There's snow in 49 states; who's the odd one out?

Started by Caeli, January 13, 2011, 02:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caeli

QuoteThere's Snow in 49 States

There's snow in 49 states right now, covering some 69.4 percent of the contiguous United States. Even Hawaii has snow , though it's on a volcano so it's sort of cheating. Can you guess which state is ruining our perfect record?

Florida! Yes, dumb old Florida is snow-free, making it the New York Giants to the snow's 07-08 New England Patriots. Thirty-two states have winter weather advisories! There's snow in Hawaii (on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa), Texas, California and Louisiana! Every state is pitching in to make this a real American snowpocalypse, and Florida is just sitting it out.

Oh well. Forty-nine out of 50 is still pretty good. And pretty rare. CNN's Angela Fritz calls it "extremely unusual," though since meteorologists don't keep track of awesome statistics like "how many states have snow in them," it's hard to say how unusual.

Why so much snow? Well, the CIA weather ray appears to have created two storms a few days ago—one in the Midwest and one in Texas. Both storms travelled eastward on Obama's command and are meeting tonight in the Northeast, where everyone is freaking out.

The map above, via Google Maps and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, shows snow cover and is shaded for depth. Below you can see maps of snow density and precipitation over the last 24 hours.

Send an email to Max Read, the author of this post, at max@gawker.com.

http://gawker.com/5731176/snow-in-49-states

An amusing article I thought I would share. :-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Oniya

Yeah, they're also the only state in which LeBron James's reputation has improved this year.  Coincidence?

;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

monicaclassycoed

It's been an interesting Winter so far...LaNina has been strong and yet SoCal got a good bit of rain in nov/dec which was unexpected based upon climate model projections.

Monica  Meteorology major

RubySlippers

Florida is not dumb its my home.  >:(

Anyway its climate change we just need to get used to it.

Braioch

I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

KCourtney

Being in one of the states that does have snow....

I AM OVER IT!!!! I want to know when summer is going to show it's wonderful face again. Today is the first day in over a week that we haven't had snow. I hate snow and cold weather, so this stuff isn't for me.

Kurzyk

Snow here in northern louisiana for the second year in a row. Very rare. Awesome stuff. :)

Mithlomwen

I don't mind snow.  I think if I were in a place that didn't have any I would miss it.  But right now, I'm just over it.  I've had enough snow this winter already, thanks.  It could not snow anymore and I'd be just fine. 

But guess what it's doing all day today and most of tomorrow?  Snowing.  *sigh* 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Star Safyre

As someone who's lived in SoCal and Florida all her life, I've never seen snow fall.  Slush on the ground: yes.  Frozen mud: seen it.  Snow coming out of the sky?  Nope, never.

The closest I came was a hail storm that came through when I was nine.  I almost ran out into it, thinking it was snow.   ::)

My ignorance is bliss.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Anesa

I'm waiting on the winter wonderland.  I think we (Oklahoma) will get 4 - 6 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow!  Love it!!!!!!

Funguy81

i remember snow when i was a kid, it was such magical fun   ;D...after 6 years in the army where i spent three winters in oklahoma and korea where i'm forced to work out in that freezing weather.....i'm glad i'm in florida where there is absolutely no snow!!! >:)

Talia

All I can say is "Canada."

I hate the snow and the cold. Spring is welcome and summer is always enjoyed.

For those that love the snow..... well I wish I could ship you some :)

"Does Fedex do snow deliveries ?"
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

WyldRanger

The only thing more fun/annoying (cause I have a love/hate relationship with snow...it's fine as long as I can cross-country ski...and a little on the ground is good, but having to drive in lake-effect snow storms for 2 hours on the way back from classes is already getting a little old >.>) than snow is....LAKE-EFFECT snow! :)

blknwhite11

I'm surprised that there was snow in Hawaii. Was there, really?

Caeli

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

TheGlyphstone

If Florida has no snow when American does...clearly Florida is un-American. Damn Commies.

Harley

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 01, 2011, 07:59:43 PM
If Florida has no snow when American does...clearly Florida is un-American. Damn Commies.

Well that makes me a foreigner.   See if I ever let you visit my country and see our beautiful beaches and Mickey Mouse ever again!     

Caeli

(But we have Mickey Mouse in Disneyland, too...)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Harley

TheGlyphstone

You can keep your Commie gators, we don't want them.

ReanimateMagnus

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 05, 2011, 05:28:39 PM
You can keep your Commie gators, we don't want them.

Would that make them Redigators?

TheGlyphstone

ReanimateMagnus

See I knew that Florida didn't chose the color orange for nothing. I see the connection.