Darkness Rising (Rogue, Bane, Ritsu)

Started by Deamonbane, November 30, 2012, 09:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

The land, covered in the green of twenty years without the overt presence of sentient beings, was washed with the blood-red glow of it's sunset. Life felt that the day was at its end, and some cried out in farewell to the sun as it slowly made its way down, while others simply plodded their way back to lairs, flapped their wings towards nests, or, in general, decided that being out of the safety of their homes was just not worth the risk, and went in the direction of where they usually spent their night hours. Because, nighttime was a dangerous time to be out. So many beasts, both real and imagined, came out when the world was dark. None of them friendly.

One of these stood on a hilltop, watching the sky become a watercolor portrait of glory, beauty and majesty. But this one wasn't an elf to be awed by such sights. Nor was he a man, to want to replicate it. He was a nomad, an Orc, an outcast among outcasts. He didn't care. He had his family, and they were relying on him, whether they knew it or not.

At his side was a powerfully built canine, with gray-blue eyes, and a shaggy coat of black and grey, speckles of gold touching him here and there. Not a pet, by any means, standing tall at the shoulder, with long fangs, and an almost intelligent gleam to be seen in his eyes. This was a hunter, tracker, and killer, a wolf of the North, slightly larger than the ones to be found this far south, but, then again, the Orc and the wolf were from the far north, from the cold, from the ice and snow. Why were they this far south? The both of them were hunters, and the both of them were on the trail. But not for food, or sustenance. But for revenge, and the hope of rescue of the ones that they hoped were still alive.

The wolf didn't comprehend this, of course, but the determination that he helped his trainer to find the murderous scum that had slaughtered the tribe, as well as his brother, seemed to gleam revenge in the wolf's eyes.

"Smoke rises in the Southeast," He said softly, as it to the hunter beside him, but more to himself in reality," And they coincide with the trail that we have been following," Whoever these beings were, they didn't know of the subtlety of covering their tracks. Which meant that they were stupid, or were in large enough numbers to warrant such stupidity. That thought made Marko's throat dry, and he gulped, fighting off the sudden feeling of fear.

They weren't running from him. He was running to certain death. At their hands. He sure that he could make them pay for his death dearly, but then, he was but a young orc, proud, viciously so, and very secure of himself. But even these odds were starting to tell on his ego. He scowled, forced it back down, and descended the hill, before he was seen by anyone looking back.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Rogue

Meridith glared at her campfire from a distance. She had had no clue when she picked firewood, that she had of course picked the smokiest wood she could possibly pick. It made since to her that she should probably choose a different campsite, but figured at the very least the smoke would keep away more vicious animal. She sharpened her hunting knife, looking in the direction of the mysterious explosion, or at least a near approximation of it. Outside of her own woods, she lacked a lot of her ability to navigate. For all she knew, she was going in the wrong direction. But she had to fix this. She didn't know if she could, but if anything she would have to try. She catches something running in the under brush and smiles. Dinner, if she decided she could brave the smoke to get to the fire. She grabbed one of her smaller knives, better weighted for throwing and tossed it casually ahead of the rabbit. She went into the woods to find her prize and began skinning it away from her campsite. When she's finished, she selects a stick for a spit and walks back the short distance to her campfire.

Ritsu

The smoke from the fire stood out against the darkening night sky. There was no way that a fire should make so much smoke unless someone specifically was trying to send out a signal to someone. Alyna moved towards the source of the smoke, she hadn't been planning on stopping for a few more hours, but she was willing to take exception for someone in need, especially if it was a member of her people. When she neared the edge of the camp she stopped for a moment to take in the situation. Nothing seemed to be amiss, not even any signs of a struggle in the clearing, and then she noticed the tent and gave a small chuckle to herself. Of course, only a human... She quickly grabbed a branch and began to pull the greenery out of the fire, quickly gathering some dry wood from the nearby trees and started a reasonable fire before she began to hunt more wood for its continuation. She returned quickly enough and sat quietly against a tree to await the human who's camp she'd made significantly safer.

The telltale crashing and crushing of the underbrush came perhaps a quarter of an hour later, just as the sun was ending its decent. It was dark enough that most creatures would have trouble seeing further than a few meters outside the ring of the fire, and that's precisely where she moved, to ensure she wouldn't be attacked immediately.

