License plates and screw heads

Started by Missy, August 17, 2012, 08:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

I was thinking about starting a new radio show, I don't know anything about cars but do you think anyone would listen?

Okay on to the serious stuff, cause I do have a serious problem that could become more problematic for me if I don't find a resolution soon . . .

I guess it's hard to post seriously because it sounds like such a silly thing to ask about, but I have a license plate problem, more specifically a screw head problem.

I can't change the plate because the screw heads are stripped. You know the part of the screw you use to turn it with your screw driver? The part where you look at the screw to tell if it's a phillips or standard head? That part is stripped so even if I push my screwdriver all the way in as hard as I can push it in I can't turn the damned thing for nothing.

I guess I could just leave the plate there, but I'm bound to be pulled over eventually and then the officer will wonder why my plate is incorrect. Even though I'm a perfectionistic driver it WILL happen eventually. I really need to fix this, does anyone know anything that might help? I'm pretty desperate at this point, cause I have absolutely no mechanical aptitude (you couldn't teach me how to fix a bicycle) so anything at all will help, please.

This makes me feel so ridiculous asking something which should seem so simple and obvious.

Beguile's Mistress

Scott

-What tools do you have? if you have pliers and can get to it, turn it from the outside of the screw head.
or
-Take it to an auto parts store and ask them to help. If your in the Unites States an Auto Zone, or Advanced Auto parts, or Oriley's or even an oil change place might help (probably for free, or offer to buy them a coke or something).

oldodo

You can use a nail file to make a slot for the screwdriver in the remaining part of the head.
There is also a special set of tools, consisting of the anticlockwise drill and special bit that is inserted in the drilled hole and engaging the screw. Before attempting to remove the screw, put a drop of oil on it. Some people advocate Coca Cola for this purpose.

Mr Self Destruct

Another option is taking an oversized screw driver (appropriate for whatever style the head is), and tapping it into the screw head with a hammer.  With it being on your vehicle, you don't wanna wail on the thing, but it might give you enough leverage to be able to loosen it enough to remove the plate.

Or, if you have access to a cut-off wheel, you can (carefully) cut off the screw heads and knock them through with a screwdriver and hammer, and install new screw heads.  Have you tried spraying the reverse side with WD-40?  That's assuming you can access it, however.  I certainly wish you good luck!