Shadows of the Sword Coast (Forgotten Realms 3.5)

Started by Nicolae, October 19, 2013, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicolae

@Countdown0: You're off to a great start! Let's switch over to PMs to finish hashing things out.

Still accepting interested players, by the way. Nowhere near full yet, and I don't have any completed characters submitted yet.
O/O   Ideas

Ghostwheel

Let me read what's been posted thus far, but you probably have my interest... :-D

Florence

I know you said moon or sun elves, but would a sylvan elf be possible? I feel like a wood elf would better fit the whole... druid image. If not... I'm not sure between sun or moon elves xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Nicolae

@Finn: Sure. The reason I took wood elves off the list was because of the cosmopolitan setting, but if the character is from the forest that's not an issue.
O/O   Ideas

Blinkin

*sighs* The concept sounds great and I loved Forgotten Realms as a whole.

sadly, I haven't played D&D 3.5 in nearly 10 years and only once. I don't have access to the books or character creation... If there's space open, might I get someone to help me translate a pathfinder character over to a 3.5 version?

I'm thinking of either a simple fighter who has a tendency to fall into beds at the most inoppertune times... damn her soft heart and romantic tendencies, or a rogue who just likes to have fun...
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Florence

As I've never played a druid before... can I get confirmation on something. When they use their wild shape ability, do their stats completely change to the stats of their new form, or do their normal abilities have any influence on the abilities of their animal forms?

ALSO, Blinkin, 3.5 and Pathfinder are extremely close, so honestly it isn't too hard to go back and forth between the two. I haven't played 3.5 in at least a year or two, but as I work on this character its all coming back to me. I'm not sure if I'd be the best person to help, but I can try if no one else offers.

And... speaking as someone who isn't the DM, I don't personally see why a paladin couldn't have some minor faults... so long as they felt bad about them afterwards :P

Edit: way to edit the original post to make it look like I'm talking to no one about the paladin thing :P
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Blinkin

Sorry about editing out the paladin on you. *chuckles* I didn't know that there was a response before I did it. The reason for that was mainly because I saw 2 other paladin offers already and I didn't think a third would help getting into the game. On the other hand, I didn't see any rogues, and someone has to open those doors and take care of trap, right?

I found an SRD on the D&D 3.5 rogue and the only real difference that I saw was the lack of rogue talents, which isn't a big deal in and of itself.

I think that the point buy system is a little different, but not by much... It's more the feats and details that I'll be missing as I've never actually seen the player's handbook. I had sighted help the first time through as well.

But, if I can get help with feat selection and the skill details, I should be able to spin out a rogue fairly quickly.  I lean more toward rogues than paladins anyway. ;)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Florence

I can try to help, though I may not be very good at it xD

Batman4560

Blinkin

Working on a Rogue 4/Swashbuckler 4... Getting some great help, and I think that I'll soon be down to flaws, traits and equipment.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Florence

My druid's coming along nicely, despite mythweavers repeatedly deciding not to remember what I put down as class skills, and firefox crashing once forcing me to re-do my feats.

... I'd probably switch to plot-hook if I hadn't already put so much information down on this sheet :U ah well, class skills aren't all that important. I'll basically just be leveling the same ones each time, and if I do somehow need to know what counts as a druid class skill, I'll just look it up again xD

Muse

Good morning, I'd very much love to join.  Either as a sun elf fighter/mage, or as a human priestess of lathander.  Does anyone have a preference? 

Blinkin, I'm glad you found the Swashbuckler Class.  Did you notice the Duelist prestige class in the Dungeon Master's Guide?  You might really enjoy it.  Let me know if I can help.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marie Reynolds

I would like to throw my hat in with a Tethyrn Bard/Cleric.

