The SCP Foundation (investigative horror, checking for interest)

Started by Wargtass, April 07, 2014, 06:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargtass

Anyone up for some survival horror missions of Secure, Contain & Protect? Character death approved of but not mandatory, of course.  ;D

For those not in the know, here's the story:

The SCP Foundation
Mission Statement

Operating clandestine and worldwide, the Foundation operates beyond jurisdiction, empowered and entrusted by every major national government with the task of containing anomalous objects, entities, and phenomena. These anomalies pose a significant threat to global security by threatening either physical or psychological harm.

The Foundation operates to maintain normalcy, so that the worldwide civilian population can live and go on with their daily lives without fear, mistrust, or doubt in their personal beliefs, and to maintain human independence from extraterrestrial, extradimensional, and other extranormal influence.

Our mission is three-fold:

Secure
The Foundation secures anomalies with the goal of preventing them from falling into the hands of civilian or rival agencies, through extensive observation and surveillance and by acting to intercept such anomalies at the earliest opportunity.

Contain
The Foundation contains anomalies with the goal of preventing their influence or effects from spreading, by either by relocating, concealing, or dismantling such anomalies or by suppressing or preventing public dissemination of knowledge thereof.

Protect
The Foundation protects humanity from the effects of such anomalies as well as the anomalies themselves until such time that they are either fully understood and new theories of science can be devised based on their properties and behavior. The Foundation may also neutralize or destroy anomalies as an option of last resort, if they are determined to be too dangerous to be contained.

Foundation Operations

Foundation covert and clandestine operations are undertaken across the globe in pursuit of our primary missions.

Special Containment Procedures
The Foundation maintains an extensive database of information regarding anomalies requiring Special Containment Procedures, commonly referred to as "SCPs". The primary Foundation database contains summaries of such anomalies and emergency procedures for maintaining or re-establishing safe containment in the case of a containment breach or other event.

Anomalies may take many forms, be it an object, an entity, a location, or a free-standing phenomenon. These anomalies are categorized into one of several Object Classes and are either contained at one of the Foundation's myriad Secure Facilities or contained on-site if relocation is deemed unfeasible.

Operational Security
The Foundation operates with the utmost secrecy. All Foundation personnel must observe the Security Clearance Levels as well as need-to-know and compartmentalization of information. Personnel found in violation of Foundation security protocols will be identified, detained, and subject to disciplinary action.

Rival Agencies and Groups of Interest
The Foundation is not the only organization with knowledge of and capability to interact with or utilize anomalies. While some of these Groups of Interest have similar goals and may cooperate with us on issues of global security, many more are opportunistic and profit-oriented, seeking to adapt or use anomalies to their own ends. Foundation personnel are instructed to treat individuals from such groups with suspicion at all times, and collaboration with such groups without the explicit prior consent of Foundation leadership will be cause for termination or other disciplinary action.

Does your life simply not hold a candle to the splatterpunk gorefests that are today's entertainment? Always wanted and opportunity to test your mettle against supernatural horrors? Kinda like that one time in [DATA EXPUNGED] when it got a hold and twisted [DATA EXPUNGED] then shoved it right back up [DATA EXPUNGED] in Bulgaria. Good times... Anyway, the Mobile Task Force is the right place for you! Secure them!

Ever fed animals at the petting zoo and said to yourself "Man, I wish this goat was a monster from the darkest depths of my imagination so that I could feed it that fucking toddler who won't stop screaming into my ear"? Our Containment Facilities long for you! Contain them!

Always wanted to explore the indescribable and esoteric reality that drives people mad every day? Tired of teaching science instead of applying it to the face of a hideous monster from another dimension? The Science Division might be your light at the end of the boring tunnel that is your life! Protect them!

Are you one of those terrible creatures, lurking in the gloomiest corners of our world, waiting for the right opportunity to strike out and destroy all those pesky humans? Were you caught and brought in, living your miserable life in this cage they call the Foundation? Don't worry... the time will come when you are free once again.

