What is your favorite programming language and why?

Started by Blank, March 03, 2009, 02:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avis habilis

My sloth overcomes my pride often enough that I'll go for something with code completion.  :-[

Oniya

Eh, I just get into habits.  I've found myself typing BBCode into instant messengers by accident. :-[  Luckily, the other person understood what I meant.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

eon

I code my HTML in notepad; when I can be bothered to. Usually I just use Dreamweaver! Lolz

I use Visual Basic Studio for VB stuff, and Visual C++ for well... C++. haha

Blank

I always found that I hated Visual Studio.  I always have to cook up some sort of modification to make the thing do what I want.

crystaltears

As to favorite language - I think APL, and to that end...

There are three things a man must do
    Before his life is done;
    Write two lines in APL,
    And make the buggers run.
                     - I believe that gets attributed to Stan Kelly-Bootle.

Now as to why, because it was my first programming language in which the only thing worth mentioning that I ever wrote was probably a console Blackjack application.

I'm more familiar with Java, C++, and C# these days. Find that I like Java the most of the three (okay really two languages since C# is just C with a VB drag-and-drop setup), but know it's because I don't have a strong mastery of C yet... Getting there...

Favorite Text Editor - Notepad works just fine for me.
Give someone an easy smile today; sign this petition on Elliquiy so we can see a man in kilts!!
fantasy compendium ~ come make magic with us

A/As - Updated 08/02/2011
writing - Last Addition 07/20/2011 | blog - Last Entry 04/19/2011

Shadows and Dust... Just Another Soul.

Tachi

Doomsday

I changed my major from Programming to Journalism, as I'm sick of it, but I really enjoyed Java and C++ during my short 3 years learning the stuff.

grdell

SQL (esp. DDL over DML), PL/SQL.

Only because it has to do with my job (I'm a database engineer). I use it every day, whether I want to or not, so I'm most familiar with it.

If I have to write actual "programs" though, I use Java. I find it much less cumbersome than C++, but also less atomic-bomb-scale powerful. But it lets me write GUIs without tearing what hair I have left out.
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Mint

Pascal. Because it's just so so.... retro. >>; And infinite loops. Come on. Seriously.  xD

Avis habilis

Quote from: grdell on June 17, 2009, 06:25:05 PM
SQL (esp. DDL over DML), PL/SQL.

Just out of curiosity - do any stored procedures?

apocryphan

I love python! My applications are never resource-intensive so the easy debugging and quick development time is a godsend for me. Anything more complex, and I make the interns do it, lol
If one should be a prey, how much the better to fall before the lion than the wolf...

Oniya

Quote from: Mint on June 17, 2009, 09:48:53 PM
Pascal. Because it's just so so.... retro. >>; And infinite loops. Come on. Seriously.  xD

Pascal:

Please
Add
Semi-
Colons
After
Lines.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Arazel Eternal

I like using C#.  I have used C++ as well, which is very nice when you need to do low level programming with the hardware or inline assembly code.  Though none of the programming I do now involves low level hardware access so thats why I use C#.  It is geared towards Windows programming and also website programming.
“I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and for this moment, at least, someone in this world cared enough about me to take my picture.” – Final Fantasy VII fanfic, Scribbler.
My Turn Ons and Offs
My Apologies and Abscences