We Could be Heroes (Sexy High School Superheroes) Recruiting thru Friday Night

Started by assleigh, April 29, 2014, 04:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vergil Tanner

Just because there are a lot of applications doesn't mean you don't have a chance...you just need to make sure to wow us enough that we consider you over them :P If you want to write up a concept bio, go ahead and we'll consider everybody fairly. It isn't a first come first served deal :)
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Birchleaf

In that case, I will have an application up this afternoon or evening at latest (I have to work right now). See you then!

Vergil Tanner

No worries. Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind :D

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Paladin of Lust

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

You're only given one little spark of madness. You musn't lose it. - Robin Williams

Le List of Lust (My ONs & OFFs)

JamesSureWould

Quote from: Paladin of Lust on May 01, 2014, 02:29:38 AM
@JamesSureWould & Batman4560: Thanks for applying, we've begun to look and discuss, and we'll get back to you as soon as we can! ^_^

Awesome! I can't wait to hear any criticisms you all might hav  :-)

assleigh

A couple of things. We've been getting great character proposals and truly appreciate the effort everyone's putting into their characters. With that in mind, I'm leaving this thread 'Open' through Friday Night for folks to have time to finish up any proposals they're working on and submit them for consideratation. Over the weekend through Monday we'll be working with you here and I see us making a decision on who's moving onto the next stage of things on Tuesday at the latest. As an FYI the next stage involves clarification of powers and integrating the approved characters into the game, meaning hashing out connections with other characters and finalizing bios and reputations and such.

*phews*

Only thought it was fair to give everyone a heads up.

Now onto a bit of feedback:
@ Juggtacular - I like the edits to the bio and Flaw, nicely done. Thanks for answering the questions posed to you, and here are couple more for you:

• How often does he throw parties?
  • How does he both excel in classroom and at sports?

@ Sephora - Maya is a very interesting character, love the writing sample and the fact that she's an uber-jock, including the poor grades. Koodos on a flaw that will spark RP, as a lot of characters can be tasked to help your character/help her slack off. Re: Power choice, I'm ok with a power copycat but would rather not see someone who 'takes away' another person's powers... It'd make her a buzz kill to play with super-wise... NOT to tell you what power to take but a 6' tall, faster as the wind weather manipulator would be kind of cool... Especially since it would draw her 'out of type' as it's not a physical power in any way... But there's lots of places you could take her.

@ JamesSureWould - There's a lot of fun to be had in Cameron. Yay! Theatre geeks! I like how you wove the flaw into the writing sample and his power sounds fun too (Why hire a cast of thousands when you have me?) I do need you to think about how the OCD will spark RP... I see it as a fine Personality quirk, but the purpose of the Flaw is to open up RP with other characters... I'd be happy to be proven 'wrong' so share your thoughts on that, or think of some other part of him to highlight for this

@Batman4560 - Ryan has potential and is nicely written, but I have the same concern about his Flaw(s) as I do for Cameron. They're all cool for character depth and 'color' but I am not sure how they'll help start RP with others and they're all over the map. Could you focus on one thing and draw it out, meaning talk about how it would help serve to engage others in RP with him?

@AribethAmkiir - Nichole's proposal was really well written. I was going to ask you about the flaw but you expanded on it nicely in your bio and I really liked your writing sample. I would like to ask you to 'pick a type' to focus on... Girl Next Door feels like her 'look' and attitude (maybe - very approachable and likable, etc) so highlighting her Artsy-ness would be AWESOME and spark a lot of RP.

@Birchleaf - Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for the Class President, it's very much a role I'd like to see filled by a player :)

The queerest of the queer ... I know what's good for you (You can touch me if you want)

My ONs and OFFs

JamesSureWould

Quote from: assleigh on May 01, 2014, 09:42:42 AM

@ JamesSureWould - There's a lot of fun to be had in Cameron. Yay! Theatre geeks! I like how you wove the flaw into the writing sample and his power sounds fun too (Why hire a cast of thousands when you have me?) I do need you to think about how the OCD will spark RP... I see it as a fine Personality quirk, but the purpose of the Flaw is to open up RP with other characters... I'd be happy to be proven 'wrong' so share your thoughts on that, or think of some other part of him to highlight for this

Hmm, I'll admit, I hadn't considered it from the angle of "opening up rp". I more just made something that I thought would make Cameron's life interesting.

