Medical Tattoos

Started by Fae Brin, February 29, 2012, 03:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fae Brin

I came across this article and I thought it was really interesting.

Medical Tattoos

I'd like to know alternate perspectives to mine on the subject, if I could be indulged.
The idea hovered and shivered delicately, like a soap bubble, and she dared not even look at it directly in case it burst. 
But she was familiar with the way of ideas, and she let it
shimmer, looking away, thinking about something else.
and a subtle fear [capture d] my  h  e  a  r  t.
already [wet] and we're gonna go s w i m ming

Trieste

Tattoos have been used in medicine for years to improve the precision of radiation treatments. This seems to be an extension of that, and not a big deal.

Envious

Unless the EMT is looking for it, and knows its purpose, it's not going to be taken into account. Doesn't seem like a bad idea other than that, though.

SilentScreams

I like the idea, in general. But Envious is right, unless it's a tattoo that states something that can wait for the hospital before it's discovered an EMT might not find it. I'm allergic to penicillin. Would I get that tattooed on me? Probably not. It's a depressingly small step from a good voluntary idea to a compulsory government program. 

Trieste

Kind of, but the logic doesn't wash. Medical alert bracelets remain voluntary, and I expect that government-mandated tattoos are a little too WWII to be anything but political suicide.

Besides, they're too busy legislating uteri. >.>

Callie Del Noire

It's an alternative. I think some sort of 'format' might be useful. It could be a very good option. but only an option.

DarklingAlice

I really really like that idea. Though more for things like medication allergies than for end of life wishes. The more information paramedics and ER doctors have, the better; and with a tattoo there is no risk of losing it (well...under a certain severity of accident I suppose).
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Revolverman

I see the logic of it, but It would have to be really large to be reconised right away, and lord knows what happens when you get older.

Serephino

It's an interesting idea.  There would have to be a designated place for them though, so medical personnel would know where to look, and maybe designated symbols instead of words.  You can't lose a tattoo like you can a bracelet.   

Autumn Sativus

I remember reading an article a year or two ago about a woman with dextrocardia (her heart was on the opposite side to normal) getting a tattoo to the effect of "I have dextrocardia. My heart is on the right side." on her left so that anyone who needed to give her medical attention in the case of her being unconscious would be aware of her condition.

I think they are a really great idea for identifying life long conditions. I'm not so sure about DNR notices or No CPR notices, but for making conditions apparent I think they're great. Much better than a bracelet, which can easily be lost or forgotten.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Valerian

Luckily, I don't have a condition or allergy that requires a medical alert bracelet, but if I did, actually wearing such a bracelet wouldn't be an option for me.  I'm allergic to most metals -- they make me break out in a terrible rash -- so in my case I'd either have to figure out how to get a sterling silver bracelet made, or get the tattoo.  Mind you, I wouldn't like a tattoo at all, but better that than the hospital finding out the hard way that I have a fatal allergy to some medication when I'm unable to tell them.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Caela

I think it's an interesting option. It would be especially useful for people that break their jewelery often or people, like one of my brothers, who have skin allergies to most metals. The kid actually got special permission to hook his dog tags to his clothing instead of wearing them around his neck because the metal caused him to break out so badly, he'd never be able to wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace if he needed one. Thankfully he doesn't but I am sure there are others with the same sort of allergy that do.

I would agree that the medical community should make an attempt to get on top of this though and come up with recommendations for placement and what sort of information to include and will be honored. "NO CPR" on your chest sounds like good placement, but there is no saying that someone starting CPR will open your shirt to see it. It may not get opened until someone with training on a defibrillator cuts it open to place pads. I would think somewhere on your arm would be the best choice, easily seen in many shirts and long sleeves are easy to push up to check for them quickly.

Oniya

Quote from: Valerian on March 01, 2012, 11:14:51 AM
Luckily, I don't have a condition or allergy that requires a medical alert bracelet, but if I did, actually wearing such a bracelet wouldn't be an option for me.  I'm allergic to most metals -- they make me break out in a terrible rash -- so in my case I'd either have to figure out how to get a sterling silver bracelet made, or get the tattoo.  Mind you, I wouldn't like a tattoo at all, but better that than the hospital finding out the hard way that I have a fatal allergy to some medication when I'm unable to tell them.

