The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Sony Pictures are probably one of the worst studios going. I think only really Baby Driver did notably okay for them recently. I don't have high hopes for Venom. It looks like a retread of the symbiote crashing to Earth bit of Spiderman 3 crossed with Sandman's arc from the same film. Sounds alright on paper, though hardly original and tbh... I don't rate Tom Hardy.

mia h

Black Lighting presents "proto-hero wardrobe malfunction"

One of the many things the writers are getting right is throwing in these bits of comic relief to offset the more heavy\dramatic parts of the show.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on February 12, 2018, 12:11:10 PM
Sony Pictures are probably one of the worst studios going. I think only really Baby Driver did notably okay for them recently. I don't have high hopes for Venom. It looks like a retread of the symbiote crashing to Earth bit of Spiderman 3 crossed with Sandman's arc from the same film. Sounds alright on paper, though hardly original and tbh... I don't rate Tom Hardy.

Oh good, so it's not just me. I think even Spider-Man: Homecoming didn't make as much as they were hoping in spite of all the good will the deal with Marvel generated. I thought it was pretty good, not great, but even I was surprised at how unremarkable the take was for something that people had been clamoring for since Raimi started the whole thing.

And Tom Hardy has the same problem as Joseph Gordon-Levitt. They radiate the 'my shit don't stink' vibe no matter what kind of part they're playing. I hate that kind of thing, makes it impossible to like their characters regardless of circumstance.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

wander

This is just my opinion, though Hardy basically gets the sales because he's classed as a sex symbol. I actually think he was incredibly miscast as Mad Max, though it wasn't like he was the protagonist in that to begin with.

As a guy who's not into masculine types, he ain't all that and a bag of chips. Levitt I half agree on you with, though if I had the choice between watching a film led by the two, I'd pick Levitt.

Though when I say 'oh this dood is gonna be shit in this' I'm usually hella disproven, so we'll see I spose.

Mathim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSvnepZS26s

Okay, so I got misled by the first season's trailer and it ended up being horrible. I want to say this looks a lot better (in that the setup seems to have less potential to go all 'Wile E. Coyote trying and failing to catch the Road Runner') but two things bother me. This will now be the third Marvel universe version of being resurrected (actually, fourth if you include how Ghost Rider did) from the dead and that's something I've even heard quite a lot of people bemoan the comics for doing. The main issue I have with that is that it means even a dead villain can potentially return and because I loathed the dynamic between Kilgrave and Jones, seeing those clapping hands at the end made me think, "Fuck a duck, here we go again." I'm not sure who the showrunner is for season 2 but if it's the same as the first, I'll keep waiting to get another Netflix subscription until something better comes along. Iron Fist just seemed to be the herald of the massive decline in their Marvel lineup and this almost had the chance to give me hope it would be turning around. Hopefully the news I've heard about Heroes for Hire will become a reality and really earn solid praise.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

wander

How dislikeable can Jessica get?

It's like SJW Marvel in tv show format. :/

Mathim

Quote from: wander on February 15, 2018, 12:30:55 PM
How dislikeable can Jessica get?

It's like SJW Marvel in tv show format. :/

That SJW aspect never bothered me, in fact I hardly even thought of it in that way. It's just that they went about writing the show in such a crappy way. It seemed like they were just throwing fucked-up things to happen to her and other people at the wall to see what stuck, like shock value was in and of itself a good storytelling device. I mean, it's all well and good to have Kilgrave's rape victim have an abortion and then harvest the aborted fetus to enhance his own powers and then have the mother slit her own throat in front of Jessica so nothing could keep holding her back from killing Kilgrave, but when it comes to the depictions of sex, we don't get a single second of bare breasts? Trying to be edgy and at the same time holding back, don't mix. Go whole hog or don't bother, otherwise you just seem like a desperate amateur trying to get attention you know you don't really deserve. But then for someone who worked on the most controversial of the Twilight movies, that's to be expected.