But I think it can still work. After all, Cameron probably often brings in other people into his constant practising. I mean, he needs somebody else to look and make sure he's not practicing it the wrong way.
That, and his reputation as a perfectionist would probably make other people seek him out in certain circumstances.  After all, who's better to have a partner for your project than the guy who will probably spend hours making sure it's just right. So long as you keep an eye on him and make sure he has it ready on time, he's the perfect partner.

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: assleigh on May 01, 2014, 09:42:42 AM
@AribethAmkiir - Nichole's proposal was really well written. I was going to ask you about the flaw but you expanded on it nicely in your bio and I really liked your writing sample. I would like to ask you to 'pick a type' to focus on... Girl Next Door feels like her 'look' and attitude (maybe - very approachable and likable, etc) so highlighting her Artsy-ness would be AWESOME and spark a lot of RP.

I don't think I quite understand what you're suggesting. Typically, well-rounded characters aren't a stereotype.  Not sure if the "type" is supposed to be the cliques they fall into or an actual "type", since being required to be a "type" seems like it forces a character to be one dimensional.  I thought her artistic side was something the game didn't have, yet, but it isn't my intention to have that solely define her.  Is that what you're suggesting?  As I said, I'm not sure what you're asking.  I had trouble picking a type, because she doesn't cleanly fit into a single stereotype, and my hope is that none of the characters do.

assleigh

Sorry to be confusing... This isn't really any kind of constraint, it's more 'if I were to walk into the school and looked around, which clique would she belong to?' thing... Or put another way, since all the characters have been in school together for atleast a year, 'if I don't really know <character X> I'd know he/she is a <fill in Type>'

I'd say except for 'teacher' none of the characters are 'one thing' but it helps with first impressions/preconceptions.

I didn't mean to make it sound so 'important', it's just a part of keeping things in the High School feel... And honestly just tells me where to 'place' your character in a list that's part of the 2nd stage of the approval process :)
The queerest of the queer ... I know what's good for you (You can touch me if you want)

My ONs and OFFs

Vergil Tanner

I think what Assh means is that choose the "type" that people would usually label her. Take one of my characters, Dante; he's not your stereotypical rich kid or popular kid - in fact, I would argue that he isn't popular - but since he's the boyfriend and the brother of a couple of "popular" kids, that's who he tends to hang out with...which means that's what people usually label him if pressed, because that's who he spends time with. :-) It isn't a specific archetype to work with, it's more of a label that others would give her. It's not extremely important, it's more of an ease of classification sort of thing. You don't need to be at all stereotypical :-) Also, if she's from a moderately wealthy family, how does that factor into being the Girl Next Door? My impression was that the Girl Next Door was just an average but good looking girl....I might be wrong, though, haha. That isn't me being snarky, it's an honest question :-)

@Jamessurewould:
Mmm, I still agree with Assh in that it's a bit of a "weak" RP hook. The flaw is meant to give people ways to get involved. He can be OCD, but I think it would be easier for you as a player to come up with a more...I don't know, hookable flaw? :-)

AribethAmkiir

I think, largely as part of her flaw, she would try to make sure she fit in with the popular kids. 

I see her as one of those kids that fits in with a number of cliques, but doesn't define herself with any of them. 

If she had to choose, she would claim she belonged to the most socially accepted clique that was. 

Considering what we've been told about the school, it's possible that belonging to the theater program is a bigger deal than being an athlete.

Does that help at all?  Can you give me any more info on the setting that might help me understand what the most important thing in the school is?

@ Vergil Tanner:  Since this school seems to be "elite" already, I don't see a lot of people coming from inner city, poor or impoverished backgrounds.  I assume that most of the students come from upper middle-class or better.  As ash suggested, "Girl Next Door" is more an attitude and appearance than anything.  She doesn't believe she's the best at anything.  She doesn't believe that her family is better than other people's.  To me, "Girl Next Door" means that she is humble and grounded enough to fit in with almost anyone.  This isn't likely 100% accurate, but it was the closest descriptor I could think of to describe the character.

Vergil Tanner

I don't think there's a "most important thing," since we haven't reeeeaaally fleshed out the school that much, but I would imagine that American Football would be a big deal, and given how big the theatre production is, theatre would be a big deal as well, though not as big as the AF. The fact that they have an Olympic gold medallist as a fencing coach might also make them keen to make fencing their forte :-)

I don't think the school is "elite," since we've actually chatted amongst us and decided that we have too many wealthy people for a supposedly average school, haha. I think it's probably in a middle/upper-middle class area, but since it's a public school, anybody can get in if they have the grades. It was just a question to see what you think of as a girl next door, and considering the likely well-to-do area the school is in, you answered beautifully :-) Thank you :-)

On the note of her flaw, are you suggesting that she has a minor inferiority complex? That could certainly prove interesting, if that is indeed what you're hinting at :P

Paladin of Lust

Actually, Vergil, Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson High School would be considered an 'elite' school. Not average at all. I take it you haven't read the setting information. :p

You're only given one little spark of madness. You musn't lose it. - Robin Williams

AribethAmkiir

Quote...It has a world famous STEM program that feeds int Caltech and a theater program that has graduated more then it's fair share of stars. It's faculty are all thought leaders in their field of expertise and hail from all corners of the globe. More students graduate and go to top colleges and unversities then any other high school in the area...

This segment is why I called the school "elite".  It's the best school in the area, and knowing how public education is, I'd assume that it is one of the best in the state and probably nationally ranked.  The bit about the financial aid rewards made me think it was a private school with tuition, though rereading it I see that was in reference to colleges.

In my opinion, unless the school hosts a sport's team that has won numerous state championships, it would seem the theater program is one of the school's claims to fame.  In Texas, and other southern states, the sport would have to be football.  In California, the sport could be whatever ash or the group wanted.  As you said, the big "sport" could be fencing.  Though, considering the theater program has graduated "numerous stars", and those stars are likely to assist the program and school as alumni, I would assume the theater program is larger than football, basketball, and every other sport at the high school combined, (unless they have a team that has won numerous state championships) especially if the majority of students come from affluent families.

Vergil Tanner

Welp, colour me mistaken. It's been a while since I read the information since...well, I already have a character so I didn't need to :P In that case, wealth makes sense, haha.

And I think it was hinted that the football team had won some championships, but nothing specific has yet been stated, so it would make sense that fencing and theatre were the biggies. Really, we're in kind of a state where nothing specific has been nailed down about the various sports, haha. That's up to our Lord and Mistress Assh. :P

assleigh

@ AribethAmkiir -I totally understand Nichole's playing with all the tribes thing, I' not trying to pigeon hole her or limit your RP, just trying to facilitate quick impressions of all characters with each other. All right, I'll put her in the popular clique :)

Hehehe Vergil, it's JamesSureWould's Cameron who has OCD :)

And... What PoL said... The high school is the best of the Public School's in the district and yep, Aribeth, it's got a strong theatre program and given the proximity to Hollywood, it's got a lot of clout. Sports are still King, ofcourse.

I'm fine with a real divide between some characters, upper Middle Class-wealth vs. Poor kids... But yes, at this point, we will need to cap real wealth... 'comfortable' is ok, but rich not so much any more. I'll alter the initial post.

My ONs and OFFs

Vergil Tanner

Damnit, that's what I meant. No clue why I put Arabeth. Edited and corrected, haha.

AribethAmkiir

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 01, 2014, 10:48:02 AM
On the note of her flaw, are you suggesting that she has a minor inferiority complex? That could certainly prove interesting, if that is indeed what you're hinting at :P

Minor, possibly.  I'm not sure it's any greater than your average teenager.  It's my opinion that most teenagers have some feelings of inferiority in regards to certain things.  I'm not so sure that it is an inferiority complex as much as it is a self-image thing, or even self-esteem problems.

@ash: okay.  Sorry, didn't mean to be difficult.  I might have a better feel about her "type" after talking to the other players and deciding upon her "reputation".  Type, here, seems like it's much more of how other people would define or describe the character and not necessarily how the character would describe themselves. 

Also, there are schools where theater is "king".  The whole "sports is king", I believe, is an outdated belief and Hollywood trope.   :P

assleigh

I editted the first posts in this thread to reflect who has applied and what they've proposed and made minor tweaks to the game information.

My ONs and OFFs

JamesSureWould

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 01, 2014, 10:24:01 AM
@Jamessurewould:
Mmm, I still agree with Assh in that it's a bit of a "weak" RP hook. The flaw is meant to give people ways to get involved. He can be OCD, but I think it would be easier for you as a player to come up with a more...I don't know, hookable flaw? :-)

I will say, if that's what you want from the flaws, you should probably mark that in the intro. Right now it just says that flaws be fun and make the character interesting. No mention of 'hooking' in other characters.

hmm... more hook-able flaws...
okay, when I hear hook-able, all I can think of is making his flaw 'shameless flirt/minor nymphomania'. I am open to suggestions though

Vergil Tanner

@Arabeth: True, true...although in order to be a flaw in the sense we're using the word - as an RP hook - we might need to brainstorm and come up with an additional facet that gives her some automatic and easy "ins" when it comes to interacting with other characters. :)

@James: Well, what we meant by that and what it gets taken to mean may be different things, but I think what we meant was that it be fun and interesting to roleplay and giving an in.
In regards to your other ideas, I would stay away from Nymphomania. It's actually an incredibly serious disorder and is extremely difficult to RP in a sympathetic manner. I know what you mean by it - he's just mildly addicted to sex - but I would avoid labelling it Nymphomania just to avoid possibly causing some offence where it wasn't meant. Besides that...so long as you don't mind your character probably being slapped for inappropriate comments, having a self-professed ladiesman running around could be amusing, especially if it's only in his own head and the girls kinda look at him like "Oh no, not him again." :P

assleigh

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 01, 2014, 11:29:38 AM
ash: okay.  Sorry, didn't mean to be difficult.  I might have a better feel about her "type" after talking to the other players and deciding upon her "reputation".  Type, here, seems like it's much more of how other people would define or describe the character and not necessarily how the character would describe themselves. 

Don't worry about it, I'm fine with having to explain myself... I know sometimes how I envision things doesn't come out 'right' the first few times... Damn me and my twisty, turny brain.

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on May 01, 2014, 11:29:38 AM
Also, there are schools where theater is "king".  The whole "sports is king", I believe, is an outdated belief and Hollywood trope.   :P

Yah, actually, one of the most popular girls, Candii, is into theater and Mr. Valentine, a world famous actor, leads that program... So it's all good :)

My ONs and OFFs

JamesSureWould

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 01, 2014, 11:39:51 AM
@James: Well, what we meant by that and what it gets taken to mean may be different things, but I think what we meant was that it be fun and interesting to roleplay and giving an in.
In regards to your other ideas, I would stay away from Nymphomania. It's actually an incredibly serious disorder and is extremely difficult to RP in a sympathetic manner. I know what you mean by it - he's just mildly addicted to sex - but I would avoid labelling it Nymphomania just to avoid possibly causing some offence where it wasn't meant. Besides that...so long as you don't mind your character probably being slapped for inappropriate comments, having a self-professed ladiesman running around could be amusing, especially if it's only in his own head and the girls kinda look at him like "Oh no, not him again." :P

good note about nymphomania, thank you for that.
And now I really do like the idea of him being just a shameless flirt. So yeah, unless I can come up with a better idea, that'll be his flaw

assleigh

Quote from: JamesSureWould on May 01, 2014, 11:34:33 AM
I will say, if that's what you want from the flaws, you should probably mark that in the intro. Right now it just says that flaws be fun and make the character interesting. No mention of 'hooking' in other characters.

Quote from: assleigh on April 29, 2014, 04:37:41 PM
CHARACTER SHEET
FLAW: (something critical to your character like 'Exposure to X will kill me', 'Must ingest Y to live', 'Can't break a promise', 'Painfully Shy', etc. Make it fun)

N.B. The Flaw is not something to 'balance' powers, it's a personality quirk, cherished habit, dolorous responsibility, deeply held fetish that can spark RP. So going to Comic Books, Spiderman's need to hold down a job but is always late due to heroing = Flaw, him running out of webbing, not a flaw, it's a power balancer.

I will make it stand out more, but it's in there in the code I expected people to use on their proposals. A big part of making a character to be part of the game is to have LOTS of things other players can use as reasons to interact with your character. It keeps people from sitting around, twiddling their proverbial thumbs waiting for people to randomly come over an play with them.

Quote from: JamesSureWould on May 01, 2014, 11:34:33 AM
hmm... more hook-able flaws...
okay, when I hear hook-able, all I can think of is making his flaw 'shameless flirt/minor nymphomania'. I am open to suggestions though

Shameless flirt is good... So long as the character doesn't stop being a flirt should he get a serious girlfriend... But unless he's Bi/will flirt with other guys girlriends infront of them, it won't help him RP with dudes... But honestly, a ballsy, pathological flirt could be fun... Even if the bit gets him beat down by angry boyfiends from time to time :D

My ONs and OFFs

Paladin of Lust

Theater for the win! ^_^

Anyway, nobody's perfect and we have translators on hand for communication problems, assleigh. (Me.) xD

Also, I love the shameless flirt idea. Hmm...two flirts in theater...one has a boyfriend. Oh, if Dante knew... ^_^

Well, so long as they don't expect to be able to flirt much during rehearsals though. Alexander's very serious about his work...that and Candii has a huge crush on him...as well as seeing him as a father figure of sorts. It's complicated. xD