News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Into the Unknown (Sci-Fi, Accepting Characters)

Started by MagicalPen, May 06, 2011, 09:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grovercjuk

I have sent my Character and am still interested.

Branwen

Character Name: Sarah Elizabeth Watson

Character Ethnicity: Caucasian / British

Character Age: 23

Desired Position: Combat Medic / Royal Army Medical Corps

Character Description:  Corporal Watson is a young woman in her early twenties.  She has unremarkable brown hair that tends to escape a regulation hairstyle after a few hours, and brown eyes.  Her front teeth are a little more prominent than she'd like and there is a slight gap between them, making her self-conscious about them.  Underneath her fatigues, she has a muscular, compact body with more than average upper body and leg strength for a woman her height.  She stands 1.7m (5'7") and masses 61 kilos (135 lbs)

Character Personality: Upbeat, never given to dramatics, utterly British under fire.  Insecure with relationships and uncertain of her sexuality.  Tends to find the loners and brooders and tries to cajole them out of their isolation. 

Character History: Sarah Elizabeth was born in Stevenage and attended public school until the age of 16.  At 16 she was tracked into a health care preparation school, and joined the Royal Army Medical Corps upon graduation at 18.  In the five years she's been in service, Sarah has proven to be capable, upbeat with her squad and patients, and very cool under fire.  She was promoted to Lance Corporal after four years, two of which were spent policing the ever fractious Afghanistan hinterlands.  The Americans, for political and economic reasons, had been unable to remove themselves from Afghanistan and are now in their third decade of occupation.  The British military uses Afghanistan to blood their combat troops and to test new equipment and operational tactics.

Last year, then Lance Corporal Watson wason patrol with her squad and an Afghan military squad near Nad E Ali in Helmand Province.  An ambush split her squad in two, leaving her with the Afghan squad with a single interpreter.  Pinned down for almost twenty minutes, Watson and the Afghan squad were exposed to continuous fire from enemy combatants in an irrigation ditch a few hundred meters away.  She ran to give medical care to a wounded Afghan, and carried him back across one-hundred meters under fire to treat him in a safer location.  During that time she also used her weapon to help fight back a probing attack.  After the firefight, Watson carried the man for almost half a mile on her shoulders, refusing help, until they were able to link up with a vehicle mounted patrol on the road. 

Along the way back, she treated the soldier she'd personally rescued and two others, allowing all three of them to reach the field surgical hospital alive.  For her actions she was recommended for, but denied, the Military cross.  She did receive a meritorious promotion to Corporal and went back to her squad.

Her name, along with several others, has been forwarded to the Project for consideration.  As of yet, Corporal Watson is unaware of her nomination.  She remains in Afghanistan along with her regiment.

Frelance

I am still interested and I will be sending your my character in a few hours.
Evolution is an arms race

Hesperus

I'm interested in playing the sniper on Fire Team Alpha. I'll work up a bio first thing in the morning!

MagicalPen

If you haven't sent them in yet, send me your character profiles.

Ships crew is still looking a little skimpy, but another day or two and I plan on getting things started.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Branwen

Frelance

Character Name: Kail Macarth

Character Ethnicity: Causation, Canadian from German decent.

Character Age: 32 years old

Desired Position: Xeno Engineer

Character Description:
Kail is 6'0" even and has a slim body but well defined body. This is only broken by the increase of muscle mass up the right half of his torso. This is necessary for support of the robotic-Drone hybrid arm that starts a few inches above where his right elbow would have been. The support frame that is fused to the bones of his arm, ribs (front and back) and shoulder but the only sighs of it are the raised tissue that clearly defines it and the scar tissue that covers most of the area. His green eyes are always alert and can be found searching an area most of the time. Light brown hair is kept short and out of the way. Character Personality: A fairly friendly person but will not stand for much intrusion when it comes to his projects or things that he thinks are no one else’s business.

Always couscous to find out how things work and to find something that has never been discovered before. He is always thinking of new ways to use the things around him. When he has a project he will work hard until it is finished and has risked bodily hard when he found that the situation was worth it.

