Players Wanted for a Game of Modern Supernatural Horror

Started by Eyeomancer, June 18, 2007, 11:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyeomancer

So here's a game I've wanted to run for going on four years now.  The first two attempts failed on other online communities, but third time's the charm, right? 

I'll use broad brushstrokes at first so we can figure out who would be interested.

Setting:  Modern United States, initially, with a broadening scope of locations as the game progresses.
Theme:  Lovecraftian Horror
System:  Freeform
Number of Players:  3-6
Synopsis:  The characters, whom I would like to easily involve in unfolding mysteries with a definate supernatural angle, discover evidence of a conspiracy of alien entities whose activities threaten the survival of the human race, and must stop the sinister plans of their adversaries before It Is Too Late (tm).

Now we can discuss more detail.  I've never run a tabletop game before, though I am familiar with the concept, so I might use some gamer terminology here and there to discuss things, even though the role I see is more of a collaborative bit of fiction-writing between myself and the people in the game.

I'd like to be able to direct the plot enough to involve the players in the rough outline of what I have worked out, which is a number of mysteries to solve, places to go, objects to recover, and threats against themselves to thwart.  Since I don't want the burden of a system, any combat involved in the narrative will be minimal, but there are certainly instances in which your characters may be in mortal danger.  I'd like to have players that will trust me enough to let me still maintain control in such situations, knowing that I will not arbitrarily kill or maim another person's character. 

A character in the right mold for this kind of guidance would be ideally an "investigator," to use the lingo from the Call of Cthulhu game system.  Preferably, the characters will begin the game knowing each other, with a reason to be traveling together.

The level of eroticism in the game is something I will tailor to the needs and expectations of my players.  Any player on player encounters are fine, but in the original outline of the story (which actually comes from an unwritten novel I have kicking around in my head), those elements are largely absent.  But this being Elliquiy, I'm certain there's at least one lass out there intrigued by the possibilities of shapeless, betentacled horrors.

This should be enough to test the waters for now.  Let me know if you're interested, either here or in PMs.

HairyHeretic

*raises hand* Tentative interest.

Are you proposing the Cthulhu mythos, or your own brand of gribblies?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Valerian

Hrm, yes, tentative interest here as well.  I tried to start a vaguely similar story with a single investigator that never quite went anywhere, so this sounds good to me.  Will the characters be established supernatural investigators of some kind to start with?  Or just people who manage to get pulled in somehow?
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Eyeomancer

Quote from: hairyheretic on June 18, 2007, 11:41:55 AM
Are you proposing the Cthulhu mythos, or your own brand of gribblies?

It would be my own cosmology, though a "special-guest star" may be arranged from the normally scheduled Cthulhu mythos.  I wouldn't have been able to do so in the original format for this material because of copyright issues, but those restrictions would be lifted here.

Quote from: Valerian on June 18, 2007, 11:55:41 AM
Will the characters be established supernatural investigators of some kind to start with?  Or just people who manage to get pulled in somehow?

Obviously, it's easier for me to jump right into the plot if the characters already have established themselves as supernatural investigators, although it depends on the crew I end up with as to how they get "pulled in."

HairyHeretic

Are we talking some kind of official (or unofficial agency) or a random group that has come together through shared experience?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

schnookums

I'm interested in this myself, but I'll admit it's because of the possibility of shapeless, betentacled horrors. ;) Dunno how much of that sort of action would come up (I know you said you'd tailor it to the players, but I don't want to derail a game just 'cause of my unhealthy obsession with cthonic carnal acts.)

Valerian

Well, for what it's worth, I'm not obsessed with tentacles, but I wouldn't mind them, either.  Heh.  As long as the plot has first priority so the tentacles won't totally derail the story, probably most people won't mind a few such interludes...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

MagicalPen

I'd be interested too! Sounds rather intriguing and definately not the norm that i play with!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

HairyHeretic

Just to be different, my characters response to tentacles will probably be his military grade shotgun  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Amberghylles

Sounds interesting to me.  And I wouldn't mind a bit of erotic interludes.  After all, tenticles need love too.

