Wheel of Time

Started by Mossberg, January 18, 2014, 10:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg

I'm looking to start an rp based on the Wheel of Time series. Before I get started making informational threads and whatnot, I figured maybe I should see if anyone will even be willing to play it. I plan on it being freeform, though there will be minor stat involvement, mostly for determining what weaves Channelers will be able to use. Meaning the five powers will have a grading system (most likely a 1-10 range for each one). And the way that I plan on setting it up will hopefully be spoiler free for those that haven't read the whole series. There will be no canon characters, or at least not available to players. I'm also hoping to be able to compile an extensive listing that will explain the setting, One Power, Old Tongue and Shadowspawn among other things so that inexperienced players may join as well. If anyone is interested or has questions feel free to comment here or send me a pm.

Oh, on a side note, I have never ran a game before so any help in that department would be appreciated.
"I killed the whole world, and you can too, if you try hard."
-Lews Therin Telamon

Muse

*smiles*  And I was hoping you were gonig to use the system. :)

I ADORE the wheel of time, but I'm not sure I can handle another freeform right now.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and cheering for you. :) Intrested to see how you do it.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

IStateYourName

I'll toss my hat into the ring.

Mossberg

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2014, 04:40:57 AM
*smiles*  And I was hoping you were gonig to use the system. :)

I ADORE the wheel of time, but I'm not sure I can handle another freeform right now.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and cheering for you. :) Intrested to see how you do it.  :)

Well there are a couple reasons for the freeform. I like being able to let people have less restrictions and such, and plus, I have no idea on how to use the dice on here lol.

Quote from: IStateYourName on January 19, 2014, 02:15:34 PM
I'll toss my hat into the ring.

Okay. Right now it's just an idea. If I can get enough people interested (like five or so, I don't want it to be too big for my first one) I'll start posting stuff, like weaves, cities and all that stuff.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

I'm tentatively interested. It depends on what we would be doing and playing, really.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Mossberg

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 19, 2014, 08:44:33 PM
I'm tentatively interested. It depends on what we would be doing and playing, really.

There is no plot set up yet really. I was making sure that people would actually want to play before doing all the work. For that matter, if anyone does have plot ideas and stuff they are more than welcome to suggest them.

So far what I'm thinking is that it can be in a Portal Stone World (PSW) so there will be no canons for people to try claiming. Most if not all of the main locations (Nations, capitols, Black Tower and all that) will be there, but with the PSW we will be able to add original locations and stuff. There will be Asha'man, Aes Sedai, Wolfkin and Aiel for people to choose from as well as others if they so desire. Of course some things, like balefire and compulsion will not be allowed. Though if two players agree on a scenario where compulsion could work and the character is able to know it, then in that case it may be allowed. I hope this is making sense.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Muse

*Smiles* 

This does just keep getting more tempting. 

I'm curious how you mean for there to be a black tower if there's no Rand. 

Do you intend to retell the lat battle your own way?  With our players forming the central characters?  ;)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mossberg

Quote from: Muse on January 19, 2014, 11:23:41 PM
*Smiles* 

This does just keep getting more tempting. 

I'm curious how you mean for there to be a black tower if there's no Rand. 

Do you intend to retell the lat battle your own way?  With our players forming the central characters?  ;)

Well, at Dragonmount.com, which is where I got the idea from the roleplays I was in there, they had made up characters doing all the canon stuff, though not exactly like it was in the books. If I remember correctly, there was a group of channeling men that got together and decided to build a community. Eventually it turned into The Farm and when that version of the Dragon Reborn went to Tear he found that Aiel and Asha'man were already there waiting to help him breach the Heart of the Stone. So basically everything that did happen can happen. There will just be different characters and perhaps different motivations. As far as characters taking on the central roles.. That might be a bit much. I mean think of the differences in power levels and all that. Does anybody really want there to be one character with the most power, skill and a ta'veren to boot? Though, with the exception of Rand, I might be amenable to characters taking on some big roles. Amyrlin, M'Hael and maybe even kings/queens might be able to be used. Just remember though, those kinds of characters likely wouldn't be going on adventures or anything of the sort.

One idea I was bouncing around in my head was maybe some Asha'man and their bonded Aes Sedai (or vice versa) could join up with some Wolfkin and Aiel, depending on what people want to play as, and go on a little adventure. Maybe something like Dumai's Wells. And that could just be the start of it. I don't have any set goal in mind, so the rp could theoretically go on forever.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Mossberg on January 19, 2014, 11:35:45 PM
One idea I was bouncing around in my head was maybe some Asha'man and their bonded Aes Sedai (or vice versa) could join up with some Wolfkin and Aiel, depending on what people want to play as, and go on a little adventure. Maybe something like Dumai's Wells. And that could just be the start of it. I don't have any set goal in mind, so the rp could theoretically go on forever.

I'd enjoy something like this tremendously.

I also enjoy the idea of a Pattern Stone World. It seems like the best way to keep canon stuff and allow original material.

