5E- Eberron; Sharn, City of Towers-- CHARLIE'S ANGELS

Started by Mister Ugly, January 28, 2018, 01:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Ugly

"The ladies each made mistakes but I gave them a second chance, and now they all work for me. My name is Charlie."

I have wanted for some time to try something different in fantasy roleplay here in "E". I have always had a soft spot for Charlie's Angels [Hell I am old enough to have had THE Farrah Fawcett poster on my wall] Add in a love of fantasy and how well I think 5e works and all I needed was a decent setting. Many years back I had played in a short Eberron game but never was in Sharn...so while checking out some new things for 5e I came across some ideas for Eberron. This lead me to the City of Towers and my old brain cells started firing and dancing and a smile curved my lips. Here was the setting I had been looking for. Mage tech, corruption, most anything that could be done without going on a crawl or making a world shaking setting. Of course I have made my own changes and have several 'Episodes' ready as well as a series long arc.

All that being said the first thing was do figure out what the angels should be like ability wise and racial. [of course cannot forget Bosley either] Next was the first episode as well if I wanted a long term arc. This lead to another brilliant sparking of those old brain cells, which by now, in their semi-seniality, had begun to wonder what the heck was going on. A special Dragonmark for the Angels [and Bosley] was what danced in front of my eyes. There were already aberrant dragonmarks so why not one that was very special.

This would limit the races possible for the characters to those that had received Dragonmarks before. Half-elf, Human, Half orc, Halfling, Gnome, Elf. Dwarf, my preferences for the story are Half-elf, human and elf. Yes this will have some people upset not to be able to play their favorite race. So be it. It is my story and game.

If you do not know Eberron, no problem the books are easy to find and there is plenty about it online and in google also check the 5e wiki areas. I will be happy to help out any that need it!

Character Generation: Eberron speaks of heroic characters and a tone of pulp action and dark adventure. All of which I like.
small rant
The one thing I do not like about 5e is it encourages mediocre characters and then tries to build them with ASI. I hate ability scores under 10 this is not heroic to me! Point buys encourage min/max as well as the same idea that the characters are about average joes in the fantasy world. To me they are not.
So to reflect this here are the guidelines to building a character for this.

PLEASE READ THEM CAREFULLY

Sex: ALL Characters must be female. No Futa or trans please. Bisexual or lesbian is allowed but be aware there will times your character may need to flirt, or even seduce someone not to your character's normal orientation. As an example, one of the Angels from the TV kissing another female would be very out of their normal personal behavior but could be within the person they are portraying. I hope that makes sense.
Races: Humans[v-human is allowed], Half-elf, Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling [please note I did list the races in my order of preferance but I will consider all carefully]
Ability Scores: 15, 14, 14, 13, 13, 12
Feats: We are using the option of feats.
Classes: All standard from PHB and also Bladesinger [Half-elf may take with good background], Storm Sorcery, Swashbuckler, Artificer, I am open to some of the classes presented here PLEASE CHECK WITH ME BEFORE USING THINGS FROM THAT SITE.
Character Level: 5
Hit Points: Max at 1st level + con bonus, 1/2 +1 + con for each level afterwards or can roll but must your character must take the roll
Alignment: Will not be as important as in other settings. In fact you may meet a good Lich or an evil gold dragon in Eberron.
Special Traits: You may choose ONE of the following as an extra trait for your character. Two extra Languages, an extra skill proficiency, an extra tool proficiency, a single weapon proficiency, 
Dragonmark: Unknown/special,
the mark
It is about the size shown currently and also fuzzy
; Least; choose one of the following cantrips; Chill Touch, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost: Choose one of the following; Charm person, Hellish Rebuke, Protection from evil and good, Bane, Mage Armor, Jump. This may be used 1/long rest. Charisma is the spell casting ability for these. Cantrip is based on character level. Spell is 1st level.
Equipment: It has been hard times for your character the past few months so you get your starting gear and gp from background. I want your character to be willing to seriuosily have reasons to listen to an offer of employment by an unknown.
Magic Items: Your Character may have two common items- it has been a rough few months after all. I will also design or work out a special magic item for your character to have kept. If you have a suggestion let me know. 
Background: any but please check on some of them from other sources.
Background Hook: This is required for each character submitted for story and purpose.
Some where in your character's history they found a silver dragon scale. Five years ago a massive magical explosion utterly destroyed the country of Cyre [Now called Mournland]. The moment of the explosion your character went into spasms for several minutes and when the character recovered they had an Unusual Dragon Mark and the dragon scale was gone.
Artwork: I am leaning toward non-anime artwork mainly because I like the 'elegant' feel of the Angels
example