Main section of his robotic arm:

Character History:
Born October 3, 1993 Kail in Calgary Alberta. He attended a public school until the age 18. In that time he entered 90% of the contests offered at the school that had to do with engineering, robotics or biology and coming out in the top five in each. Even with his heavy involvement with the science programs in his school he stayed fit and joined a track team when he was given the chance.

Soon after graduating high school he entered college where he did a double major in robotic engineering and Bioengineering. He was in the top five percent in all of his courses so when summer break came along in his third year he took the chance to get away from his college and go to a conference in Los Angeles. It was barely a day after he arrived the aliens attacked sending the city into chaos. Kail ran and hid for the first day only to get caught in the cross fire from the Drones and a squad of Marines.

When the fire fight was over the squad tried to send him back towards the rest of the human forces but he would not leave. Instead he went to the nearest drone body and started examining it. He paid particular attention to its weapon and how it was attached to the drones arm. He spent a good ten minutes trying to cut it off with a combat knife but only succeeded in cutting of a section of the material that attached the arm. At that point he agreed to leave with the marines.  He spent the rest of the war fighting with the squad but two months before the war was over he was injured in battle.

When he woke up a two weeks later from a comma he found out that he had lost his arm from just above the right elbow. As soon as he was released he went back to school and finished off his degree and at the same time he kept up on the research that was being done on the drone technologies and the development of robotic arms. When he graduated he was accepted for a job in the nation’s top research facility where he rose through the ranks with surprising speed. By the time he was leading a research group they rapidly closed the gap between what he thought was just a dream and turning it into reality. A few months after the trip to the month was accomplished Kail and his team revealed the prototype alien-human robotic arm. The arm was made of metal and plastic, but it used the reverse engineered inorganic material that the drones used. Since then he has continued to provide more and more reverse engineered inventions. He was one of the first Scientists picked to go on the mission and is currently in the International space station.

Chrystal

PMed you a Char sheet, Eeyore... I am totally willing to change her as required to fill whatever roles are still open...

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Kate

I sent Eeyore a version of my original character but without any of the mod cons (she was too futuristic).

A more humble form of her will appear I hope.

Frelance

Eeyore have you decided on a design for the ship already?

Kate

Name:

Aurani Peel

Ethnicity:

Caucasian

Desired Position:

Xeno-Archeologist (Either as expert or one of the scientists)

Personality

She is one that often pressures for the ship being primarily used to hunt these new objects.

Description

Height: 6'0
  Height: 70 kilos
  Appearance: See photo

Ms' Peel dark-haired bob haircut has always been distinctive and one for loud outfits, and the one she has taken to now is no exception.

History

Aurani's guesses on uses for certain aspects of ships left behind by the alien race greatly aided being able to figure some core aspects of their technology so quickly. She soon became famous from being interviewed frequently to give her opinion to the public on what has been discovered, and her reasons for thinking so. Aurani's unusual insights into the mentality of the deposed aliens quickly elevated Archeology back into headlines, Xeno, being its grandest. For this reason she was selected to be on board in the hopes that she may do the same for what else the ship may find. Most know the ship is for exploration for its own sake, but the idea that some other aliens may have left some equipment from past failed projects all to eager to have their secrets known to fresh eyes consumes this girls mindset.

She would come over similar to lady Ga ga if you were to meet her, but distinctive personalities and views are common place from the city she comes from, what remains of it. Her entire family was lost to these aliens. Her ability to stay focused on what is interesting was a role model to some in her generation. Not a good reason to be popular but one that was appreciated by some. A pseudo celebrity, no red carpets, but she is well known for comments which rang true in many hearts. She wouldn't be the best scientist in the xeno division but she would likely be the best known to those outside her field.

Chrystal

Character Sheet.

Character Name:  Chief Petty Officer Dana Spears

Character Ethnicity: British, Caucasian

Character Age: 25

Desired Position: Navigator

Character Description: Dana is pretty, in a skinny sort of way, blonde, tall, and fit. In her mid twenties, she works out regularly and eats healthily to maintain her figure. She stands 1.78m (5'10") tall but masses only 49kg (108 lbs). Her bust is a slender 34B, 28 waist, and 32 hips

Character Personality: Dana is rock steady when under pressure, but tends to go to pieces in social situations. A lot of people think she is shy, but in fact she has a very mild case of Asperger's syndrome. This does, however, give her the unusual ability to be able to perceive spacial relationships in her head, in three dimensions, that would fox many a "normal" person. She can also perceive patterns that others cannot, making her good at data analysis and programming.

Character History: Dana was still in school when the aliens attacked. The horror of the attack was something she never wants to live through again. She was lucky to be living well inland, but even so, she lost most of her family. She survived though, actually joining the resistance at age 14.

At 16, Dana joined the newly reformed Royal Navy, showing an immediate aptitude for navigation. She seemed to get on well with the alien technology, being able to some how figure out things intuitively that even the brightest scientists spent hours looking at. She quickly rose to the rank of Chief Petty Officer.

When the manned mission was announced, she volunteered immediately. This was the chance she'd been waiting for, to go back out there and kick some alien backside!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Phantasmatical

I'm still interested; just been quite busy working a show the last few days. My idea is still firmly in my mind, and I plan on refining it and putting it in proper format tomorrow. Definitely looking forward to this. :-)

Kate

Quoteto go back out there and kick some alien backside!

lol. If this is the worlds first star-ship, chances are its everyone else who is going to kick ours :)
But I do hear the resentment... loosing one's family to something does that.

We are sort of newborns playing in sand pits compared to other races that can build, ... in some ways. Hopefully not all. Finding friends is the best hope... unless you find ...

Makes one wonder though, if we didn't have the dark ages literacy wouldn't have been lost to the western world.
Which means we "could have been" 500 years ahead, or most likely more because some translations are impossible now, where if the dark ages didn't happen - more relics would be more meaningful, and more of their knoweldge gleaned.

We only really started the scientific approach since the renaissance. 14-17 century to now 21st century.That's JUST a few hundred years with ONE methodology. There could be other methodologies of understanding/exploration or creation that could return accumulative benefits like the scientific method, but different. Where there is one their could be many more, (not just the same one with a different focus or lean.. but utterly different landscapes).

Even having 100 years head start. Would be the very first automobile build (working prototype or "project") against the latest car / truck / tank (refined, tested, mass produced ... PRODUCT ).

Knowing NOTHING else other than gives steven hawkin's view credit (who believes that aliens are likely to exist but its not a hot idea contacting them while we are so primitive, from a scientific perspective they would "own our ass and do with it as they please, without even a chance of options from the human race changing its own fate or destiny. I.e. unless they happen to be benevolent ... Race over. "Game Over" Human "race"

Imagine being the person making the decision on that one.

About as big as "oops" can get... "um opps sorry all, I just well assumed they would benevolent because I assumed that if they were not they would have killed each other off before they could make space-ships.
The idea that its not necessary because we can now and are not makes me feel a little silly. I also thought if they didnt need us or our resources they wouldn't be cruel for fun, I was wrong on that one. Still to my credit, I just thought because we got luckly last time we probably would this time too. Yeah yeah, opps. Really sorry about that." lol

MagicalPen

Still waiting on a final character sheet or two.

Then I will get the OOC Started up and we can go from there.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Chrystal

Eeyore, dear, may I make one or two suggestions regarding bridge crew? Obviously if you don't get sufficient players they will need to be NPCs, but you need a pilot or helmsman and a weapons control officer.

Please follow my reasoning:

This is a military vessel, it is armed. We know there are hostile aliens out there. We've met them. We don't know how widespread they are, we don't know whether they are alone, we don't know whether they are the dominant species in the Galaxy, in fact we know Jack-Shit! (IC-ly speaking).

So, the ship has weapons adapted from alien technology which are capable of taking out an alien ship, we hope.

I don't know who you had planned to have flying the ship, but as the crew list stands it would be you, me or the comms officer as we are the only three bridge crew. That won't work.

