Classic Fantasy Campaign

Started by RubySlippers, January 20, 2009, 02:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubySlippers

Will use the Simple RPG System http://dmsteve-jp.tripod.com/
Its just two pages for the basic rules.

Its the time of great adventure when warriors stood tall and magic lived in the mists of legendry. Ever see Sword and the Sorceror, Barbarian Queen, Deathsalker and other really cheesy fantasy movies well there you go!

Players will be in a gritty magic world where spell hurling is kind of rare, adventure is in the offing and savage beasts stalk the world. Be any sort of character you want within reason I'm pretty liberal on that and character generatio is easy your heroes so:

Archetype: Just a descriptor as to your character type you are just one to three words will do.

Stats you get 12 Points.

Skills you get 12 Ponts.

Flaws & Weakenesses Optional: You may take two that add one skill point each, I will use these and they must make sense for the character. [GM Approval Needed]

Magic will come in three sorts:

Magic Rote (That is a skill as in you want to shoot Mage Fire like in the Legend of the Seeker its a Skill.)
Drawback: You lose soul point for using such a skill successful or not.

Ceremonial Magic (That is you do a Ceremony with Stuff to Make the Magic Work, Popular with Summoners and People that Make Magic Items ... See Next Category.)
Drawback: Need to do a ritual so takes time and perhaps very rare components, lose 1 to 6 Soul Points if making a Magic Item (they do not have to all come from the magician but half must, you can pemanently reduce your Soul by 1 to get 6 Soul Points if you want to and sacrificing people can give 1/2 sould point each more for virgins and the like) Also you need the appropriate Ceremonial Magic Skill for each feature you try to use if you want to make a ring with a spirit in it you need Artificing, Summons and Wards to make the item and put in the spirit and bind it to the wearers service.
The skill for this is Ceremonial Magic (insert type - artificing, healing, summoning, wards are most common - others possible see GM)

Magic Items (No skill needed to use and covers all sorts of magic items from potions which are the most common to powerful items of magic beyond the making of any living race - may use up a skill to start with an item of a permanent nature see GM.)

Soul Point Recovery: Magic Rote 1 per Hour, Ceremonial Magic 1 per Day (summoning a creature may demand controlling it in which case recovery is limited to your total Soul Points minus 1 while you control it).

Magic of a religious nature from a diety is no different in fnction save the source of the magic.

Starting Gear: One weapon for each you have a skill for and four other items, you get a suit of clothes to your tastes not overly expensive.

mannik

This sounds fairly interesting, and I have been wanting to try a system game. The system you plan to use seems simple enough, but I do have some questions.

QuoteStats you get 12 Points.

Skills you get 12 Points.

By 12 points for stats I assume you mean 12 points to divide between Body, Mind, and Soul. But the link said skills were not strictly based on numbers. So my question is, are you augmenting the system to incorporate numbers in the skills? Instead of simply having a skill of "lockpicking" would it be more like "lockpicking +3" where I use 3 points for one skill or does it take a certain number of points for each desired skill?

Also, the link didn't mention anything about leveling up or experience. Will there be any increase in player strength as the game progresses and if so, how?Will you be tracking experience gains and each new level gives X amount of points to destribute?

Will you award increases to stats and skills based solely on actions taken in the game? For instance say I start with a wizard type character and through the course of the game I learn some combat techniques from a fighter type character to get a perminant increase in body as well as skill with a sword. (GM's descretion of course.)

Perhaps a combination of the two?

Those are the only questions I have about the system, for now at least.

RubySlippers

I can or cannot use points, I decided to.

As for xp you will get some, after one venture you get 1xp that will be a fairly long length of gaming say you have to kill a sorceror and get a rare component for a sage that would give you 1 xp. You would get another for good role-playing and one more for entertainment value. I assume an NR rating so you score the sorcerors harem and give the movie audience eye candy you get an extra 1 to 3xp.

Now how do you use them?

You can add a skill for 10xp.

