Search function

Started by CritJoe, April 20, 2013, 06:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CritJoe

I was just wondering. Is there a better way to search for threads? My issue is I have to manually dig through the forums to find the threads I'm involved with. I tried using the search function to find the threads using the title of the game my group is running. But it either comes up empty or it searches entire threads for every word I search for so none of the results are relevant.

Is there a better way to search? If not is there a plan to upgrade this search function?

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: CritJoe on April 20, 2013, 06:26:35 PM
I was just wondering. Is there a better way to search for threads? My issue is I have to manually dig through the forums to find the threads I'm involved with. I tried using the search function to find the threads using the title of the game my group is running. But it either comes up empty or it searches entire threads for every word I search for so none of the results are relevant.

Is there a better way to search? If not is there a plan to upgrade this search function?

Once you find your threads use the bookmark function to add it to your bookmarks and click the "My Bookmarks" to show your list.  When a new post is added the thread wiil show a "new" orange bubble beside it.

Also, "Show new replies to your posts" in the upper right section will list threads you've posted in that have new posts.

CritJoe

I understand how to use the bookmark function. But our group is not yet at it's thread limit for our size so new threads may be posted when I'm at work. I was wondering if there was a way to only search the title of a thread as this would make it much easier to for everyone to find threads without having to bookmark everything.

I do appreciate the quick response. :D

Beguile's Mistress

Group games with multiple threads should use a common name to start the title.  For example:

Dark Riders:  Search for Survivors
Dark Riders:  Desert Crossing

You can then sort the forum by Subject and scroll through the pages until you find your group.  In addition the GM should list the names of all the threads with links in the OOC, Recruiting, or General Discussion thread for the game.  If you bookmark that thread you can check there each time you come online.

GothicFires

There are other ways, easier? no.

The 'show new replies to your post' button will bring up thread in which you participated that have new replies.... no searching required.

For threads in which you aren't participating but know the title of:
-Open the board they are in
-Click on the word subject in the column header (this will make them all in alphabetical order)
-then click on the pages until you find your thread. Note the number of the page as it will be close to the one you need the next time...

Or.... you can just bookmark the pages you want to track and then click on the Bookmarks button in the menu. Like BiMi said, a 'new' sign will appear in the ones that have new posts. It really isn't alot of work. You only have to click the 'bookmark' in each thread you want to track once.

If this doesn't suit you... you can always link the threads in your o/o thread you are allowed or even bookmark them in your web browser.

don't you love choices?

Edited to add: you can also click the 'notify' button in each thread. That way when a new post is make you will receive an email. Then you can just click the link in the email and it will open a browser page to the thread.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

CritJoe

Quote from: GothicFires on April 20, 2013, 06:45:55 PM
There are other ways, easier? no.

The 'show new replies to your post' button will bring up thread in which you participated that have new replies.... no searching required.

For threads in which you aren't participating but know the title of:
-Open the board they are in
-Click on the word subject in the column header (this will make them all in alphabetical order)
-then click on the pages until you find your thread. Note the number of the page as it will be close to the one you need the next time...

Or.... you can just bookmark the pages you want to track and then click on the Bookmarks button in the menu. Like BiMi said, a 'new' sign will appear in the ones that have new posts. It really isn't alot of work. You only have to click the 'bookmark' in each thread you want to track once.

If this doesn't suit you... you can always link the threads in your o/o thread you are allowed or even bookmark them in your web browser.

don't you love choices?

Edited to add: you can also click the 'notify' button in each thread. That way when a new post is make you will receive an email. Then you can just click the link in the email and it will open a browser page to the thread.

I also love the choice of not wasting thread space on an OOC thread when we all use Skype to talk about OOC stuff. :P Really no hard feelings I already knew about most of the ways you guys are telling me about to find a thread. I was simply asking if there's another search function I don't know about or if there's any plans to refine the search function a bit.

And from the answers I'm getting the answer to both those questions is a resounding NO.

Thanks for the talking down to though, I love being talked to like I've never used a web browser before.

Vekseid

Search is borked until we get a new main server, basically : /

CritJoe

Quote from: Vekseid on April 20, 2013, 07:17:26 PM
Search is borked until we get a new main server, basically : /

Thanks all I needed to know :D

Beguile's Mistress

Sadly what you are looking for doesn't seem to exist here and I truly don't know anywhere it does.

For future reference it would be best to explain all the details you are using when asking for help as that would save those trying to answer you a lot of time that was wasted giving you information you already knew.

Formless

You can always search in threat titles only.

Just check the " Search in topics subjects only ".

This way you'll only get matching results with thread titles alone.