Medic-Alert makes both a sterling silver and one with a leather band (the engraved charm is attached to the outside of the band with lobster clasps - there might be a small amount of the buckle that touches the skin, though.)  Edit - they also make a sports-band style that has a plastic buckle.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Gracefulskai

A good friend of mine has a tattoo on his right forearm stating that he's a Type 1 Diabetic. You couldn't miss the medical symbol, it just drew your eyes. If he ever clasped someone would surely notice that tattoo. I think that, maybe not a 'have to have one' sort of thing, but just like the bracelets, voluntary. Getting a tattoo is a painful process for some people. It'd be better if the EMT's were aware that some people might have a tattoo. If anything should mandatory, it should be that the tattoo is visible, like on the forearm or somewhere that the EMT's don't have to take more than a second to look at it.

Oniya

As I have a sister who is an EMT, I've just dropped her an email asking her what she thinks of the idea.  Who knows, maybe she'll come back with a story about how she's seen this in practice.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Zakharra

I just had the weird thought of what would people think if they saw these people in swimsuits (assuming they are young enough to wear them and look ok) or somewhat revealing clothes and they could see the 'DNR' tattoo, or some other condition (allergies or some such) stenciled across or on the chest/shoulder.  If they do tattoos like this, they will have to take that into account.

DarklingAlice

As far as placement goes I like the idea of the wrist. It's already associated with medical bracelets and small writs tattoos could be fairly innocuous. I also think that instead of the actual words like: 'penicillin allergy' or 'DNR' there should be a universal symbol library adopted to ensure no confusion of meaning. Something like an NFPA code for common medical problems.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Serephino

That's why I said it should be some kind of symbol.  I'm allergic to penicillin, but I'm not sure I'd want to advertise that.  My boyfriend definitely wouldn't want the whole world knowing about his heart condition.  With official symbols, the person who has it will know what it means, and medical personnel will know what it means, but the average person won't.  I wouldn't make it mandatory, but it's a good option.

I wouldn't reccomend it for DNR orders though.  Getting rid of a tattoo isn't easy if you change your mind.

Zakharra

Quote from: Serephino on March 02, 2012, 01:05:50 AM
That's why I said it should be some kind of symbol.  I'm allergic to penicillin, but I'm not sure I'd want to advertise that.  My boyfriend definitely wouldn't want the whole world knowing about his heart condition.  With official symbols, the person who has it will know what it means, and medical personnel will know what it means, but the average person won't.  I wouldn't make it mandatory, but it's a good option.

I wouldn't reccomend it for DNR orders though.  Getting rid of a tattoo isn't easy if you change your mind.

Five minutes after the list is released, it would be splashed all over the internet. People would get to know what it means fairly quick.

Oniya

Okay - word from the field is that
a) If it's not on the left wrist, it's not likely to be seen (that's the arm that is used for starting IVs).  It's likely to be by accident, though - they look for the bracelet.  Tattoos might be better observed in the hospital when they remove the clothing to get the patient into a gown. 
b) She's seen a 'No CPR' on an 80-yr-old's chest - tattoos on 80-yr-olds are fairly uncommon at the moment, so they draw the eye.  Thirty, forty years down the road - not so much.
c) The medications that are given in the field (pre-hospital) are not common allergens.  That said...
d) ID is searched for in the field - if you have a list of your allergens paper-clipped to your driver's license, they'd call that a good day.

Pumpkin Seeds

As far as I'm aware, we would not honor a "No CPR" or "No DNR" tattoo on a patient.  Too questionable.

DarklingAlice

Which is why, if this were to actually be used there would need to be a well, characterized standard system of symbols. Just like we already use in many other areas of science and medicine.

So, I get why a person might not want to advertise their stance on end of life issues on their skin, or even certain medical issues; however, I am not sure why anyone would shy away from certain information relevent to emergency medical procedures (e.g. allergies, blood sugar issues, etc).

Pumpkin Seeds

I don't see tattoos being a viable option because they simply cannot be changed on a regular basis. 

Serephino

Serious medical conditions don't usually change.  I'll probably be allergic to penicillin the rest of my life.  I think I'm mildly allergic to the anti-nausea stuff they give you before surgery.  It makes my whole body itch like crazy for a few minutes.   

DarklingAlice

Quote from: Serephino on March 03, 2012, 01:52:37 AM
Serious medical conditions don't usually change.  I'll probably be allergic to penicillin the rest of my life.  I think I'm mildly allergic to the anti-nausea stuff they give you before surgery.  It makes my whole body itch like crazy for a few minutes.   

It is worth mentioning that allergies change, and that some allergies (especially amoxicillin) are often misdiagnosed. That said, tattoo removal procedures are only improving...so *shrugs*