Darwishi

Not sure how many players you have interested thus far, but I'd be interested too...and tentacle loving isn't all that bad. (I play females just so ya know.)  Though a question I had is would the detecives here be normal humans, or would they themselves have some kind of minor/major power? ^^

Astalinnon

Eyeomancer

Well, I have sufficient expression of interest that I'll be starting up this game.  Ooooh, such fun!  My comfort level is for no more than six, so unfortunately that means that some people may get cut.  I hope there aren't any hard feelings on that.  I'll start accepting characters now, but since my Internet connection is yet to be installed at home (just moved), I'm dealing with dicky firewalls at work, so this is not the best time to start.

I'll start characters submissions and look at characters, but don't look for anything to start for about a week and a half, or even for any major decisions about in vs. out to come from me until then. 

Quote from: Darwishi on June 19, 2007, 01:01:51 AM
Though a question I had is would the detecives here be normal humans, or would they themselves have some kind of minor/major power? ^^

Good question.  Let's not have any superheroes or demigods to start with, but if you wanted a character with a low-grade supernatural ability, such as a psychic or tupenny hedge magician, I think I can accomodate.

If things go as I have outlined, there will be a point in which one or more character is "altered" by contact with the betentacled horrors, and we get a chance to explore a subtle, slow transformation into something not entirely human, but that's not a starting condition.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Valerian

I like the idea of an "accidental" investigator myself, if that's all right with Eyeomancer, but there are ways to work such a character in smoothly.  Is anyone interested in having my character as a sister/best friend/favorite cousin or the like, perhaps?  Then she could get pulled in through that connection.

Alternatively, perhaps she has some kind of low-level psychic ability that gets her involved in things she'd rather not know about.  In either case, she'd be a team player, so that wouldn't be an issue...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Darwishi

Sent some concepts your way, and depending on which one gets the favorite award will depend on if she has any close family Valerian.  A couple of my concepts fell into the supernatural field by accident.  But I'll let Eyeomancer take a look and see which one, if any, get the green light.

Eyeomancer

Thus far, I have commitments and/or characters from:

elandra:  Character type to be named later
Valerian:  Accidental detective
hairyheretic:  Gun-toting psycho
Darwishi: In negotiation

If you had expressed interest in the game and still would like to see about coming in, send me a brief character concept and a couple paragraphs of background.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Eyeomancer

Oh you say potato, I say psychosis, why quibble over small points?   ;D

Valerian

I just hope he has some really good aim to go with that focus...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Valerian on June 21, 2007, 10:06:25 AM
I just hope he has some really good aim to go with that focus...

Of course.

Except when the caffeine withdrawl shakes start in. Still, its not like a belt fed fully automatic shotgun is exactly a weapon of pinpoint accuracy, now is it?

Hmm ... that reminds me of the character from Split Second.

"Bigger guns, we need bigger fucking guns!"  ;D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Valerian

Quote from: hairyheretic on June 21, 2007, 10:57:19 AM
Of course.

Except when the caffeine withdrawl shakes start in. Still, its not like a belt fed fully automatic shotgun is exactly a weapon of pinpoint accuracy, now is it?
:o

Okay, I'll be standing behind him at all times...
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Amberghylles

I love that movie.  ;D

I've sent a concept in, hopefully I'm not too late. 

Eyeomancer

UPDATE:

The list of approved players and their character concepts:

Elandra - TBA
Valerian - "Accidental" detective
hairyheretic - Very, very focused gun-toting psycho
Darwishi - Femme fatale with a brown belt in judo and a black belt in 'tude
Amberghylles - Parapsychologist
Schnookums - Vagabond defender of humanity.

The following people I'm still discussing fine details with:
Lanzlo

Now you can see that if all of the above come in, that will bring our total up to seven, one more than my comfort level, but given the cooperation and helpfulness I've seen, nothing I don't think I can handle.  *knock wood, crosses fingers, looks around for a four leaf clover*

I'll put up the first OOC thread and post a link sometime today.  This'll be a place for meets and greets so you guys can work otu group dynamics, common history, what you do or don't know about each other, and discuss how long you've been working as a group and with what degree of success.  Take some time to hammer these things out, maybe even freeform a couple of small scenes amongst yourselves.  We're looking to start later this week.

Eyeomancer

And here it is.  Come join the fun!

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=10308.0

I put it up under Weird Small Games.  If things take a turn for the heavy, I'll ask the mods to move it later on.