Tomb of Horrors [3.5]

Started by BigBuckBob, June 15, 2011, 11:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBuckBob

I am currently running a game and pan on starting a second. I also intend on correcting mistakes from my first game.

1. Looking for an even mix of male and female characters [4-6]
2. Advanced warning that I dislike combat. But make sure someone can do the fighting, because it will still be there.
3. Due to the nature of the tomb I will be a bit hypocritical. My descriptions of rooms will be quick and short, but I expect detail from you when you make search rolls or walk down a hallway. Give a detailed search description and a dice roll if you want to get more info out of me.
4. I and you will put the name of anyone that needs to respond before forward movement can be made. That/those person/s has three days to post or they will get puppeted. Three consecutive puppeteering episodes and the character will be found dead. [only list people that need to respond to you directly]

ex. There are three doors before you, each at different levels of deterioration. They are the only way forward. [All]
p1- 'Hey dwarf, why don't you check them out. I trust your eyes better then my own." [p2 and gm]
p2- 'aye' He moves toward each of the doors standing in front of each, from left to right running a finger along the door moldings. [search 12 +5/ Gm]
GM- (details about the deterioration, find a slender curved key above second door and make a fortitude roll from the poisoned plant crawling up the third door. ) [details like running fingers along moldings can cause both good or bad things]

5. if you use out of character knowledge to your advantage, it will backfire.
6. You are always free and encouraged to discuss the direction of the rp.

7. Sex will be a factor. magic dildos, sexually voracious skeletons, giant tentacles mass. However, there will be a separate thread for it, after three days, unless everyone is somehow involved.
8. Death will be a factor. it is completely possible that you will die. Or be subjected to torture.
9. while writing this, i have decided we can go ahead and add a male player or two to the already active game.
10. I don't care what you do, but my limits are simple, no waste play, underage, or m/m. Keep in mind that I treat male characters and any character played by a male the same.

Questions or comments?
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?
I am disappoinment width you're grammer.

who149

Sounds intresting. Always wanted to play ToH. I'm in.

Will think of my character and post later. Will probably be a Sorcerer
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Funguy81

Hmm, I am interested in this. What restrictions or anything i need to know about character creation.

ofDelusions

I would also be interested. Dragonfire adept if possible.

who149

What level characters do we make btw?

Ons and offs!

BigBuckBob

Level 9, 4d6 best 3. One reroll.

Restriction is minimal, but if the character turns out to be broken I will fight back

This got more responses more quickly then I expected.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

who149

Ons and offs!

BigBuckBob

Looks good to me.

As for equipment, pick it out and run it by me. I'm not too picky,  my last game the majority of players was nude by the third room.
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

Sethala

I'm interested.  Unfortunately, my understanding of 3.5 is somewhat shaky (played a little bit, but I don't have much for books aside from the PHB), would you or one of the other players mind giving me advice about what feats/items/etc to pick?

The last sentence in the first post confuses me a bit though, can you elaborate?  I tend to almost exclusively play female PCs, would that be a problem here?

who149

Ok. I Gave him some stuff.  Is it good?

Ons and offs!

BigBuckBob

Looks good.

And sethala- What kind of character are you going with?

I probably won't help, since I already have an idea of what feats throw a monkey wrench into my traps, so I don't ant to recommend them, or avoid recommending them. But class and race do tend to give people an idea what to recommend.
----------

Also, why is this lacking the female interest  the last game brought?
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

Sethala

I think I'd like to go with a heavy melee type, or at least someone that can swing a huge weapon without problems.  I'm going to see if I can find more supplemental stuff for 3.5 before I think about it too much more, though.

Ironwolf85

I've gotten used to pathfinder but 3.5 might not be bad to go back too.
I've had a hankering to play a Soulknife (psionic class) Lizardman... not exactly sure how to do that.
if i can't do a psion then maybe a cleric?
i steer away from fighters in 3.5 simply because I like technical fighters and without CMB VS CMD you have to look up a bunch of special rules.
that one change made fighters fun for me
for those who don't know
CMB is Combat Manuver Bonus: Str mod + Base Attack - size mod (small size is a disadvantage)
CMD is Combat Manuver Defence, it works like armor class : Str mod + Dex mod + Base Attack - Size mod + 10

all special stuff like trips, disarms, and grapples, are CMB Vs CMD
feats like Improved trip give a + 2 Misc bonus and negate the attack of oportounity.

figured it might be good to bring up since there will be a lot of "grappling" I'm guessing.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

ofDelusions

Sethala, I can help you build a character if you need help.  :-)

Totally undecided what I will be playing myself.

Sethala

Excellent, thanks.