Would the male half of the Power still be tainted? I'm not really sure if I want to play a male channeler - I'd probably rather play a warder if someone else was interested and amenable to their character being bonded to mine.

Mossberg

Quote from: Cold Heritage on January 20, 2014, 12:01:49 AM
I'd enjoy something like this tremendously.

I also enjoy the idea of a Pattern Stone World. It seems like the best way to keep canon stuff and allow original material.

Would the male half of the Power still be tainted? I'm not really sure if I want to play a male channeler - I'd probably rather play a warder if someone else was interested and amenable to their character being bonded to mine.

I'm not sure yet about the Taint. It will definitely have happened, otherwise we might as well make a whole original world as there would have been no Breaking or anything that was a result of that. I'm not too sure if I'll have it be cleansed or not yet. Depends on what period of the timeline people would want to be at. You people can make suggestions as well, don't forget that.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cold Heritage

It's been a long time since I cracked one of the books, and to be honest I never got around to finishing them all, but it's stuck with me that the Wheel keeps on spinning and weaving. Maybe the Power being tainted and cleansed is a cyclical thing, and sometimes it's the male half, as the books depict, and others it's the female, or maybe in others both or none?

I'm not really set on it one way or another. There's neat stuff that could come of it and the attendant baggage that built up in the world from it, but it's equally interesting to me if the PSW we play in has a cleansed Power and the White and Black Towers with their respective channelers are allied faction with goals in common and goals distinct from each other, and when you throw together an Asha'man and Aes Sedai we get the heady mix of us all needing to keep each other alive on the adventure but also knowing in the backs of our minds that we don't all serve the same master. And if we get Aiel or Wolfkin in the mix then there's the potential to get people from the outside who can challenge the assumptions of the representatives of the Towers.

I think as a basic framework, if nothing else, the basis could be that there's been Trolloc sightings, you know, over there, and the White Tower's sent someone to check it out. Along the way the characters live, love, learn, and fight, no matter who they are and where they're from. Along the way maybe they run into Weird Stuff (y'know, like the ones that Mat got his spear from), find some angreals (whether they be angreals, sa'angreals, or ter'angreals) to make things interesting, and cross people who are bad news.

Mossberg

As far as the Taint thing, I would rather keep it as it was in the books. With it being the male half I mean. We could set it after the Last Battle and that could leave room for the Towers to be united and then people would be able to have male channelers free of the taint as well. Maybe a plot idea could be that with the Dark One sealed away once more, channelers and such are going through all the lands and the Blight to clear out all the shadowspawn and darkfriends.

See, I'm not too keen on including Aiel and to a lesser degree the Wolfkin. While they do provide great roleplaying opportunities, I'm worried that some may not be able to handle it. You know, that famous Aiel humor or being able to "think" in images when communicating with wolves among other things. This could easily be just a channeler thing with the inclusion of warders or other "plain" characters.

And yes, there will be angreal lol. Of all three varieties. And power-wrought weapons are going to be allowable too.

I'm not sure how much I can say or not without spoiling things for people. Sometimes I hate that I finished the series lol.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Zaer Darkwail

I have not finished the series but read most books. Anyways I voice interest to join in with my char, who is going to be a male channeler but not a asha'man.

Mossberg

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 20, 2014, 01:11:06 AM
I have not finished the series but read most books. Anyways I voice interest to join in with my char, who is going to be a male channeler but not a asha'man.

Well, if we are going to be placing this after Tarmon Gai'don some of the cultures may change their view on male channelers and not send them off to their death anymore (i.e. Aiel, Sea Folk.). The only other route that I can see would be Dreadlord or wilder.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Tamhansen

But placing it after tarmon Gai'don would be a huge challenge. Most of the enemies will be either gone or severely weakened, the political landscape is completely changed.

I'd love to see an rpg like this come off the ground. If possible I'd love to play a warden. Maybe developing a weak hold on Saidin later on, but not likely. Mainly a supporting character
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Mossberg

It could be a challenge, but at first at least, there wouldn't be too much focus on the world as a whole. These are all just possible ideas though. Nothing is set in stone.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Mossberg

Okay, so here is the "official" timeline for the series, with minor edits. Here is my source. I figured this may be of use when we try to figure out where we want it to be, as well as anything that may need to be changed.

WoT Timeline
Second Age

Age of Legends
War of the Shadow
The Strike at Shayol Ghul
Breaking of the World

Third Age

After the Breaking   
98 AB Construction of the White Tower and Tar Valon begins
200 AB Compact of the Ten Nations forms
202 AB The White Tower and Tar Valon are completed
212 AB Caraighan Maconar born
335 AB Raolin Darksbane declares himself the Dragon Reborn
336 AB Raolin Darksbane dead/gentled
373 AB Caraighan Maconar dies
1000 AB Trolloc Wars begin
1150 AB Rashima Kerenmosa is born
1251 AB Rashima Kerenmosa is raised to the Amyrlin Seat
1300 AB Yurian Stonebow declares himself the Dragon Reborn
1301 AB Rashima Kerenmosa dies
1308 AB Yurian Stonebow dead/gentled

The Free Years
13?? AB / FY 1   Trolloc Wars end
FY 351 Davian declares himself the Dragon Reborn
FY 920 Deane Aryman born
FY 939 Guaire Amalasan declares himself the Dragon Reborn
FY 939 to FY 943 War of the Second Dragon
FY 943 Guaire Amalasan dead/gentled, Artur Hawkwing begins reign
FY 992 Artur Hawkwing sends armies across the Aryth Ocean, Deane Aryman raised to Amyrlin Seat
FY 994 Artur Hawkwing dies, War of the Hundred Years begins
FY 1084 Deane Aryman dies

New Era
FY 1117 / 1 NE   War of the Hundred Years ends
306 NE Whitecloaks hang the body of Serenia Latar
526 NE Corianin Nedeal dies
566 NE Aiel present Avendoraldera sapling to Cairhien
705 NE Cadsuane Melaidhrin born
859 NE Last stilling performed (for a while)
930 NE Novice Zarya Alkaese runs away from the White Tower, Verin Mathwin begins her project
953 NE Lan Mandragoran born
956 NE Moiraine Damodred born
957 NE The Whitecloak War
961 NE Merana Ambrey negotiates Fifth Treaty of Falme
968 NE The Travels of Jain Farstrider is published
971 NE Luc Mantear rides north to the Blight
972 NE Tigraine vanishes, Moiraine becomes a novice, Logain Ablar born
973 NE Tamra Ospenya succeeds Noane Masadim as Amyrlin Seat
975 NE Moiraine and Siuan raised to Accepted
976 NE Beginning of the Aiel War
978 NE to 979 NE New Spring: The Novel
978 NE King Laman killed/End of the Aiel War, Rand al'Thor, Mat Cauthon and Perrin Aybara born, Moiraine and Siuan raised to the shawl
979 NE Sierin Vayu succeeds Tamra Ospenya as Amyrlin Seat
979 NE Moiraine bonds Lan as her Warder
981 NE Egwene al'Vere born, Jain Farstrider disappears
984 NE Marith Jaen succeeds Sierin Vayu as Amyrlin Seat
988 NE Siuan Sanche succeeds Marith Jaen as Amyrlin Seat
991 NE Ravens spy on Emond's Field
997 NE Logain declares himself the Dragon Reborn
Late Spring to Mid Summer 998 NE The Eye of the World
Mid Summer to Late Fall 998 NE The Great Hunt
Winter to Late Spring 999 NE The Dragon Reborn
Late Spring to Mid Summer 999 NE The Shadow Rising
Late Summer to Early Fall 999 NE The Fires of Heaven
Early Fall 999 NE to Winter 1000 NE Lord of Chaos
Mid Winter 1000 NE A Crown of Swords
Late Winter 1000 NE The Path of Daggers
Late Winter 1000 NE Winter's Heart
Late Winter to Early Spring 1000 NE Crossroads of Twilight
Spring 1000 NE Knife of Dreams
Late Spring to Early Summer 1000 NE The Gathering Storm
Late Spring to Early Summer 1000 NE Towers of Midnight
Early Summer - ? 1000 NE A Memory of Light
-Lews Therin Telamon

Vill

I would be interested in this game.

How do you feel about Gleemen, thief takers, sniffers, or a combination of the last two?

Mossberg

That could probably work. It would most likely depend on the setting we do, but I personally have no objections at this time.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Vill

Right on, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for future developments. I haven't read all the way through the series, but I've been familiar with the universe for many years and have participated in more than one WoT play-by-post.

Good luck in organizing this, friend.

Mossberg

Thanks, I'm going to need it I think lol.
-Lews Therin Telamon

Cynadea

I'd probably end up playing a green, a brown or a yellow, they have been my top three Ajahs in like, forever. The only thing is that Jordan's writing  started killing me at book 7 where I started to say "loose ends, man. Need to tie them up a bit or the story starts looking a little sloppy..." so I didn't read much further. I'm currently reading (more like listening to an audio book) the series again, we'll see how it goes this time around...

I'll keep an eye on this. Let me know if I can help.

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

Tamhansen

Quote from: Aysande on January 23, 2014, 06:11:41 AM
The only thing is that Jordan's writing  started killing me at book 7 where I started to say "loose ends, man. Need to tie them up a bit or the story starts looking a little sloppy..." so I didn't read much further. I'm currently reading (more like listening to an audio book) the series again, we'll see how it goes this time around...

Books six seven and eight do tend to sprawl a bit, After writing book five he started working on the premise that it would be ten or more books. Nine wraps up most of the lines, but not all.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Mossberg

Everything gets wrapped up pretty well by the end I'd say. Just got to stick in there. My worst part was all the Perrin scenes that just seemed to drag on forever. When I go for a reread I'll usually end up skipping most of those parts.
-Lews Therin Telamon

AribethAmkiir

I've only read up to Winter's Heart, but I believe I may be interested in this.