WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Which are you likely to get more opportunity to play or use?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

I'd certainly need to think about it... It's not an easy question to answer.

OK, to change the subject a little: female Space Marines. Yay or nay?  ;)

TheGlyphstone

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on November 16, 2014, 05:13:25 PM
OK, to change the subject a little: female Space Marines. Yay or nay?  ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

dunno if you guys have seen this series yet, but its comedic gold. The creator has about 13 episodes.

http://youtu.be/Z_2nM1GEllg?list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA

HairyHeretic

Because they don't exist.

Canon holds that for whatever technobabble reason, Marine enhancement only works on males.

The 40k universe is very large, there are lots of grey areas, and places where you can do your own thing without flat out contradicting canon. Female space marines is not one of those things.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Female Chaos Marines work just fine though - between Slaanesh, Tzeentch, and Fabius Bile. But straight-up Loyalist female marines are just, by canon, a no - among other reasons, the Emperor did not want his Astartes to become Homo Superior and replace humanity, so he made it impossible for them to reproduce independently.

Sain

Hadn't actually heard that canon reason before, the regular technobabble for "no girls allowed" is so bad, but if the Emperor says so then somehow it actually makes sense for there to not be any. I had always imagined that there might be girls among the recruits, but normal space marine transformation pretty much wipes out any possible gender features that one might've had and replaces it with the oh so superior genderless space marine physique.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Sain on November 17, 2014, 02:38:28 PM
Hadn't actually heard that canon reason before, the regular technobabble for "no girls allowed" is so bad, but if the Emperor says so then somehow it actually makes sense for there to not be any. I had always imagined that there might be girls among the recruits, but normal space marine transformation pretty much wipes out any possible gender features that one might've had and replaces it with the oh so superior genderless space marine physique.

It's from 3e or possibly even 2e fluff, so is one of those things that isn't mentioned in current canon but is still true by virtue of not being overwritten by newer canon, and it's always worked for me - it's also the last-officially-stated reason why Astartes are sterile, so they can't interbreed with and eventually outbreed humanity despite coming from human stock.

Beorning

Ah, I see. Interesting :)

It's not like I'm complaining - if anything, the lack of female Space Marines makes the Sisters more unique.

Are there women among regular Imperium soldiers?

HairyHeretic

Yep. Not that many, but there are both female regiments and mixed regiments. In fiction, both the Tanith First (after a while) and the Valhalla one from the Commissar Caine books are mixed regiments.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

I see.

Another thing I was wondering: what's the relationship between the Marines and the Inquisition? I've seen a trailer for that Lord Inquisitor thing and the Inquisitor in it seems to be a Marine...

HairyHeretic

Complicated :)

The Ordo Xenos have their own Marine detachment, the Deathwatch, who are drawn from pretty much every chapter.

The Ordo Malleus have the Grey Knights to call on.

The Ordo Hereticus don't have Marines, but they do have the Sisters.

The Inquisition as a whole has mixed relations with different chapters. The Space Wolves wouldn't be real popular with them, after the First War for Armageddon, and what went on after.

The last thing the Dark Angels (and to a lesser extent their successors chapters) want is the Inquisition poking around their history, and finding out about the Dark Angels terrible shame, and the Fallen.

Some chapters they get on well with, some .. not so well.

If you mean this video though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

That's a Grey Knight, not an Inquisitor.

The Inquisitor in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7glPda2Lcc

is wearing power armour, by the looks of him, but non Marines can wear power armour.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

there are multiple grades of power armor. the sororitas and the inquisition wear power armor, but that stuff is leagues behind what marines wear. Its kinda like the difference between a SWAT officer and a soldier. One is civvie, the other is military

TheGlyphstone

Though when you're dealing with power armor, the difference isn't really anything of technical capacity, just numerical capability. Space Marines are just bigger innately, so they can wear heavier suits with more armor and more strength enhancement - human-scale power armor is pretty much identical to Astartes armor, just constructed at 1/2 to 3/4 scale and ability. Marines get better feedback and integration with their suits as well, but that's a function of their implants rather than the power armor itself.

Beorning

Just a thought: does anyone know Kieron Gillen's comic series, Über? It's about what WW2 would be like, if the sides of the conflict had access to the technology of creating superhumans.

The most powerful characters in the story are three German "battleships": Siegmund, Siegfried and Sieglinde. They are all inhumanly tall and super-muscled... basically, they look like Space Marines.

