Beware: Vista Anti Virus 2011 is a jerk

Started by Sorrows Solace, April 05, 2011, 02:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorrows Solace

So I recently had the Vista Anti virus 2011 pop up on my system, found that it was a virus and got it out to a computer repair shop. Today I got my system back and only after a half hour it popped up again. It's currently being sent in again to get cleaned. I'm thinking of first getting a paid Av/AS program to help deal with this. What else can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

My computer's an HP laptop, a few years old now. It's running Vista, has about 2 gigs of RAM and I think is a single Core processer. Any tips anyone has will be really helpful.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sorrows Solace

No I haven't, I take that it's effective?

The tech I spoke to today said that she'll erase the Cogeco Support system and install AVG(free I think) instead, I've used AVG before and it's alright but I'm looking for something more effective in the mean time.

Oniya

Veks has a sticky at the top of this section on useful computer programs - security and other.  M-BAM is under security, as are a number of antivirus programs, both free and paid.  I got hold of M-BAM when dealing with a similar-type malware a couple years back (roommate's machine), and it did a good job on it.  Install it to a flashdrive from a clean system, as some malware will interfere with the installation of antivirus/antimalware software (sneaky buggers), and make sure to get the latest update.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sorrows Solace

Pandoras Kitten

MBAM works rather well with SUPERantispyware. If one misses an infection the other will find and kill it.

Try your own cleaning next time - those 'repair shops' do charge a lot for cleaning/reinstalling tasks that capable security software can handle. I have had bad experiences with so called IT experts whose only solution is offering to wipe the HDD clean (and creating massive downtime to their profit).

WantAPet

As a computer tech who works on computers and have seen this exact problem several times before, I can tell you it's honestly pretty simple to remove Vista antivirus 2011 (or it's many variants).
You'll need two programs.  One is the previously mentioned MBAM.  The second you'll need is called RKill.  Pick up the explorer.exe version (I'd post a link, but I'm not allowed as a new user).
Run rkill on your computer (regular mode, not safe mode).  It might take a bit and pop up a black window or two.  This is normal.  Once it's done, start up MBAM and let it update (if it doesn't update, as in not able to connect online, you HAVE to do it manually.  Otherwise it won't detect the virus).  After the update, start a full system scan.

After a half hour or so, it should be done (mattering by your computer speed largely) and it should show a list of malware.  There should be about a half dozen or more files.  If there's only one or two, you probably need a more recent update.  Either way, let it delete everything listed.  Once done, restart the computer and if all done right, you'll be set.
As far as preventing it coming up again, you're probably getting it from a usual source.  Email, certain downloads and websites, messenger services.  Consider where you have questionable connections in the past and reconsider using them.

Hope this helps.

WantAPet

Quote from: Pandoras Kitten on April 07, 2011, 07:24:23 AM
MBAM works rather well with SUPERantispyware. If one misses an infection the other will find and kill it.

Try your own cleaning next time - those 'repair shops' do charge a lot for cleaning/reinstalling tasks that capable security software can handle. I have had bad experiences with so called IT experts whose only solution is offering to wipe the HDD clean (and creating massive downtime to their profit).
Oh, that makes me furious when I hear a tech say that wiping down a computer is the only option.  In my company, that's the last resort.  Besides, removing the worst malware (which is just about what Vista antispyware 2011 or it's variants is about the worst you can get) only takes a couple of hours, mostly with the computer running it's own scan.

Odin

I Use AVG and AVAST. CC-Cleaner for spyware, too.

AVG was referred to me very early on in my computing life.

Avast was what saved my father's laptop after it was attacked by a rather malicious virus.

AVAST is free, as is AVG, and I run both on my HP laptop. Works a charm.

Saerrael

Avast doesn't see a lot of things, though. I highly suggest to not use it.

Odin

I Agree, but also disagree.

AVAST doesn't see a lot, true, but it is not designed for 'lesser' viruses. It is to combat viruses that debilitate most of the system.

Recommended to be used only as a secondary anti-virus.

Oreo

I was given a free six month trial of Kapersky with my new laptop and am seriously considering continuing the service. It notifies me of everything that happens and has functioned better than Avast and Avira. I also have M-Bam and Spybot for checking and clearing out potential browser problems.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Kye

Quote from: Oreo on April 20, 2011, 12:04:12 AM
I was given a free six month trial of Kapersky with my new laptop and am seriously considering continuing the service. It notifies me of everything that happens and has functioned better than Avast and Avira. I also have M-Bam and Spybot for checking and clearing out potential browser problems.

I second this.  I got the same deal with Kapersky and it's amazing so far, easily the best one I've every had.

Alysanthia

This just randomly pop-up on my laptop and I was wondering if you ever got rid of it Solace with any of the advice on the thread apposed to taking it a shop. :\

Oniya

I killed a similar virus a while back using MBAM.  It's probably your best first step.

Alysanthia

Just finished downloading MBAM and letting it run now, so far it has only found one threat and I'm hopping it is the VAV 2011.

Oniya

Alysanthia

Update went by quickly and I started the scan soon after.

Oniya

Alysanthia

Seems it worked! I restarted my computer after the scan completed and VAV 2011 wasn't there anymore! :D