For more information, visit http://www.scp-wiki.net/ today. You will regret it.

That's all I got so far. Interested? Have ideas and suggestions? Effin post, these things are not gonna SCP' themselves!

FAQ so far!

Q: Sexy time?
A: Did I post this in non-adult? No, so sure there will be sexy time, but only when it's safe! I'm not talking about using rubber here, I am talking about not grinding each other's boners together when [DATA EXPUNGED] is hunting you down in [DATA EXPUNGED] some old granny's basement.

Q: What sort of structure will the RP take?
A: The game will take place in three threads basically. One each of Secure, Contain and Protect which all have very different styles. In the Secure-thread there will be missions investigating and bringing in the different anomalies, surely to become the most gory and tense of the active threads. In Contain, characters can observe and research the contained anomalies, with different outcomes (possible breaches of security may occur where an SCP might... escape). Finally the Protect-thread will deal with the final stages of the SCP, with interactions and further experiments to try and determine the classification and final fate of the anomaly. Personnel are encouraged not to "experiment" with the anomalies, but who's gonna stop them, really? All results are results after all...

Q: Will someone GM?
A: Yes. I'll figure as GM to start with, setting up scenarios for all three threads and guiding the characters through the process. If anyone else wants to create their own SCP-scenarios, they will be welcome to do so. Just have to figure out some sort of tagging system if that comes along...
O/O

assleigh

Sounds interesting... Oddly... I'm drawn by the thought of being one of the captured creatures being contained... Perhaps a demon girl/succubus type... Could that fit the setting?
The queerest of the queer ... I know what's good for you (You can touch me if you want)

My ONs and OFFs

Wargtass

Quote from: assleigh on April 07, 2014, 06:39:55 PM
Sounds interesting... Oddly... I'm drawn by the thought of being one of the captured creatures being contained... Perhaps a demon girl/succubus type... Could that fit the setting?

As long as it fits with the very dark tone of SCP, anything goes!
O/O

Strangefate

Posting possible interest, will keep track of how things come together.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

RedMoon

Hmm, SCP is one of my favorite things.

I'd be interested in knowing more about what the actual RP will be like, what kind of structure it will have, etc.

Is there going to be some type of GM figure introducing SCPs to investigate, or are the players just doing their own thing within this setting?

Wargtass

Quote from: RedMoon on April 07, 2014, 07:03:50 PM
Hmm, SCP is one of my favorite things.

I'd be interested in knowing more about what the actual RP will be like, what kind of structure it will have, etc.

Is there going to be some type of GM figure introducing SCPs to investigate, or are the players just doing their own thing within this setting?

Just about the only thing I have thought out, so I could have saved you the time by posting it in the OP, I guess...   :P

The game will take place in three threads basically. One each of Secure, Contain and Protect which all have very different styles. In the Secure-thread there will be missions investigating and bringing in the different anomalies, surely to become the most gory and tense of the active threads. In Contain, characters can observe and research the contained anomalies, with different outcomes (possible breaches of security may occur where an SCP might... escape). Finally the Protect-thread will deal with the final stages of the SCP, with interactions and further experiments to try and determine the classification and final fate of the anomaly. Personnel are encouraged not to "experiment" with the anomalies, but who's gonna stop them, really? All results are results after all...

I'll figure as GM to start with, setting up scenarios for all three threads and guiding the characters through the process. If anyone else wants to create their own SCP-scenarios, they will be welcome to do so. Just have to figure out some sort of tagging system if that comes along...
O/O

SGTDan

You're like my drug Wart

I'm interested in being a Mobile Team
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

ElvenKitten

TheGlyphstone

How much of the existing Foundation and its SCPs will we be using as our canon versus invented stuff? For example, assleigh wanted to play a succubus-like anomalous entity, which sounds a lot like SCP-166.