Muse

Any idea what sort of gender balance we're working on so far? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

Yeah, someone clued me in on the swashbuckler and I can merge the sneak attack from the rogue into it so she'll be able to help out in a fight as well as open doors and keep all of your big feet from setting off traps. ;)

I'm playing female, just FYI. A dancer by evening, too curious for her own good at night... although she only steals from bad people. ;)

The only thing I seem to be having trouble with (I don't have tierh book, I'm getting links to source material a bit at a time) is the process of getting enchanted items. Someone mentioned a spellwand bracer that sounded interesting and I want a decent blade for the swashbuckler... something like a Handy haversack would be nice to as her STR is for crap. Some decent armor would help alot too... anyone know where I might find these items?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Florence

My character idea so far is... a milf druid who is into chicks. :o She might be bisexual, but I think she'll lean more towards females, cause... I'm craving some lesbian rp, so sue me.

And she's an elf, so... when I say MILF, I mean. She's probably hella old by human standards xD

I think she's sort of detached from the civilized world... for reasons that are her own, she's focused all of her time and effort into her duties as a druid. She could perhaps be up for some random sexual fun, maybe, I have yet to decide that. She might also just think such things are too... immature for an old hag like herself. She will definitely be hard to get romantically, viewing both herself as being too old for romance, and anything but an elf too short lived to be worth the heartache.

Of course, perhaps someone else could convince her otherwise :3

Of course apart from her age, which, of course, being an elf, she has aged quite gracefully into, there's the fact that she's a wood elf and a druid, and thus... might be a little difficult for proper civilized folk to connect with. But, ya know, sometimes the best things in life are worth fighting for, no?

I certainly imagine her being the oldest member of the party, being in the rough equivalent of her mid-to-late 40's, perhaps even young 50's. She probably looks, to a human, to be in her 40's, maybe her late 30's.

Of course, she's still level 8... but... ya know, that's gameplay, shit happens. xD Wynne is an expert mage in Dragon Age, who has been casting magic since before you were even born, and she's still roughly at the same level as your city elf, who just left the alienage for the first time in their entire life.

Anyway, that's what I have in my head so far. -gets back to work on her sheet-

Landshark

interested but was curious why so many basic races were left off the racial list? Dwarf,gnome,halfling, half orc

Muse

Here's a concept: 

Serge Renard

26 years ago, a young maiden named Marrissa Renard was spurned by the older man she'd fallen in love with on midsummer night. Walking alone in the forest, she was seduced and ravished by a band of satyrs.

Nine months later, their son was born.  Though Serge Renard seemed completely human, he was gifted by his fathers' blood with supernatural resilience against weapons not of the dread metal Cold Iron.  It was just the slightest blessing, but enough that the burly lad never gained quite the defensive instincts he should have. 

As a young man, he worked on his grandfather's farm. His favorite pastimes were reading whatever tome, text, or chap book he could get hs hands on and playing tackle ball with the local boys.  His favorite chore was cording wood. 

Even by the age of twelve, he was tall and strong as many grown men.  By the time he was fully grown, he stood 6'6 and weighed 285, broad in the shoulder and narrow at the hip with sparkling, intelligent green eyes. 

Physical impressive as the handsome lad was, he never truly achieved his full potential in the arena of brute strength.  When he was thirteen, his mother finally married, and his step father wanted nothing to do with his wife's bastard son.  Serge's grandfather arranged an apprenticeship for him with his brother—Serge's great uncle. Alucard, a mage of solid skill but little consequence.   

Already a highly literate boy, Serge took to his lessons very quickly. 

In the year of Shadows, Serge was sixteen, well on his way to becoming a full mage.  But when the gods fell and the world went mad, he didn't have the strength of the art to protect his home, and magic was unreliable anyway, so he took up his heaviest ax and joined the militia, patrolling in large groups to keep back twisted monsters and opportunistic bandits. 

Two years later, a journeyman mage skilled in an uncommonly broad variety of weapons, he let Shadowdale to join an adventuring band, see the world, and grow in the art.  Within 6 years, his skill at arms had opened a door for him and he became what some people refer to as an Eldritch Knight. 