For someone who holds back her strength due to her anxiety and other issues, Jones never struck me as making up for that by being intelligent enough to be taken seriously as a real detective, especially with her detailed knowledge of both Kilgrave's powers and personality, which left her without excuse for her ineptitude. She had no ability to predict his actions despite him using the same tactics repeatedly and it caused the aforementioned Wile. E. Coyote style bungling to the point of absurdity. Making her still susceptible to Kilgrave's powers, thus forcing her to be smarter about it from the start and having to figure out clever ways to avoid it or override it, would have made her more engaging and interesting and likeable even if her personality was still so abrasive that I needed skin grafts after watching it.

Her personality. I just could not give a shit about her as a character. There has to be something, anything, redeeming about her (and this was where the comics being more influential to the story would have come in VERY handy since I was able to like her quite a lot) but they consistently made her impossible to relate to or empathize with. She has no character development as, by the end of the show, she's right back where she started, not wanting to make a change to her life despite finally being free of the one thing that tormented her more than any other. This flaw also made her have zero chemistry with anyone, let alone Luke Cage, and I laughed my ass off when Trish Walker had to actually say out loud that Jessica and Luke had great chemistry, as if just so those of us who knew better could roll our eyes and go, "Ugh, okay, fine, we'll play along. But it's harder to believe that than to believe people can have unbreakable skin or control minds."

The Alias comics were awesome. I've read them at least three times and there was plenty to like about Jessica in there. Brian Michael Bendis should have been the damn showrunner. Who would know how to best balance the comic story (him being the author) and creating a new, non-direct-adaptation TV series, if not the creator? The fact that he gave his approval to how the show turned out left me stunned, as did the positive reception to it. Spending the entire series chasing Kilgrave and following his trail of dead bodies and other troubles, was a huge waste. Jessica could have been investigating kidnappings of people with special abilities and how parts of them were being harvested for their special properties to empower others, which happened in the comics (but it looks like that's where season 2 is going; just feels like too little, too late), and/or teamed up with a mysterious other investigator (Jessica Drew, in the comics) during one case or another, who also has powers (again, like in the comics) after getting into a scrap with that person over a misunderstanding (comics again; how awesome of an action scene would that have been?), and of course the missed opportunity of her waking up to see the horrifying sight of whoever she had gone to bed with that night being devoured down to the bone by bugs, only to find that it was a vision she was forced to have because of Kilgrave's influence, him having resurfaced just to torment her, in the last episode or two, having not been the focus, but merely a spectre haunting her until finally revealing himself to be alive. With such a rich tapestry of things to work with in the comics, you'd think some of the good bits would translate over, but instead it's virtually unrecognizable but for the names. I can't remember if it happened in the show, but in the comics Kilgrave also went into a restaurant and forced everyone there to stop breathing because he was annoyed by how much noise they were making, resulting in everyone suffocating to death. How awesome a spectacle would that have been (assuming my memory of not seeing that in the show is accurate)? Bendis seriously needs to have more influence, and not just on Jessica Jones.

Oh, I forgot to mention-where the fuck did all the skepticism about mind control come from in this universe? We had extremely potent hypnosis in Agent Carter where even suicide/murder was capable of being perpetrated by victims of it, and in Agents of SHIELD there was HYDRA brainwashing people, not to mention Loki's staff from the Avengers and Age of Ultron. The fact that there were already extraordinary humans known to exist should have made it plausible already, but for there to have already been proof positive that such things were a not-at-all-uncommon reality going unacknowledged was just insulting. The Marvel universes should be more integrated, not less, which this show seemed to ignore.

wander

Agreed on all points, though Bendis... Has flaws.

As an author for a limited series on a more street level with start, middle and end, yeah he does good work. Alias as a series was great. However he needs a full plot that'll end to do his best work. On a normal superhero ongoing he falls into naval gazing and plots going absolutely nowhere. Check his runs on most mainstream Marvel books in the past few years for that. Or don't, Marvel comics are trash these days.

I also think with the way DC is directing Action Comics and Superman as comic series soon, with renumberings back to #1 and Marvel comicisms appearing in news stories for both... I think Bendis may be a large factor in what made Marvel comics the garbage fires they are today.

Oh and totally agreed on Jessica Jones being unlikeable and us as an audience having to be told things instead of shown. That was my original point in my above, if what rather cynical, shitpost.