Wargtass

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 07, 2014, 10:28:49 PM
How much of the existing Foundation and its SCPs will we be using as our canon versus invented stuff? For example, assleigh wanted to play a succubus-like anomalous entity, which sounds a lot like SCP-166.

No clear answer on this. One of my ideas was to have it take place in the early history of the Foundation, or if set in the present to use the SCP's already in the wiki as an archive for cross reference.

So... I dunno yet, any suggestions?
O/O

TheGlyphstone

My gut reaction would be to have the Contain/Protect segments of the game be at a Site we create ourselves, with completely non-canon SCPs. That would mean we don't have to worry about 'doubling up' on concepts (like assleigh's succubus conflicting with the already-existent -166). Site 34 or Site 69 would be my picks. ;D

Though -166 should still be looked at for reference as the sort of thing SCPs should be, particular (especially) humanoid ones. She's an incredibly beautiful young woman who is always naked, but seeing her drives men into a near-permanent homicidal rape-frenzy, she herself is a devout and chaste Catholic nun, and she only stays naked because even the softest clothing gives her horrible bedsores...the 'sexy succubus' twisted and distorted into horror. I guess what I'm saying is that most, if not all, sexytimes should be between agents and/or researchers, if we're going to make a serious effort to stick to the themes of the Foundation. A captured humanoid Skip would end up locked away/isolated whenever it wasn't being tested or experimented on, so sexytime potential would be at a definite low. Not to mention and such testing/experimenting would be done with disposable D-Class goons, not valuable and hard-to-replace researchers or scientists. If we decide to play fast-and-loose with said themes, obviously that is less vital, but then you lose a lot (I think) of what makes the Foundation so interesting.

Your call, really.

RampantDesires

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Metro Mech

Currently looking for a RP? Why not give my Thread a little look see, see if you can't find something you like?
A/A <- check here if I haven't replied in some time
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
Behold my O/O

Cerulean Dreams

+1 for a definite interest! The wiki's provided me with hours of reading in the past  :-)

Wargtass

Update coming tonight, having considered some of the questions and the like I hope that I can accommodate for all your concerns and suggestions.
O/O

Swordsman18

I tried getting interest for this not too long ago, I sadly did not get anything but I will offer my support and such. Here is the recruitment thread that I threw up:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=197106.0

someinheritthewealth

Swordsman sorry I meant to post my character, I just got overly busy, I had the concept for character and everything... if the person doing this willing to accept my concept a female airman who under the impression she was sent here for punishment, not realizing it was a promotion... pretty much she assumes this is just some science facility not anything like it really is.

TheGlyphstone

That'd be really unusual and unlikely...the Foundation is extremely secretive to outsiders, but it kinda has to be open to its members to do its job. Someone might get 'transferred' to the facility without knowing where they were going, but it'd be the next best thing to impossible to not notice what was going on after a day or so, even if they somehow escaped the mandatory introductory briefing. The only people who never know what's actually going on are the D-class test subjects, and they get killed off every month anyways.

someinheritthewealth

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 12, 2014, 11:43:47 AM
That'd be really unusual and unlikely...the Foundation is extremely secretive to outsiders, but it kinda has to be open to its members to do its job. Someone might get 'transferred' to the facility without knowing where they were going, but it'd be the next best thing to impossible to not notice what was going on after a day or so, even if they somehow escaped the mandatory introductory briefing. The only people who never know what's actually going on are the D-class test subjects, and they get killed off every month anyways.

What if she was meant to guard upper levels, say outside the main facility, she could likely not know anything then surely?

Swordsman18

Well you could say that she was giving Amnesiastic of about Class B shortly after she arrived due to an interaction with some memetic effect or something along those lines. Or she even could have been working there awhile but the drug took her memory back to just before she joined the Foundation. It would be an interesting back story and would allow you to build something up. Also they would not just fill her in to study just why the drug was so strong on her.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: someinheritthewealth on April 12, 2014, 11:58:13 AM
What if she was meant to guard upper levels, say outside the main facility, she could likely not know anything then surely?

