Horde of the Dragon Queen - OOC

Started by Lyku, October 05, 2017, 12:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyku

I will be running Horde of the Dragon Queen.  This is primarily for newer players to learn the system and there are a few people interested.  Feel free to post your character concepts here and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  I do ask that questions here are connected to the campaign itself as we do have individuals looking to learn this system.  Please post when applying if you are new to the system or if you are experienced.

Thank you.

-Lyku
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

Lyku

Please add character sheets to https://www.myth-weavers.com/.  Make an account if you do not have one.  Then please post the link to your character here.
Every great dream begins with a dreamer.  Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.  – Harriet Tubman

Priapus89

Cool.

How do we go about making our character?

Vergil1989

I won't be able to do anything with this until tomorrow or this evening, after I get back from this game shop I was told about by a friend, but I can at least post a character concept easily enough.  I had a wood elf cleric I've used only once that I used to love.  She was heavily inspired by Inara Serra from the cult classic Firefly, (especially since I had gotten my hands on the Sacred Prostitute prestige class from The Book of Erotic Fantasy), but she was a cleric first and foremost, fighting for Corellon Larathian and Sune both.  The former more than the latter, but my point remains the same.  :D
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Lyku

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

Please download the Basic Rules PDF.  This has races and classes for your character, along with the other basics.  For your stats, you can either use a 27 point by in (The cost for each stat is found at the beginning of the PDF, or you can assign the following stats any way you like (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8).

Chulanowa

Quote from: Lyku on October 05, 2017, 12:49:31 PM
I will be running Horde of the Dragon Queen.  This is primarily for newer players to learn the system and there are a few people interested.  Feel free to post your character concepts here and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  I do ask that questions here are connected to the campaign itself as we do have individuals looking to learn this system.  Please post when applying if you are new to the system or if you are experienced.

Thank you.

-Lykux

Always down for 5e! I've got experience in all non-4th iterations of D&D, and would be happy to help newcomers if need be.

Muse

Eomaer Lionblade

Character History

As a poor child growing up in Silverymoon, Jarek Marsk loved nothing more then his grandfather Eomaer's stories about his youth among the Black Lion Uthgardt, mighty and noble barbarians who's totem animal guided them along a more benevolent—if still primal—path than the other Uthgardt. 

In his teen years, being very poor--by Silverymoon standards!--rebellious, and envious of those with more wealth and fewer zits, Jarek got into some trouble with the law for theft.  After a little time in jail and some community service, Jarek was released into Eomaer's custody  Though Eomaer--was by now very old, he dragged Jarek out of the city by his ear to truly teach him the ways of the Utgardt.

It did wonders for Jarek. 

The clean air and exercise (along with coming into full manhood) cleared up his acne.  The brutal honesty of the wild lands cleaned up his sulky soul.  Clear mountain water washed away teen angst.  Jarek grew strong, rugged, and handsome, and began to develop the first hints of true wisdom. 

When Jarek was 20, old age finally caught up to Eomaer.  As the old man imparted a few final lessons to Jarek, he revealed that the descendents of the Uthgar had settled to a life of civilized farming and trading at Beorunna's well—the ancestral burial mound of their people.  Eomar also spoke of his own grandfather Eugthew. 

In battle with a great and terrible dragon known as Frost Razor, Eugthew's ax had shattered on the dragon's scales.  He was knocked across the dragon's horde by a casual swipe of the great white's tail.  As the dragon was slaughtering his fellows, Eugthew's hand closed around the hilt of a great blade of dwarf-forged steel.  As Eugthew staggered to his feet, he prayed to Uthgardt to give him strength, and a mark appeared upon the hilt of the blade—the claws of a lion. 

Eugthew leaped upon the dragon's back and buried the blessed blade in it's neck! 

That tale was the last one Eomaer ever shared with his grandson.  He passed from the realm of the living on the next dawn, but it was not his last lesson.  Jarek wrapped his grandfather's body in blankets, threw it across his back, and began a long trek to Beorunna's Well to bury him with his ancestors. 

