News:

Main Menu

Question: why?

Started by Snake, August 29, 2011, 01:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Envious

I generally decline to give an alternate image if my partner requests it. I don't care if they like it, it's who I want to roleplay as. If they can't relate to it, it's not as if I'm posting it more than once; they can ignore it and use my words to enhance their imagination rather than the image I provided.

Violence

Quote from: Snake on August 29, 2011, 01:29:37 PM
Why do seemingly 85% of teh RP requests or groups on E always go with the "real life" pics for chars. What's the hate on the anime/cg version?

In group games it probably tends to have more to do with uniformity than any one player's personal preference.  Most group games I've noticed tend to have an area specifically for the posting of character bios, so you can scroll down and see all the people.  So if every character is in format (a) and then suddenly there's a player with a character in format (b) that character kinda looks wrong for the setting.

If you look at it from the other end, if you were doing a game based on an anime... we'll say Deathnote just because it fits the statement I'm trying to make *laughs* ... if all of your players are using pictures from the anime and your L player insists on using the picture from the live action movie... it feels a bit out of place.

For one on one games, unless you post pictures regularly it probably shouldn't matter.  This is just my opinion, granted, but I've always felt you can convey an idea just as well with a drawn image as a real one... and if you don't intend on posting the images into the game itself, the image's sole purpose is to tell your partner "my guy is tall and blonde and slender" or whatever.  You'll probably be doing descriptions in the rp itself, anyways, and your partner is going to imagine what they want to imagine.

I do a lot of games based on established works, and my personal stance has always been to take the image from the media from which the RP itself comes.  If I'm playing Spider-man or Sailor Venus, you're likely getting a drawn picture.  If I'm playing one of my established original characters, you're likely getting a picture that I've drawn.  But if I'm playing Malcolm Reynolds or GokaiRed, you're probably going to get a picture of Nathan Fillion or Ryota Ozawa (respectively, I don't mean that I would use them interchangeably).  But if I'm playing a character that I've just made up for this particular game, my partner probably isn't getting a picture at all and will have to settle on my descriptions... though sometimes I'll make an exception for a player that asks for a picture, and then it's just a judgement based on what they're using.

Sorry, I kinda rambled there... ^.^;;;
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.