Deamonbane

The young orc and his wolf companion trekked their way through the grassland between himself and the fire. He was fully aware that they were now very vulnerable, and he hated the feel of the open sky on his back, as if it was disclaiming in bright red letters that he was approaching. He didn't like staying out in the open, not unlike how most predators did. The ones that relied on stealth and cunning, anyway. The snake, perhaps? These thoughts were what calmed the youth down. Of small things, things that were important when they were in their place, small bits of facts that he knew by heart. It was better than thinking about his current situation, that was for sure. He was in a foreign land, practically unknown to him, other than the small bits and pieces that he had managed to pick up along his hurried way here. He was also currently headed to what was more than likely to be his death, and knowing this, he was still going. He owed it to them. He owed the tribe his life, after all.

He almost breathed a sigh of relief when they reached the the cover of the trees. He felt more comfortable here, the cool shadow, keeping his away for the eyes of the sun. Here he was in his element, and for some odd reason confidence filled his veins once more. Death still loomed near, but here, he could hold more than his own. Feeling like he was coming closer, the smell of woodsmoke filling his nostrils, he tugged at the the bow that he had on his back, and strung it quickly, his deft fingers working the wood and horse-hair string easily, in a trained fashion. He pulled an arrow from the quiver, also on his back, and tucked the nock into the string, but not pulling back on it yet.

He moved into the view of the fire, expecting to see at least a dozen men, well armed, with several prisoners in tow, tied up somewhere. But, when he came closer he saw... nobody?

Something wasn't right. And, like any smart animal that knew that a trap was being set, he began to back away, but he heard someone approaching.    Curiosity began to take over his need to survive, and he watched as whoever it was that had placed such a fire. He nudged the arrow back an inch, and prepared for the worst.

And suddenly, and elf moved out of the underbrush, and began to 'fix' the fire, removing the green wood, causing most of the smoke, out, and adding dry wood instead. He generally disliked elves as a rule but killing one like this was generally bad to do. He wasn't a back-stabber after all. He remained where he was, studying the scene, waiting for whoever it was that was approaching, obviously not used to the woods, to come back to her fire.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Rogue

As soon as she got close to her camp, Meridith realized the smoke smell wasn't as heavy. Not nearly as heavy as it was earlier anyways. Someone had found her fire. She moved a little lighter on her feet, keeping figuratively on her toes as she walked, tying the skinned rabbit to her belt. She looked up, searching for a tree that she could jump into. She found one and jumped for the lower branch, pulling herself up deftly. She was light enough the sturdy branch didn't shake nearly enough to make note of... at least to her. She jumped nimbly from tree to tree, occasionally going up as well. One thing she learned from bandits was they didn't look up. She crept closer, and found nothing in her camp. Someone had obviously been here as the fire was fixed. Perhaps they had found the fire as annoying as she had. She jumped down and untied the rabbit. She'd dropped the spit in the forest. She grabbed another one, not searching nearly as hard this time, whittling the edges to something she could use to spear the poor rabbit. The last few days she'd been traveling with a small caravan and it was the first night she'd been traveling on her own. She really had no idea how to build a proper fire, which was sad considering she could work a furnace like nobodies business.

As soon as the rabbit was cooking, a pair of stands her father gave her holding the rabbit up over the fire, she called out. "If you're still there, whoever fixed my fire. Thank you! You're welcome to come eat with me."

Ritsu

Alyna breathed a chuckle as the girl dropped from the branches of one of the trees near the clearing and began to inspect her camp. No wonder she was so useless at this. Human women never get taught anything about practical things. That might mean she's from a city though... I wonder... Alyna sat quietly, and continued watching until the girl started speaking to the air. She snickered to herself and stood when the girl had finished speaking, her silent footfalls guiding her to the side of the ring that would be facing the girl. Her movement was quick and inaudible, and if the girl had blinked it would have seemed as though the elf had materialized before her, the decorations on her face shimmering in the light. "I think I may take you up on your offer. You're welcome for the fire. You're lucky you weren't found by something nastier than myself." She smiled politely and waited to be invited closer before moving any farther.

Deamonbane

Marko watched the interaction with interest. First the human arrived, and noticing that her fire wasn't smoking as vigorously as before, and immediately began to thank whoever had done the favor, inviting the person to her fire. He realized that, with the elf's arrogance, she would move out immediately, thinking herself entitled to the fire. And she did. He felt his hackles rise at the sound of her voice, immediately associating it with the poor treatment that he himself, as well as his tribe, had received from their kind. He kept back a low snarl.

At what she said about 'nastier people' he felt his blood boil, certain that she was speaking of him, or people like him. He moved forward, like a shadow among shadows, and was only seen when the firelight touched his face.

"Like me?" The young Orc hissed, the shaft backed into his bowstring aimed not at the human, but at the elf.