And Sieglinde is a woman. Which means that she kind of is what a female Space Marine could look like...

Just a thought.

On another note: are we allowed to discuss WH40K pairings here, or is it not PG-13?

Oniya

Talking about what characters should or do 'hook up' with each other is fine.  If you start getting into details about sexual activities, it should be taken to On Topic.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on November 21, 2014, 05:03:35 PM

And Sieglinde is a woman. Which means that she kind of is what a female Space Marine could look like...

But aren't the Sisters of Battle the female space marines?

(am new to the franchise, forgive my noviceness.)

As for what I think of it...kind of overwhelming for newcomers. So much codex and fluff and backstory to go over. And then I hear there are rettcons too.

I kind of wished there were intro things that could help ease you into this world. Or maybe im just doing it wrong.  :P

Beorning

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 21, 2014, 05:32:42 PM

Well, they are butt-kicking female soldiers in power armour (also, nuns). But they are still normal humans, while very well trained. Meanwhile, the Space Marines in WH40K universe are something more: they have genetic modifications and implants that make them superhuman. So, the Sisters aren't Space Marines, no.

Don't worry, I'm new too! :)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on November 21, 2014, 05:38:05 PM

Don't worry, I'm new too! :)

Yay!

I first got into it thanks to a lets play of Dawn of War 2 and the youtube series "If the emperor had a text to speech device."

It was the three fabulous Custodes who got me to finally look deeper into the franchise.  ::)

HairyHeretic

Nope. Nuns with guns is the common shorthand for the Sisters.

Marines are genetically engineered super soldiers.

Sisters are the militant arm of the Imperial Church, founded a few thousand years previously to get around the church being forbidden to have any 'men under arms'. They're better trained and equipped than regular troops, about on a par with Stormtroopers, but with better equipment, and fanatic zealotry.

We were all new once.

As for what I think of it...kind of overwhelming for newcomers. So much codex and fluff and backstory to go over. And then I hear there are rettcons too.

The setting has been around for 25 years, so yeah, there's a LOT of material out there. We've discussed different bits and pieces throughout this thread, but if you want to know about something in particular, feel free to ask.

I kind of wished there were intro things that could help ease you into this world. Or maybe im just doing it wrong.  :P

The core rulebook of the game probably provides the best snapshot overview of the setting as a whole. The different army books, novels and other expansions build on that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

*bows to HH's Wisdom*

Not worthy! X D

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad this thread exists since I just joined a 40K game and I just know im gonna end up flubbing up a lot of stuff.  :P

At least now I know a place where I can ask and receive a good answer at least until I learn more on my own.

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 21, 2014, 05:51:07 PM
Sisters are the militant arm of the Imperial Church, founded a few thousand years previously to get around the church being forbidden to have any 'men under arms'. They're better trained and equipped than regular troops, about on a par with Stormtroopers, but with better equipment, and fanatic zealotry.

... zealotry which actually permits them to create miracles on the battlefield, let's not forget that!  ;D

BTW. As per the current fluff, the proper name of the Sisters is Adepta Sororitas. "Sisters of Battle" pertains to those of the Sororitas that are actually soldiers. Some Sororitas, like the Dialoguses (Dialogi? Dialogae?) and the Hospitallers aren't Sisters of Battle. Just clarifying :)

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 21, 2014, 05:58:08 PM
*bows to HH's Wisdom*

Not worthy! X D

Thanks for all the info. I'm glad this thread exists since I just joined a 40K game and I just know im gonna end up flubbing up a lot of stuff.  :P

At least now I know a place where I can ask and receive a good answer at least until I learn more on my own.

Not a problem. There are more than a few people popping up in here with a good knowledge of 40k. I just happened to reply first, but I'm sure whatever your questions are, someone will have an answer for you.

Quote from: Beorning on November 21, 2014, 05:59:05 PM
... zealotry which actually permits them to create miracles on the battlefield, let's not forget that!  ;D

BTW. As per the current fluff, the proper name of the Sisters is Adepta Sororitas. "Sisters of Battle" pertains to those of the Sororitas that are actually soldiers. Some Sororitas, like the Dialoguses (Dialogi? Dialogae?) and the Hospitallers aren't Sisters of Battle. Just clarifying :)

True, there are minor orders and non militant ones, but outside of an Inquisitors retinue, you're not likely to see them on the tabletop anywhere :)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Adepta_Sororitas

Cattle die, kinsmen die