Worthwhile Documentaries

Started by Trieste, June 11, 2011, 08:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

As some of you may have noticed, I'm kind of a documentary-person. I like to watch them, I like to hear what people have to say in them. I don't like reality television, and I found repetitive things like the series Obsessed uninteresting, but Lord Mayerling was kind enough to recommend the series 30 Days to me, and I really enjoyed some of the episodes.

The most recent documentary I've watched is called After Innocence, and it revolves around what happens to inmates exonerated by The Innocence Project and similar efforts. I'm a strong believer in justice system reform. I plan to spend my career in the justice system, and I hope to bring honor and compassion to what I do. I found After Innocence to be a much-needed reminder that it's not enough to prove innocence (which we never should really have to do anyway, given that we're supposed to be assuming innocent until proven guilty, but that's another discussion). We have to make sure that we work to give people back the lives that were unjustly taken.

I'm not really starting this thread to debate. If someone wants to debate the subject matter of one of these documentaries, feel free to make a thread for it and PM me to bring my attention to it. I'm really looking to see which documentaries (or informative books! I like those, too) people found interesting, eye-opening, shocking, or intriguing. :)

Anjasa

I really enjoyed This Film is Not Yet Rated. Some of it is a bit over the top, but for the most part, well, it needs to be. It's about the MPAA and the hypocritical standards they set (for regards to big names vs. independent film makers, gay sex vs. straight sex, etc.) and a bit about how they operate. I find I reference it a fair bit in discussions about films. That's the one that sticks out to me right now, anyways.

Oniya

I'm rather fond of Terry Jones's history documentaries.  I was so impressed and entertained with his treatment of the Crusades that I bought the box set.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

I'm fond of Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections, and not just because of episode 3.04. >_>

Paul Merton's Birth of Hollywood satisfied both the historian and the cinephile in me. Above all, though, I loved Faulks on Fiction: a four-parter on literature, focusing, for a change, on characters rather than authors. The book spin-off is on my to-buy-ASAP list.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI