News:

Main Menu

RIP Roger Ebert...

Started by Aislinn, April 04, 2013, 05:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aislinn

I normally don't start threads like this...and hopefully this is the right place to put something of this nature.

I feel a profound loss today at the news of Roger Ebert's passing. This was the first time in my life I teared up after reading about a celebrity's death. But Roger Ebert was not a celebrity. He was my friend. I spent hours devouring every word he had written. He was always honest with me about the movies he watched. I respected him even when I didn't agree with him. He introduced me to some of the best movies I have ever seen and was therefore responsible for some of the best times of my life. I am going to miss his voice. His conviction. He made me think about movies in ways I never thought possible. I will miss him. An entire section of those who love films have been left orphans today. The loss is immeasurable.

I remember watching his show was I was young and relishing the lively debates he would have with Gene Siskel....And I remember being amazed at learning that is the only film critic ever to have won a Pulitzer Prize.

What I will remember most is how amazingly courageous and graceful he was during his battle with cancer. I can only hope that if, God forbid, something similar happened to me, I would show one ounce of the courage he displayed on a daily basis.

Sad day....
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Love And Submission

I can't say I'm  a total fan  of Ebert. HE was a really weird dude. I agree with him  using the term "Fascists" For the sort of hard right revenge flicks like Dirty Harry and Death Wish I find some of his  reasoning and the reviews he gave o certain films completely insane.

He gave Blue Velvet one star , he trashed The Last House On The Left for the behavior of one audience at one showing off the movie and judged the film's entire fan base on that one experience. He was also heavily biased against most Horror Movies.

Overall Ebert was a great person with a tremendous mind for cinema that was occasionally clouded by insane reasoning and mind-boggling judgement.

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Oniya

In other words - a very gifted human being.

I'm just kind of torn that his last review was apparently of a Stephenie Meyer's movie called 'The Host'.  What a note to go out on.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cyrano Johnson

The Onion's tribute to him is touching and funny.

I will always love him for the famous panning of "The Brown Bunny".

(DTW, you may well have disagreed with him, but Ebert was hardly "insane" and "mind-boggling" for not liking The Last House on the Left [although... which one?]. He just wasn't into the fetish it was peddling. One cannot reasonably expect all humanity to be on board with one's fetishes.)
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

FeveredDreams

This actually kind of gets me down,  I hadn't heard about till I seen this thread. 

I was always a fan of Ebert,  I usually checked out his site at least every weekend and read his stuff.  I loved how snarky the man could be,  and,  in some ways I often enjoyed reading his reviews than actually seeing some of the movies I had chosen to watch.  I might have to pop in Dark City tonight and listen to his commentary. 

Actually it wasn't last house on the left he panned.  He actually gave the film a great review.  I think the movie everyone is thinking of I Spit On Your Grave. 
Are you afraid of me now?

On's and Offs-  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171318.0

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: FeveredDreams on April 04, 2013, 06:11:24 PMI think the movie everyone is thinking of I Spit On Your Grave.

Well, he did in fact pan the 2005 remake of Last House on the Left. But I think you're right.

(His pan of that movie doesn't strike me as unreasonable either.)
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Tairis

Wow, the onion one was actually rather nice.
"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
- Robert Heinlein

Hyena Dandy

Roger Ebert said a lot of things I would disagree with him on. He liked a different type of movie than I did. But...

I will maintain he is important to films. He made the film review something that could be entertaining on its own. He made 'knowing things about films' something interesting. And if it weren't for Roger Ebert, I wouldn't have all the beloved internet reviewers I love to watch. Atop The Fourth Wall, The Cinema Snob, Nostalgia Critic, SF Debris. Reviews are entertainment, and that is one thing that he brought forward.

He made you think about movies. Even if, sometimes, all you thought about was how Roger Ebert was so totally wrong, he still made you think.

Yes, he said videogames aren't art. Quite honestly, I never understood caring about it. He's a film guy. He says film is better than videogames. WELL HE'S A FREAKING FILM GUY.

Aislinn

The thing that stands out to me is no matter what presence he had on tv, he considered himself first and foremost...a writer. I enjoyed reading anything he wrote, even if I didn't agree with it...because his writing felt natural and effortless.

This is his last blog...his last words. It's sad to realize that just two days ago, he was so full of life.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2013/04/a_leave_of_presense.html
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

FeveredDreams

I can't post links yet but

check out siskelandebert dot org,  for a bit of nostalgia. 

I do hope this isn't pushing any boundaries,  but,  you know I think this is kinda different.
Are you afraid of me now?

On's and Offs-  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171318.0

Chris Brady

May he rest in peace.  He had a good run, and he was always, as everyone says, thought provoking, even when he was wrong.

Quote from: Hyena Dandy on April 04, 2013, 07:21:51 PMYes, he said videogames aren't art. Quite honestly, I never understood caring about it. He's a film guy. He says film is better than videogames. WELL HE'S A FREAKING FILM GUY.
Art doesn't have DLC.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming