News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Instead of a post count...

Started by Greenthorn, July 31, 2008, 08:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greenthorn

I think that "member since <enter date here>" would be better!  Post counts are really useless since many (including myself) have high numbers from when we got em for the socializing threads.

Sherona

Member since <date here> really wouldn't be an indicator of activity on the forums. Post count is...even if it is in mostly socializing forums. And now that Vekseid has made it to wher ethe socializing forums no longer count towards post count, that won't sway things any more. *smiles*

Greenthorn

But we already have the nifty little fae, seduced, and so on titles to give an idea of post count..so why be redundant with the exact numbers also?  Personally I would like to see how long someone has been a member for, instead of the exact number of posts they have.  It would also help when looking for a writing partner for some who have complained that people disappear (and it's mostly the newer people who disappear)

Sherona

Not many know what each title signifies. I would rather see the activity of the person, since the member since is righ ton their profile, and post count would presumably be removed since its listed where its listed on their posts. But it's not really something that so majorly important that I will throw fusses over, I jsut think that dates will divide things even more so between 'older' and 'newer' players.

I also find its the older players that tend to drop more often, due to burn out mainly. But thats just been my experiance. Date Joined really wouldn't show anything except when they joined...doesn't show that they joined...and never posted until three days ago..or joined, posted for three weeks, disappeared for five months and came back.

Paradox

There are two options in everyone's profile that work wonderfully for examining someone's post count more in-depth. They're both under the "view the general statistics of this member" button. It shows you which threads they post in most frequently; for instance, I have over 550 posts, yet if you look at my statistics, the majority of them are from the Introduction Threads. I don't do nearly as much story writing as I used to; now, I mainly wander around the intro threads and the various boxes, welcoming new victims applicants and terrorizing socializing with existing members. The little 550 next to my name is misleading since it may give some people the impression that I have 550 story-related posts.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Bliss

FWIW, you can see how long someone's been here by clicking through to their profile. For GreenThorn, for Example, it says:
Date Registered:     February 20, 2008, 12:40:23 am
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Kalen

We need a maturity level indicator! 

But I don't know how to code that.   And mine would end up really low...

Um... scratch that.

Greenthorn

Quote from: Bliss on August 01, 2008, 08:20:56 AM
FWIW, you can see how long someone's been here by clicking through to their profile. For GreenThorn, for Example, it says:
Date Registered:     February 20, 2008, 12:40:23 am

Well yeah...I know all of this wonderful information is available on our profiles...and the stats page, and yeah sure post count shows how active one is...but so Kalen and I are equal with activity yet he posts to stories much more than I do and he's been around about 7 months longer than I...

The info above our avatars really isn't quality information if you think about it.  Post count really shows not a thing to anyone when it comes to stories/games. 

We look at avatars for information don't we...they are our identities...even putting our sexual orientation...hell...or even status (for the D/s people) would give a lot more info.  I just think post count is misleading considering how I accumulated mine.

(if none of this was organized or made sense I apologize...)

Bliss

It totally makes sense... but I think that there comes a point, really, when if you find yourself caring that much about the information the number represents, you have to take the time and energy upon yourself to go digging - find out by looking through past posts how many are game posts, and how many are socials and OT posts? How much quality and energy goes into those posts? Is the CONTENT of the story posts the sort of writing you want to pair up with?

That's something I don't think any number can really quantify.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Maeven

Quote from: Bliss on August 01, 2008, 09:42:01 AM
It totally makes sense... but I think that there comes a point, really, when if you find yourself caring that much about the information the number represents, you have to take the time and energy upon yourself to go digging - find out by looking through past posts how many are game posts, and how many are socials and OT posts? How much quality and energy goes into those posts? Is the CONTENT of the story posts the sort of writing you want to pair up with?

That's something I don't think any number can really quantify.

Right, I mean... Someone can have 1039756297 posts ONLY in games but if they are all one liners, then, that isn't really helpful either. 

You sorta have to really look at someone's profile, and filter through the last posts to see their style.  And on a side note: I feel bad for anyone looking through mine and having to sort through the nonsense I post in the StB before getting to story content.  *grin*

The post count is just a number... as is the date joined. You have to look beyond the cover to really see the writer.  (wow, dude that's soooo deepomg ima dork
What a wicked game to play, to make me feel this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you.
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way.
What a wicked thing to do, to make me dream of you. 

The Cardinal Rule

Bliss

Yeah, they usually put the author images on the inside flap.

*serious nod*
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Greenthorn

So..then...you both agree that post count is pretty useless?  (I think that's what I got from the posts haha...me..simple...Bliss...eloquent...Maeven..dude she's like so cool...*giggles*)

I just think some kind of more valuable information would be much more appropiate than post count..and less redundant since we have the little titles (fae, seduced)...

I'd like to see something in place of both of those things.

(this is the bugs and suggestions thread...this is only my suggestion)

Kalen

*ponders the words inside flap, then manages (barely) to restrain himself*

I agree with Maeven on the importance of reading someone's writing.  I always do that... for me, it's less the quantity of the person's work, and more the quality.