It was a long and exhausting journey.  Jarek's resolve was stressed near to the limit by cold and fatigue.  After seven days, when the young man was barely able to think of anything but his mother's hearth in Silverymoon, a great black lion soared over the rise to assail him.  Jarek grabbed his grandfather's sword to defend himself.  The two battled for what felt like an eternity.  The lion's front paw raked deep gouges down his chest 

It was then the the fighting fury his grandfather had spoken of came ot him ofr the first time.  With the strength of a berserker, Jarek drove the sword into the lion's heart. 

Panting for breath, weak from his wounds, Jarek staggered to a spring too drink, wondering how he could possibly find the strength to go on. 

Seeing his reflection in the water, Jarek's eyes widened as he thought he saw his grandfather's face, sixty years younger, looking back at him. 

Five days later, clad in a black lion skin with claws around his neck on a chord and a draamtic scar on his bare chest Jarek reached the longhouses outside Beorunna's Well with his grandfather's frozen body over his back.  For a split second, he felt anger for these people having abandoned their ancient ways, but it passed as quickly as it came.  The civilized Black Lions came cautiously to him offering hospitality and succor.  When asked his name, it was not the word Jarek that passed his lips, but Eomaer.   He graciously accepted food, warmth, a bath and a shave, but found—with no real malice—that civilized comforts satisfied him quickly before he was ready to return to the wilderness. 

He offered three of his grandfather's stories to his hosts and a golden torque to show his thanks, and in the morning, carried his father to the Mound to bury. 

Eomaer sought the grave of Eugthew, meaning to pray in there, and found that the earth had been turned in recent months. 

Angered, he unearthed his great grandfather's bones.  They were disturged, his grave goods robbed, his dwarf-forged sword nowhere to be found. 

Eomar interned both of his ancestors with fresh prayers, then set out with his grandfather's sword to find the thieves. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Muse

For people makning characters, a few ways to start might be: 

Think about your favorite fantasy stories and say, "I want to play someone similar to ___." 

Alternatively, say: "I want to play a (fantasy race) who can do (1-3 things fantasy characters are good at.) 

Alternatively, you could grab a picture and or put together a little character history. 

We can point out races, classes, and backgrounds that might fit that.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Priapus89

I'll probably get a sheet up before I go to bed

persephone325

Oh, oops! I forgot to add in my interest post that I'm kind of a newbie.
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Priapus89

persephone325

What version of sheet are we using on Mythweavers?

Also, are we sticking to the main races listed in the guide you linked? I assume so, because that would probably be easier for the new players? I have some experience with playing other races, which is why I ask. :-)
I don't know.

Muse

I like him, Priapus.  :)  I hope we don't wind up having too much in common. 

Your proficiency bonus at level one is +2.  Which skills did you wind up traing?  If he grew up among orcs, maybe he has the Outlander background?  (goes well with a bounty hunter?)  If he grew up in a human farming comunity, maybe... 

What's the fifth edtion Peasent Hero called?  *looks* 

Folk Hero! 

it's on 131 of the core book, but i'm not sure about the Basic Rules PDF. 

Edit:  Folk Hero is on Page 39 of the Basic Rules PDF. 

(And wow, I'd forgotten exaclty how little was included in there!) 

Outlander isn't in there. If you want the information for that background, let me know and I'll get it to you. 

Persephone, use the Dungeons and Dragons 5E sheet.  :)  I dont know that it exists on myth weavers old sheets system. 

persephone325

Quote from: Muse on October 05, 2017, 10:27:38 PM
Persephone, use the Dungeons and Dragons 5E sheet.  :)  I dont know that it exists on myth weavers old sheets system. 

Merci!
I don't know.

ZameRagues

- Experienced Player Submission -

Physical Details: Rava Fire, Female, 35, 6'2", 180lbs. Paladin Lv1.
Statistics: STR 16 (+3). DEX 8 (-1). CON 14 (+2). INT 10 (0). WIS 12 (+1). CHA 14 (+2).
Backstory: Will write later.
Pure Impulse Plays
Discord - Zame Ragues#8888
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

persephone325

I actually found a sheet for a character I never got to use.

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=651820

I know I'll probably need to make some changes to numbers and such, but I'm thinking this will be my character.