Bosley
If you are interested in playing Bosley be aware I have him partly done for reasons of story and had planned on him being an NPC... That being said I am willing to allow someone to play Bosley as long as they are willing to work within the parameters I have already laid down for him--basically classes and some background beyond the hook of the dragon scale that while the extra hook may not be needed for the first story if all goes well it will be needed in later episodes

New Feat

--Magic Attunement--Can only be taken once
Attune one additional magic item. One attuned item gains a random minor property from the dmg [page 143]. This property lasts as long as the item is attuned to your character.
small rule change
Unarmed...Dexterity may be used to attack with but not for damage. Unarmed normally uses Strength for both attack and damage [unless your character has the Monk class] base damage is still '1'. To me this allows the quick character to still get the punch in but do less damage. and fits the tone and theme of the setting.

I am hoping for a bit of a magepunk [think Steampunk with magic] tone and theme. I hope to avoid heavy armor and heavy weapons at least for the Angels. I am looking for grace, elegant and smart characters to be Angels.

As for sexual content...YES!!...What area I am leaning toward? Exotic, but there may be chances for bondage, and even NC but NC that would be expected ...ie the Angels would know going into an area NC very well could happen. I am open to other suggestions.

This is the format I would like used for the game...a character sheet is great as well for more detail etc but I want to have this as a header for each post. makes it far easier for me to keep track of things without numerous sheets open

[float=left][img height=200 padding=5]picture[/img][/float]
[b]character sheet link /Character name[/b]
[i]Race , class(es), Level(s), Alignment[/i]
[b]AC[/b] [b]HP[/b]  [b]Speed[/b]  [b]Passive Perception[/b]
[b]Str[/b] x (x) [b]Dex[/b] x (x) [b]Con[/b] x (x) [b]Wis[/b] x (x) [b]Int[/b] x (x) [b]Cha[/b] x (x)
[b]Attacks[/b] +damage
[b]Weapon/spell[/b]  [b]weapon/spell[/b]  [b]weapon/spell[/b] 
[spoiler=skills][/spoiler][spoiler=traits and special abilities][/spoiler][spoiler=Magic stuff] Spells, dragonmark, magic items[/spoiler][spoiler=Items][/spoiler]

<MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

PhantomPistoleer

Damn, if this was pathfinder, I'd be all over this.

Good luck with your game.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Mister Ugly

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on January 28, 2018, 02:22:25 PM
Damn, if this was pathfinder, I'd be all over this.

Good luck with your game.

I know pathfinder well but like 5e a bit better. So why would pathfinder make the difference for you if I can ask?

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert Einstein

Kathyan

Sounds very interesting even when I do not know much about Eberron but I'll see what I can come up with.

About race I was wondering maybe we could reskin the not so liked races like a human with the traits of a gnome or a halfling? oh and just out of curiosity no Kalashtar allowed? Anyway about those dragonmarks, do we get the cantrip AND the 1st level spell?

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Kathyan on January 28, 2018, 04:09:00 PM
Sounds very interesting even when I do not know much about Eberron but I'll see what I can come up with.

About race I was wondering maybe we could reskin the not so liked races like a human with the traits of a gnome or a halfling? oh and just out of curiosity no Kalashtar allowed? Anyway about those dragonmarks, do we get the cantrip AND the 1st level spell?

Kathyan, Eberron is a fun setting starting with a train that moves on dragonshards and has lightning crackling around it hence being called The lightning rail and skyships and houses based on dragonmarks!
In Eberron only certain races get dragon marks. Half-elf, Human, Elf, half orc, halfling, Gnome and dwarf. So for this story based on Angels marked by a specific and legendary Dragonmark then no on Kalashtar. Reskin as in taking the racial traits of a gnome or halfling? I would prefer not too ....but convince as too why.
On the Dragon mark yes your character gets both! The cantrip improves based on level [DC and power etc]  and the spell is only level 1 in strength, duration etc.

MU
Albert Einstein

Kathyan

Quote from: Mister Ugly on January 28, 2018, 05:13:05 PM

Kathyan, Eberron is a fun setting starting with a train that moves on dragonshards and has lightning crackling around it hence being called The lightning rail and skyships and houses based on dragonmarks!
In Eberron only certain races get dragon marks. Half-elf, Human, Elf, half orc, halfling, Gnome and dwarf. So for this story based on Angels marked by a specific and legendary Dragonmark then no on Kalashtar. Reskin as in taking the racial traits of a gnome or halfling? I would prefer not too ....but convince as too why.
On the Dragon mark yes your character gets both! The cantrip improves based on level [DC and power etc]  and the spell is only level 1 in strength, duration etc.

