News:

Main Menu

Mortality.

Started by Ajoxer, February 21, 2006, 09:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajoxer

I've never quite understood why people find the idea of living forever unpleasant. The world seems to be so full of such endless beauty, that if one can keep their mind open, I see no reason why a finite mind should not be capable of appreciating their lives for an eternity. Every day finding new things, revisiting old ones that have long been forgotten, finding joy in each new achievement, and each old one that you'd forgotten you can do...

The foolishness of youth. Ah wel.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Ajoxer

And... My mind moves from hope and defiance against entropy, the surety that we will be able to overcome death... And the dark depths of wondering what's the point, if living and the pain we go through daily is actually worth it.

But I think too much. ^_^
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

indarkestknight

Quote from: Ajoxer on February 21, 2006, 09:00:48 PM
I've never quite understood why people find the idea of living forever unpleasant. The world seems to be so full of such endless beauty, that if one can keep their mind open, I see no reason why a finite mind should not be capable of appreciating their lives for an eternity. Every day finding new things, revisiting old ones that have long been forgotten, finding joy in each new achievement, and each old one that you'd forgotten you can do...

The foolishness of youth. Ah wel.

If everyone could live forever? Maybe. But consider a few things. Immorality- it does not imply eternal youth. About somewhere into your second century, your body would likely be so decrepid that you'd be rendered incapable of doing anything yourself. That aside, and assuminig not everyone lives forever. How much pain, do you think, you would suffer if the person you loved most died? And then it happened again. And again. And again. And so on, into eternity. Madness. As for the beauty of the world around, I fear we will destroy it all to handily in a short period of time.

ZK

I believe it's more of a fear of living an uneventful life then it is of actual dying. To die accomplish nothing would make you less then half a person. Thus, their desire to be immortal. Enough time to actually accomplish things.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Lilac

Quote from: Glabrezubane on February 21, 2006, 11:13:58 PM
If everyone could live forever? Maybe. But consider a few things. Immorality- it does not imply eternal youth. About somewhere into your second century, your body would likely be so decrepid that you'd be rendered incapable of doing anything yourself. That aside, and assuminig not everyone lives forever. How much pain, do you think, you would suffer if the person you loved most died? And then it happened again. And again. And again. And so on, into eternity. Madness. As for the beauty of the world around, I fear we will destroy it all to handily in a short period of time.

The 'seven causes of death' are exactly those deteriorations.  The causes of diabetes, cancer, arthritis, alzheimer's, and so on.  One requires the other.

People don't die of old age, they die of one of the numerous disabilities that kick in because of old age.

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: Glabrezubane on February 21, 2006, 11:13:58 PM

Ever see the movie The Hunger vampires did live forever pretty much but at some point age caught them and spent Eternity in a box- that is a very disturbing idea.

For me I'd rather die before I get too old or get sick but peacefully maybe at around 60 or so. Plus there would be a huge population problem. And what about poor people in third world countries I would not want to live poor and all for all time. Hell if i was forced to be homeless I'l likely kill myself. I won't live like those people that live in such squalor I have some dignity I'd favor going out on my terms in that case.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Lilian

strenoth

I'm all for immortality myself. I like living. :)
Sexual Orientation: Straight
BDSM Orientation: Switch
Sexual Limitations: Site limits, no male-on-male

Elvi

We are all immortal until we die, so what the hell are we worrying about?
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Lilian

We are more or less immortal past death, too.

Celestial Goblin

Personally, i like the idea of immortality a lot, as long as i can retain acceptable physical and psychical condition.
I'm not afraid of getting up every day, so why would i be afraid of doing it more than an average lifespan?
Of course it there's something past death, it could just be the better world so many dream about.

Ajoxer

I personally favor reincarnation- Heaven might get boring, after all. I want the glorious highs, the crushing lows! The shadows just make the light brighter.