What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Mikem on April 12, 2015, 08:45:53 PM
It appears here in the U.S. of A., Hilary Clinton is announcing her running for the Presidency. I for one welcome our country's first possible Female Overlord. Not to mention I heard she's pretty darn good at politics, having been a prior Secretary of State and all.

Though I have a feeling the whole Republican party and it's supporters will do anything it takes to keep her from winning.

Don't think she really has a chance.  At the very least, the age card will be put on her. She'd be the 2nd oldest person to take office if she wins. I confess that I don't trust her at all. Haven't since she did the 'NAFTA will only elongate a few low paying blue collar jobs' thing with her husband. Plus, like almost every GOP candidate, she's to party line focused. I like to see someone who's isn't the party way or the highway in outlook.

Dashenka

I heard one of the Republican candidates believe that in the Netherlands, older people wear a bracelet saying: Please don't euthanize me.

Would love to see one of those imbeciles running for President of the (alledgedly) most powerful nation on the planet. That would be hysterical.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Ebb

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 13, 2015, 05:43:57 AM
Don't think she really has a chance.  At the very least, the age card will be put on her. She'd be the 2nd oldest person to take office if she wins. I confess that I don't trust her at all. Haven't since she did the 'NAFTA will only elongate a few low paying blue collar jobs' thing with her husband. Plus, like almost every GOP candidate, she's to party line focused. I like to see someone who's isn't the party way or the highway in outlook.

Most of the professional oddsmakers seem to disagree with you: http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner

Not about your dislike, of course, but about Clinton's odds. She's at 11-10, while the most likely Republican candidate, Jeb Bush, is at 4-1. Leaving aside the question of whether Clinton would be a good president, it's a fact that she doesn't have any strong opposition in the Democratic primary. I don't see Martin O'Malley making much of a splash, and there aren't too many others even expressing interest. And Democrats still have a pronounced advantage demographically in the electoral college for the main election.

I think the Republican primaries will be fun to watch this year, though.

Lustful Bride

I have honestly stopped caring about parties and candidates, their all lying politicians. I just wait to see their own stand on individual subjects and matters before I vote.  :P

Yukina

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 13, 2015, 07:42:07 AM
I have honestly stopped caring about parties and candidates, their all lying politicians. I just wait to see their own stand on individual subjects and matters before I vote.  :P

*joins the club* Voting to me just feels like I'm picking the lesser of two evils (if I don't count the fact that large companies will screw up the government anyway).

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Yugishogun on April 13, 2015, 08:00:14 AM
*joins the club* Voting to me just feels like I'm picking the lesser of two evils (if I don't count the fact that large companies will screw up the government anyway).

Its the only sane way to vote. Especially since ive been in DC and seen them walking around. like 80% of them are all assholes and the other 20% are either nice but don't speak up or just don't give a shit.

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 13, 2015, 08:58:53 AM
Its the only sane way to vote. Especially since ive been in DC and seen them walking around. like 80% of them are all assholes and the other 20% are either nice but don't speak up or just don't give a shit.

And then there's Bernie Sanders- If he'd run for POTUS, he'd have my vote.  (Or even if I just lived in Vermont.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Yukina

Quote from: Oniya on April 13, 2015, 09:14:34 AM
And then there's Bernie Sanders- If he'd run for POTUS, he'd have my vote.  (Or even if I just lived in Vermont.)

Browsing the page, I second that emotion.

Ebb

Given our current political process and the slate of candidates available, apathy is a very understandable choice. However, even if you're not interested in following the elections as a spectator sport, it's worth noting that whoever gains the White House in 2016 will probably have the power to appoint at least two Supreme Court justices over the course of their term, given the age and state of health of the current Court members. If that's a Republican, then it becomes very likely that the balance of the Court will swing to the conservative side pretty hard, which will actually affect your day-to-day life (if you live in the US) in much more profound ways than most of the bills that get through Congress.

So even if you (the generic you) decide to tune out until November 2016, it's still worth a trip to the polls even if that's the only issue that you care about. In the next eight years it's very likely that the Court will rule on a number of issues which are probably important to many Elliquiy members, include same-sex marriage, abortion rights, net neutrality, campaign finance reform (pretty much the only way to improve the lousy system we have right now), gerrymandering (the other big thorn in the side of the present system), immigration amnesty, EPA authority over climate change, the conflict between state and federal drug laws, and dozens more.

Yukina

Agreed, Ebb. Even if I feel so apathetic about politics, I know it's still important to vote in the end.

Lustful Bride

Apparently the Boston Bomber's mother claims her sons are innocent and that The US shall pay for this.