Rogue

Meridith shivered as she saw the Orc appear, her hand again on her knife. "Believe it or not, I can handle combat just fine. I'm just used to a warm bed afterwards." Her instincts to protect put her in between the elf and the arrow, despite the knowledge said elf could defend herself. A bright force field appeared around her and the elf as she whispered a word. "Now, the way I see it," Meridith said calmly and slowly, "she hasn't done anything to you. I, of course, could be wrong. But, in the mean time, I'm getting hungry. You, sir, are scary, but," She glanced at the wolf at his side. "I've never known an animal to like a truly evil person. If you and the elf promise not to fight, I'd like both of your companies tonight." She looked nervously around for more people to appear. "I'm not used to being on my own in the woods at night. And I'd like someone to watch my back."

Ritsu

Alyna smiled at the glowing sphere that surrounded her, "That's a neat trick you have there." after a moment's pause she spoke more quietly to herself and stepped over to the edge of the bubble behind the human, "I wonder..." a bright blue glow surrounded her and her hair began to stand on end. If either of the others could see her face they would have seen the markings glow with the same light, and several new ones appear, most notably an infinity symbol directly across her forehead. She pressed her hand against the edge of the orb, slowly slipping the fingers through and drawing them back again. With a deep sigh she released the energy and her shoulders sagged, the toll from using such a vague branch of her power visible across her face and posture. "Tingly, nice touch." she chuckled quietly as she turned to address the Orc.

"While you are a perfect example of the phrase, unless you're a bandit or highwayman, and trust me I use the term man loosely, no, you weren't who I was referring to. Though I'll definitely have to classify you as a rude thing, seeing as you interrupted a perfectly civil conversation uninvited and with weapons drawn no less."

Deamonbane

She was smarter than he was. Of course. And the fact had his blood rushing up to his head, having him inches from launching his arrow. They had been taught in magic as well, and many, many beasts that attacked them, or provided them with food in the wild north, had their own sorts of protective shielding. So the tips of arrows, spears, knives, etc, were all crafted with counter spells. Of course, he didn't know what sort of spell this human was using, but he was fairly confident that his arrows would piece them. But that wasn't the point. His bluster had been all but beaten down by the elf's skillful words, and while he was more angry now than before, to shoot would mean that he was more hostile than he actually was.

Begrudgingly, he lowered the weapon, and slowly released the tension on the bowstring, and finally putting the arrow back in the quiver," I am sorry," His voice was terse and warm," I was on the hunt of someone else, and I came upon your camp," He shook his head, face red, and not from shame, but from repressed anger," I would kindly ask," His gaze avoided the elf pointedly, and his felt his anger leech away," If I could share your fire. I brought some food with me," He indicated to a pouch hanging from his back. The wolf beside him merely bared his teeth for a moment at teh elf, as if it understood what she had said, and fell back to looking alert, in a relaxed way, licking his chops.

Rogue

Meridith sighed. The fight wasn't resolved in the way she would like, but she would take resolved. Her shield lowered and she stepped to where she could see them both, her back to the fire so she could see those coming on her. "Alright then. I'm Meridith. I would request you both stay with me tonight and perhaps we could watch each others backs." She eyed both of them wearily, waiting for either or both of them to run from her. She didn't have much choice in choosing to trust them. If they wanted her dead, either could sneak up on her in a second. She'd sleep with her shield up. The magic the explosion had blessed her with. She'd never really tested if it faded away when she fell asleep, but that would show tonight. It would come in handy later if she was alone and attacked.

Ritsu

Alyna didn't say anything in response, to the Orc's request. If she wants him to stay so be it. It's her throat. Instead, she turned and walked to find a seat at the edge of the fire, watching the flame dance and lick at the branches. She sat, contemplating for a moment before looking to the wolf and speaking quietly in a strange tongue, "Come, sit with us, you're welcome here. We wont attack as long as you return the same courtesy." With her obligations to be cordial fulfilled, she began digging through her pack for her food. It was a conglomeration of nuts and dried fruits, finely chopped and mixed with a portion of honey before being bound into bricks that would last nearly indefinitely if kept dry. She broke off a piece and began chewing thoughtfully.

Deamonbane

Marko watched in interest as the wolf's ears pricked up. It tilted its head slightly, understanding what the elf woman was saying, but not answering. Instead, he sat down on his haunches, taking a piece of meat offered by Marko, and watching the elf carefully, lest she say anything else. Marko shook his head, and he sat down, cross-legged before the fire, warming his cold extremities before pulling the pouch out. There was a deer flank, wrapped up in oil skin and well preserved with herbs and salt, as well as a fresh rabbit. He skinned the rabbit, pulling out a pot, and filling it with some water from a stream nearby. He had some oats as well, and he when teh placed the water over the fire, he added the rabbit meat, oats, and some roots and dried vegetables that he carried with him. He knew better than to go out into the wild, on a journey of which the destination was unknown, without plenty of food. The flank was from when he was hunting back at home back... how long ago was it again?