I'm thinking I'll go with straight Fighter, unless there's a good prestige class in a supplement I'm not aware of.  As for race... since sex is going to be prevalent, I'm probably going to be picky and stick with a "pretty" race, so either human or elf, again unless there's another option in a supplement.

ofDelusions

Human is one of most universally useful races in the game. Bonus feat and skill points are never bad.

How about a Warblade? From Tome of battle. Its basically a fighter with more options in both combat and out of combat. You could say its Wotc's figther remake or a fix. The main thing is that a warblade has more options available to him each turn than "I charge" or "I full attack".

Of course if you dont want to learn a whole new system (the manouvers) standard fighter should work. If you want to just swing a big weapon and deal lots of damage you might want to take feats that boost your charging. Things like leap attack and shock trooper. Perhaps level or two of barbarian for Pounce and rage.

IF you want to punch people into the walls to deal extra damage a dungeon crasher (from dungeonscape) would be good.

Sethala

Found a download for the Tome of Battle...

This warblade looks very interesting.  Seems like it's pretty much the precursor to 4E's encounter powers.  I still have to read through everything, but I think I'll go with this.  If you could suggest any specific maneuvers, I'd appreciate it.

BigBuckBob

Looked into it a bit.

Soulknife approved.

-------------
And Sethala what I meant in is that a female character played by a male falls into the m/m category for me.  [not completely, but enough to change the games tone if we don't start getting female interest.]

So any sexual elements are currently going to be PC on PC.  Or, if playing a female character, directed at ofDelusions
Ons and Offs
Waiting for a Post?

ofDelusions

Quote from: Sethala on June 19, 2011, 12:49:06 PM
Found a download for the Tome of Battle...

This warblade looks very interesting.  Seems like it's pretty much the precursor to 4E's encounter powers.  I still have to read through everything, but I think I'll go with this.  If you could suggest any specific maneuvers, I'd appreciate it.

Many people say that ToB was a playtest for 4e. Don't know which specific manouvers to suggest, will look into it tomorrow.

Quote from: BigBuckBob on June 19, 2011, 12:59:06 PM

-------------
And Sethala what I meant in is that a female character played by a male falls into the m/m category for me.  [not completely, but enough to change the games tone if we don't start getting female interest.]

So any sexual elements are currently going to be PC on PC.  Or, if playing a female character, directed at ofDelusions

;)

Sethala

Quote from: BigBuckBob on June 19, 2011, 12:59:06 PM
-------------

Eh, admittedly that's rather disappointing, but I can understand.

Anyway, reading through some of these maneuvers, I think I like some of the Tiger Claw ones.  Probably go with that, maybe a few mountain dragon ones as well, wielding a greatsword.

Just to make sure I'm understanding the rules properly though, at level 9 I get +9/+4 to base attack bonus, so if I take a full-round action I get to make two attacks, but if I only use a standard action (and say, use a move action before attacking), I only get one attack at +9, yes?  And I can take both a swift action and a 5' step before the full-round action and still get both attacks, right?  For these maneuvers that take a standard action to use, is there any way for me to also get my second attack in the same round?

ofDelusions

Quote from: Sethala on June 19, 2011, 01:18:31 PM

Just to make sure I'm understanding the rules properly though, at level 9 I get +9/+4 to base attack bonus, so if I take a full-round action I get to make two attacks, but if I only use a standard action (and say, use a move action before attacking), I only get one attack at +9, yes?
Yes.

And I can take both a swift action and a 5' step before the full-round action and still get both attacks, right?  For these maneuvers that take a standard action to use, is there any way for me to also get my second attack in the same round?

Yes and no that I know of.

Sethala

By the way, BBB, do you want us to use the online roller for stats?

Ironwolf85

the main problem is doing it in 3.5 I've never done one in that system and it's my first character for the class.
I usually have trouble with 3.5 since my group switched to pathfinder... it feels... clunkier?
anyway I've looked through my books on Pdf, and found that I don't have it, so that is out unless someone wants to help me, I still wanna do a psion lizardman.
it's just going to actually take some working.
if all else fails my warforged paladin is on standby
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Sethala

Still in progress, but here's Aureana's character sheet: http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=8870

Currently I'm in the middle of picking feats, then I still need to pick maneuvers and stances, and get equipment.  I noticed that both Stone Dragon and Tiger Claw favor greataxes, so that'll be my weapon of choice, at least to start out (Warblades can spend an hour training with a weapon to change all weapon focus/weapon specialization feats to that weapon, and I count as having Fighter levels equal to 2 less than my Warblade level for feat prereqs).

Ironwolf85

Nevermind
I found soul knife!
now to find lizardman