EDIT: Ah, hell. Just saw there's no Druid option. Hmm...
I don't know.

ZameRagues

There is no druid option on the basic rules, but I can help you make a druid using the normal Player's Handbook if you'd like.
Pure Impulse Plays
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Muse

Unless Lyku says wer'e forbidden to use the core book--in which case I, too, will need a competely diferent character--then I can provide the information you need to play a druid. 

Given that all three concept ssubmited so far are mucle types, a druid would be really nice! 

persephone325

Quote from: ZameRagues on October 06, 2017, 12:54:24 AM
There is no druid option on the basic rules, but I can help you make a druid using the normal Player's Handbook if you'd like.

How hard would that be? For both of us, I mean?

Quote from: Muse on October 06, 2017, 12:56:41 AM
Unless Lyku says wer'e forbidden to use the core book--in which case I, too, will need a competely diferent character--then I can provide the information you need to play a druid. 

Given that all three concept ssubmited so far are mucle types, a druid would be really nice! 

Yeah, I'm not really the "muscles and fighting" type. I love magic and stuff. ^^
I don't know.

ZameRagues

I would also need to change my submission since Paladin isn't in the basic rule book

Quote from: persephone325 on October 06, 2017, 12:58:16 AM
How hard would that be? For both of us, I mean?

Wouldn't be difficult, I'd just post all the information for a level 1 Druid that is from the Phb (Player's Hand Book)

Pure Impulse Plays
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

Muse

Me too, but i was quite enamore d of thisconcept. 

It looks like when you made those abiltiy scores, your DM wanted you to roll dice. 

The first big change would be, then, to switch to the standard point buy. 

When you do get physical, do you cast a spell to enchant your staff?  Or jsut stay fast on your feet to take a few strikes with a light weapon before you can get bakc to casting spells? 

Either way, this might be a good point spread.  ([size=0px]15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)[/size]

[size=0px]Str 8[/size]
[size=0px]Dex 14+2=16[/size]
[size=0px]Con 12[/size]
[size=0px]Int 10[/size]
[size=0px]Wis 15+1[/size]
[size=0px]Chrs 13[/size]

If you're going to make use of the Shilelagh cantrip, you could priortise constituion or one of the mental ability scores over dexterity.  :) 

persephone325

Quote from: ZameRagues on October 06, 2017, 01:00:52 AM
Wouldn't be difficult, I'd just post all the information for a level 1 Druid that is from the Phb (Player's Hand Book)

Awesome. ^^ Muse's ability layout suggestion would be good, then?

Quote from: Muse on October 06, 2017, 01:03:48 AM
Me too, but i was quite enamore d of thisconcept. 

It looks like when you made those abiltiy scores, your DM wanted you to roll dice. 

The first big change would be, then, to switch to the standard point buy. 

When you do get physical, do you cast a spell to enchant your staff?  Or jsut stay fast on your feet to take a few strikes with a light weapon before you can get bakc to casting spells? 

Either way, this might be a good point spread.  ([size=0px]15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)[/size]

[size=0px]Str 8[/size]
[size=0px]Dex 14+2=16[/size]
[size=0px]Con 12[/size]
[size=0px]Int 10[/size]
[size=0px]Wis 15+1[/size]
[size=0px]Chrs 13[/size]

If you're going to make use of the Shilelagh cantrip, you could priortise constituion or one of the mental ability scores over dexterity.  :) 

Yeah. This was an old sheet. I knew I needed to change the ability scores. lol I just wanted to show what I had. :-)
I don't know.

ZameRagues

It really depends on rather you want to play a Druid that focuses on Wild Shape or focuses on casting spells.
Pure Impulse Plays
Dice Bot - 18627
O/Os

persephone325

Quote from: ZameRagues on October 06, 2017, 01:20:36 AM
It really depends on rather you want to play a Druid that focuses on Wild Shape or focuses on casting spells.

Hmm... I really don't know. I'm usually not an up front fighter; preferring to stay back and cast spell to help out my companions, with the occasional offensive spell (or weapon use) thrown in.

So, I guess that means I'm spell based?

EDIT: OH SHIT! Tieflings!! lol In the corebook you linked me.
I don't know.