Craft a Cyberpunk world with me! (M4F)

Started by shinshi, July 22, 2014, 10:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinshi

Quote2089, Warsaw-Łódź Megacity. It was morning. Somewhere above the smog, the sun had risen. Its warm rays beat down on the tower blocks of the former Polish capital, glinting off the glossy metal finishes of drones making delivery runs.

But the sun was nowhere to be seen for Lucasz. Deep within the bowels of Residential Block #256, very little was real. A fake window shone brightly with grid-powered sun lamps, warming his skin as he lay on the reclining faux leather seat. Silent. Motionless except for the rapid twitching of his eyes, punctuated only by slow blinks. A high-bandwidth data cable trailed from a nearby rig to the port in his skull. His mind was elsewhere.

He didn't hear the door chime, nor did he hear the screeching of metal as the door was wrenched open by a hulking mass of synthetic musculature named Piotr.

Lucasz was only pulled back into reality by a sharp tug of the cord tethering him to his rig, which was now in the finely manicured hands of Alicja Kominska, heiress to the Łódź Bebok gang -- the sprawling metropolis's second-billed tribe of bruisers and swindlers. Beside her, Piotr cracked his very expensive knuckles which sizzled with sparks.

"Good morning, Lucasz. Tata wants a word with you."

The Challenge

I've got a hankering for some cyberpunk adventures in a dystopian world wracked with crime, corporate intrigue and cybernetic implants. You, me, and a cast of interesting rogues in a world where life is cheap and the stakes are big. Let's take what we love about the genre and build our own world with its own brand of tech and history, and run a range of characters through vignettes, scenarios and larger plots. Expect experimentation and variety as we iterate on the universe we are creating, and deeper plots as we find our feet.

My Inspirations

I am coming into this after a Cyberpunk 2077 playthrough and having watched Edgerunners, but I have a long-lived love for the genre across mediums. We might be on the same page if you know and love:

• games like Deus Ex, Detroit: Become Human or Shadowrun (although I'm not a huge fan of mixing overt fantasy into my cyberpunk);
  • books like Neuromancer, Altered Carbon or Snowcrasher;
  • comics and manga like Ghost in the Shell, Judge Dredd or Transmetropolitan;
  • movies and TV shows like Minority Report, The Peripheral and Blade Runner.

About Me

I'm a 37-year old guy living in Japan -- depending on our timezones that means we might not get much real-time chat. I can generally chat OOC daily, and post once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less, but I am looking for something slow and steady.

I've been roleplaying on and off since around 1997 over a variety of mediums: email, LiveJournal, forums, various chat platforms, and (perhaps my favourite) a wiki.

I will write as much as I can, that will usually mean 3-5 paragraphs depending on the the beats I'm picking up, but I see post length as entirely contextual. Sometimes a single paragraph is enough to keep things fluid, and sometimes you need to dive deep into your character's thoughts. I guarantee effort, not word count.

What I'm Looking For

• You should be 18+, not because we are going to write smut, but there may be some NSFW themes and plots.
  • You should be as excited about world-building as you are about making characters. The world is the true character here, and we will be creating it as we go.
  • Great OOC communication is a must.
  • Reply tempo does not matter -- I'm not looking for speed, and we don't have to chat in real-time. Let's do great things over the course of weeks and months, not days.
  • You can write for characters who might not always survive. It's a dystopia -- people don't have happy endings. We will need to sacrifice some characters to the gods of chaos.
  • You can write for multiple characters. For this to work, we will need a roster of characters that we build over time, picking them up in a different context later as we flesh out their story in some other context.

The Medium

Honestly, I don't have too much preference here. I would like to keep a record of things like important historical events, technology, organizations, so we could have a wiki for some of that, but the actual roleplay can happen in any format: Discord, Google Docs... Let's work it out together!

DM me if the gig sounds good, chooms!

shinshi

Updated after a 7 year absence 🙇

EDIT: I didn't realize this was in the one-on-one forum and that I was bumping it up. Mea culpa!

shinshi

Updated with a very specific idea of what I want -- it's something that's been eating me up for months now. If you are interested, I'm all ears!