You can gain a stat boost in one stat once per venture for 5xp x the current points, these can be accumulated and rasie a stat by one per boost, maximum of three. Say your a mighty barbarian Tharg and have to take out a ogre you can get all heroic, dig deep and channel a big body boost. They also can boost damage by one, and can use three for that but you have to win the contested roll. So say with 6 spent at a key battle you could level a fairly robust enemy.

Then you can add a LIFE the mighty power to actually survive death for 20xp, LIFE POINTS are used up and you can buy one at a time. You will still be mangled or need healing but you will survive.

mannik

Ok, I think I understand. (Going to basically reword it to ensure I do.)

XP is awarded upon completeing a venture. XP bonuses are awarded for good RPing and keeping things interesting.

XP is spent like currency to increase a character's power.
An extra life costs 20XP
A new skill point costs 10XP
The cost to perminately increase a stat is 5 multiplied by current stat, but can only be done once per venture (So if I had a body stat of 3 and wanted to increase it I would need 15xp)
A temporary one turn boost to damage costs 3xp per point but can be bought in one lump sum.

If the above is correct then the only other system based question I have is, do we decide to spend xp to boost our attack before or after the roll? It would kinda suck to spend that much xp just to fail the attempt.

I'll get started on designing my character now if you don't mind me joining in.

RubySlippers

Before even a might hero can dig deep and still miss.

And remember think oldsy bad fantasy movie lighthearted set for NR, so you can be a man kill the kings gurards, ravish pleasantly his wife and end up with him in the epic battle latter on. Want a classic movie in this genre the original Conan the Barbarian Movie would be higher craft and better acted but you get the idea.

And yes wizards and speel using clergy are rare, odds are you will want Intimidate as a skill and Bluff so you fire a lightning bolt at the leader and go - ok who wants some more. Most schmucks know diddly about magic save the horror stories. Being turned into cats and damaged crops after pissing off that crazy old lady.

Also each spell type skill will have a benefit like a Lighning Blast might do an extra damage point if someone is wearing armor or a Mage Fire mystical blast might ignore armor. And yes you can use make magic items to enhance magical powers I won't say how or the profile of them, part of that is your creativity, the classic wizards staff is fairly easy though most of them have one. And wands are also not unlikely as another option. But they are not just laying around in magic shops and most must be specialized to a type of magic. And please mages a skill in Magic Defense might be a good idea.

Overall have fun if you a female and want Jiggling Distraction as a skill go for it - if its an odd named skill a little description is helpful though. As sklls are made up they will be added to the game skills roster for any new players.
;)

Oh and I'm aiming for at least three players.

RubySlippers

First Adventure is Almost Ready: -your characters name to be decided here- and the Beastmen. Your first so your the title character.
;D

mannik

Archetype: Assassin

Description: Daricel Kunyo is a rather hadsome young rogue who constantly has a mischievous glint in his hazel colored eyes. He isn't the sort for a fair fight, much preferring to strike from behind while cloaked in shadows. However if he does find himself standing toe to toe he is more than capable of defending himself favoring agility and accuracy over brute strength and power. The strongest legs in the world can't help you if he takes out your achelies tendon.

He isn't too terribly smart however. And his lack of knowledge of magic means he is particularly susceptible to the 'dark arts'.

He makes his living as most assassins do, by killing rich noblemen by order of other rich noblemen. Constantly needing to scale buildings and run silently through the shadows has honed his body and muscles giving him an athletic appearance that many women find irresistible.

Stats: Body:6
         Mind:2
         Soul:4

Skills: Short Sword
         Throwing Dagger
         Sneak
         Hide
         Sneak attack
         Detect trap
         Disarm trap
         Craft poisons
         Pick lock
         Improved Dodge
         Leather Armor (reduces any movement/action penalties due to wearing leather armor.)
         Strong will (defense against fear and other such emotional factors)
         Nightvision (if weakness is acceptable)

Flaws & Weaknesses Optional: Perverted (-1 to all combat rolls against women...he's to busy watching their breasts bounce or staring at their butts.)