RubySlippers

Black Panther disappointed me it looks nice but have two issues with the plot.

First they gained access to the vibranium several centuries before the date of the movie and lets assume it took three generations to get a basic working knowledge of it to forge basic armor and weapons. The plot is opening the nation and offering tech and support to people around them. Fine but one issue why would they accept the offer and not be disgusted since lets be frank they could have led Africa into a golden age, driven off the colonial powers, the slavers, the tribes aiding these powers and brought about economic, cultural, equality and other good things in say 1700+. But nope. I would say they were arrogant, cowards and now its kind of late to make up the years of blood they allowed to happen.

The main villain was also an idiot he had the right idea, he could have pushed for democratic reforms in then apologize for his people being such huge cowards and offer to hand over the tech to the peaceful African nations and nations of color. And fight only terrorists and slavers and warlords avoiding his brother. Then instead of tradition demand a democratic election and the ending of the royal line OR he could take his supporters and secede from the rest of the nation declaring a democratic constitutional monarchy or if pressed walked away with his followers and what tech and wealth he could get and support other nations taking their share of vibranium. They could have stretched this out for a trilogy as one group openly moves to unify Africa and backed by the most powerful tech in the world and the traditionalists as they deal with it. It would at least gave African people choices as to who to support over one option that preening king who is a loser. But no we get a thug terrorist with no flesh and blood for the main hero to fight, nothing special.

It looks pretty but I would give it a C+ maybe for quality of the movie as far as the plot goes.

Mathim

Quote from: wander on February 16, 2018, 03:30:42 AM
Agreed on all points, though Bendis... Has flaws.

As an author for a limited series on a more street level with start, middle and end, yeah he does good work. Alias as a series was great. However he needs a full plot that'll end to do his best work. On a normal superhero ongoing he falls into naval gazing and plots going absolutely nowhere. Check his runs on most mainstream Marvel books in the past few years for that. Or don't, Marvel comics are trash these days.

I also think with the way DC is directing Action Comics and Superman as comic series soon, with renumberings back to #1 and Marvel comicisms appearing in news stories for both... I think Bendis may be a large factor in what made Marvel comics the garbage fires they are today.

Oh and totally agreed on Jessica Jones being unlikeable and us as an audience having to be told things instead of shown. That was my original point in my above, if what rather cynical, shitpost.

I haven't read anything else by Bendis (to my knowledge) but I did like Alias, and I also like his work on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, but I'm not that familiar with anything else he's done. I just think the one really good property he was responsible for should have had him much more heavily involved.

Mathim

Okay, saw Black Panther this morning and I just have to say, the older black woman sitting in front of me behaving like that stereotype of talking to the characters on the screen actually made things more entertaining rather than making me want to push a button that would activate an ejector seat beneath her (unlike that six-year-old sitting next to me who wouldn't shut up during Captain America: The Winter Soldier). She did it at all the right moments, and the movie offered a very pleasing number of them, so while I kept my applause internal, she did the actual clapping for all of us. I've seldom seen such (and so many) positive strong female characters in a film, that was one of the biggest things my companion and I noticed and applauded. Marvel's been lousy with that kind of thing and rather than making them sex symbols like Black Widow, they made it much more like Peggy Carter, which is a nice improvement and I look forward to seeing them in action again, which it looks like we will in Infinity War.

Was a little surprised that they
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
killed Klaue. I wanted him to hang around a bit longer. Seemed like Kilmonger kept him around longer than necessary and could have just killed him a lot sooner to deliver his corpse to Wakanda. Probably would have been more opportune for him anyway, he could have potentially gotten there when the proper challenge was going on and M'Baku had worn T'Challa down, then he could have killed T'Challa for sure rather than just leaving him for dead (which was pretty stupid of him to do anyway). Honestly, I expected Everett K. Ross to have died too, but they let him get out of there just in time before that ship shot him. But they weren't afraid to kill a ton of characters (and not just ancillary ones), that was pretty bold.

