Haven Tales - (Valdemar/Velgarth) - CLOSED

Started by sinera, September 04, 2009, 09:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinera

I have decided not to run this RP. My apologies to all who have expressed interest and/or created characters. If anyone else would like to run this RP, please feel free.

I notice there used to be a Valdemar/Velgarth-based RP, but it seems to be defunct.
Info on Valdemar from wiki.

Would anyone be interested in playing if I started a new one? It would take place about 100 years post-Mage Storms Trilogy, when the streams are more settled; Valdemar has been in tenuous contact with the Empire, but someone's causing problems... or if you have a better idea for a plot, let me know.

If I get enough interest I'll post links to Character generation information and such. :)

---edit---
Characters should be approved before posting to help keep a balance (not too many Tayledras, changechildren, etc). If you want a truly strange character (change-child, etc.), be prepared to provide a plausible back-story. People from other countries seldom just "pop up" in Haven. If they're not from Valdemar, why are they here?

Non-humanoids can't be Heralds or Herald-mages (mainly because they can't ride Companions), but can be Mages, Healers, Bards, Students, etc. You can play any human or non-human sentient race that appears in the books, but not races that don't (no nagas, harpies, etc.). 

If playing a Herald, you may also play your Companion, or allow another player to be your Companion. This RP will center around the Court and Collegia in Haven, but side-story threads will be allowed to allow for traveling to other places. Classes will not be RPd, but you may have a Herald-trainee if you like.
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Saku

I haven't read the Mage Storms trilogy yet but I do have the first book. I am most familiar with:

-The Last Herald Mage trilogy
-The Story of Lavan Firestorm
-The Story of Herald Alberich (Only read the first book but have the second)
-Vows and Honor Trilogy (Have all 3 books but haven't read them yet)
-The Story of Herald Skif
-The Story of Herald-Captain Kerowyn
-The Heralds of Valdemar Trilogy

If given the choice I would love to do something on either:
-The Last Herald Mage trilogy
-The Heralds of Valdemar trilogy

Since those two are the trilogies that I am most familiar with and could probably do a passable representation of them :) I would love to do either canon character, original characters or a combination of both ^^

PM me if you're still interested!
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."
Ons/Offs! vs Updates! vs Requests

sinera

Hehe - somehow I knew you'd be the first to reply, Saku! I'm not above working within the timeline of Vanyel, but when you do, one of two things happens; either someone who doesn't know the storyline does something that didn't happen in the book, or someone makes a canon character do something that they WOULD not do.. and that ruins the RP for me.

That's why I proposed setting it 100 years later. Basically what happens in the Storms sextet is that magical storms are disrupting the flow of the "streams." I figure 100 years later the streams will be working more like in Vanyel's time.
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

Saku

QuoteHehe - somehow I knew you'd be the first to reply, Saku! I'm not above working within the timeline of Vanyel, but when you do, one of two things happens; either someone who doesn't know the storyline does something that didn't happen in the book, or someone makes a canon character do something that they WOULD not do.. and that ruins the RP for me.

Lol! Indeed, yes I have found that as well...Oooh idea I shall PM you *laughs*

QuoteThat's why I proposed setting it 100 years later. Basically what happens in the Storms sextet is that magical storms are disrupting the flow of the "streams." I figure 100 years later the streams will be working more like in Vanyel's time.

I haven't read the Mage Storms so I have no clue what 'streams' you are talking about so explain? Either here or through PM *laughs* I feel stupid...lol
I'm back!
"Times change and so must I. We all change when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives.
And that’s ok, that’s good, as long as you keep moving, as long as you remember all the people that you used to be.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day, I swear. I will always remember when The Doctor was me."

Jated

I am interested in playing this RPG.  Please let me know.

Chelemar

I have read many of Lackey's books, and most of the Valdamar series.  I would be very interested in playing in this RP.  I would be fine with playing just about any character as long as the character was at least 20.  I hearld would be great, a hawkbrother-- kewl.  What position she has would be fine too.  Just let me know!

Muse

What what?  Why am i the first of the Lords here?  Represent, gentlemen, represent.  I have my harem lords and my sensualy predatory demons.  I play them with pride.  With pride also I play men in white uniforms with blue eyed horses who die heroic deaths psychicly teleporting babies out of burning buildings!

(Oh, and Lavan Firestorm was AWESOME!!!) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Saku

You never responded to my PM Sinera! *giggles* and yes Muse Lavan Firestorm was indeed awesome, I loved that book Burning Brightly ^^

Here I would like to play a Herald but not sure if he should have any magic or not, I'm still deciding...
I'm back!

