck that won a hand not cheating. She watched as he used his skills to sew vengeance on those he deemed deserving and helped those in need.
Rules often just got in the way and were oft times ignored as long as the ‘righteousness’ of the action was proper.

Alex and her father had traveled to the new world and were on a river boat when she turned 16. It was there that everything came apart. Three men at a table became convinced her father had cheated, drunk, they had lost their money, the ghost rock they carried and their pride and before anyone could react all three attacked Lord Richard, killing him in front of Alex. Grabbing the sobbing girl as they fought their way from the boat they plunged into the deep river and swam dragging her along. Reaching the shore they each took their turn with the girl and left not thinking any more on the subject.

Alex survived and woke filled with a fire deep and powerful. Making her way back to the river boat she gathered up what remained of the family wealth and set out. It took her 18 months to find each of the three men. Using abilities she barely recognized, she killed the first, with a knife in the back, as he left a brothel in New Orleans. The second she tracked to a cattle drive near Kansas City, leaving him hanging at the end of a rope. The third was the roughest, she allowed herself to again be in his hands, to be ravaged by him, this time she was ready and as he thrust into her, she drove her hair needles into each eye, fighting to survive as her tried to straggle her till his breath stilled. Finally rolling over, covered in the man’s blood with part of him still thrust deep into her, she felt a freedom and stillness then nearly jumped as the woman’s voice spoke.

“Well done my daughter, I see that you have already begun to learn what are your birthright and the power that goes with it. I am called Bastet and am your mother and come to teach you”

Alex left and by the time she was 18, she was in Egypt. Learning at her mother’s side, she began to understand things. She came to see the world and the conflict and though she felt proud to be Bastet’s daughter she also came to realize how staid and closed off most of the Egyptian gods were.
Her mother gifted her with a fan, called Fan of the sun, made for her when she was in Japan and part of set, the other ‘Fan of the Moon’ had been stolen from another of her children. That and a locket of a golden cat that both helped her talk to the cats as well as move as silent as one. The final gift before she left was deck of tarot cards, for like her mother, Alex had the gift of Prophecy and could see things using the cards.
Heading back to the new world with instructions to watch and help the mortals for the unnamed titan that had tricked the natives, though dreaming was influencing and forcing things. It was her duty to stop it and to stop the spread of unholy magic and find the relics lost and stolen and in the hands of those unworthy.

Along the way Alex took a few lovers and began to enjoy sex and the pleasure it gave, ready to jump fully into learning about it, her curiosity nearly overwhelming her good sense.

So she had headed back to the new world. A world filled with conflict and danger. North vers South, Indian vers the white man, fear and horror stalking all and as she stood on the docks of New Orleans , now the age of 22, she knew she was ready for the biggest gamble yet...that of being a scion.