To pick on a recent applicant?  I set MusicNeverDies FAR above some longstanding writers here, because of her stunning talent.  Yet, she's fairly new... fairly low postcount.  She's a perfect example of the Quality/Quantity argument.

And how can we measure that?  It's in the eye of the beholder.

Paradox

Let's have a rating system! We can all go around reading each other's posts and give them one to five stars, or a rating from one to ten, then have the combined average display next to our names!

/endfacetiousness 

The only reason I glance at the post count is to see if someone is relatively new or not; however, that's no real indicator if they're muse is particularly fecund or as someone mentioned, they post a ton of one-liners. People that joined more than a month after me have accumulated a few hundred more posts than I have already. In the end, I end up going to look at their profile to see their registration date.

I often think that having a post count displayed so prominently is simply an ego boost for a lot of people.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Greenthorn

Quote from: Paradox on August 01, 2008, 10:08:29 AM

I often think that having a post count displayed so prominently is simply an ego boost for a lot of people.

I agree...and as I said...redundant since we have the little titles too.  I mean the titles stay and if anyone is interested enough, they go find the thread that explains them.

Surely there must be some better info to have displayed?

Bliss

Quote from: Paradox on August 01, 2008, 10:08:29 AM

Yup!

Quote from: Greenthorn on August 01, 2008, 10:12:58 AM
I agree...and as I said...redundant since we have the little titles too.

Not entirely... the titles don't satisfy my errant fetish for round/milestone/pretty numbers.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Paradox

Quote from: Bliss on August 01, 2008, 10:18:55 AM
Not entirely... the titles don't satisfy my errant fetish for round/milestone/pretty numbers.

Yeah, my odometer excites me when it approaches interesting number combinations.

Last Halloween, I glanced down and noticed that that the tripometer said "666". That thrilled me to no end.

Sherona

Well I think that if we could find a better thing to put in post count then sure whatever. I am not hung up on people's start date or post count. I would rather see that spot blank. Like I said I don't want newbies to never get a chance to RP with older ones if they have the blazoned "Imma newbie" on their start date on every post.

Start dates are just as meaningless as post counts, if it ain't broke why worry about fixing it is always been my standards.

Sherona

Quote from: Greenthorn on August 01, 2008, 10:03:59 AM
So..then...you both agree that post count is pretty useless?  (I think that's what I got from the posts haha...me..simple...Bliss...eloquent...Maeven..dude she's like so cool...*giggles*)

I just think some kind of more valuable information would be much more appropiate than post count..and less redundant since we have the little titles (fae, seduced)...

I'd like to see something in place of both of those things.

(this is the bugs and suggestions thread...this is only my suggestion)

What I read was they thought post count and the start date pretty pointless.

Erm re-read this. I meant that that was how I read it, but re-reading their posts I can very well be mistaken as well.

Haibane

It would be good if the software only counted posts in the game and story and writing forums.

And the count could be backdated so all the older members had their post counts reset to actual game/writing posts ;)

*runs for cover*

Greenthorn

Quote from: Haibane on August 02, 2008, 06:46:33 PM
It would be good if the software only counted posts in the game and story and writing forums.

And the count could be backdated so all the older members had their post counts reset to actual game/writing posts ;)

*runs for cover*

That would be nice actually

*does not fear the low post count*

Sherona

I like that idea too Hai, and I think Veks, in one fo the on topic posts, was toying witht hat idea. I will lose around 500 myself but I am not one to worry about my or others post count. Though if it was just 'substantial' posts rather then one words for association games, then it would be even nicer :)

Haibane

I think any of the socializing forums should not count, so that would exclude the word games too. I've no idea if the software can be set up that way, I'm no programmer *shrugs* but at least then the number would become a useful indicator of writing activity. I'm okay if it includes even one-liners in game threads; I'm a firm believer that the one-liner has it's place as much as the 2000-3000 word epic has, there are situations when a simple "Yes ma'am," or "Yes, sir," post is perfect in fact.

I'm happy to say...  :P

Xillen

It's already not counting some of the boards (mostly the "Socializing & Games" and "Adult Socializing" boards). Technically, it could count the posts on whatever boards the admins deem appropiate (but as far as I remember, it doesn't readjust your current postcount if boards suddenly stopped counting, though I could be wrong here).

But then, what's the point? Even if you only count the right column for instance, then there's still OOC threads in there. And what about the one liners VS the paragraph posts. Does 5 oneliners really indicate more activity than 4 posts of 8+ paragraphs?

Also don't forget that E is more than just the stories being written on it. Removing the postcount from all those boards would indicate that those sections are not important, which is incorrect. Only the two socializing boards have some threads that could bump postcount up into insanity, and that just would be wrong. It would be as pointless as counting every line in the shoutbox and the chat.

As for GT's initial question, I really don't get the "instead of". Technically it would be possible to add the registration date next to each post, but that wouldn't have effect on the postcount. It's not like the postcount is taking up a specific space. Both postcount and registration date can easily be found in the profile, though, so personally I don't care about either being visible.

Greenthorn

My whole point is: post count is useless as an indicator of the person posting