What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HunterBlackLuna

Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I know the game is good, I really do know it... but I don't have fun playing it. It takes ten minutes to run anywhere, when I get there I die instantly... for some reason, in that game, I just did horrible, so I ended up letting it go after a very short time. It's a shame because I watch other people play on Youtube and whatnot and it looks great, but... eh.

Call of Duty: Black Ops. I really liked Modern Warfare 1 and 2, didn't play World at War. Figured Treyarch wasn't bad, didn't deserve some of the flack it got. Played Black Ops. Loved the campaign mostly, although the continuing fixation with making everything so gritty and gray that you hate yourself is annoying. Yes, in Modern Warfare, the good guys did bad things.. hell, in the second one, it outright shows buildup to torturing a bad guy. But you still knew who was good and who was bad. I haven't finished the campaign, even now, but that's not really because I hated it.

The multiplayer makes me angry. I'm awful at it, and I'm not sure how much of that is my lack of skill and how much is game design or balance. It just seems like twitch-reflexes are the only thing that ever matter. Even when I know someone's coming, crouching, aiming down my sights, ready the instant he appears.... he always, one hundred times out of one hundred, casually rapes me and then moves on like it was nothing. He can be sprinting dead-out and kill me before I can even fire.

Eventually I just had to tell myself 'Enough. I'm done.' You can tell a whole lot of people made a similar choice, too; last I heard, 500-700,000 played online regularly compared with literally millions I saw on launch day. Now, that's still hellishly impressive, but Modern Warfare 2's still hanging on with an average of at least 50,000 playing still.

Armada 2526. Bought this game with the Impulse client and... it's like a markedly inferior version of other games I could be playing, such as Sword of the Stars, Sins of a Solar Empire, Galactic Civilizations 2.... It has the whiff of an indie title about it but that doesn't excuse it.

Inkidu

I'll never play Civ 5 on god level again. Big mistake. Back to prince for me.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on January 09, 2011, 06:34:33 PM
I'll never play Civ 5 on god level again. Big mistake. Back to prince for me.

I can't stand that game on anything above ... what, the third difficulty level? I'm peacefully minding my own business, and suddenly this evil neighbor of mine goes HAHA I WAS JUST LEAVING YOU ALONE SO I COULD BUILD UP MY ARMIES AND CRUSH YOU.

And I'm like ... :(

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on January 10, 2011, 11:06:45 AM
I can't stand that game on anything above ... what, the third difficulty level? I'm peacefully minding my own business, and suddenly this evil neighbor of mine goes HAHA I WAS JUST LEAVING YOU ALONE SO I COULD BUILD UP MY ARMIES AND CRUSH YOU.

And I'm like ... :(
Sure you walk softly, but where is your big stick? I often have several clusters of units (I call them teams) stationed at what I think are key attack points. Usually an archer with a spear unit and two warriors (in the early game so at most I need is two teams) with mobile mounted units (again for the early game) running on a well-developed road system.

Unless I'm the evil neighbor then they're all slowly marching through my enemy's land with siege weapons in tow. I usually keep a team in home defense.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

LunarSage

City of Heroes.

I played it for like 4 years and it got so old and repetitive.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on January 10, 2011, 06:41:14 PM
City of Heroes.

I seem to get that a lot with MMO games. I think they try to hard to standardize it so much that only the tiniest sliver of accomplishment can be gained.

Bayushi

Quote from: LunarSage on January 10, 2011, 06:41:14 PMCity of Heroes.

I used to play CoX.

When I finished leveling my fifth 50, I said enough.

Though I liked the RP. Far more RP in CoX than on WoW's RP realms.

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Bayushi

Quote from: Wyrd on January 11, 2011, 04:56:24 PMCoX?

Term used to replace CoH (City of Heroes) and CoV (City of Villains), two sides of the same MMO. They're sold separately, and neither requires the other. Though you CAN purchase them in a combo package, as I did.

So, instead of CoH/V, it's referred to as CoX.

Wyrd

Ah. Mr Wyrd and MMO don't work. Bought wow after being talked into it be a friend got up 40 and stopped for a little while. Just can't seem to find and good RP or anything interesting to do. And I'm not gonna waste my time with the actual game play. It's WoW. not a real game or anything.
Ragtime Dandies!

Bayushi

Quote from: Wyrd on January 11, 2011, 08:43:17 PMAh. Mr and MMO don't work. Bought wow after being talked into it be a friend got up 40 and stopped for a little while. Just can;t seem to find and good RP. And I'm gonna wante my time with the actual game play. It's WoW. not a real game or anything.

Some people call those such as yourself, "Not a real game" types, as casual gamers.

I prefer the term "Bad".

Not everyone is good at a game like WoW, which is hardly the most difficult of games. At least, until you get to endgame.

