Roll20 -- Virtual tabletop gaming

Started by Gatsu, April 24, 2012, 02:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatsu

Ok, I saw this Kickstarter about a week ago and I didn't know what to make of it. However lately it's been gaining some traction and the authors have been posting more videos, which look great. I don't know if you guys have already seen it, but in case you haven't, I think it's well worth a look.

The goal is to make what we do, play table-top RPGs on-line, easier:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rileydutton/roll20-virtual-tabletop-gaming-that-tells-a-story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrNbO5dVVxo&feature=youtu.be
O/O

Tsenta

There's a few good programs out there already that help with dice rolls, maps, etc. I know OpenRPG is one (I know of another but can't remember the name, I hope OpenRPG is the one I'm thinking of though. I loved it.  Be warned, it's not dial-up friendly)
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Gatsu

Thank you, I didn't know about openRPG. It does say it is text-based though, no? Do you know if it supports loading maps, positioning PCs and NPCs, and conversations via VoIP?

I'm just trying to understand if Rol20 is a good thing. To me it looks very cool and useful, but I haven't tried any other similar applications and if, say, OpenRPG already does the same, then it's just me who didn't know about them  :-[.
O/O

Vekseid

Looks like I'm going to have a competitor. : )

OpenRPG supports maps, yes, but getting it to run on people's machines is a pain in the ass, for many various reasons. It's the primary reason why myself and, obviously, these people, are interested in developing a web-based virtual tabletop. It looks like the focuses between our platforms will be a bit different, though, and I'm just one developer.

Gatsu

Quote from: Vekseid on April 25, 2012, 07:39:13 AM
Looks like I'm going to have a competitor. : )

OpenRPG supports maps, yes, but getting it to run on people's machines is a pain in the ass, for many various reasons. It's the primary reason why myself and, obviously, these people, are interested in developing a web-based virtual tabletop. It looks like the focuses between our platforms will be a bit different, though, and I'm just one developer.

Nice! being new I had no idea that you were building something similar. Do you have a thread or website up where you explain what it is that you're doing?
O/O

Vekseid

Not yet, no. My dev notes are in the staff forum for now. Once the private conversation system is working and getting tested, I'll start making more things public until a beta launch, and that will go until I need to do a Kickstarter myself for hardware costs, is the current plan.

I'm going after a different market than they are, obviously, else the freeform types here would start a lynch mob, so the actual 'virtual tabletop' part of the virtual tabletop web app is much less advanced, except for the dieroller, apparently. Like them, though, my app is entirely HTML5 based, so it will work in any reasonable browser, though lots of glitz won't function without something more modern.

Gatsu

Quote from: Vekseid on April 25, 2012, 11:23:37 AM
[...] else the freeform types here would start a lynch mob, [..]
ROFL.

We'll wait then :).
O/O

SinXAzgard21

I'll help support your virtual table top system Veks.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Callie Del Noire

There is also Fantasy Grounds II, which I use for my weekly Warhammer FRPG fix. :D

It runs really well.

AllieCat

And tabletopforge, which I won't use, as it requires Google Plus. :/

RecklessRapscallion

I really hope that they make a variation for the One Roll Engine :D
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash Williams
O/O's - Under Construction

Gatsu

All those options look fantastic. We could create a reference thread for all virtual tabletop options and maybe the people who have used them could add some reviews... or maybe in the wiki. What do you guys+gals think?
O/O