Even then...an escaped Scip would need to be contained, so people need to be briefed on what they can do and how to recapture them before it leaves the facility.

This is obviously all up to Warg, but I'd find it extremely unlikely for anyone to be kept unaware like that - it's a potential serious security vulnerability, and when the things you're guarding can end the world and/or the universe, you don't take chances. If she had her memory wiped accidentally, they'd probably either re-brief her, or demote her to the D-class for experimentation.

someinheritthewealth

Quote from: Swordsman18 on April 12, 2014, 12:08:54 PM
Well you could say that she was giving Amnesiastic of about Class B shortly after she arrived due to an interaction with some memetic effect or something along those lines. Or she even could have been working there awhile but the drug took her memory back to just before she joined the Foundation. It would be an interesting back story and would allow you to build something up. Also they would not just fill her in to study just why the drug was so strong on her.

Swordsman I like that idea actually, and it would make it interesting since she can not remember certain details the story she could have been told is she was raped and has gone completely into repressing memories, thus why she chooses to guard outside, out of belief she was raped.

Latooni Subota

An SCP game? Sounds utterly DELICIOUS. Moreso with Wargtass running it! I'd be willing to give it a shot, in the Science Division!
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Wargtass

whole buncha quotes
Quote from: someinheritthewealth on April 12, 2014, 11:05:33 AM
Swordsman sorry I meant to post my character, I just got overly busy, I had the concept for character and everything... if the person doing this willing to accept my concept a female airman who under the impression she was sent here for punishment, not realizing it was a promotion... pretty much she assumes this is just some science facility not anything like it really is.
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 12, 2014, 11:43:47 AM
Quote from: someinheritthewealth on April 12, 2014, 11:58:13 AM
Quote from: Swordsman18 on April 12, 2014, 12:08:54 PM
Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 12, 2014, 12:18:14 PM
Even then...an escaped Scip would need to be contained, so people need to be briefed on what they can do and how to recapture them before it leaves the facility.

This is obviously all up to Warg, but I'd find it extremely unlikely for anyone to be kept unaware like that - it's a potential serious security vulnerability, and when the things you're guarding can end the world and/or the universe, you don't take chances. If she had her memory wiped accidentally, they'd probably either re-brief her, or demote her to the D-class for experimentation.
Quote from: someinheritthewealth on April 12, 2014, 12:31:19 PM
Swordsman I like that idea actually, and it would make it interesting since she can not remember certain details the story she could have been told is she was raped and has gone completely into repressing memories, thus why she chooses to guard outside, out of belief she was raped.

Will have to say I agree with Glyph on every account here. The Foundation works under strict official classification but it is very open to its personnel, seeing as the facilities are only as secure as the guardians are prepared for what happen during a breach. A clueless guard or amnesiac would be either sent off because of the security hazard that they pose or simply put in D-class and hauled into what ever SCP-containment cell was nearby and in need of evaluation.  I  could accept a transfer who simply didn't comprehend exactly how dangerous their work was, for the sake of shock and awe once they are properly introduced to it, but not a clueless one.

Quote from: Latooni Subota on April 12, 2014, 10:58:18 PM
An SCP game? Sounds utterly DELICIOUS. Moreso with Wargtass running it! I'd be willing to give it a shot, in the Science Division!

We cool kids have to keep together after all.  8-)

As for the update of the opening post, I got completely backhanded by work this weekend, so hopefully I'll have the energy to update it with all the intel and sheets you need to get started tonight. I am definitely reducing the number of threads to Away Missions and The Facility, got a little fidgety otherwise.
O/O

Metro Mech

Currently looking for a RP? Why not give my Thread a little look see, see if you can't find something you like?
A/A <- check here if I haven't replied in some time
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
Behold my O/O