Have fun.

Wyrd

Have fun? Don't need to sound so condescending. I never said it was hard or anything either. I may have gotten carried away when I said "Not a real game", But what does it matter to you? I play games to have fun, not to grind for weeks on end trying to snag the best gear and collect a bunch of bandannas from a merc party and give them to some farmer for reason no one cares about. If you can't say anything constructive and give me that then maybe you should not say anything at all. If not liking MMO makes me a bad gamer in your opinion that I don't give two shits.

Have Fun
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Wyrd and Akiko. This is not the place to argue with someone over why they think a game is or isn't fun. That doesn't make them a bad gamer. This is a thread to relieve frustration, guilt, or anger at what the poster believes is a bad game, with careful no-ranting words. I don't care if millions of people play W.O.W. or if ten do.

Personally I see some validity in what MMORPGs try to do; and I think they fail at it every time. That's not to say MMORPG players are bad. I'm inclined to agree with Wyrd. I do think that any number of well-trained lesser primates can successfully play an MMORPG. I believe they are bland grinds that are not designed for interactive experience but are crafted to milk precious monthly payments from millions of people worldwide.

However, you cannot say one person is bad because they can't or won't play one type of game. Long gone are the days of gamer commonality where everyone owned Mario, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, and a slew of other classic games. You cannot call them hardcore or casual. Many people forgo MMORPGs to play hours on end of Halo. Does that make them bad gamers? No.

The game industry is more akin to the musical one these days. Sure a few artists are pure to a genre. AC/DC, The Beatles, etc. You cannot say one music is better than the other just because. They both have merits and the gamer-verse is a multifaceted spectrum of many different elements, genres, and styles.

I would never have fun playing an MMORPG because I think they're steps behind some last generation games, but I have logged three days worth of hours on Dead Space impossible difficulty. That's a game that is considered physically and emotionally taxing. Can you say the same? But I don't throw around words like bad, only different. Because I think MMORPGs are bad does not mean I think people who play them are bad.

I don't care if you come in to this thread and just say, "This game sucks!" Sure we'd all like to why, but it's not necessary. I know firsthand, and understand there is going to be bitterness and animosity for games we all regret buying or playing. Take it out on the game not the people. I do not want any members of this fine site condescending (accidentally or otherwise) to other players when they have reasons for not playing a specific game type.   

Otherwise, I'm going to have to make another huge long soap-boxy speech.

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on January 12, 2011, 06:51:12 PM
This is not the place to argue with someone over why they think a game is or isn't fun. That doesn't make them a bad gamer. This is a thread to relieve frustration, guilt, or anger at what the poster believes is a bad game, with careful no-ranting words.

+42

I tried an MMO once - the jump function was so bollixed that I couldn't get past the tutorial for it.  Even though I'm the sort of person that enjoys fetch-quests, that sort of experience is something I can get offline.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LunarSage

Quote from: Wyrd on January 11, 2011, 08:43:17 PMIt's WoW. not a real game or anything.

*Points out that a lot of folks might find this part offensive*

I realize it's the internet and tone can't be properly conveyed half the time, but please try and keep in mind how things said can be taken by others.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on January 12, 2011, 07:32:23 PM
*Points out that a lot of folks might find this part offensive*

I realize it's the internet and tone can't be properly conveyed half the time, but please try and keep in mind how things said can be taken by others.
I wholeheartedly agree. People might find it offensive. However, (my own dislike for MMOs aside) I can't make him like the game. If he's not insulting another human being I'm sure that's not overboard in the list of insults for a game.

I could make the same insinuation about Final Fantasy XIII. As long as I'm not insulting players of the game it's well within my right.
It's like someone saying rap isn't real music? Are they right or wrong? Doesn't matter. They just don't care for the genre.

My kind of MMO is not what's on the market. I saw one being projected a few years ago and it didn't seem to make the cut. It would kind of be like Zelda. Lots of exploring and real time, non-stat-based game play. Closer to Oblivion than Diablo. I think the internet is becoming more stable so it could be done, but it's not what milks monthly fees. It would be a much more organic and unboxy experience.

Wyrd

I already said I was over doing when I said that :P. I think this thread can move on and talk about what this is really about instead of complaining about some faceless person from the web said about a video game. Incase any body forgot, this is not a thread to speak about the good points of games games.
Ragtime Dandies!

Bayushi

Quote from: Inkidu on January 13, 2011, 07:26:31 PMI could make the same insinuation about Final Fantasy XIII. As long as I'm not insulting players of the game it's well within my right.
It's like someone saying rap isn't real music? Are they right or wrong? Doesn't matter. They just don't care for the genre.

I consistently hear people who really just are THAT BAD at World of Warcraft (notice I did not say ALL games, don't put words in my mouth, thank you!) who whine claiming that WoW really isn't an MMO.

Not to mention the thousands of forum posts on the official forum (for the game) about what inane change (or lack of) that is making them quit. Those of us who enjoy the game don't care. Keep it to your ****ing self.

So let's say that I've been conditioned, in a sense, by these people elsewhere. I don't play on Elliquiy so I can hear it here, too.

Okay, you don't like WoW. That's nice. Move along.

Wyrd

Quote from: Akiko on January 14, 2011, 12:57:36 AM
Okay, you don't like WoW. That's nice. Move along.

We were trying. I thought we were finished with this. Again, this is a thread to speak out if games that we don't like, I don't like WoW. If you don't want top hear it, don't look at the bloody thread!
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Vampire Rain is kind of working its way to my "never again" list. I picked it up for 4 bucks so I'm not too crushed.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Inkidu on January 19, 2011, 05:45:03 PM
Vampire Rain is kind of working its way to my "never again" list. I picked it up for 4 bucks so I'm not too crushed.
You should've been paid money to play that game, it really is pretty terrible.

Personally I'm never touching H.A.W.X 2 ever again. For all the flak people gave the first game it was actually pretty competent arcade flight game, not better than Ace Combat by any stretch of the imagination but certainly a passable distraction.
The sequel, on the other hand, is probably the worst game I've played since what ever the last awful game I played was. Serious disappointment all around really.

Hemingway

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on February 11, 2011, 01:05:09 AM
You should've been paid money to play that game, it really is pretty terrible.

Personally I'm never touching H.A.W.X 2 ever again. For all the flak people gave the first game it was actually pretty competent arcade flight game, not better than Ace Combat by any stretch of the imagination but certainly a passable distraction.
The sequel, on the other hand, is probably the worst game I've played since what ever the last awful game I played was. Serious disappointment all around really.

I've been considering getting HAWX2, so I'd be curious to know what makes you say that. I thought the first game was quite entertaining, so how is the second one different?

CmdrRenegade

I might as well just say, any game that relies on multiplayer for replay value.  It's not because I don't think the games would be fun.  I'm just sick of these games having such short cycles before being replaced by something else, Call of Duty being the worst offender. 
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Shjade

Two bits. First:
Quote from: Inkidu on November 30, 2010, 09:53:52 PM
I think the Japanese gaming market is on a downward slide in the west. ... Every one of those items in that chart were true.

Mysterious swordsman.

Is there any chance he's your father?

Yes.

He's your father.

No.

He's your father.
My first thought: Auron of FFX. Practically the poster-boy for mysterious swordsmen. Is he your father? No.
Second thought: Sephiroth of FFVII. Pretty-boy mysterious swordsman. Is he your father? No.

The trouble with these "clever" jokes about various game genres is they're believed by people who already don't play or like the games. It's preaching to the choir in the silliest way possible.

This isn't a defense of Japenese games - FFVII was hilarious in all the wrong ways and FFX, the laughing scene, dear god, the laughing scene - just pointing out that the assumptions and generalizations about JRPGs and the like tend to be off the mark.

Second: the downside of MMOs is the grinding repetitive nonsense. The upside, in the good ones, is massive worlds to explore. Sure, if you play it like a grind it gets tedious fast, but that's not the only way it has to be played. How do I do the same fetch quests multiple times without getting bored? I look for alternative means to do it: can I skip this area entirely and round up those guys over there at this level? Can I kite these elites to solo the group mission? How far into this dungeon can I sneak solo to steal that objective before I get destroyed? And so on. I find playing MMOs like single-player games, or at least with that mentality, can make some far more interesting. Unfortunately WoW's latest updates completely streamlined the old world to the point where that's sorta unnecessary since 99% of 1-60 content is intended to be soloed by any class now, but...well, at least it was nice to go through the remodeled world once to see what had changed.

Either way, though, no reason to get upset about someone disagreeing about whether a game is good or really a game at all. I mean, hell, I think of endgame MMO content as more of a job than a game, personally. All the stuff you have to do every day to keep up with a progression raid schedule? Blugh. Never again. x.x But the exploration and challenges getting up to that point, that's what I enjoy. ^.^

And now, to add another game to the list: Shank. Specifically, Shank on a PC using keyboard/mouse because I can't make this controller I got work with my machine. It picks up on stick movements but never detects button presses and I dun know why. D: I'm sure if I played it with a controller it'd feel a bit better (though the combat seemed either far too easy or unforgivingly hard depending on what enemies were together and how close to a cliff you happened to be at the time) but on the keyboard, neeeever again. Uninstalled immediately after beating it and massaged the cramp out of my forearms from the key-mashing. Ow.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.