In a combat situation, the Captain needs to be concentrating on the big picture: What are the enemy doing, where are we going, how much fuel do we have, how many shots do we have left, is there a way out of this? He can't do all that and fly the ship.

Likewise, the navigator needs to be looking at where everything is in the system (whether in combat or not). She needs to be aware of all the spacial relationships between all the various things in system, where the gravity wells are, how they interact, what effect they will have individually and collectively on the ship's course, where other ships are, where they are heading relative to where we are heading, is there any chance of a collision... And she can't do all that and fly the ship. Especially not while being shot at!

So you need someone to push the buttons, pull the levers, turn the wheels, or think the thoughts into the interface to actually make the ship go where it's heading... and who can concentrate SOLELY on that task, including taking evasive action when required if the navigator screws up or the captain is distracted.

A computer won't do. A computer is needed to make it possible for humans to control a ship travelling at the sort of real-space speeds we are talking about, but a computer is not capable of making the sort of snap judgements required in a combat situation.

Now for the weapons officer - unless you classify shooting at someone as a form of communication, which I guess it is! Again, neither the captain nor navigator should be the one who actually targets and fires the weapons, for the same reasons. The captain should just order "Target that ship, fire when ready", and go back to worrying about everything else. The navigator is too busy worrying about everyone else's weapons to fire our own.

The communications officer actually has nothing to do in combat and so is the ideal candidate - unless we are contemplating fleet actions with allies - in which case the comms officer is going to be busy too!

Oh, and Comms can't fly the ship for the same reason as it is illegal in most sensible places to drive while talking on the phone!

Hope that isn't too technical. I'm a sci-fi geek and I love the science of space travel.

I'd love to talk to you about the actual "mechanics" of the space ship at some point?

MagicalPen

They'll just be NPCs. I was actually hoping for a larger PC Marine Contingent.

I also don't want to ruin any of the tricks I have up my sleeve, but the ship-crew will eventually find itself on a planet where there will be very few ship-board things to do.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Chrystal

Figured as much... Of course "Navigator" becomes "Cartographer" in that situation...

Going to PM you about something...

bigwad73

Say, would you be willing to change one of the Xeno scientists to an astrophysicist? 

This would be someone who'd be involved in surveying new systems ("Big gas giant, right here in the habitable zone.  Worth checking for large moons with atmospheres, or even habitable ones."), understanding the worlds that the ship encounters ("There's lots of volcanic activity here, so there's a lot of particulate matter in circulation in the air.  Plus some noxious gasses.  We'll probably need filter masks, or even environment suits, even though it's got an nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere."), helping with navigation duties ("Ah, that's a flare red dwarf.  A lot of them are.  We need to keep track of the flares coming out of it.  They can double it's brightness, or more, and flood nearby planetary space with hard EM radiation--UV and X-ray, and even Gamma-rays."), and even keeping an eye on sensors ("We're picking up a lot of high frequency radio signals, though I can't deceipher them.  But it seems like data transmissions, not voice or anything like that.  And, it seems pretty sophisticated.")

Just some examples.  I'm picturing an ex-military type who later got a Ph. D., then signed up to help out after the invasion.  How's that sound?
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

Chrystal

Quote from: bigwad73 on May 19, 2011, 06:23:55 PM
Say, would you be willing to change one of the Xeno scientists to an astrophysicist? 

This would be someone who'd be involved in surveying new systems ("Big gas giant, right here in the habitable zone.  Worth checking for large moons with atmospheres, or even habitable ones."), understanding the worlds that the ship encounters ("There's lots of volcanic activity here, so there's a lot of particulate matter in circulation in the air.  Plus some noxious gasses.  We'll probably need filter masks, or even environment suits, even though it's got an nitrogen-oxygen atmosphere."), helping with navigation duties ("Ah, that's a flare red dwarf.  A lot of them are.  We need to keep track of the flares coming out of it.  They can double it's brightness, or more, and flood nearby planetary space with hard EM radiation--UV and X-ray, and even Gamma-rays."), and even keeping an eye on sensors ("We're picking up a lot of high frequency radio signals, though I can't deceipher them.  But it seems like data transmissions, not voice or anything like that.  And, it seems pretty sophisticated.")