Feats:
®   Militia
L 1   Combat Casting
L 1   Fey Heritage
L 1   Fey Power
L 1   Fey Skin
L 3   Fire Burst
L 5   Extend Spell
L 6   Blade of Force
L 7   Weapon Focus: Great Ax

Flaws:   
--Shaky
--Vulnerable

Keelan

Honestly, I'm interested as it stands.  However my timeline history for the setting is not nearly as good, so if you could please tell me whether this is pre- or post-Eilistraee's death because I would love to make a follower of hers for this game.  Most likely a drow of course, damn ECL, but I just love that deity so!

Been a while since I made a 3.5 char though; been doing mostly Pathfinder but it shouldn't take long to dig up all my 3.5 stuff again.

Muse

It wasn't 'itl third edition that they killed every single god in the Forgotten Realms, Kee-chan.  Eilistraee is alive and well. (And it's not at all uncommon for her followers to be normal half elves.

Nicolae

@Blinkin: Others have offered to help you make the transition, and I'd certainly be happy to help as well. Finn is right to point out how similar 3.5 is to Pathfinder, and you shouldn't have much trouble making the transition. I'd much rather have someone who can put out quality roleplaying and quality writing than someone who's an expert on the rules. If I need a roll from  you, I don't mind telling you what I need you to roll (and which dice and modifier you use for it). Finn is also right to point out that paladins' morality is not as cut and dry as some people want to make it. Yes, they have to be Lawful and Good, but their "morality" is more based on their deity's dogma than anything else. A paladin of Mystra could get away with being creative with the truth as long as she doesn't fail to spread the use and knowledge of magic when an opportunity arises, and paladins in the Realms don't have mandatory chastity (unless it's self-imposed) like some people think. But since you're doing the Rogue4/Swash4 (which would work out very well), the feats you choose depends very much on the type of character you're going for. PM me your sheet when you're finished and we can hash it out, as well as your character's personality.

@Finn: I've seen it played that they get the animal's Strength, Constitution, Charisma, and Dexterity scores but keep their own Intelligence and Wisdom score. The mind remains the same, but the body changes. Charisma has to change too because that involves both outward appearance and speech, which the druid cannot do in normal wild shape form (without a feat for it, IIRC).

@Muse: A priestess of Lathander could be very interesting depending on her backstory and personality. What do you have in mind? The concept you've got there is good but I've got a few questions about it. What is the race of the character (half-fae?) and why is he shaky?

@Keelan: Eilistraee is still very much alive, but drow aren't allowed in the game for now. Some of her followers were moon elves or half-elves, though, if you're interested in that. The upside? No ECL.
O/O   Ideas

Keelan

I have to look up Moon Elves, but could we argue the half-elf as a half-drow instead?  I know they exist but we could also just swap Low-Light for Darkvision instead at 60', and possibly the poison use but I doubt that would fly.

Either way, I'll go read some of the other ideas extolled here and re-read the initial post too...

Nicolae

@Keelan: Half-drow would face essentially the same racial prejudice as drow on the surface and wouldn't be asked to assist the City Watch with anything. They just don't work for the campaign at this point.
O/O   Ideas

Keelan

but... but I like my dark skinned lovelies... ;_;

Hehe, oh well... assuming there is 0 way I can convince you I'll do something else, but I do like drow so I would love if Eilistraee's drow show up in the game some ^_^

Hm... might go half-elf or one of the other elf-types then, but I definitely want to make someone tied to Eilistraee... and possibly to Sharess since I tend to make very sexual characters XD

Muse

Quote from: Calrond on October 20, 2013, 08:06:32 PM
@Muse: A priestess of Lathander could be very interesting depending on her backstory and personality. What do you have in mind? The concept you've got there is good but I've got a few questions about it. What is the race of the character (half-fae?) and why is he shaky?

Hm? Oh, he's completely human.  He just has FAe Heritage feats. :)