Looking to run a non-adult group RP, 5-10 players

Started by redryder, October 22, 2010, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redryder

I really enjoy storytelling in all of its forms, and a largely improvised story with a buncha people and me as the narrator/NPCs could be a lot of fun. Or so I think! I have some experience in this arena, and I assure you I have more than enough time to keep things rolling along and interesting.

Here are the ideas I'd be interested in pursuing. If any spark your interest, say so in the thread, and whichever garners the most interest will get the start-up.

1.) Post-apocalyptic: We'd either tell the tale of a small town trying to hang on after the end of the world or a small band of survivors trying to make their way to a safe haven through the wastelands. What caused the end? We'll determine that in-game and in-character.

2.) Holiday themed: I have a deep, abiding love for cheesy holiday type entertainment. Since Halloween is coming up, I figure that's what most people would want to play, perhaps with a story about some kids trick-or-treating and getting more than they bargained for. (Not immediately clear on the rules about under-18s in non-adult stories, but I assure you there'd be nothing beyond some monster mashing.) Or something featuring Thanksgiving or Christmas could be fun too!

3.) Straight-up small town story: Could be period set (the U.S. in the 1940s could be fun) or could be contemporary. It would basically just be like one of those TV shows about quirky small towns.

4.) Urban fantasy: A few years back, scientists opened a gate to a universe where magic was prevalent and now it's started to leak over into our world. Players would be an elite FBI squad tasked to keep news of magic's existence quiet. Like The X-Files, but with wizards!

5.) Space opera: Players would be the crew of a small starship, tasked with seeking out alien life, etc.

But I'm willing to do just about anything. I like most genres, and I have a fairly strong familiarity with most pop culture properties. So if one of these spurs a thought on your end, let me know. Collaboration is cool!

Oreo

Quote(Not immediately clear on the rules about under-18s in non-adult stories, but I assure you there'd be nothing beyond some monster mashing.)
Under 16 is fine so long as there is no sexual content.  ;)

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

redryder

Quote from: Oreo on October 23, 2010, 03:27:57 PM
Under 16 is fine so long as there is no sexual content.  ;)
Good to know! Now, we just need to see if there's any interest. I promise I don't bite, everybody!

Nabari

I'd be interested in roleplaying some of these :)
Ideas 1, 3 & 4 sounds good to me.

redryder

Quote from: Nabari on October 23, 2010, 07:23:55 PM
I'd be interested in roleplaying some of these :)
Ideas 1, 3 & 4 sounds good to me.
Awesome, Nabari! #1 is my favorite, but if people show a strong preference for another, we can do that as well!

I dont know

I wouldn't mind joining this. I like the 1st option. Apocalyptic one.

Well count me in, whatever option we'll play.

Rainnefox

This sounds like fun!  1, 3, &4 sound like good ideas.  Is there a particular character sheet that you have as a base for the people?

nk

If you'd have me, I'd like to participate.

Ideas 1 and 5 are the ones I sort of favor but i am not opposed to doing the others.

Question though. When are you planning on getting this off the ground?

redryder

Quote from: I dont know on October 24, 2010, 04:21:23 AM
I wouldn't mind joining this. I like the 1st option. Apocalyptic one.

Well count me in, whatever option we'll play.
Sweet. We'll be glad to have you!

redryder

Quote from: Rainnefox on October 24, 2010, 06:52:29 PM
This sounds like fun!  1, 3, &4 sound like good ideas.  Is there a particular character sheet that you have as a base for the people?
I have no character sheet at present. I was going to let you guys determine whom you most wanted to play, depending on the setting, and we'd go from there.

If you WANT to use a character sheet, though, we could always use GURPS character building system, as that seems quickest and easiest. But I don't think we need particular stats or anything like that.

redryder

Quote from: nk on October 24, 2010, 09:14:25 PM
If you'd have me, I'd like to participate.

Ideas 1 and 5 are the ones I sort of favor but i am not opposed to doing the others.

Question though. When are you planning on getting this off the ground?
I would like to start ASAP. At present, we have four players who are ostensibly committed. If we can get one more, I'll post the opening thread, and we can begin.

I dont know

Nabari

Just so you know, I still wanna be involved in this   :P

nk

Rainnefox

Quote from: redryder on October 24, 2010, 10:12:01 PM
I have no character sheet at present. I was going to let you guys determine whom you most wanted to play, depending on the setting, and we'd go from there.

If you WANT to use a character sheet, though, we could always use GURPS character building system, as that seems quickest and easiest. But I don't think we need particular stats or anything like that.

I'm totally on board with this, I just wanted to know if you wanted certain details to be figured out by the players.  That's all!  :D  I guess it also depends on which storyline we do. 

redryder

Since it looks like we're going to have trouble getting one more player for this, I think I'll just start it up and we'll be our own advertisement.

I'm going to go with #1, if y'all don't mind, probably with the small town setting, so it's easier to work in new players.

Looking forward to it!

Nabari

Rainnefox

Sounds Good!  Just let us know when and where!

redryder

redryder

darkninja0200

redryder

DarkNinja: You're more than welcome! Click on the link in the post just above yours to join up.

nk

Soooo do we need a character sheet up in here? Or are we just playing it as it comes?

darkninja0200

one question... what year is it in the RP and the spirits I assume mean we picked the supernatural one?

redryder

In the RP, it is at least five years from now. At present, there are no supernatural elements, but if you wanted to introduce, say, the ghosts of those who were alive before the end, I would not be opposed. We'll see if there are other beasties out there in the dark together.

As far as a character sheet goes, I'd say anything goes, but if you guys really want one, I can certainly throw one together.