Archivist

I would have to say that Firestarter was one of the most beautifully written books ever.. the ending still brings me to tears. And Vanyel's series was one of the greatest love stories I've ever read. I'm definitely in ;)

Would we be playing in a Vale or in Valdemar itself? I would love to play a Hawkbrother Adept, Herald would be a close second but I almost think a Bard would be fun to play as well.

Ons and Offs
RP Ideas

Hiraku kagi wa kitto kimi ni te no naka

sinera

I'm so excited to have so many people interested in playing! I'll be posting Info, Character, and OOC pages today, and we can start the IC in a couple of days

*happy dances*

sinera

Also I was trying to decide where to put this... Light Exotic, or Extreme Exotic (just in case)?

Muse

Now that is an important question that needs some discusion. 

I personaly am fond of the NC Exotic Venue: 

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=346.0

That would be a tad bit off the beaten path for a Valdemar RP compared to the other two you mentioned, of course.  Given the author's unblinking eye on abuse and it's consequences, it might be looked upon as diminishing to her work to take a light hearted aproach to such fantasy in her world. 

I'm up for most things with a good group so long as we're all agreed. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

In case I was unclear, I'll go ahead and clarify. 

If we put the game in Light, then things like what happened to Talia in Arrow's fall happen in either fade to black or side threads in a more permsive catrogry.  So we would only put the game in Light if a number of people wanted to play the game without a number of themes adressed repetedly throughout the cannon not being adressed on camera. 

So if we agree as a storytelling group o not shy away from those themes, and we put them in the NC-EXotic, then what we're doing is voluntarily putting on a few safety measures.  Saying, 'yes, we're willing to put our charecter's through this but just a little bit of blood.  Whips and chains are okay, but not mideval torture impliments.  You can put us on the wrack, maybe one turn, but not the iron maiden. 

if we agre as a group to take our story to the Extreme section, while scenes still happen on a case by case hbasis, the story itself is noholds bared.  Ke'chara's father the blood mage and his 10,00 impliments of pain will be there. 

that's how it seems to me anyway. 

sinera

But not necessarily. After all, one player is not allowed to put another's character into a situation like that without the player's permission.

I'm just thinking of the "just in case" scenario... but as anyone who's RPd with me can tell ya - I'm easy ;)

Saku

I'd say NC: Exotic or Extreme Exotic would be my choices :) Doesn't matter which one ^^
I'm back!

Archivist

I would have to agree with most of what Muse said, and I just don't feel Extreme Exotic would fit the books. Lackey has never shied from topics that most authors would, such as mental or physical torture or alternate lifestyles, but she's always handled them (I feel) in a careful manner. For instance, there are multiple references to blood magic and the practices that those require, but she never goes as far as saying "This is how they did it".

My vote is for NC: Exotic.

Ons and Offs
RP Ideas

Hiraku kagi wa kitto kimi ni te no naka

sinera

*grins* NC-Exotic it is then... will be posting char sheet and info tonight

Kip

Aaargh I so want to play this but I know my muse-death will mean I just come in and lurk at the moment.  I adore this series.

I'll lurk for the moment....  and once I get my creative side sorted I'll be begging to write a character into the storyline.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

sinera

*snuggle-huggles Kip* I'll be so glad to have you!!

Muse

*A little angel about the size of a beer stine works diligently shoveling a leather bag full of 2 parts insence disks, 7 parts fragrant woodchips, and one part coals.  Then he sprinkles it with stardust and ambrosia.* 

"now, I know kip's creativity is around here somewhere." 

*Drags the massive bag of fuel for Kip's creative fires tirelessly, but slowly, into the Fire section of the heavenly bueroau of creativity.* 

It's not easy being a muse.  Speaking of my own creative fires, i wonder what i'm going to play?  Maybe the curent setting will give me some particular inspiration. 

sinera

OK, I've posted our OOC and Character threads:

Haven Tales OOC (Valdemar/Velgarth) - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=46818.0
Haven Tales Characters (Valdmar/Velgarth) - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=46820.0

I will be posting my character soon so you can see what I'm expecting for character sheets

Kate

i am so jealous of those that read the books - this group seems so much fun!
you already have enough players though to have your hand's full - and all super familiar with the world :) enjoy all ! :)

Farabor

WARNING:  Legality warning!  Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

Mercedes Lackey has at many points stated that she wants nothing public/published done,  RPG wise, in her worlds.   She has no problem with people playing home tabletop games,    but things like a MUSH are right out...and thus something published here would be too.    She and her agent feel that to not vigorously defend their copyright could open her up to losing the rights to her world.  While I disagree that this is at all likely, I do respect her requests.   Here is her official webpage  on the subject:

http://www.mercedeslackey.com/am_games.html