It wasn't really worth a 3D ticket (but I didn't buy them so I'm not going to complain) but that opening sequence about the history of Wakanda animated with that same 'grey goo' stuff as their hologram tech was made of was pretty awesome. Can't wait to see what else Wakanda is hiding for when it's time to go to war for reals.

Really felt for Michael B. Jordan's plight (can definitely see why he'd want to go more Malcolm X than Martin Luther King Jr.), which is rare when it comes to villains, I actually shed a tear seeing portions of his backstory (being someone who grew without a father, it really spoke to me). Very well done, and extremely good performances all around. I'm enjoying the Wakandan accent a lot and look forward to hearing more of it.

The final battle did seem to have the problem I guessed at during the trailer, where the fact that they both have vibranium suits makes them for all intents and purposes invincible, so even with the loophole they found, I was far less engaged in the duel than with the amazing war that was going on above ground, which was the best part, I think.

Mathim

Quote from: Darkcide on February 21, 2018, 12:13:33 PM
I got emotional during Black Panther. I won't lie.

You too? My friend has seen all the MCU movies with me despite not being a real Marvel fan and he said that without a doubt, this was the one that had the most heart. I wholeheartedly agree. Very rarely have I actually been in a position where I could actually say I agreed with the villain's goal, although he did refuse to see that he had very clearly become the very thing he hated and lost sight of what would really remedy the problem he perceived.

Darkcide

Quote from: Mathim on February 21, 2018, 06:32:12 PM
You too? My friend has seen all the MCU movies with me despite not being a real Marvel fan and he said that without a doubt, this was the one that had the most heart. I wholeheartedly agree. Very rarely have I actually been in a position where I could actually say I agreed with the villain's goal, although he did refuse to see that he had very clearly become the very thing he hated and lost sight of what would really remedy the problem he perceived.

Black Panther has been one of my favorite heroes since I was a kid. For me though? It was big because, I think representation is huge. People really don't get that, and I have seen a lot of people in the last week or so try to crap on people's parades. But it was awesome for me to have a movie that is appropriate for all of my nephews and nieces to be able to see, and for them to really respond to these characters and themes. I really dug the movie, and I enjoyed it a lot. It is in my top 5 MCU movies, but more than that I really got a kick out of seeing how much people have enjoyed this movie.

As far as Killmonger, I sympathized with him, and found him fascinating but I also can't really say I agreed with his goals. Because his stated goals were at odds with his actions, and he just used them as justification which I thought again was really interesting.

Mathim

Quote from: Darkcide on February 25, 2018, 01:43:29 PM
Black Panther has been one of my favorite heroes since I was a kid. For me though? It was big because, I think representation is huge. People really don't get that, and I have seen a lot of people in the last week or so try to crap on people's parades. But it was awesome for me to have a movie that is appropriate for all of my nephews and nieces to be able to see, and for them to really respond to these characters and themes. I really dug the movie, and I enjoyed it a lot. It is in my top 5 MCU movies, but more than that I really got a kick out of seeing how much people have enjoyed this movie.

As far as Killmonger, I sympathized with him, and found him fascinating but I also can't really say I agreed with his goals. Because his stated goals were at odds with his actions, and he just used them as justification which I thought again was really interesting.