Just some examples.  I'm picturing an ex-military type who later got a Ph. D., then signed up to help out after the invasion.  How's that sound?

*giggles* Okay I can't resist this.

"Captain, I can plot us a sling-shot around the giant that will bring us within scanner range of the three largest moons, but the window is pretty tight. If you want to do this it has to be in the next half hour."

"I'm not sure I can even find us a place to put down, Skipper. The only flat areas on the entire planet are molten, and frankly, if I did find somewhere flat, chances are it won't stay that way long!"

"Roger that, I'm on it... Uh, yeah, Skipper, might be best if we plotted a course the other side of the star. If what (Bigwad) says is accurate, we're currently heading for barbecue central!"

"Plotting us a course to triangulate the source of the signal now, Sir. Helm, make your heading 220 by 120 by 85 galactic, 75 percent thrust. Run for five minutes then cut engines and take another bearing.

Kate, I just read your post. You are almost as big a geek as I am! (That's intended as a complement, by the way).

My own personal "bugbear" is that science fiction generally assumes that, because an alien race has superior technology to us in one aspect - i.e. transport, being able to travel between the stars - they must be superior to us in every aspect of technology.

I once wrote a spoof sci-fi story where the aliens arrived on earth to conquer it, but were armed with cross-bows. Gunpowder was a totally unique accidental discovery confined to one planet in the galaxy. Ours! And because we have gunpowder we have kevlar. Which is capable of stopping a crossbow bolt at anything but point-blank range. The aliens didn't have anything like it!

So, of course, the invaders were defeated easily, all their technology captured intact, and Humanity became the new master race!

It was a spoof, and was not intended to be taken seriously at all. But it did get the point across!

grovercjuk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Crusade

This is a interesting book about a similar thing, space tech versus medieval warriors. 

Chrystal

*Giggles* Only Poul Anderson could come up with that one!

bigwad73

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EasilyThwartedAlienInvasion

There's this, too.  And I remember a story that involves a human pilot fighting against a fighter piloted by a amoeba-like alien that can take acceleration in any direction at high levels, as opposed to humanity who needs lower gees and more single vector stuff, instead of multi-vector boosting.

The prologue of the story, though, mentions an invasion in Central Park by a group of squirrel-oids with muskets who are quickly overcome by the National Guard unit that is responding to the UFO landing.  That's how Earth got an FTL drive.  I don't think it's "The Road Not Taken" though...

Anyway...  If you don't need scientists...
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

MagicalPen

I should imagine we could use one more scientist, but I was somewhat hoping for some more Space Marines. ^-^

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Phantasmatical

Do I hear a call for another marine? I started writing up my doctor idea and found that I wasn't too intent on the idea after all, but I reworked the character and I think he'll work much better now.

Edited Again: Character officially accepted, and thus re-posted. :-)

- - -

Character Name: Corporal Ethan Patrick Kastner

Character Ethnicity: Caucasian (mixed Swedish, German, and Irish descent)

Character Age: 36

Desired Position: Rifleman, Fire Team Bravo

Character Description: At a height of 5’7” tall, Ethan is not the most intimidating of men upon first glance. Not that he is inclined to be such either, of course. Broad-shouldered and solidly built without being musclebound, he is in peak physical shape (though he is not inclined to show it off). Usually, he prefers to dress in layers when given the option, tending toward being what his friends sometimes call unnecessarily formal. He does not carry himself with a swagger, but rather shows a kind of quiet confidence, being quite comfortable in his own skin.

His features are considered pleasing to the eye by many, though he is not necessarily considered extremely handsome. He comes across as a very genuine man, finding it both difficult and normally unnecessary to hide his feelings from others. He always has a warm smile ready for a friend, and though he is not inclined to go out of his way to be unpleasant to others, it is usually apparent when he doesn’t like someone.