Starting Gear: Short sword, padded shoes, black cloth pants, dark grey cotton shirt, simple leather armor vest and wrist guards.

-------------------------

Edited.

There, that should be better.

RubySlippers

Nice flaw but when I meant 12 skills I meant 12 skills, not skill points. Your a newbie you have had some training but are just beginning your career. And I'm going to require one skills for each weapon type daggers, short swords, long swords although each will cover closely related weapons. The same for any other skill if its broader than Sharp Eyesight or something its not allowed. Most are fine though I like the sneak attack one I will ahve to work out a rule for that.

Overall nice though.

mannik

OK...I will edit it then. I missunderstood what you meant by "I chose to use points." and you did say 12 Skill points in your initial post not just 12 skills, hence my initial confusion.

RubySlippers

Silly me then.
:-\

Well I meant 12 Skills and I will then ,since I should be fair, allow one mudane skill as in non-magical and one many people might have like a weapon skill or something like running at Level 3 free. Oh and don't forget literacy is not assured if you don't buy it you can't read or write. And yes doing that and speaking Ancient Tongue that is language not used anymore is seperate.

Everyone can speak to everyone else in bad movies they never seem to not be able to communicate that way in most cases so it implied, minus accents and the like, you can talk to people and creatures with that ability. In the modern tongue naturally. You meet an ancient demoness that only speaks the former you may be in trouble.

Also for combat skills I will use the weapon for combat be that a weapon or spell, unless another skill overrides it like sneak attack or something then that will be used but offer some benefits once you decide which ones you want.

As for the weakeness for the scoundrel character its -1 normally for any (reasonably attractive) female but if a female like that intentionally uses any skills to distract him it will be -2 on his rolls. Like if a female seductress has Lure Men to Bed (so she can do thefts or garner information using similar skills) he is going to be in trouble but may not mind much.
;D
Flaws for me have to be comparable to specialty skills just bad.

mannik

OK, if I understand your last post correctly, I get a free 'everyone should have this' type of skill. In that case I will go with literacy. What good is an assassin if he can't follow even the most basic of written orders? I may not be able to speak with people who use an ancient language, but those types of characters should be few and far between so I doubt I'd get much use from such a skill.

You could make a simple formula to work with sneak attack, like [normal attack roll] + (1d6 - 3) if I don't roll higher than a three on the second die (50/50 chance) then the sneak attack fails and becomes a normal attack with no bonus damage added and I am instantly discovered. If it succeeds then the result of (1d6 - 3) is added to my damage, meaning I won't have any bonus damage greater than 3 which seems like a nice, round low number to me. If the target winds up being killed by my sneak attack then a hide or sneak check could be done to see if I remain hidden (if there is a group of monsters, they may hear their companion fall, but by the time they look over I'd be back in the shadows or bushes) But this of course is just a suggestion. It's your game, your rules.

I see no problem with female characters being able to compound my character's weakness with skills of their own. It only makes sense.

RubySlippers

I was going to keep the sneaka ttack simple you have to have their guard down and a weapon your trained in melle or ranged (close enough to target the vitals) if you succeed you do 1 Body Extra in damage and fatal bleeding that is without aid the target will lose 1 Body Extra more damage for one round equal to your Sneak Attack skill. In other words if your skill is 3 and you get the drop on your enemy properly first you can do up to 5 Body Damage. Note though this will not work on everything if you can't hit a vital part of the body or have no clue or they don't bleed your screwed.

Like you can jam a mummy in the entrails but its not likely to do more than laugh at you and then rip you apart.

Ideally you will need Sneak, Hide and likely some social skill like Witty Distraction or Insult Enemy to get their guard down depending on your tactics. A woman could use other assets.

mannik

That makes sense. So when combined with a distraction skill I can do a sneak attack, even in the middle of combat? I hadn't thought of that. I'll probably spend my first 10xp on such a skill, unless I can think of another weakness. I also probably be poisoning my blades to increase the damage per turn

RubySlippers

Well they can't suspect its an attack in combat their defenses would be heightened to subtle things like bluffing their guard down, but a crass and skilled insult getting them to blindly attack at least once could if done right.

It all has risks if you skulk into attack or use some other means the end result is no set-up no sneak attack. And yes I will allow non-lethal attacks the classic girl cuddle then knee to the crotch is one in that case the bleed is how long they are seriously in pain and not likely to pose much of a threat unless attacked.

mannik

That makes sense.

So we ready to get started or would you rather try and get some more people?

RubySlippers

We can start one person PM'd me and I hope they join in, but nice thing about this one joins in later we can just plug them in. It worked in Conan the Barbarian movie after all.

I just will need a character posting thread, ooc thread and the adventuring thread. Get them up soon.

Blaze

My character:

Archetype: Thief

Personal details: Deanira, age: 24, human.
Dea has long, raven black hair, and sapphire blue eyes. She is much more the dexterous type fighter, although she tries as best she can to avoid such confrontation.  She’s quite a strong character, and can many times be stubborn beyond reason.  Leaving alone for most of her life she is used to tacking care of herself.

Stats:
Body:5
Mind:3
Soul:4

Skills:
Knives
Pickpocket
Pick lock
Recognize and make poisons
Stealth
Ride
Archery
Survival in the wild
Medicine
Track
Seduction
Persuasion
Optional if flow is approved:
Dance

Flaw: Afraid of water. Ever since she was a little girl Dea is petrified with fear from water and even sailing in a boat is very hard for her.

I hope she's okay. She's not exactly the hero type but I think she'll fit in anyway.

Remember when it rained.
I felt the ground and looked up high
And called your name.
Ohhhhhh Remember when it rained.
In the darkness I remain.

ONS/OFFS

mannik

Hey...I'm an assassin that loves having the upper hand in an unfair fight...not exactly heroic either.

Cedrick

Sounds very interesting and would like to give it a try.

Character: Ranger/Archer

Personal: Rogue Rogash - medium build, medium height, golden blond hair, piercing blue eyes, clean shaven.
              He has spent most of his life in the forests so is awkward around others and hates crowds.

Stats:
Body  5
Mind  4
Soul  3

Skills:
Archery
Short Sword
Leather Armor (Able to operate without restrictions)
Stealth
Tracking
Wilderness Survival
Wilderness Lore (plants/animals/places)
Hide
Literacy (Parents wanted him to be able to draw and read maps)
Heighten Senses (sharp eye sight)
                       (Sensitive hearing)
Sure footed

Not sure if each sense would be considered a separate skill.

Flaw: terrified of large open areas. This is one fellow who could not cross a desert even with a horse with no name.  :)
Extra skill - Acrobatic

Equipment: Composite bow with quiver, short sword with unicorn engraved on hilt, moccasins, light brown supple leather pants, dark green soft cloth shirt under leather armor vest.

Let me know if this character sounds fine. Look forward to starting.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=62526.msg2810491#msg2810491
<a href=" https://elliquiy.com/forums">
Cedrick Please Read

RubySlippers

You don't need a flaw, especially if it would hurt you. The game will take place in the Islands of Skulls to start as in lots of open water and there is a desert kingdom next. Please look to the one that took a more gentle flaw being enticed by women easier that is nice, and not overly harmful.

Cedrick

Okay, forget the acrobat and I will start flawless!   ;D

Ahem, so home is an island. Sounds good to me. Looking forward to the opening credits.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breaths away

<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=62526.msg2810491#msg2810491
<a href=" https://elliquiy.com/forums">
Cedrick Please Read

Sonja

Room for a fourth?  I'm thinking a Dark Priestess character.

RubySlippers

Yes the last slot, but it is for heroes well in a rather loose sense.
;)

Sonja

Cool, I'll keep her morality goodish-neutral.

RubySlippers

I suggest be a priestess of the Snake Goddess Cult she is rather dark but is the popular goddess of serpents, fertility, magic, sexual excess and narcotics. She has temples pretty much everywhere and her clergy are popular.