True, he had an ideal and was corrupted in the means of achieving it without acknowledging that, he had just become so bitter it didn't even matter to him because he was in so much pain and just wanted to make others suffer, not understanding that it would do nothing to diminish his. It became less of a campaign of positive change and more of a revenge rampage, which in the end was a good thing because it convinced T'Challa that remaining isolationist was not a good idea, nor was expansion with the goal of dominion. Very rarely have the repercussions of a villain's actions been positive in that sort of way, usually it's more along the lines of creating or motivating an already empowered hero to action. Iron Man's first villain motivated him to become Iron Man, so there's that, but little else since Tony was already somewhat humanitarian like he showed in the interview at the beginning of the movie. Hulk's enemy kind of redeemed him in the eyes of many (although it could be argued that the Avengers did more for him than that ever could, and Age of Ultron reversed it). Iron Man's second enemy didn't really do anything but Tony's nihilistic brush with mortality gave Rhodey an excuse to become War Machine. Loki made Thor who he was today and consistently caused more positive change in the god of thunder throughout. Red Skull was the reason Cap was able to survive to the current day and be there to lead the Avengers. The Mandarin...did jack shit for Tony. Malekith barely had anything to do with Thor's decision not to rule Asgard (which ended up happening anyway). Bucky let Cap know he wasn't alone and had a friend and peer, albeit an unstable one. Ronan let the Guardians clear their criminal records and gain a reputation. Ultron caused the team to start splintering and Zemo made them actually start fighting. Kaecilius was Strange's call to action when he was strongly considering running away after hearing about 'mystical threats'. Ego...added Kraglin and Mantis to the Guardians' roster? And I guess got the Ravager leaders together (SO want that movie...especially if it was about them in their prime years.) Vulture got Spidey to grow up a little despite all the chaos he caused. Hela was the only one who really didn't do anything positive unless you count bringing Hulk and Valkyrie back into the picture (indirectly). The greatest, least limited-to-personal-growth-causing villain is Killmonger, for sure. Opening all of Wakanda to the outside world, that will have the farthest-reaching results. Such a seemingly minor villain (nothing like Ultron or Ego or Dormammu) having that great an impact, definitely one to remember.

TheGlyphstone

I'd put Ultron second on the list of 'impactful villains' and very close behind Killmonger for first, since it was his actions and plans that directly led to the world collectively realizing 'hey, superheroes are kind of dangerous' and the resultant Sokovia Accords. Civil War wouldn't have happened at all without him, and it could be argued that Black Panther wouldn't have happened either. No Accords means no ratification session in Vienna, which means no bombing for King T'Chaka to die at, which means no early ascension of T'Challa to the throne. Who knows what having to wait ten or twenty more years would have done to Killmonger's motivations or plans?

wander

Mathim

If only because it didn't necessarily need to be Ultron to cause the inciting incident at that particular time, I'd disagree (but I'm argumentative about stupid things, so maybe that's just me). Plus you have to put a lot of blame on Tony and the twins for making it happen and helping Ultron out along the way. I guess we could say the Sovereign (or at least their high priestess) is going to become a more influential villain for creating Adam Warlock, though that's not happening for a while.

wander

Wander plays the dread combo of Red Skull (for bringing notice to the Space Stone/Tesseract), placing them on their side of the table with Loki and Thanos (Loki initiated more conflicts in Phase 1 and served as an agent of Thanos to collect the rest of the Infinity Stones which this whole pile of BS is heading towards!)...

There is no way you can beat such a combo, Yugi!!  XD

CaptainNexus616

Time to use my plot armor Kaiba!

I play Tony Stark!

He is the current reigning champ on creating enemies for these movies. Summoning forth the dreaded Iron Monger, Whiplash, Mandarin, Vulture, Shocker I & II, Ultron, Maximoff Twins, Zemo, and helping improve the Hellicarriers that would have killed everyone in Winter Soldier.

So not counting his unknowing part in improving warship designs. He's the reason we've had 10 out of 20 (give or take) movie villains. Its kinda scary just how high this number is, some of which are post him becoming Iron Man. 
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

TheGlyphstone

On the other hand, Tony's villains tend to be the weakest and most easily beaten of the lot. So his quantity is counteracted by lack of quality; Ultron is really the only serious threat he's directly responsible for.

Mathim

That's because with one exception, Tony's enemies have been just other guys in suits or drones. Pretty easy to take them down when you're the top engineer of those kinds of things and have already been constantly upgrading one's own suit and other equipment. Other enemies are better at hiding, working behind the scenes, have less of a weakness presented by a complex (and easily made less functional by the slightest damage) mechanical exosuit, that kind of thing. The 'Mandarin' was the only one who didn't have that problem AND had the benefit of being connected to high-up government and military people and hiding in plain sight or behind a facade on top of having those heat-generation and regeneration powers. Yet they made Iron Man 3 the worst travesty in the MCU in spite of that.

