internet security troubles

Started by wander, April 20, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wander

Got a weird one here...

This has happened twice recently now... I start the computer and when I log in, my internet security hasn't started and doesn't appear in the action center and appears to be set to 'Off' when checking security in the control panel and switching it on doesn't work. It also hangs in starting up if clicking the main icon shortcut on my screen...

What's worse is when this has happened, I can't get on the net, either with IE or Firefox. I fixed it both times by merely restarting the comp and everything is fine, used Malwarebytes and comp seems clean...

It's a real kinda virusy symptom in my eyes and I don't know what's doing it. I haven't downloaded anything new recently and I can't seem to system refresh as when I do it fails and the comp states that the drive may be corrupt...

Everything works fine though and this has happened twice, starting this week. I've not been happy with my comp and it's behaviour so I'll likely start with a fresh OS at some point...

Just wondering if anyone had any opinion on just what my comp isn't liking for it to start and be unhappy with the net and it's security...

AmberStarfire

I had the same thing happen a couple of days ago and it happens sometimes (the antivirus switched to off). Which antivirus are you using?

wander

Kaspersky... It's been decent though I'm considering now switching to something else. I'll be finishing my year soon and I plan to redo the OS and get a new year of security once it's done. Being kinda skin-flinty and wanting my worth from what's left... ^^;

Might be some hitch from an update maybe if it's happened to you too? Never happened before Monday and I'm wondering if it may happen again.

AmberStarfire

I'm not sure. I'm using Panda at the moment, but every so often it does that. I've heard that McAfee can leave files lingering about on your computer even after you remove it. Maybe there's some software left by a previous antivirus that's stuffing with that one a bit?

wander

Yep, I did have that and it did do it. I thought I removed all them with CCleaner however. I guess it won't hurt to do a search and see if any come up. I don't think that's what's doing it though as this happened this week. Could be to do with my time with the current software running out, though that sucks if that's the case.

AmberStarfire

I don't know. It just seems to be something that happens sometimes. I think it might sometimes coincide with a version change of the software (where they ask to reinstall an updated version) but aside from that it just seems random.

Maybe scan with something else to see if it picks up anything.

Oreo

I know CCleaner can sometimes try to override Kapersky. I had to go into mscong>tools and turn CCleaner off on start up. After that my Kapersky was working fine again.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

wander

Ah, that might work a little...

I'll give that a go. It seems something is bothering the net connection at start-up, on the log-in screen it often says I have limited access when the router is fine. If I just disconnect and reconnect in the comp settings, it's usually fine.

Oreo

Yes that is the message I was getting too. I take it you know how to get into msconfig?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

wander

Yeah, I do.

I have now uninstalled CCleaner, I basically haven't needed it in a while, scans show up clean and I've not downloaded anything in some time. I also have ghostery running which tends to catch and block trackers as they show up.

Not sure if that'll help until I turn my comp on again, but didn't see the harm of uninstalling.

Oreo

I do that with Spybot, uninstall it. I have it in my downloads if I need it NOW, but otherwise it messes too much with the running of my PC. The only problem I have with CCleaner is it keeps Kapersky from starting and doing its daily update. So this way it is still on there but only turns on when I want to use it. My three year Kapersky renewal is coming up soon, and I'll be going for it. It's the only antivirus I found I can rely on to get me out of a bad place before I need to use it.

wander

Hopefully it'll work, feeling confident about it. Because it only happened twice and this week, outside of the odd limited access thing (being switched to Off was new this week) maybe it'll work out.