News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Computer for casual to medium gaming?

Started by Host of Seraphim, July 15, 2010, 02:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Host of Seraphim

[D'OH I totally should have posted this in Computer Problems! Sorry!] [Oh hey, it was moved. Thanks, mod!]

I'm looking to get a new tower. The one I have is several years old, and my dad almost has a heart attack every time he uses it because it freezes so much. We've been putting off getting one for a while because we're kinda strapped for cash, but my dad's at the point where I'm afraid he'll punch a hole through my monitor (which is fairly new and huge and lovely!) if he has to put up with this tower anymore.

I'm not looking for anything especially fancy, just something that will get the job done and be able to play games okay. With my current computer, I can only play games that are around ten years old. I mean, I can't even play some of the simplest point-and-click games that come out nowadays.

I'm not looking to play MMORPGs, and I'm not looking to play with the absolute highest quality to get the maximum FPS. I'd just like to be able to see a game and know that my computer could play it if I wanted it to.  :-) Hell, it'd just be great to be able to play games that have been made after 2001.

Oh, wait. There is one specific game I've been wanting to play for years. Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. The Longest Journey is one of my all-time favorite point and click adventure games, and I really want to play the sequel. I was crushed when I realized my puny graphics card couldn't handle it.  :'( Here are the requirements for Dreamfall.

I don't know anything at all about RAM, graphics cards, derp, derpy derp. So far my dad has his eyes on the Inspiron 570, the one in the middle here. Would that be the best choice for what I'm looking for? Would it play Dreamfall? *desperate look*

Thanks for reading, and I hope to get an answer from someone far more technically savvy than me! Also, if you have any tips for transitioning to Windows 7 for someone who's been using XP for, uh, forever, feel free to share those as well. Don't tell me to buy a Mac because I won't listen.  ;D
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Soran

Hi there, yes, the Inspiron 570 should easily play this game. Sometimes windows 7 doesn't always play xp games, but you can download virtual pc with xp so you should be okay. The only thing I'm wary of is you only have onboard graphics, at least I couldn't see a graphics card included, but you should be able to play Dreamfall easily enough. I hope that helps :)

***edit** after another look the onboard graphics are fine :)

Host of Seraphim

Thanks!  :-) I'll probably be able to fiddle around enough to make older games work. I'm pretty good with making software work, it's the... tangible parts of the computer that confuse me, ha.
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Soran