I find it curious that given what Ultron was doing, and that it involved vast quantities of vibranium, Wakanda didn't intervene sooner in what was happening. Surely their spies and monitoring systems would have been like, "Uh, guys? Flying killer robots. Maybe get on that." Was Wakanda really prepared for a catastrophic extinction event? Would they have just been dandy behind all their advanced defenses, regardless of how the climate would be affected, and that every other life and civilization on the planet would be annihilated? I mean, it's all well and good that right after Ultron, they decided to join the U.N., but you'd think we'd have heard or seen something from there, even if only a drone strike or something. Sure would have been intriguing, seeing a group of Ultron drones flying away before they can be destroyed, only to be blown apart by a flying vessel that none of the Avengers can identify, and which would self-destruct upon them attempting to examine it, the only hint of its origin being a sliver of vibranium contained therein...would certainly have made up for there not being a post-credits scene in AoU, the hint at Black Panther entering the MCU being sooner than we might have anticipated.

CaptainNexus616

TBH I really don't see it as much of a stretch. Klauss was off the Waknda radar for years, and Ultron just grabbed the Vibranium from him while the Hulk was causing a big distraction along with Iron Man's Hulkbuster. So by the time anyone noticed that Ultron had the metal it was well into his endgame. When Sokolvia was going up, up, up, and away it was kinda hard to mobilize anything to counter that. Fury was only able to arrive with a Helicarrier because he had a bit of a head's up that Ultron was doing something there. As for the drone strike...

I'd say T'chaka was really conflicted about exposing Wakanda because an unauthorized drone strike would have drawn attention and investigations. After all look what happens in the Black Panther movie over his prioritization of Wakanda's secrecy.

Speaking of Black Panther, it is now officially the 5th Marvel Studios film to earn a billion dollars world wide through the box office. Gotta give credit where credit is due, the movie has only been out for just a little less than a month!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

mia h

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 10, 2018, 11:39:35 PM
Speaking of Black Panther, it is now officially the 5th Marvel Studios film to earn a billion dollars world wide through the box office. Gotta give credit where credit is due, the movie has only been out for just a little less than a month!
Just for giggles I had a look at the return on investment numbers for the big hero franchises (MCU, DCEU, X-Men). Black Panther is currently 6th on that list, a little bit ahead of Logan and only just behind Wonder Woman (4) & Spider-Man : Homecoming (5). Another $330 Million would push Black Panther up to second best RoI beating Avengers but for first spot it would need to get another $1.6 Billion because Deadpool.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 10, 2018, 11:39:35 PM
TBH I really don't see it as much of a stretch. Klauss was off the Waknda radar for years, and Ultron just grabbed the Vibranium from him while the Hulk was causing a big distraction along with Iron Man's Hulkbuster. So by the time anyone noticed that Ultron had the metal it was well into his endgame. When Sokolvia was going up, up, up, and away it was kinda hard to mobilize anything to counter that. Fury was only able to arrive with a Helicarrier because he had a bit of a head's up that Ultron was doing something there. As for the drone strike...

I'd say T'chaka was really conflicted about exposing Wakanda because an unauthorized drone strike would have drawn attention and investigations. After all look what happens in the Black Panther movie over his prioritization of Wakanda's secrecy.

But like with Batman exploding the Tumbler after it released the Batpod cycle, the Wakandan drone could have done the same and not revealed its origin. Except to the delighted audiences. And would have been a great post-credits hint scene rather than not getting one at all.

And considering every black person I know (I'm not remotely exaggerating) has seen it multiple times in theaters, I'm not the least bit surprised it topped a billion. Really happy it was able to knock it out of the park in so many ways and not alienate anyone. I've rarely seen movies more than once in theaters in the last 10 years so I'm not typically one to do that, but I did with Doctor Strange to see the 2D and then 3D versions, and Kingsman: The Golden Circle because two different friends wanted to see it at two different times. I honestly didn't think Black Panther would go above about 850 million or so before it premiered, but damn, blew the crap out of BvS and the rest of the DCEU's box offices. For a minority superhero to outperform an ensemble film of some of the most popular heroes of all time speaks to how good Marvel is at what they do, or how bad DC is at presenting their product, or both. Putting the right person in that director's chair really makes the difference and with few exceptions, Marvel's made the right choice for theirs.