The water began to boil, filling the clearing the a mouthwatering, and yet somehow subtle smell. He nodded, added a bit of salt, and a few herbs of his own, and took a spoon, and stirred the liquid. He looked over at the elf, and fought back a huff. What sort of self-respecting creature of the forest, something that elves seemed to think themselves as, would eat something so... so... civilized? He scowled, and turned away," Do you want some?" He asked the human. She was different, completely unknown to the ways, curves, and flows of the wild. And yet, she seemed completely unafraid of him. The humans that Orcs dealt with usually treated them with distrust at best, open fear at worst, and Orcs were used to being trusted only other Orcs. This seemed a bit out of place for him. Despite the fact that she was cooking something already, he had asked, knowing that there was little goodness in a rabbit's meat alone.

Rogue

Meridith nodded, already having been drooling at the smell. She accepted some of the stew happily, bringing out her own bowl to do so. Having been raised by her father, she really had no clue how to cook. They usually ended up supping with a random family each night, thankful for the protection they provided the town. She smiled at the orc as she dug into the food, eating the delicious stew and sharing the rabbit with him. "You both never gave your names," she noticed as she went to offer the elf some rabbit, finding herself unable to find her name. She thought it only natural to give others your name. A simple courtesy she never had to go against since the entire village either grew up with her or were there at her birth. The caravans were always friendly, even if they tried to jack up prices occasionally.

Ritsu

Alyna smiled politely to Meridith before replying, "No, thank you, what I have will be plenty for me. I appreciate the offer though and my name is Alyna." Most elves wouldn't eat meat, but seeing as they kept to themselves very few people actually knew that about them and she wouldn't take offense at her lack of information. I wonder how long it will take them to figure that out. She chuckled to herself, The Orc probably wont even notice... "So how does such a noble creature come to work with such a beast as your companion? she asked, looking to the wolf curiously.

Deamonbane

Marko took a small nibble of the rabbit. It was being overcooked on the outside, but the inside was still raw. He took out a knife and cut the rabbit open. It had been well cleaned, he observed, and exposed the undercooked insides, now showing, to the fire. He got a bowl, put an inch of water inside, and added several herbs as well as salt. With a wooden spoon, he slowly dripped the sauce over the cooking meat, adding some taste to it. Then he turned back to his stew," I guess we didn't," He observed quietly, before filling his mouth again," I am called Marko. This," He patted the head of the wolf sitting near him. The canine ignored him imperiously," Is Cavis," He didn't go on. He wasn't much of a talkative fellow.

He observed again as the wolf's ears pricked up, and he heard a soft whisper coming from the elf. He scowled. The wolf tilted it head a bit, understanding the elf's words. Then his teeth barred, Telling the elf in his own fashion to beware of how she spoke of his friend. The 'beast', he said, had raised him since he was a pup, and showed him only kindness and love. Who was she to judge him?

Rogue

She groaned as she saw the raw meat, embarrassed at her lack of cooking skills. She really needed to better if she wasn't going to kill herself with raw meat. "So you're Cavis are you? May I?" She put her hand over his head, reverent of the beautiful creature. The man beside him was a bit scary, but hadn't done anything to hurt her and even fed her. How was she going to be upset when he hadn't done anything wrong and was even kind to her a bit, cooking her failure? But the tension between him and Alyna was palpable. Was there an issue between their races? What was she going to do about that? Neither of them would likely sleep much when they didn't trust the other.

Ritsu

Alyna chuckled softly, the light melodic notes flitting over the camp in sharp contrast to the wolf's growling, "Yes, I know, judge not lest ye be judged. Fortunately for me I fear no judgement form a Fallen. While I respect your loyalty I'd kindly ask you keep your teeth to yourself. I have no fight with you, nor would I see blood spilled tonight, but I am not some bitch you can scare into place." The elf's face was still light and playful, but her tone was deadly serious. She finished the small portion of food that she pulled off, and replaced her stores in her sack, all the while watching the other two and listening to what they had to say to each other.