I know these are her sons, but if they were my children who had committed such an act of murder and evil the only thing I would say about it would be "Those aren't my sons. Those aren't the babies who I raised and loved, their just monsters who look like them.'

http://www.inquisitr.com/2005991/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-u-s-will-pay-2/

Deamonbane

Is there some kind of minimum in US elections, like if the number of people actually voting goes below a certain percentage of the population, will there be some kind of reboot, getting rid of the condidates and putting up new ones? Something like that?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Dimir

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 13, 2015, 10:43:02 AM
Apparently the Boston Bomber's mother claims her sons are innocent and that The US shall pay for this.

I know these are her sons, but if they were my children who had committed such an act of murder and evil the only thing I would say about it would be "Those aren't my sons. Those aren't the babies who I raised and loved, their just monsters who look like them.'

Agreed completely, in the event I ever have children I would raise them with the intent to be productive members of society and to obey the law. If they ever did something like this then I would blame themselves for doing it and not try to defend them.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Gypsy

Lovely idea, Deamonbane -- but no. 

It would never happen anyway, given the media-and-money machine that US elections are.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

Zakharra

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 13, 2015, 10:43:02 AM

Wow. She seriously believes that. Just.. wow. That lady is nuts. I agree with you Lustful Bride,. if my children did something like that. I would feel much the same way you are saying. I do my best to raise my children to be decent and loving, not murderous terrorists.

Joel

Quote from: Lustful Bride on April 12, 2015, 11:14:20 AM
But still, most of the ones about Putin are positive, so youd think hed love it.

wait a minute... does putin get 'driven' to work basically by his mama bear?

Mikem

Quote from: Yugishogun on April 13, 2015, 08:00:14 AM

And my solution for what you just stated? Vote for the third party. I voted for Gary Johnson back in 2012, the Libertarian candidate. He got a full 1% of the vote, but hey, at least I was one of the over one million people that voted for him. It's obvious that a very large percentage of people think of the elections as "voting for the lesser of two evils", but they don't fully grasp that there's a third option. (plus the other third party candidates) If just enough of these people voted for someone else and not their go to party, then we'd have a new President that wasn't part of the, in my opinion the horrible two party system.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Deamonbane

Aren't the Libertarians an offshoot of the Republicans?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 13, 2015, 02:43:08 PM

Sort of. Modern republicans may have a rhetoric of small government, but they tend not to apply it everywhere. They do for example tend to favour government involvement in certain things, such as educational programs and in some cases marriage law, as well as favouring military intervention in certain foreign situations. True Libertarians would be against that, they stand for a castrated government, and apply those standard to every area of its function.

Mikem

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 13, 2015, 02:43:08 PM

Johnson's platform in 2012 was, "Fiscally Conservative, Socially Liberal". He believed in small Government which he did while he was Governor of New Mexico, and apparently he was an amazing Governor. He also believes that people have the right to do whatever they want in their personal lives, as long as it doesn't interfere with society. Libertarian is technically a form of Republican, but everything that I heard from watching his interviews and speeches were great "in the middle" ideas. He may run again this year.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Oniya

I don't vote 'party line' - if I saw a Republican candidate that acted like a lot of the Republicans that I've met here on E (many of whom are fed up with the antics of the 'official' Republican party), then I'd vote for them.  When the hats are all in the ring, I'm going to look at where everyone stands, and find the one closest to where I stand.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dimir

Quote from: Oniya on April 13, 2015, 04:00:04 PM
I don't vote 'party line' - if I saw a Republican candidate that acted like a lot of the Republicans that I've met here on E (many of whom are fed up with the antics of the 'official' Republican party), then I'd vote for them.  When the hats are all in the ring, I'm going to look at where everyone stands, and find the one closest to where I stand.

The same with me, only for my political parties here in Canada (NDP, Liberal and Conservatives). I fear that at least some voters just vote for the candidate's political affiliation and know very little to nothing about their viewpoints and aspirations.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Deamonbane

Around here we have 32 Political parties.... technically, each and every one of them can set up a candidate for all elected positions of government, but usually they end up forming alliances (And sometimes some parties are created by other parties) and there are usually four-6 Presidential candidates.

Oh and voting is mandatory.

Mikem

Quote from: Oniya on April 13, 2015, 04:00:04 PM

I agree. That is the best way to vote for an official. Party affiliation should have nothing to do with it. That's why I voted for Johnson last time, even though I'm not a Libertarian. (I guess I'm an independent) But it's still unfortunate that in reality the majority of voters still only vote for the party, and not the candidate. That's why with every election the Democrats and Republicans are always half and half with one of them just slightly in the lead. America is a country of Sheeple.

My Ons & Offs

Joel

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 13, 2015, 05:07:41 PM
Around here we have 32 Political parties.... technically, each and every one of them can set up a candidate for all elected positions of government, but usually they end up forming alliances (And sometimes some parties are created by other parties) and there are usually four-6 Presidential candidates.

Oh and voting is mandatory.

>_> australian?