Character Personality: Ethan tends to be the level-headed one in any given group. He is the one others go to when they need to get things off their chest, and need someone they can trust to be discrete with the information. Approachable and earnest, he makes others feel comfortable about talking to him, and as such tends to have a wide circle of friends. He enjoys spending time with these people, but there are times when he needs to be alone as well, and with few exceptions those he knows are respectful of that.

He likes to remain active, both physically and mentally, though he knows perfectly well that he is no savant. He believes in hard work, and believes that the mind is something that can be improved upon just as the body can be. Still, he does tend to enjoy being physically rather than mentally exhausted, and as such tends to spend more time outdoors than at home when he can.

Character History: Ethan was born in North Dakota to a combination of architect mother and author father, and grew up being homeschooled along with his younger sister, Ashley, who was born three years after he was. His parents felt that it was unfair to him to drop him into a different school every year or even more often, and so they decided to spare him the social trauma of perpetually being the outsider. Or they did as best they could anyway. Friends came and went over the years, and as they did Ethan’s relationship with Ashley got stronger. The two were inseparable from the earliest age that they could communicate with each other on a meaningful level.

When he came of age to be going away to college, Ethan found that he was unable to come up with anything he wanted to do for the rest of his life. Raised around both art and math all his life, he found that while he enjoyed the former and was good at the latter when he applied himself, he didn’t have a passion for either. Ashley, by contrast, knew from the time that she was barely a teenager that she wanted to be a psychologist. That was exactly what she set out to do, and though it was hard for the two to be apart, the family didn’t have the money to send both children to college if they didn’t know quite what they wanted to do. So Ethan went to community college part time, continuing to live at home and travel wherever his mother’s job took the family as a whole.

It was at one such college that he met a recruiter for the US Air Force. At first he wasn’t terribly interested, both because he had no idea what the air force did other than flying planes (and he knew he wasn’t qualified to be flying fighter jets) and because he knew his parents would object, but he did a little late-night research, and eventually decided that maybe it wouldn’t be such a bad idea after all. That mediocre commitment turned into genuine interest once he met the officer who later became his mentor: Warren Higgins. He was recommended to join not the air force or national guard, but the marines, and after some consideration he presented the idea to his parents. Neither was thrilled with the idea, but the world had been reasonably peaceful and they did not expect that he would be thrust into any danger.

Two months out of training, the attack came.

His sister in California disappeared; nothing was seen or heard from her for weeks. Ethan himself was only able to contact his parents once during that time, to urge them to go inland to less populated areas and keep moving as others did the same. He saw many of his friends killed, and was himself hospitalized for three months recovering from severe burns. He took the skin grafts remarkably well, and now the only clue that he once had such horrendous injuries can be found in a neat line of skin that stretches from the left side of his ribcage, around his back almost to the spine, and down across his left buttock and flank. His left leg is severely scarred on the thigh and as far down as his calf, but he did not require grafts there.

When the invasion was thwarted, he remained on duty for an additional year before being given any decent amount of leave. He spent a week with his parents, then immediately left for California to search for any trace of his sister. For the next two years he spent almost all of his downtime looking for a trace of her, but the closest he ever came to finding out exactly what happened was viewing the security video at the practice she had been interning at. The video showed her walking out the door for lunch. After that, he found a friend who said she had a missed call from Ashley at almost the exact time the attacks began, but beyond that there was no trace whatsoever. Finally, he gave up, knowing she was dead. Over the years, he has had a handful of relationships, but for various reasons none of them ever came to marriage. One day, he hopes that still might happen.

Once he was released from service, he tried to go back to a civilian life, but in the end he was unable to do so. He was comfortable with the support and camaraderie to be found in the military, and so he returned, serving in a half-dozen different missions. Recently, he was given the offer to join the military personnel assigned to the Galileo, and he agreed. Although a marine of his rank would normally be leading a squad, given the nature of the mission the traditional structure has been modified slightly, which doesn't bother Ethan in the slightest. Now he is on leave until the ship is ready to take off.