Deamonbane

The wolf's teeth barred again, a low growl coming from it's throat, and suddenly the tension broke, and Cavis snorted derisively. Of course the elf wasn't a bitch. Why would she even think that? She was an elf, and if he wanted her to be intimidated, she would be intimidated, there was no question about it. He was a huge creature, lightning fast, and very, very deadly. The human reached over to pet him, cautiously, but Cavis took it imperiously, not giving her any reaction, which, considering him and his usual interaction with strangers, was for the best. Marko reached down to ruffle the top of Cavis's head before offering him some of the rabbit, which the wolf accepted with thanks. Not one that Marko could hear, of course, but it was mutually understood. Marko himself was enjoying his stew. He hadn't made much, only enough for the three of them, and now that the elf wasn't going to eat, they might as well eat a half ration extra. He wouldn't be able to make it last until their next meal, after all. It would spoil.

He offered the human some more, cutting slices off of the roasting rabbit, and placing it in the stew, giving it a delicious smokey additional taste," What you won't eat, he will," He indicated the wolf, who snorted again, eager for such a turn of events.

Rogue

Meridith shook her head. She could feel the tension rising and she didn't enjoy the feeling of it. The elf was even pissing off the wolf. She didn't know what Alyna said, but surely she knew not to insult the wolf's companion. She finished her bit of stew smiling. "Canis is welcome to as much as he wants." She looked up at the trees, wanting to tie herself in one for the night as she had on the rare occasions her and her dad were caught out of town, but she also wanted to show trust in her new companions. She served herself another bowl, eating only half of it before becoming full and setting the rest down for the wolf, filling it the rest of the way for him. If anyone, she wanted the wolf to stand her. Animals had always liked her, and him not snapping at her as she expected was a good sign. "So why are you two out here anyways and traveling alone?" It was odd to see travelers alone, not that she was one to talk. But where she was going, the caravan wouldn't take her. So alone she traveled. Hopefully capable of defending herself. But the other two... well at least it would make good conversation she hoped.

Ritsu

"I'm heading to the once great cities from before the explosion. I want to see what they looked like. If they haven't all been raided that is." She didn't direct the last comment at anyone in particular, but Alyna was sure that -someone- would take offense at it. She moved over to the edge of the camp and started settling against the base of a tree to rest. She wouldn't need sleep, but it would appear that way to anyone watching her in the night. "We should probably set up watches, who want's first?"

Deamonbane

Cavis was more than happy to lick up what was left of the broth, and Marko leaned back a bit on his seat, feeling pleasantly full, belched, unknowing that this might be considered offensive for the more polite company that he was now with, and he petted the wolf's head. He blinked, and raised an eyebrow," My business is my own," He said simply, indicating that he didn't want to talk about it a bit abruptly. He wasn't a very social character outside of his own kind, and he was already being nicer than he would usually have been. But that was mainly because of the elf's cutting remark earlier. He ignored her more recent one with a snort, And he stood," I'll keep first watch," He said, looking around. He found a good tree. He wouldn't be caught dead around a camp fire, after all. His nimble body quickly scaled the tree, finding a perch quickly, and settling into it. The wolf followed him, lying down at the base of the tree, lowering its head down between his front paws, but his eyes remained open, facing away from the fire.

Rogue

"Well all righty then..." Meridith whispered to herself as she sat by the fire. At least her and the elf were heading the same direction. The city that exploded just before she was born causing backlash, including the eventual death of her mother during child birth. When people started to disappear from the village and caravans, she was sent. "I'll take second watch then," she volunteered walking to where she'd placed her pack. She pulled a blanket from her bag, choosing to snuggle with it as she rolled on her side away from the fire. She raised her shield, keeping it bigger than she normally did for self defense as it required less concentration. "Good night."

Ritsu

Alyna whispered to herself in quiet response to Meridith's goodnight, "Goodnight..." She leaned her head back softly against the tree and closed her eyes, taking in the sounds of the forest. She wouldn't need sleep, but she did need rest, so she went into the dream state of her people. The state restored their bodies and minds, but they were still aware of their surroundings, and could be roused whenever they wished.

Deamonbane

The tall Orc, seeming to be in the permanent state of a bad mood, didn't deign to talk to anyone about a good night. He hadn't had a good night in so long he almost forgot what the term meant, almost being the key word. He had those ghosts of a good night, where good, or reasonably pleasant dreams were interrupted by waking up at the oddest sound. The wolf would wake with him, having heard it too, and he would have the devil's own time trying to fall back again. He scowled, knowing that sleeping on trees was the worst in terms of comfortableness, although it did mean that he wouldn't get got with his pants down, figuratively speaking. He shook his head, wondering what it was about elves that tugged at his anger so. His eyes didn't shut, and he kept watch, just like he said he would. Cavis would stay awake with him too, he knew.