MU
Ok, I had no idea about that details on the dragonmarks as I havent payed attention to then the scarce times I played on eberron. Also I meant maybe just having a gnome or halfing be a human with different modifiers and traits but I haven't thought of a character yet so it was just a loose idea.

On the meantime I was checking the site you linked before and through the classes and I see lots of UA options there when there is already the Xanathar book with said options so I wondered if I could take some from there instead, again I haven't decided on anything yet just checking at several options.
(for example the storm herald barbarian's tundra option is pretty different)

DomJoe

I would also like to second the use of Xanathar's when it comes to making characters... I have a Half-Elf Rogue in mind, but I would like to use the Scout Archetype listed in said book, along with a feat in that book as well (Prodigy).

Mister Ugly

@kathyan --Please link me the page
@DomJoe-- see above   ;)

I will again look at Xanathars but I would like to keep things as close as possible to standard!

MU
Albert Einstein

Kathyan

Ok, here is what I was saying about the Tundra for the Herald of the storm barbarian
http://www.eberron5e.com/creating-a-character/classes/archetype/path-of-the-storm-herald
which on xanathar is a 10 feet radius instead 5 and for the tundra option grants temp hp instead doing damage

I mentioned it because while is not as desperately needed as in 3.x PF healing is still needed so I was thinking another class to work around it like the xanathar tundra barbarian, or the rally of the battle master but havent fully decided on that yet.

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Kathyan on January 28, 2018, 06:39:21 PM
Ok, here is what I was saying about the Tundra for the Herald of the storm barbarian
http://www.eberron5e.com/creating-a-character/classes/archetype/path-of-the-storm-herald
which on xanathar is a 10 feet radius instead 5 and for the tundra option grants temp hp instead doing damage

I mentioned it because while is not as desperately needed as in 3.x PF healing is still needed so I was thinking another class to work around it like the xanathar tundra barbarian, or the rally of the battle master but havent fully decided on that yet.

So if I understand what you are saying then your character would gain half the level in HPs each turn? if so then No that would end up be more power then the paladin lay on hands ability.
Otherwise I have no problems with the storm barbarian...of course think grace and elegant for an angel ;)
Healing in Eberron is very easy to  find... it is higher level healing/raise dead that is much tougher...in fact one of the dragonmarks gives cure lights and there are areas in Sharn that are basically clinics with cheap cure lights and potions of healing easy to find
Also in 5e short rests and long rests restore hps

MU
Albert Einstein

Kathyan

Ok no problem, I was just asking although the xanathar barbarian doesn't heal but grant temp hp which of course don't stack and it's not half level yet it is 3 beginning at lvl 5 but still it's not really imba.

I don't think I'll be playing fighter because I'd prefer to go in heavy armor for that (heavy armor master) or rogue since it seems we already have one so my choices are starting to limit themselves, right now I'm considering cleric (knowledge or trickster), bard (glamour or swords), warlock or sorceress.

Mister Ugly

I just wanted to be sure everyone understands this will be a city based story/game. Sharn is a city of towers this means buildings hundreds of feet high linked by aerial carts and pathways

Sharn is the largest city in the kingdom of Breland and indeed, the continent of Khorvaire. It is a melting pot of all races, with the human population being the largest but still only a third of Sharn's some 212,000 citizens.

A vertical city, Sharn is linked with the plane of Syrania, granting enhanced power to flight and levitation magic, a feature that the city's residents have used to build towers that rise higher into the sky than any other place on Khorvaire and possibly the world of Eberron. Due to the myriad of cultures that live and have lived in Sharn, examples of architecture from all over Khorvaire can be found. Most of Sharn's wealthiest inhabitants live in the upper regions of the city, enjoying the freshest air and least claustrophobic views.

A layer-by-layer depiction of Sharn

Sharn, The City of Towers

So while I wont oppose heavy armored characters, There will be plenty of chances to have problems. Most of the city will have light to no armor and though it is a melting pot heavy armor depends on the area and district.

MU
Albert Einstein

Chulanowa

Eberron, without the hot garbage that is 3.5?!  XD I'm down!

RubySlippers

Any room for a Wizard with the Lore Mastery Archetype I'm thinking a bit of a bookish woman who would be in over her head in some social situations but well could be the more comical side the character out of place but well if one is going after a wizard she would be a good asset, they tend to like each others company, but in a criminals dominion might be a tad out of place. Of course she would wield serious power in her own right focusing on more urban friendly magic well hurling fireballs in the city is a bad idea but doing a Suggestion spell not so much.

Green Goo Theory

Exactly how large of a cast are you looking for?  I apologize if it's covered in the OP but I missed it.  3 like the traditional angel's set up? 
Coming soon...

RubySlippers

Four seems like a good round number, not traditional, but well could be more practical.

Mister Ugly

I was looking at 4 Angels and Bosley as an NPC [or pc if someone wants him based on the parameters I set out above]

MU
Albert Einstein

Mister Ugly

Quote from: RubySlippers on January 28, 2018, 10:47:56 PM
Any room for a Wizard with the Lore Mastery Archetype I'm thinking a bit of a bookish woman who would be in over her head in some social situations but well could be the more comical side the character out of place but well if one is going after a wizard she would be a good asset, they tend to like each others company, but in a criminals dominion might be a tad out of place. Of course she would wield serious power in her own right focusing on more urban friendly magic well hurling fireballs in the city is a bad idea but doing a Suggestion spell not so much.

I see no reason not to allow the Lore master. You will need to make sure me as the Story Teller and the other PCs are aware of changes made to a spell when cast. Also to clarify Alchemical Casting. The way I am reading it is that the extra power gained is based on the spell slot used and does not stack...ie a 3rd level doesn't gain the effects of 1st and 2nd as well as 3rd.

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 28, 2018, 10:43:20 PM
Eberron, without the hot garbage that is 3.5?!  XD I'm down!

3.5 was a bit of garbage but it was DnD. I thought about Pathfinder for this but PF tends to get unwieldy in forums and does not have a quick pulp like feel like 5e has. So No 3.5 and yes to 5e!

MU
Albert Einstein

Chulanowa

I'm feeling a little like a rogue or bard here. Kind of an archaeologist-adventurer-turned-agent. My natural inclination is one of the smols (Dwarf / Gnome / halfling) since to me, human and Human-with-spock-ears all kinda end up samey-samey. I'll see what I can dig up though!

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 28, 2018, 11:21:51 PM
I'm feeling a little like a rogue or bard here. Kind of an archaeologist-adventurer-turned-agent. My natural inclination is one of the smols (Dwarf / Gnome / halfling) since to me, human and Human-with-spock-ears all kinda end up samey-samey. I'll see what I can dig up though!

Well there will be a female dwarf that runs the House the Angels will be staying at. Be nice to her she can fry you into charcoal or simply teleport you 200 feet outside the tower and if she is feeling nice, over the water.
Higgins

MU
Albert Einstein

RubySlippers

Quote from: Mister Ugly on January 28, 2018, 11:18:10 PM
I see no reason not to allow the Lore master. You will need to make sure me as the Story Teller and the other PCs are aware of changes made to a spell when cast. Also to clarify Alchemical Casting. The way I am reading it is that the extra power gained is based on the spell slot used and does not stack...ie a 3rd level doesn't gain the effects of 1st and 2nd as well as 3rd.

3.5 was a bit of garbage but it was DnD. I thought about Pathfinder for this but PF tends to get unwieldy in forums and does not have a quick pulp like feel like 5e has. So No 3.5 and yes to 5e!

MU

My reading of that power also, but it still isn't bad.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Mister Ugly on January 28, 2018, 11:30:35 PM

Well there will be a female dwarf that runs the House the Angels will be staying at. Be nice to her she can fry you into charcoal or simply teleport you 200 feet outside the tower and if she is feeling nice, over the water.
Higgins

MU

Nice? All that garbage and offal from Sharn has to go somewhere, and the Dagger River is right there  :P

Muse

This idea looks pretty awesome, Mr. Ugly.  Do you have room for another? 

Perhaps I could bring a sorceress with a rapier?  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mister Ugly

Quote from: Muse on January 29, 2018, 12:47:40 AM
  This idea looks pretty awesome, Mr. Ugly.  Do you have room for another? 

Perhaps I could bring a sorceress with a rapier?  :)

@Muse--no one has been chosen yet. So sure bring her on!

MU
Albert Einstein

Illven

Would it be possible to bring a elven wizard with a different school then Lore? Maybe enchantress for some added seduction.

If not, intending to go cleric of some variety.