News:

Main Menu

XP SP3

Started by Hunter, May 17, 2008, 01:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

Yep, it's out.  And yep, it's as bad as I thought it might be.  But not as bad as I feared.

The idiot prompts that Vista shows don't seem to be present.  But it does slow the computer down some.

Jester

So why would someone install it?

Hunter

Why would someone use Vista?

MissJ

why should someone use windows? hehe

Anyway is there anything positive about sp3? or at least obviously better then sp2?

Hunter

Not that I've found, at least not yet.

The Overlord

Quote from: Hunter on May 17, 2008, 01:14:11 AM
But it does slow the computer down some.

How much is it pulling in way of resources?

ZK

I haven't found it slowing down my PC one bit with XP SP3. All it does is adds some new security and such. And fixes a few minor bugs.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Majere Dreavan

yay
why im running ubuntu...

Trieste

Apologies for resurrecting this from May, but since it's here, might as well use it.

Given what I've heard about SP3, I hadn't bothered to get it, though now I'm getting update prompts to install it. Has anyone else tried it? I've heard nary a ripple about SP3 since May, and I'm curious to know if people feel that it's been ironed out, or if it's still a bother. Google tells me very little other than what Windows released publically about it... which sort of seems like reading war propaganda to educate oneself about the Army. Yeah.

Opinions?

ZK

In honesty, it all depends on your system rig when it comes to any OS. For example, Vista Premium 64 doesn't suck if you have a dual-core (required) to what I have, a quad-core with four+ gigs of RAM. It all really depends on what hardware you have. As for SP3, I haven't heard anything wrong with it; from my experiences and those I know who have it as well. So, try it. It is always possible to downgrade a service pack you know.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

NightBird

FWIW, I gave in and installed it today on two mid-range computers (laptop and desktop) that are 2-4 years old, and both are actually running faster.

Quite a relief, as I'm not going anywhere near VISTA until I can afford to buy high-end hardware, which won't be for quite some time. If I wasn't so pleased with McAfee's networking software and its ability to automatically do key rotation, I'd likely change away from Windows altogether.